back to article My God, it's full of tabs: Vivaldi's coolest new features shine on phones and cars

There are plenty of Chromium-based browsers out there, but few of them fit in as many new features as Vivaldi manages to, or run on as many devices… including cars. As a power user's tool rather than a populist one, Vivaldi's release schedule is slightly more measured than many rival browsers. The latest release of the company …

1. Catkin Silver badge

With background playback and ad blocking, hopefully, this can serve as something of a replacement for Vanced. Also, hopefully, it's generalist enough to keep the Google lawyers away.

1. Snake Silver badge

I'm still using Vanced so, although Google promised to eventually block Vanced, I don't see the problem. Use Vanced until it stops working and by that time a [useful] replacement will probably show up.

2. Piro Silver badge

Newpipe x Sponsorblock

2. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

Why do you need a browser running in your car?

1. teknopaul

Everything is a web app these days

You don't _need_ one but it's handy, because the car ui is designed for when you have one hand on the wheel.

Maps.

Parking apps.

Route finders.

Media player.

Internet only radio.

Audiobook websites.

Phone integration, contact and number finding.

etc ad nauseum

"There an app for that", replaced there's a website for that for many people because Apple have a shit browser, but the rest of the word kept making websites with useful functionality that does not require a desktop.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

For the same reason you need a barbecue, or a sauna - because you can.

This is the insane mentality of people who just can't leave well alone. A car is a tool to get you from one place to another, not an office or entertainment system replacement. No, I do not want a high-end audio system with a 96" flatscreen to watch films in my car. It's nonsense because the sound of the tires on the road are going to spoil any other experience you care to try. Besides, you're supposed to be driving in a car. You have a bloody smartphone to surf the web with.

Stop putting stuff everwhere you can jack it in just because. A hammer does not need to be "smart".

1. Snake Silver badge

"This is the insane mentality of people who just can't leave well alone."

Especially touch screens. In cars.

NO.

I want tactical feedback and fixed functions to allow eyes-on-the-road operation, not a video game where I need to devote way too much of my attention just to change the cabin temperature.

1. MrDamage Silver badge

>> I want tactical feedback

Your last lane change was sloppy, and you left your flank undefended.

1. Sceptic Tank Silver badge

Drive defensively

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"touch screens. In cars.

NO."

You mean touch screens ONLY? Sure, that's a problem but, I'd love to have a touchscreen for music. For a stereo, even in the "old days" where you had buttons, the buttons were never really enough. A nice 12x9 4:3 touchscreen for a jukebox style interface would be pretty sweet. That said, the software to run such a jukebox thingy I have in my imagination doesn't exist so, a touchscreen is _currently_ useless for me :-/ ( I still have hope).

Also, I want a car stereo that NEVER babysits me by tell me that "Listening to loud music may..." and I want it INSTANT ON without bootup bullshit causing delay... I want to be truly startled when I turn the key and the volume is maxed out, like back in the days of tape.

2. Ideasource Bronze badge

Many cars do function as a mobile office within the lifestyle of owner.

When you have many physical sites to visit, and odd bits of downtime that's where you take your breaks, that's where you do all your other work.

The less extra devices tacked up to vent holders and suction cups the better.

3. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

I know I'm a bit of a slob in the real world, but 700+ tabs????

1. Andy The Hat Silver badge
      Happy

I'm in awe of that ... I haven't managed even close to 50 since the demise of the late, great Opera 12 ...

Tabssssss ... <doh!> :-)

1. Gerhard den Hollander

OperaGX , to me at least the spiritual succesor to Opera.

You can ignore all the gaming bits, it actually is a really great browser that does almost everything I need it to do (YMMV)

1. Tams

Opera is the direct successor.

The spiritual is one Vivaldi. Both are Chromium shells with quite a few more features, but Opera is now Chinese owned, so I wouldn't trust it at all.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Trollface

It's called a challenge.

4. IGotOut Silver badge

The audio playback is great...

...YouTube wants you to pay for this privilege....no longer needed.

Well until Google create an "Enhancement" that accidently breaks it.

