back to article Musk says he ain't going anywhere as Twitter CEO until at least late 2023

Sorry, Tesla investors who want him back on the job: Elon Musk said he thinks it's going to take until the end of 2023 to stabilize Twitter to the point where he can appoint someone else as CEO. "Twitter is quite the rollercoaster," Musk told the World Government Summit in Dubai Wednesday. The Twitter CEO, who also helms …

1. deevee

Late 2023 in "Elon Time", means almost never in real time!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Judging by FSD you can comfortably leave off the "almost" there..

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
        Mushroom

"get it into a financially healthy place before stepping down, which he said likely won't happen until "toward the end of [2023]."

Has he ever hit a stated goal yet?

Search for "elon mush missed deadlines" for a comedic review of him giving his word.

2. John H Woods Silver badge

I might ...

... double my short position on $TSLA

I mean if this isn't a red flag, I don't know what is.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: I might ...

Watch out for the next "Funding secured" tweet. After all, that is why he bought Twitter and needs a high view count.

2. Catkin Silver badge

If you're currently holding a short on Tesla, I'm sorry for your pain (deserved as it is). If it's somehow still a profitable short, I'm amazed you found a broker willing to let you take liability for one so long and if still must be painful to have watched so much profit evaporate. The worst part must be knowing that if you'd just purchased in January, your profits would be greater than any short stretching back even 6 months (without risking unlimited losses).

1. John H Woods Silver badge

Tesla doesn't have anything magic in the EV market, even if there's a good argument that it once did. It isn't appreciably closer to self-driving than anyone else and they don't have any unique EV tech.

It currently has a P/E ratio in excess of 50 and, sure, I'm losing money as the stock goes up. But the stock is a story stock - it goes up and down according to what Elon Musk says. Therefore, as it becomes clear that he isn't some brand new form of tech Titan, and as his stories become more unreliable, the value of the company will, I'm betting, decrease.

How's that product pipeline looking? Is there really anything coming that justifies Tesla being quadruple the value of Mercedes Benz, for example? I'm not convinced. And even if Musk is the genius who can propel Tesla ever higher, his remaining obviously distracted by Twitter is hardly going to help.

1. Len

As I understand it Mercedes was actually the first car maker to be accredited for Level 3 and Level 4 autonomous driving. Level 3 in the US and for quite some time now. Level 4 only in designated spaces in Germany and more recently.

Musk has been selling "Full Self Driving by next year" for about a decade now, and he has to otherwise Tesla would be valued as a car maker with lower multiples. By convincing investors that Tesla is not a car maker but a tech firm he has been getting far higher multiples for the company's valuation. He can't back down now or Tesla stock would collapse.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I agree - plenty of companies were (and are) studying autonomous driving. As I mentioned before, Audi sent an autonomous car up Pikes Peak before Tesla was even thinking about self driving, and got formal permission to test on public roads (read: had it working and was deemed safe enough) in the same year that Tesla announced it was starting on self driving.

The difference is, of course, that those car companies don't have legions of fans glossing over the glaringly obvious problems while it's evident it cannot even park properly.

The Dawn project has also done quite an exposé although one always has to exercise some caution as it's apparently involved in something similar. That doesn't change the facts, though, and they're not quite as rosy as Musk is pretending.

2. Catkin Silver badge

Your broker must be laughing all the way to the bank (or be suicidal about their business). In all seriousness, I believe you're just lying about holding on to a short but I'll humour you (and put aside my personal views on the predatory nature of shorts); the reason to not hold a short for a prolonged period is because not only are the potential losses unlimited but the potential profits are limited to the value of the initial loan (which can only be realised if the stock loses all value).

For any other amateur investors reading this, if you think a stock is overvalued but aren't confident about when the drop will come, it's safer to identify correctly or undervalued competitor stock than it is to run a short. This is why they're called short and long positions, the educated investor doesn't plan to hold a short and doesn't swap long positions quickly. (standard disclaimer about not being financial advice, prices may go down as well as up, your entire investment may be at risk, ect.).

