back to article Intel inside a world of pain as revenue plunges by a third

Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger has expressed confidence in the company's trajectory despite posting a $700 million net loss on revenues that plunged 32 percent during the fourth quarter of FY 2022, to a measly $14 billion. "Clearly the financials aren't what we hoped for, but we're also pleased with the execution process we made," a …

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Slash spending and layoff employees

Fortunately the semiconductor business doesn't rely on massive capital investment in R&D and advanced production kit or on skilled experienced and expensive engineers

1. TReko

Re: Slash spending and layoff employees

They've already laid off most of their top engineering talent, and spend little on R&D.

Intel had an effective monopoly for 10 years until 2019. Their chips got 5 to 10% faster per year, which was all that was needed.

They got out of the mobile device and network market in 2007, just before it boomed.

1. Harry Kiri

Its been interesting how the hungrier AMD has caught up with Intel - at one point it looked like they were going to the wall and failing. I was told a long time ago that people work best when they're 'hungry', before anyone gets narky about pay and literal hunger, the comment meant not having gazillions in the company bank account that you can free-wheel on and hungry to prove you can do it. Intel have been fantastic over the decades but someone always catches you up or chases an innovation you didn't think to pursue.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
          Happy

As an aside, many years ago I read that a study had determined people were at their most intelligent when a little hungry and a bit cold.

1. Harry Kiri

If you could dig up a reference for this I'd genuinely be really interested!

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge

I wish I could! I used to do an enormous amount of reading in my early 20s and am pretty sure it was around that time. I can mentally 'see' a thick large format publication but not which one it was :(

1. Smartcom5

As posted before, you likely mean that phenomenon nicknamed "Empty-Stomach Intelligence". See my post above.

2. Smartcom5
              Holmes

I'm sure you don't mind me covering for Will Godfrey, but as he already tried to put it;

People are most intelligent when hungry and a bit cold.

… which means, he already had a plenty breakfast, as obvious as it gets. ツ

The study he likely wanted to source:

»Always Gamble on an Empty Stomach: Hunger Is Associated with Advantageous Decision Making«, from 2014.

Source: National Library of Medicine · National Center of Biotechnology Information – PubMed Central (www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/)

URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4207792/

The phenomenon is called ›Empty-Stomach Intelligence‹.

For instance, here's some article from 2006 from the NYT of it (https://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/10/magazine/10section1C.t-1.html).

2. DS999 Silver badge
        Facepalm

They got out of the mobile device and network market in 2007, just before it boomed.

Even worse, they owned what was at the time the fastest ARM core (acquired from DEC) and Steve Jobs approached them about making SoCs for the as yet unannounced iPhone. Apparently Intel's brain trust decided it was better to sell off the IP for that fast ARM core in 2006 to Marvell and tell Jobs to pound sand rather than get in on the ground floor of a smartphone revolution. They probably believed Bill Gates' vision for Windows Mobile devices was going to rule the future.

Instead Apple has been pumping countless billions into TSMC for the past decade and making them the dominant player that has left Intel in the dust.

1. 0verl0rd

Intel once owned 16% of Imagination Technologies, whose chief customer became Apple! Only to license Imagination IP for Atom Z series, which targeted Smartphones and CE 3100 in a variety of set top boxes!

But if dual Xeon corporate smartphones had ever taken off - imagine the profit margins

1. that one in the corner Silver badge

Imagine the batteries! Back to 1980s Brick phones.

Which could then be marketed back to the Very Important Execs as a feature: "Imagine yourself in the movie Wall Street" (pink tie and braces included)

2. Lars Silver badge
          Coat

I think what happened happened long before we need to talk about the iPhone or Windows molile.

" Texas Instruments licensed the ARM7TDMI, which was designed into the Nokia 6110, the first ARM-powered GSM phone.[3] This led to the popular series of Nokia phones using the processor, including the 3210 and 3310."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM7

3. Jaybus

Mobile market, yes. Network market, no. They sell a lot of WiFi modules, not to mention the majority of server Ethernet NICs.

1. flokie

Any source for your claim they sell the majority of server NICs?

I wouldn't expect they do - their NICs are more expensive than their competitors' and the chipsets for IceLake and Sapphire Rapids don't provide LAN-on-motherboard (part of the PCH with Skylake/Cascade Lake). Servers today typically have an OCP slot and all major NIC manufacturers provide options in that form factor, not just Intel.

1. _olli

Intel sells embedded x86 processors and FPGAs to mobile network manufacturers. Oh, and they also tried to sell their 10nm chip fab services to one major 5G mobile network manufacturer just few years ago, but because of their infamous 10nm trouble they couldn't really deliver working chip, which almost sunk that poor customer.

4. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Intel had an effective monopoly for 10 years until 2019

One of the enterprise architects at a previous orkplace was adamant that we buy nothing else other than Intel because "with those others you never know what bugs they have and Intel is clean".

