back to article Defra 'confident' it has 'handle' on risk for 30% of apps out of support

The UK's department for farming and agriculture has said it is "confident" it is managing the risk related to a whopping 30 percent of its applications being out of vendor support. The Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) has one of the biggest problems with legacy IT across all UK government departments, …

1. Eccella
    Facepalm

Hope as a strategy!

"hopefully, they won't fall over and won't be subject to [a] risk of cyber-attack"

1. AMBxx Silver badge

Re: Hope as a strategy!

It'll be all those ActiveX plugins in IE!!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Hope as a strategy!

Don't forget all those Excel97 spreadsheets vital for transferring data back and forth

20% in support... hmm... Whatsapp for the DEFRA ministers?... Teams for the hoi-polloi?...

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"It's possibly slightly worse than described"

No my dear, it's much, much worse than described.

We'll be hearing about this again, I wager, and the picture will not be so rosy.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: "It's possibly slightly worse than described"

No my dear, it's much, much worse than described

Having just been through the delights of Cyber Essentials (we were informed that, were we to not be certified, Bad Things would happen to us from our parent Government body - who, ironically are not themselves CE certified) I can confirm that the whole process is much, much worse. A lot of it is utterly pointless form filling. The irony is that (unlike how is used to be) they don't actually check to see whether the data you've given them is real (they used to come on-site and do an inspection of the data and then do some random sampling). Then the process changed and all that went away.

Automatic fail is to be running stuff out of vendor support unless it's so segregated from your network so as to be effectively unusable.

So Defra clearly are being held to a different standard - is their minister a chum of the Cabinet Office minister?

1. sten2012

Re: "It's possibly slightly worse than described"

I used to do these and the on site reviews "in the beforetimes" but..how on earth did you fail a self attesting scorecard check boxing exercise?

Clearly too honest to do business with this gov, guv.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Depressingly common.

The bean counters/C-Suite routinely ignore warnings of systems/software coming up to their end-of-life, yet decide to do nothing about modernising it. All too often the belief is that, as it's not broken, it's not worth spending money on.

I've lost count of the number of times I've raised issues with stuff going end-of-life, raising risks when it *does* go end of life, yet still can't make those at the top commit to doing something about it.

What is especially annoying is that these idiots still expect platinum support on systems that should have been retired years ago, then get all arsy when they don't get it!

4. xyz Silver badge

Oi!! That's my photo...

If you look closely you'll see a monkey in the hayloft.

BTW, any news on the Teams/Outlook kerfuffle that even those speedsters at the BBC have on their site.. The shame of it, El Reg now slower than the BBC.

5. gandalfcn Silver badge

This government is even more dysfunctional than the last few so I expect a total cock up is arriving.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like