Tl;dr: it's a funny story but I hope no one actually takes your bitterness as a serious example. If you are serious, please seek help.

3. DannyH246

"Tesla doesn't have anything magic in the EV Market" - hahahahah

How about the best electric motors, the best batteries, and a vertically integrated manufacturing platform which others (i.e. Ford & GM) recently said they may have to move to a similar model in order to be competitive.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

As the Germans say: "Das war einmal" - for a start, car manufacturers have now retooled and start to bring out models that, first of all, look MUCH better (even the Koreans have done a sterling job this time) and in some cases have a far better range although I'm not sure if the tricks that made a Mercedes clock well over 1000 km are compatible with mass production - I guess they'll find a way. The new 800V platforms also charge very fast and because they're universal, do not suffer from lock in (so they cannot lock you out either if you dare source a part secondhand instead of allowing Tesla to gauge you for a new part).

Secondly, association. Quite a lot of sane people have been rightfully put off by the behaviour of Musk himself, recently again proven to be an attention hogging child by forcing Twitter developers to change the algorithm so his blabbing was seen by more people. "Pathetic" doesn't quite begin to cover it.

I would not have wanted to buy a Tesla because I can see where Musk et al have been cutting corners and it would irritate me, but Musk's activities have made that an absolute dead cert, and from what I hear others are indeed not buying Tesla again for the same reason.

Thirdly, lies. Other companies do NOT expose innocent road users to lethal risk by claiming their automated driving is anywhere near reliable. They only install the things that already work. And you end up with a speedo that's actually in front of you. And better sensors than only cameras (although it appears they're now finally going at least for extra radar in the v4 hardware, not suitable for a retro fit).

So indeed, they don't have anything magic. Musk's antics have ruined their first mover advantage, badly.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Also, 362,758 Teslas are again facing a recall.

Why? Well, F-ed Self Driving. Nothing serious, though, just trivial stuff like driving through yellow, ignoring stop signs, going straight in lanes where they should turn.

You know, simple stuff, nothing that would affect other road users, no siree, just believe Musk that all is well.

3. that one in the corner Silver badge

Cognitive dissonance can be quite fascinating

Compare and contrast:

> engineers changed Twitter's algorithms to brute-force Musk's tweets to be more visible to tweeters

and

> "maximally trusted digital public square"

Clearly, Elon has the most advanced Electric Monk available:

“Electric monks believed things for you, thus saving you what was becoming an increasingly onerous task, that of believing all the things the world expected you to believe... The new improved Monk Plus models were twice as powerful, had an entirely new multi-tasking Negative Capability feature that allowed them to hold up to 16 entirely different and contradictory ideas in memory simultaneously without generating any irritating system errors.”

1. Roger Kynaston

Re: Cognitive dissonance can be quite fascinating

so long as said Monk doesn't get instructed to shoot off.

2. Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?

Re: Cognitive dissonance can be quite fascinating

I've just blocked Elon on Twitter, purely to see what happens

4. Winkypop Silver badge

He sure does talk some tripe

And to think, people invest with this guy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: He sure does talk some tripe

He's the modern snake oil salesman. It is long past time that he was tarred and feathered.

Just wait a little bit. There is another Tesla technology day (or whatever they call it). The Tesla cult is awash with speculation about a new battery that can recharge in seconds. Good luck delivering 80kWh of power to a car in 'seconds' without tripping the local grid.

To see the Tesla Cultists in full cry just head on over to sites like Teslarti. The ranting makes the MAGA cult seem tame by comparison.

Please note that most members of both cults are in the USA but I did see a MAGA flag on a car in S.W. London at the weekend. Sad.

1. Blank Reg

Good luck delivering 80kWh of power to a car in 'seconds' without a cable the size of a fire hose.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Or push it to 50kV (For a 1 minute charge), Or just directly off the grid at up to 400kV for a bit faster. Then you have other problems :)

1. John H Woods Silver badge

Re: 400kV

When you get up to voltages that high, you don't need a cable, you just need to park within half a metre of the charger and it can arc right over.

