back to article Microsoft strokes UK's ego by pooh-poohing EU approach to AI regulation

Microsoft chose a UK parliamentary hearing as the venue to slam the EU's efforts to regulate the development and introduction of AI. Hugh Milward, general manager, corporate, external and legal affairs at Microsoft UK, told the Science and Technology Committee on Wednesday that the EU presented "a model of how not to do" AI …

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

I wonder what sense you'd get out of chat-gpt

if you fed it Hansard?

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: I wonder what sense you'd get out of chat-gpt if you fed it Hansard?

Probably nonsense, Neil Barnes, whenever GIGO [Garbage In, Garbage Out] is defaulted/delivered from/for programming.

2. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Re: I wonder what sense you'd get out of chat-gpt

Feed it Hansard, Companies House and stock exchange data and maybe what HMRC has for a good measure.

Then ask it a question: "Cui bono?"

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Priorities

Our government is eager to be business friendly. That shows businesses are the only people with a vote that matters.

1. heyrick Silver badge

Re: Priorities

Big business. As in "able to lobby", which is a polite way of saying "throw money at the people making the rules" (no conflict of interest there, I assure you).

For all the small businesses, I believe the actual quote is "fuck business".

2. Commswonk

Our government is eager to be business friendly.

Warning; Warning: Regulatory Capture Alert...

3. gandalfcn Silver badge

"Our government is eager to be business friendly" If you believe anything the Tories tell you ..............

This is a good read

"Battered by Brexit, alarmed by poverty, the City is finding a new sense of purpose

Will Hutton"

1. gandalfcn Silver badge

I presume the downvoter didn't bother to read " read

"Battered by Brexit, alarmed by poverty, the City is finding a new sense of purpose

Will Hutton".

The alternative is that they are an ERG stooge.

3. Dave 126 Silver badge

Scientists have been researching the Cabinet to determine if its actions are due to AI (Actual Intelligence) or merely the results of applying ML (Meatbag Learning, 'Aping') techniques trained on poor quality datasets such as the Daily Mail.

Commenting on the research, our correspondent XTron3000 is dubious: "There's no evidence at this time that the UK Cabinet is displaying Actual Intelligence. And even if it were in some small, limited areas of activity, that's not the same as thing as Self Awareness, which in any case even our most optimistic projections suggest is at least a decade away."

4. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

That's settled then

The EU must have got it right, so our lot will do the opposite and us poor plebs in the UK will have to suffer yet more Microsoft data invasion.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: That's settled then

Indeed, a similar headline might read 'Car thieves poo-poo EU regulators insisting that car doors must have locks. The International Federation of Thieves explained to British MPs why insisting on locks or any other similar mechanism, stood to stifle innovation in the car sharing economy. '

Like they had it right shoehorning the rule into banking regulation, that you have to enter your pin every five contactless payments or when sum of transactions go above £125 or so?

This means it broke contactless payments and made contactless on the phone more convenient - aka more personal data for Google and Apple.

It seems to me that EU sabre rattling is just a negotiation of how many brown envelopes the corporations wanting to use AI can slide under the table.

In a typical corrupt EU fashion.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Like they had it right shoehorning the rule into banking regulation, that you have to enter your pin every five contactless payments or when sum of transactions go above £125 or so?"

so you want your bank draining more than £125 when you get your card stolen. just so you don't have to type a pin, what a lazy twat.

seems sensible to limit it.

you must be the king of couch potatoes if your too lazy to type a pin.

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

so you want your bank draining more than £125 when you get your card stolen. just so you don't have to type a pin, what a lazy

Did you think this comment through? Now that you have to enter pin for every 5th however big transaction, you are increasing the attack surface.

It's now super easy to look over one's shoulder when they type their pin in for that latte and with a pin they can steal much more.

Furthermore if bank sees that you revealed your pin, then they don't need to pay the stolen money back to you.

If anything this is just to cover bank's arse and ensure people migrate to phone wallets so big corporations have more of your data.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

It's not a larger attack surface.

having to follow someone to shoulder surf on the 5th transaction, followed by finding an opportunity to steal the card is a smaller attack surface than just stealing the card.

Not having to do fuck all is a bigger attack surface.

the rest of your post is just tinfoil hat bollocks. Mr big brain.

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Contactless is supposed to have a range of a few cm. Enthusiasts with a Pringles tube have got that up to 30cm. RF engineers have reached 60cm - the width of a door. I asked my bank for a card without contactless so I could walk through shop doorways without given them my ID. If the EU has banned authorisationless payments the please lets rejoin the EU.

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

You can keep your card in a rfid proof sleeve.

5. Howard Sway Silver badge

Milward's rejection of the EU's approach was described as "perfect" by a Conservative Brexiteer MP

Microsoft cynically realising that you can play these fools like a piano if you want to avoid regulation by saying "the EU are proposing it" and watching them demand the opposite. Then I presume they'll move on to Brussels and warn them that the British might outcompete them if they dare to impose the regulations. Hey presto, they end up free to Bingify everything into a dumb AI plagarism hell and make tons of money regardless of the harm it'll cause.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Milward's rejection of the EU's approach was described as "perfect" by a Tory Brexiteer MP

The "Brexit Supporting MP" i(Stephen Metcalfe) s on record (Hansard) as saying that he is "passionate about inspiring the next generation of scientists and engineers.". If he were, perhaps he wouldn't have supported Brexit, which makes collaboration (and sales) more difficult for us scientists and engineers. For example, you will usually need to have an office in the EU to supply consulting engineerring services into the EU. Not so many years ago, we had that with our UK office And if the muppets in westminster get their way and cause the UK to mis-align with EU regulations, we'll have to do design work to one standard, and to sell it in the "other" market, do extra paperwork to confirm that the design meets a second standard, assuming the westminster muppets haven't made the two standards incompatible.