Then the news came out about the FDIV bug. Oh how we laughed..

(He had to allow the 68000 CPUs since that's what the Macs were using then..)

2. pimppetgaeghsr

Wasn't this guy paid $180m according to recent headlines, whether that is stock/cash split I don't think it matters at those levels. That is a third of the companies losses. Why the F does he care about Intel anymore? And why do his next 10 ancestors for that matter. It's just the same problem for these boomer led shitfests that are failing semiconductor companies. It would be fine if there were consequences at the top level, but the reality is they will just cry for more handouts from Uncle Sam rather than be forced to innovate and restructure their entire culture.

Roll on AMD earnings. I'm long $AMD.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
      Terminator

Looking at all these stories about events which are just a small image of the world situation, I expect that we're going to see some big issues in the next five years or so, as the world economy gets better and worse. I'm worried that the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer ... locally I'm seeing a lot of "homeless" people in the USA working and only getting paid $10 a day.

We need to make this a better world for everyone.

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Welcome to neo-feudalism orchestrated by Davos.

2. Grunchy Silver badge

“$10 a day,” you could get that with two good pan-handlings. Minimum wage is either $15 an hour now or imminently, thou doth exaggerate overmuch? I may be poor in actual “cash” terms but I’ve got me plenty of cast-off HP, WD, Netgear equipment. Granted not quite a full-supercomputer, but getting there. In me basement!

2. Jaybus

Yes. Gelsinger made $178 million in 2021, of which about 80% was stock. His predecessor Bob Swan, made only $66.9 million. By contrast, Lisa Su of AMD made a mere $60 million in 2021. Is the AMD board sexist?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Gelsingers stock compensation was tied to market capitalization. He only got the full payout with something like a doubling of Intels market cap which uh, obviously didn't happen.

Mind you, nobody is gonna shed any tears for him, but the 180 million payout didn't remotely happen.

1. pimppetgaeghsr

Therein lies the problem, the stock market is completely detached from reality, he has only to make promises to raise the stock price, suddenly now Free Cash Flow matters and he will likely exit within a year and the next out of touch boomer will take the helm.

3. CapeCarl

"Rome wasn't installed in a day"

I spent almost a decade (2012 - 2021) tending to the physical and emotional needs of a handful-of-thousand servers in an HPC cluster...A definitely Xeon-infused shop. A couple tire kicking looks at AMD servers in the middle of said tenure, then EPYC comes along...And yeah installing a thousand Rome servers took more than a day.

OK, not at Google or AWS or Tencent scale, but still a lot of sockets lost to Intel's 14+...+++ issues.

I don't wish Intel ill will (OK making two Intel 8008s talk over a serial port in an EE class in 1977 was a pain as was 286 assembler). But they need to find a DeLorean and a flux capacitor, go back about 10 years and fix their management team.

Re: "Rome wasn't installed in a day"

> go back about 10 years and fix their management team.

They just need to go back to a world where PC and server spend went up every year and they were a monopoly

1. Lars Silver badge
        Coat

@Yet Another Anonymous coward

"They just need to go back to a world where PC and server spend went up every year and they were a monopoly".

Yes the good old times you can read about in "Inside Intel" by Tim Jackson , very recommendable.

"Intel exerts industrial muscle on the same scale as Microsoft, yet its customers and PC users have little idea of the realities that lie behind its much-promoted logo. Its technical triumphs are matched by aggressive marketing and by millions spent on lawsuits to preserve its dominance and its secrets.

Founded by two of Silicon Valley's most gifted engineers, Intel has been run for most of its history by Grove, a brilliant and hard-driving scientist who fled communist Hungary and waited at tables to put himself through college in New York. With the motto that only the paranoid survive, Grove has moulded Intel in his own image, and built it into one of the most powerful and successful companies in America."

1. ontheonehand

I worked for Intel for a couple of years in the eighties, it was when the 80386 was in full swing. I recall one meeting in Phoenix where the new company strategy was being shared with us underlings. This was to initially build PCB sub-systems to sell to OEMs, then to use that as a springboard to become a system manufacturer themselves. The belief was that systems were more profitable than chips. This was also the year they came up with "Intel Inside" to try and capture some of the system value for the chip. The tagline presented (maybe by Grove?, I can't remember) was "We've conquered semiconductor hill, now let's climb system's mountain". They clearly had no foresight into the golden goose that the PC/x86 duopoly had landed in their lap. They were undoubtedly brilliant engineers (not me, I hasten to add), but memories of that meeting always left me thinking that the business execution had a lot of luck. I guess that at least they had the sense to drop that strategy as the rivers of cash from x86 swelled.

4. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Joke

The World of Pain is old but I still love it!

"Outside my window is a tree; There only for me, and it stands in the grey of the city. No time for pity, for the tree or me. There is a world of pain, in the falling rain around me." - 1967, Disraeli Gears.