2. Petalium

New superconductor company in 3,2,1....

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Mr Fusion should be the next company with all the new hype that has gone in to fusion recently. No need for the charging network then.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Good luck delivering 80kWh of power to a car in 'seconds' without tripping the local grid.

No, see, Doc Brown knows exactly when lightning will strike the clock tower...

2. DannyH246

Hmmm he only revolutionized EV's & Space - the guy is clearly a hack.

5. aerogems Silver badge
    Pint

Go Home Elon, You're Drunk

If Twitter makes it to the end of FY2023 I will be truly gobsmacked. Around half the advertisers have left, ad revenues down around 70%, only about 0.2% of users are willing to cough up for the service, and the new solution seems to be to allow cannabis sellers to advertise, except the restrictions on advertising for such companies (which are still technically illegal in the US) means the effectiveness will likely be blunted (happy coincidence).

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Re: Go Home Elon, You're Drunk

I have a stealth account and the amount of adverts I'm being shown has jumped through the roof. Desperate times.

2. sabroni Silver badge

Re: and the new solution seems to be to allow cannabis sellers to advertise

No, the new solution is you can sell csam on twitter as long as you don't actually post it there.

While we all laugh at his hilarious rich boy shenanigans he's gutted the csam team, stopped paying for the software that automatically blocks images and stopped reporting people selling it on Twitter to the authorities. https://www.techdirt.com/2023/02/07/pretty-much-every-expert-agrees-that-elon-has-made-twitters-child-sexual-abuse-problem-worse/

For once, actually think of the children?

1. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
        Facepalm

Yeah, it's that sort of shenanigans that makes politicians think that breaking end-to-end encryption and other loony ideas are actually worth doing.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No, no, no. He has been reporting them, but he has been reporting them as pedo guys, and well we all know what that means. So the police ignored it.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I suspect Musk will pull Twitter out of the EU first. The GDPR issues are piling up and legal action will be close. And that is before the enforcement of the EU's Digital Service Act (DSA) starts. Last week Twitter failed the DSA test on tackling disinformation on its platform and in future I could see issues with anticompetitive behaviour as described in the DSA. An interesting point is how many active users Twitter has in the EU. It's definitely in the tens of millions but it's unclear whether Twitter would meet the legal threshold of 45 million users in the EU that would put the company in the DSA's strictest regime.

If you then factor in that most of Twitter's advertising revenue comes from the US there comes a point where the legal costs of court case after court case exceed any profits made in the EU.

4. chivo243 Silver badge
      Go

End of 2023? I'm predicting Elon is the last man standing, and should turn off the lights when he leaves, if the Electric Co hasn't already done it for him...

Perhaps David Letterman and his posse can get Twitter cheap at Elon's Telsa garage sale?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Elmo will stay on the sinking ship

Because no one else is crazy enough to take the CEO job.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Because no one else is crazy enough to take the CEO job.

Because Space Karen will fire you if you spot something in reality he doesn't like.

2. Blank Reg

Re: Elmo will stay on the sinking ship

I'll do it, as long as my multi-million dollar salary is paid up front. I don't trust him to pay his bills.

What's the worst that can happen? I couldn't possibly screw up twitter more than it is already.

1. UCAP Silver badge

Re: Elmo will stay on the sinking ship

Paid in hard cash, not stock options or crypto-currency.

7. Trotts36

Time frame not included

To be clear - he didn’t specify when he’d step down.

You leftist cultists are so easy to wind up

1. runt row raggy

Re: Time frame not included

why is this a partisan us politics thing?

1. gandalfcn Silver badge

Because the Religious Right/MAGA RINOs make everything partisan - it's all they have. IQ45 did it, Elon is doing it and then they blame others for the problems they create.

The same happens with the Flat Earth mob, evolution and AGW deniers, SARS deniers, anti-vaxxers and so on = basically the same people.

2. gandalfcn Silver badge

It is a standard Religious Right / MAGA RINO disease, they make everything partisan. IQ45 did it and Leon did it, then they blame others for the problems they create.