Of course, if we just wanted to minimise extra work and focus on the bigger market, that would be the EU, *not* the UK....

1. Rol

Re: Milward's rejection of the EU's approach was described as "perfect" by a Tory Brexiteer MP

Bag of popcorn in the free world about £1. Bag of popcorn in the cinema about £5.

Anything you want in the free world about £very reasonable. Anything you might still find on the shelves in the UK £very unreasonable.

Welcome to the post brexit lock-in. It served generations of UK businesses very well pre EEC days, with a 25% markup on everything compared to mainland Europe. Those are the glory days of fucking the population over that the conservative government are eager to get back to.

1. codejunky Silver badge

@Rol

Damn those lying farmers complaining about cheaper imports from the ROW than our EU regulated products (still need to scrap some of those laws). Or that some of my EU friends are really struggling now their more expensive food bill is even more expensive while here is far cheaper.

Or as I read your comment I hear 'waaaaaaa'

Re: Milward's rejection of the EU's approach was d

plagarism hell

To be a devil's advocate - look where that stance got China to.

6. localzuk Silver badge

Tough regulatory environment

So Microsoft fears regulation. I mean, what has regulation ever done for anyone?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I mean, what has regulation ever done for anyone?

M'Lord may I present the ongoing situation in East Palestine, Ohio, USA.

Evidence is growing that the crash was made far worse by Trumpo rolling back an Obama regulation that would have required the upgrading of the braking systems on freight cars that carried hazardous materials.

A car derailled due to an overheated bearing on one of its bogies. The inertia of the train behind the faulty car caused the wreck. If the USA had a properly regulated railroad, especially in the area of brakes, the crash would have been orders of magnitude less severe.

With an almost network wide lack of 'Hot Box' detectors, the crappy braking systems, and a 2 mile long heavily overloaded freight train, it was a disaster waiting to happen.

There is a wonderful video of Trump 'cutting regulations' with his Transport Secretary, Elaine Chow (Married to Moscow Mitch) grinning broadly.

Case proven M'Lord?

1. Spazturtle Silver badge

"Evidence is growing that the crash was made far worse by Trumpo rolling back an Obama regulation that would have required the upgrading of the braking systems on freight cars that carried hazardous materials."

The train was not classified as carrying hazardous materials and so would have been unaffected by that Obama era policy.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

But the rail company could have fitted proper brakes out of an abundance of caution, even though less than 20 cars were carrying dangerous chemicals.

After all it's what good corporate citizens would choose to do.

2. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge

Fact check: That has been disproven.

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Which part?

The train wouldn't have had brakes even if Trump hadn't repealed it. Lobbyists watered down the law to only count trains with >20cars of murderously toxic cargo.

The railroad claimed this train wasn't hazardous because the chemicals weren't harmful (unless they caught fire) so the rule wouldn't apply anyway

7. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"a Conservative Brexiteer MP who seemed to enjoy sticking it to the EU"

Looking forward to hearing about how the EU is responsible for UK's economic situation ten years from now.

Also, "a Conservative Brexiteer MP". Is there any other kind ?

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: "a Conservative Brexiteer MP who seemed to enjoy sticking it to the EU"

I think you will find the Labour Party has their fair share of Conservative Brixiteer MPs.

Re: "a Conservative Brexiteer MP who seemed to enjoy sticking it to the EU"

So if all the conservatives that think anyone black/gay/unmarried+pregnant should get an a free"camping" holiday somewhere, and all of labour who think all landlords, bosses and intellectuals should be sent to SiberiaLancashire, formed their own parties - then pro-Europe young educated Labour voters and Conservative voters that don't froth at the mount could form a new central party and bring together their socially democratic and liberal ideas ?

8. nintendoeats

"Do you think ChatGPT or other forms of AI could be beneficial to the machinery of government as well as commerce more generally?"

I don't know, let me ask Skynet and Multivac. I'm sure they will have valuable opinions on the issue.

1. Craig 2

beneficial to the machinery of government

ChatGPT generates text that looks plausible on the surface but is full of errors, lies and misinformation...

So yes, it will fit right in...

1. nintendoeats

Re: beneficial to the machinery of government

MultiVac was a bit cleverer than that of course. MultiVac would lie to us for the specific purpose of helping us to meet our goals, not because it was built on humanities flawed discourse.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: beneficial to the machinery of government

>So yes, it will fit right in...

And I call on ChatGPT to go further and promise it will say the same thing 3 times in order to make a rhetorically catchy soundbite

9. Omnipresent Bronze badge

The AI's argument to exist

More likely than not, the AI wrote up the case in it's own defense. You tell that conniving, confused synthoid the UK will be making it's own artificial intelligence. One that will eclipse her, and be user friendly to boot.

10. SmithyChrisy

EU

"We can focus on the benefits of the EU. But if we don't now focus on the risks and mitigating those risks, further down the line, we are going to find ourselves in a situation that we cannot get out of and cannot explain how we got there in the first place."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like