5. ComputerSays_noAbsolutelyNo Silver badge

Ad blocker

I really like the ad blocker, and YouTube is quite a different experience if one comares it on a vanilla Firefox and a vanilla Vivaldi.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ad blocker

You mean it gets rid of those damn Grammerly adverts? Hooray!

2. Fonant
      Thumb Up

Re: Ad blocker

Ditto for Spotify.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"My God, it's full of stars."

The Reg usually gets these right, but there is no "Oh" in the original quote.

1. Excellentsword (Written by Reg staff)

Re: "My God, it's full of stars."

Sorry, had a bit of a Mandela Effect moment

7. Steve Button Silver badge

Been using it for months now.

I'm liking it a lot. Also been using Neeva for search, as trying to avoid bias.

8. Ol'Peculier

If it had some of the additional blocking tools Brave has, it would be my default browser...

1. Liam Proven (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Purely personal opinion:

Brave has done a number of things that, each on their own, would have condemned it for me.

* The CEO is anti-gay-marriage:

https://www.theregister.com/2014/04/03/mozilla_brendan_eich_ceo_quits/

* They're into cryptocurrencies, and it has its own, the Basic Attention Token (BAT).

* The browser rewrites referrer URLs to pocket the commission:

https://blog.desdelinux.net/en/brave-esta-en-aprietos-por-modificar-urls-y-colocar-enlaces-de-referencia/

* Adding its own referral codes to hand-typed URLs:

https://www.linuxadictos.com/en/controversia-el-navegador-brave-anade-codigos-de-referidos-a-urls-escritas.html

Any of those would be enough for me to drop it. Any two, and I wouldn't allow it near my machine.

All of them? No. Hard no. No way, not ever, not going to change my mind on that.

Me, personally, I run a telemetry-free Firefox fork, but Vivaldi is one of the best Chromium-engined ones out there. (Oddly enough, Edge comes in second for me. Vertical tabs FTW.)

9. FrogsAndChips Silver badge

Autoplay blocking

If that actually works on any website, that's a winner for me. On Android, neither Chrome nor Firefox's autoplay settings seem to have any kind of effect on most videos, and NoScript would be a PITA to use on a mobile.

1. mdava

Re: Autoplay blocking

I tend to browse a limited selection of sites, but it does seem to work as intended (to the extent that I had to permit auto-play on Twitter, as that's one of the few places that I want videos to)

2. TFL

Re: Autoplay blocking

I'm not sure if it's a Firefox built-in feature, but I don't generally have any videos play by default.

So it can definitely work, albeit one of those things where I'd have to look around to tell you _how_. One anecdatum, anyway.

10. VoiceOfTruth Silver badge

Bigger numbers != better

-> The latest release of the company's eponymous browser is version 5.7, while both Firefox and Chrome are somewhere around version 110.

When Firefox went down this route it showed how boneheaded it had become. In terms of features, it is about version 7 or 8. Now if somebody farts at Firefox and adds an even more complicated way to hide some settings, that's a new version number. A(nother) thing which annoys me about Firefox is how it makes connections to IPs which have no DNS entries. This is traffic from Firefox, initiated by Firefox. It has not come from me browsing somewhere. Here's some of the latest examples: 34.110.220.139, 172.217.16.227, 54.201.143.187, 172.217.169.78. Has nobody at Firefox heard of DNS? How about putting in some hostnames so I know where this browser is connecting to. It could be part of the update process. It could be anything. Sure, I can waste my time looking these up. But thanks for the lack of user friendliness.

I have tried Vivaldi. It has some good features. I always liked the integration of Netscape Communicator back in the day, with its small toolbar of icons for each program in the suite. Vivaldi doesn't have that, but it does have integrated web, email, and calendar. The left side toolbar is a bit confusing. In comparison Firefox has become a horror show. "It burns", as somebody said to Quatermass. Also, the ability to sync cross platform such things as bookmarks, settings, and notes with encryption is a good thing.

I am a bit surprised that Vivaldi is not more popular than Firefox. It deserves to be.