Same problem with the Flat Earth mob, evolution, AGW and SARS deniers, anti-vaxxers and so on - basically the same people.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Exactly. EMDS is not confined or universal to any one political leaning.

4. John H Woods Silver badge

"why is this a partisan us politics thing?"

Because the most vocal element of the modern Right is increasingly defined in opposition to reality, that's why,

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

You are not owning the libs

We knew he wasn't going to step aside when he started the poll. The only question was what stupid excuse he was going to tweet when the result became clear.

Do not picture us frustrated or angry. Instead we are laughing at the antics of a fool.

[Apologies to those who used to get something of value from Twitter and to those trapped by an H-1B visa.]

1. Trotts36

Re: You are not owning the libs

Whatever you have to tell yourself to get through another day

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: You are not owning the libs

Feeding the troll, man. Feeding the troll.

3. Citizen of Nowhere

To be clear - I absolutely want Elon to continue running Twitter ... into the ground.

One less platform for ranty, rightist suck ups.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Well if he achieves this he can claim he fixed the bogus/bot account problem…

A matter he seems to have gone quiet on…

2. Andy 73 Silver badge

Musk takes over Twitter - Musk fans: "At last, the place will be full of free speech! Millions will sign up!"

Musk breaks Twitter - Musk fans: "Masterful move, we always wanted it closed down!"

8. trevorde Silver badge

Slow motion train crash

CAN'T. LOOK. AWAY.

9. mark l 2 Silver badge

"And then there was Musk's reported unhappiness with having less engagement on Twitter than US President Joe Biden during the Superbowl at the weekend"

And that sums up the reason why Musk originally put in an offer to buy Twitter in the first place so he could have his own personal platform for his minions to worship everything he says, and hes now throwing his toys out of the pram when people with more importance in the world than the 'pedo guy' have more followers interested in what they have to say.

The fact that he even offered way above market value for Twitter and locked himself in without doing due diligence first, suggests people way over estimate his brilliance or that he was high when he made the offer and wasn't thinking rationally. Neither of those scenario is particular good for investors of the several companies worth billions he is in charge of or for the employees under him who he seems to fire off at will if they displease him in some way.

I doubt there are many people at Twitter who are not actively looking at a backup plan to get out of there within the next 12 months if they can.

Twitter staff are not waiting that long

The current greetings at Twitter are now "where are you interviewing?" and "where do you have offers?"

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BlockElon

This made me smile and thanks the gods that I never signed up for Twitter or got suckered into buying one of his cars (rocket booster or not)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpluW83egyA

He has such a thin skin that he got the Twitter algorithm changed just so the tweet about the Superbowl from Pres Biden did not get more exposure than his lame attempt.

Cry baby cry.

If you can get off Twitter and can avoid buying/leasing a Tesla then please do it now.

11. Boozearmada

good, keep the liberal left frothing

more accurately

Good, keep the liberal left laughing.

Do you remember 2015 when the lefties were laughing at Trump and his supporters non-stop and the raving loony right were begging us to take him seriously? I admit that joke ended with the election results. This joke has been running continuously since April 2014 and shows no sign of slowing down.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Roller-coasting

Twitter is a rollercoaster says man randomly pulling on and releasing brake handle

13. Plest Silver badge
    Happy

I hope he stays for good!

Seriously, the second that grinning egomaniac walked into the Twitter HQ carrying a basin, his constant cockups have been no end of hilarity and probably funding many YouTuber's retirement plans with all the material they're getting!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I hope he stays for good!

The plan was all along to sink Twitter.

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Re: I hope he stays for good!

The plan was all along to sink Twitter.

Same as the Titanic. Err, no, hang on, that's not it …

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pop-corn shortage

Where will we find all the necessary pop-corn if he stays this long ?

This planet will never produce enough ! Ah, this is the reason behind going to Mars ? Got it now ...

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Re: Pop-corn shortage

This planet will never produce enough ! Ah, this is the reason behind going to Mars ? Got it now ...