I remember listening to this when it was released and being scared initially, but loving the album back in those days when I saw the Cream and it's still wonderful - I'm going to put it on again right now! Yes, we all talk about the world of pain but it seems like we never do anything to fix our issues. I'm not going to gaslight about it, I'm happy to try and help poor people even though I'm not rich. I love the world, it's just that "our" part has issues.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: The World of Pain is old but I still love it!

LOL, so I posted that thought on Friday and then on Sunday we got five and a half inches of rain. It's only sprinkling now so all is well for us.

5. Babbagabacus
    Holmes

Value for money

I'm not sure what Intel hopes to achieve with Gelsinger, other than to rid themselves of a combined $180 million in salary, bonus, stock per year.

Intel is at least 2 jumps behind AMD in the server market, a generation behind in the desktop chipset and has missed multiple areas of innovation over the recent few years, not least of all the GPU boom lead by NVIDIA.

This seems typical of flabby US corporations - establish a lead, rest on one's laurels, get smashed. We've seen this with Boeing, Lockheed, IBM, to name but 3

The next step - already underway - is to whine to the US government for subsidy to cover up . Central Ohio is looking forward to becoming the next state of the art FAB, I'm certain.

1. Boo Radley

Re: Value for money

Even though they recently broke ground in Ohio, and put out grandiose plans for their fab there, has anyone heard anything about them canceling said fab? The local newspaper still thinks it's gonna get built.

2. FIA Silver badge

Re: Value for money

This seems typical of flabby US corporations - establish a lead, rest on one's laurels, get smashed. We've seen this with Boeing, Lockheed, IBM, to name but 3

"You're suggesting people should learn from others mistakes, Centurion.

We in the Roman army don't hold with that kind of constructive thinking.

It's okay though, it'll never happen to us."

(In latin obvs.)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gelsinger the saviour?

I know his appointment was seen as exciting as he’s an engineer rather than a beancounter. So perhaps he needs some time to bed in before being judged?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Babbagabacus

Re: Gelsinger the saviour?

Did Gelsinger accomplish anything momentous with vmware? The company could have owned the entire ecosystem, but it failed to follow up on innovative thinking such as VSAN. Thus, it's now entering the dark chasm of bloatware.

7. Slx

Intel seem to have managed to miss several boats. I don’t understand how. Tbh

1. pimppetgaeghsr

Accountants in charge.

8. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Prediction

So my prediction was correct. Intel gone back serving Russia because they look to be desperate for any money.

Some lines shouldn't be crossed. Intel shares are the source of stink in any portfolio. Just put them in the bin.

1. _olli

Re: Prediction

Not so fast. It's better that NSA has backdoor to russian computers rather than MSS of China. Or sorry, not a backdoor but a "management engine".

9. FIA Silver badge

Pat question here....

Why isn't he kicking anymore?

Why did he used to kick things?

Or have I made that all up in a fevered dream??

10. Grunchy Silver badge

Yep I can confirm about those server sales, I just picked up another DL380P Gen. 8 for $34.33. It’s not “perfect,” first of all it’s 22nm product dating from 2013 (and some of the fans got liberated). Also, a rack mount ear got clonked. Only 24GB system ram. And as usual, somebody ran away with all the HDD sleds. Nevertheless that’s a good buy of about 50 lbs of top HP + Intel tech!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There should have been a class action lawsuit against HP's Gen 8 Servers, given so many fail from an inherent design fault, the iLO4 firmware for years made continuous heath data writes, destroying the onboard flash chip. Not least, because HP put the firmware updates behind a paywall to correct the problem, and even if you did eventually update the firmware the damage by then was done.

I'm yet to see a HP Gen8 machine that was fixed by the advisory put out to fix the problem, the so called iLO 'Format Flash' sticking plaster repair, seemed like utter fakery by HP, to bat away businesses/consumers attempting to get a replacement mainboard outside warranty.

And dealing with HP Support is like pulling teeth, at the best of times, just awful.

11. Kev99 Silver badge

Boo-hoo-hoo.

12. xyz123 Silver badge

Sapphire Rapids. $600 for the processor. $50/month enforced "subscription" to unlock cores/features you already paid for.

so a Sapphire rapids over its 10yr lifespan will cost around $6000. PER CPU. PER MACHINE.

and Intel wonders why its losing customers

13. Walt Dismal

there were signs before

I could smell this coming under the previous CEO. I was approached by an agency for a contract position and interviewed with a team. I detected signs of stupid things in the project and its team's clearly offshored H1Bs and backed away. I later wondered whether the same signs would exist in other projects in the company. Now I am more sure they were.

14. milliganp

Put this on his gravestone!

"but we're laser focused on controlling the things that we can."

It's the things you can't control that do the most harm.

15. luis river

Great AMD chips

Absolute awful situation, dont is possible yet today reign Intel 70% X86 markett. AMD chips total superiority dont is rewarded !!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like