1. chivo243 Silver badge

Re: Bigger numbers != better

I see the Pi-Hole blocking this:

incoming.telemetry.mozilla.org

I was a bit shocked when I saw this yesterday.

TBH I tried Vivaldi on several occasions, but I didn't feel it was right for me at the time. Time to try again!

[Author here]

> I was a bit shocked when I saw this yesterday.

I've written about this more than once.

https://www.theregister.com/2022/01/18/foxstuck_firefox_browser_bug_boots/

This is what I recommend instead:

https://www.theregister.com/2021/11/04/waterfox_firefox_fork/

2. thejoelr

I was really confused by this also.

Also, Vivaldi is awesome and I love it. I won't mention my open tab count...

11. Stuart Castle Silver badge

I tend to use Vivaldi on the desktop when I can, despite my employer's instance on Edge (Ah, the joys of being in charge of the company macOS deployment system and therefore requiring admin rights over my own machine). I also use it at home when I can.

I use Safari on iOS, because it's easy. It's quite functional, and generally works ok. I don't dislike it, but I think if Vivaldi had a decent version on iOS, I'd use that.

12. Apprentice Human

But what cost?

Ok, the basic level is free, and that's clear from the article.

The Vivaldi website makes the tiers and extra functionality clear.

But nowhere does it talk about how much the extra tiers cost, or if the tier upgrades are device locked or are portable.

Still a great review. When I tried Vivaldi years ago, I was not impressed. The new version looks like it may get me to move over if the pricing and device portability was easier to find.

Re: But what cost?

[Author here]

> The Vivaldi website makes the tiers and extra functionality clear.

It does? Where, please? I can't find the word "tiers" on their site.

The browsers etc. are free of charge. They are not open source, although many components, such as Chromium, are. A lot of it is in Javascript, which is minified, the company admits that, but people modify it and customise it anyway, and the company not only permits but encourages that.

It's freeware. Gratuit, for nothing.

They are clear about their business model:

https://vivaldi.com/blog/vivaldi-business-model/

They accept donations because people asked for them. You can buy merchandise.

https://vivaldi.com/contribute/

But it's free and there is no paid tier I am aware of. Please correct me if I am wrong!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Alas, its email client misses a rather vital part..

Vivaldi has no ability to access and use a carddav source which prevents the email component from being actually useful.

Caldav? Fine, hooked up in seconds.

IMAP/SMTP, yes, no problem, multiple accounts are easy, and even supports aliases and full format signatures.

Carddav .. wait, WTF? Where? Oh no, it ain't there. &%$#@

That's like building a car with no tyres on the rims. It'll work, but not that well.

14. captain veg Silver badge

on Android

Why isn't Vivaldi on Android the same as on any other platform? Why can't I press the F12 key and see the developer tools? (I have a manufacturer supplied keyboard attached to my Android tablet, so it's not because I can't press F12.) Why doesn't the Android version of Vivaldi implement the F4 sidebar functionality of the desktop version?

I use it as my daily driver, because for me it's the best, but that's a very low bar. Why are *ALL* the browsers on Android crippled in these ways? Even just viewing page source-code requires arcane knowledge.

It just so happens that I've recently been in conversation with a web site concerning just how badly their experience sucks on an Android tablet. Had the standard dev tools been available, it would have been massively easier for me to explain what's going wrong.

-A.

Re: on Android

[Author here]

> Why can't I press the F12 key and see the developer tools?

That's a legitimate question.

I mean, you answer your own question: because 99% of Android devices don't _have_ a keyboard. My Gemini does, but it has no F-keys. But some do, as you say, and you can connect one.

Have you raised this with them? I suggest doing so.

1. Piro Silver badge

I salute you for still using a Gemini. My wife still does, but only because the Cosmo had so many issues.

She's waiting for the Astro to arrive. Planet have missed the mark by several miles with software support, it's a disaster; they sell devices they haven't updated for years! I doubt the Astro will be different, but she demands the real keyboard...

2. Ideasource Bronze badge

The Android side of the chromium code is somewhat stripped.

So those features have to be ported or reimplemented.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like