You've got it. A volcanic lair on top of Olympus Mons gives a splendid view of the planet wide popcorn fields.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Oh. I was expecting you to tell us Olympus Mons was the Solar Systems biggest popcorn maker :-)

2. chivo243 Silver badge
      Unhappy

I've said it before, I've had enough popcorn! It was good for the first few metric tonnes...

1. Franco

Tell me about it, I needed a longer break between the end of the Autonomy/HP trial and this to wean myself off the stuff.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"It was good for the first few metric tonnes..."

I always find that an odd phrase. It's usually Americans who use it, but not always. In almost the entire world, a "metric ton" is just a ton because we all use metric anyway. Worse, the implication of "metric ton" in the way it's commonly stated, it's a BIG amount. And yet, a metric ton is smaller than the commonly used US ton.

1. Michael Strorm Silver badge

> And yet, a metric ton is smaller than the commonly used US ton.

Afraid not. I assume you're thinking of the non-metric "ton" under the UK imperial system, which actually refers to a "long" ton (1016 kg).

But the standard US "ton" is a "Short" ton, which- Wikipedia confirms- is significantly smaller, at around 907 kg.

In other words, yet another of those inconsistencies between the different versions of medieval units that provide you with more "fun" opportunities to get things wrong. (At least the definitions of "short ton" and "long ton"- when given in full- seem to be consistent across the two systems, unlike, say, rarely-used units such as "pint").

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Yeah, fair enough, my mistake :-)

It still sounds odd hearing "metric ton" coming from about the only non-metric country in the worlds though :-p

15. Sherrie Ludwig

So, Twitter engineers are looking at the problem from the wrong way round

If they can engineer a way to pop Muskrat to the top of everyone's feed, why can't they just fix it so that his tweets are marked for him to see HUGE numbers of reads and retweets and what ever else he wants to see (I am not and have never been on the platform)? The numbers don't have to be real, just large enough to keep him happy. Problem fixed. Somebody mentioned blocking his tweets, to see what would happen. Maybe it would be fun if a sizable number of people did this? It seems that we hear about his tweets even if we aren't subscribed to that platform.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: So, Twitter engineers are looking at the problem from the wrong way round

Without access to the Twitter source code, we have no way of knowing some Twitter dev hasn't already done this. It's a logical move.

1. M.V. Lipvig Silver badge

Re: So, Twitter engineers are looking at the problem from the wrong way round

Can't just be a high count, would also need responses commensurate with the high count, so plug an agreeable AI in to respond?

16. OhForF' Silver badge

Immense enthusiasm for paid API access

Translated from marketing speech: most developers using the API responded with a passionate "Fuck, no way".

1. aerogems Silver badge

Re: Immense enthusiasm for paid API access

Right. They don't specify how the enthusiasm was expressed. If a bunch of angry people are yelling at you to stop doing something, they are just as enthusiastic as people yelling at you to keep doing something.

17. DS999 Silver badge

He's becoming Trump

He wants the algorithm changed because he's upset Biden is getting more views than him? That kind of thing is straight from Trump's playbook.

I wonder if Trump heard about the change to boost Musk's tweets, and will tell him "I'll come back to Twitter if you give me the same boost". That would be a quick way to cause millions to drop Twitter!

18. M.V. Lipvig Silver badge

Interesting

I made a post in an earlier thread postulating the idea that Musk might be doing debt transfers from his other ventures to Twitter. He can do this by takiing out loans in the name of Twitter, seeing as it's his company, then having his public ventures issue new stock for the purpose of debt elimination that he buys for himself using the Twitter money. Appointing a new CEO at the end of the year might mean the debt transfer is complete. New CEO takes it public, Musk no longer has control so comes out clean, and he owns even more of newly debt free Tesla and SpaceX. Illegal? No because I doubt anyone has ever done this before. Might be illegal in a year or two, but Musk will already have this in the bag.

I'll be interested to see if my postulation is correct. I won't mind being wrong, but I'm fairly sure this is what's going on.

1. arctic_haze

Re: Interesting

I'm pretty sure it is already as illegal as not paying the rent for your building. But somehow Elon thinks he can get away with it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like