back to article Twitter tweaks third-party app rules to ban third-party apps

After leaving third-party developers of Twitter apps with no information about why their software had stopped working last week, Twitter this week offered an explanation of sorts. "Twitter is enforcing its long-standing API rules," the biz said on Tuesday, January 17. "That may result in some apps not working." It would take …

1. Bebu Silver badge

Plummeting sperm whale?

Whole fiasco reminds me of Douglas Adams' plummeting sperm whale in his Hitchhikers Guide.

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/198068-another-thing-that-got-forgotten-was-the-fact-that-against

"What’s this thing suddenly coming towards me very fast? Very very fast. So big and flat and round … ground!"

"And the rest, after a sudden wet thud, was silence."

"only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again."

1. Victor Ludorum
      Thumb Up

Re: Plummeting sperm whale?

I came to this comment just as it had received 42 upvotes...

1. Elongated Muskrat Silver badge

Re: Plummeting sperm whale?

I have held off on giving it a further upvote, I hope others do too.

2. Mitoo Bobsworth

When Twitter twits it's last twat...

... I hope it's someone quoting John Cleese's epic rant at the end of the Parrot Sketch from Monty Python's Flying Circus - that would be a fitting epitaph, I think.

1. GraXXoR

And when Twitter Twats it's last Twit.

...I hope it's Elon who finally gets a bowl of petunias dropped on his head.

3. redpawn

Be Thankful because

Musk could be working on World Peace or vaccinations instead.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: Be Thankful because

He is, but just not in the way anyone really would want...

2. glennsills

Thankfully, he is not. Things could be much worse on World Peace and vaccinations front.

3. teknopaul

Twitter's death is pretty close to world peace.

Probably a good thing for vaccination programs worldwide.

4. T. F. M. Reader

Body count

So will Icon Factory and Twitterbot (et al.?) now lay off the employees who were working on the apps and will they be counted among the people rendered jobless by His Muskiness?

1. Frank Bitterlich

Re: Body count

If they make a good Mastodon client, thay can count me as a customer. Maybe it's time for them to leave the sinking ship and take up the opportunities created by Musk's hissy fit.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No surprise there then

Given that his Lordship Elon won't sell spares directly to Tesla owners and that his serfs in the service centres are the only ones permitted to work on his creations.... not allowing other clients to use Twitter seems very predictable.

Not on Twatter. Never have been so good luck banning me Lord SKUM

1. bazza Silver badge

Re: No surprise there then

Wait, Tesla won't sell spares to customers?

Crossed off my list permanently...

1. vtcodger Silver badge

Ahem ... why would an overpriced vehicle whose operation is subject to the whims of a raving lunatic have been on your list in the first place? Nothing against EVs. If you live in a mild climate, don't drive long distances, have reasonably priced electricity and expensive fossil fuels, and have a place to charge the thing, an EV might be a good choice for your next car. Just probably not a muskmobile.

1. bazza Silver badge

Ah, the ambiguity of the English language; they weren't on the list to begin with, a long term situation now made permanent. The no-spares straw that broke the camel's back...

2. Crypts Bloods

Clearly you never drove one. Safest, fastest, and most economical car on the road by a wide margin. You should rent one for a day. They are really fun to drive. As for overpriced, clearly you don't seem to consider the entire life cycle cost including trade-in. Tesla's are a bargain.

So many people have their panties in a knot over Twitter. Zoom out a little and all of this seems really silly. Social media will continue to churn with the flavor of the day - Remember Myspace? Ask Jeeves? GeoCities? Elon say a lot of silly stuff. I pay more attention to what people actually do. But at the end of the day one million emission free cars does actually move the needle. What have you done to mitigate climate change? Recycled some cans?

1. LovesTha

Total lifecycle costs have changed a bit recently with plummeting second hand values.

1. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

'changed a bit' I presume you are British, and this is an example of our propensity for understatement. Elon shafted the 2nd hand Tesla market. Depreciation values vary quite a bit, but I think it's safe to say if you were looking to shift a Tesla that was only a couple of years old, you're buggered now, people can get a new one for what you would have been looking for.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Note that the new ones lack some essential features like assisted parking, the radars & lidars having been removed without the cameras taking their job... (the software update is not yet deployed AFAIK)

2. sabroni Silver badge
            Coffee/keyboard

Re: Safest

Is that a fact?

3. Elongated Muskrat Silver badge
            FAIL

Your first example there, MySpace. That went well for Rupert Murdoch when News Corp paid $580M for it, didn't it?

4. Roj Blake Silver badge

Re: one million emission free cars does actually move the needle.

It's a shame that Teslas aren't emission free.

5. MrDamage Silver badge

Given that a 10 year old hyundai has better build quality, and finish, than the Teslas being pumped out at the moment, I'm gonna pass. Inconsistent panel gaps belong on a $5k Mahindra, not a $50k Tesla.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

Yup, look at "Rich Rebuilds" on YouTube for an absolute eyeful of what Tesla does to an owner that needs parts.

3. Ian Mason

A friend's uncle just had to swallow a £3000 repair bill on a Tesla that had the electronics controlling the door handles fail. So yeah, Tesla definately off the list permanently.

This uncle is special he's just bought more Tesla stock, after the recent stock price crash and after that repair bill. If that's what it takes to be a Tesla owner I'm rather glad not to be counted among their number.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

To be fair, my 2007 Audi has an issue with the passenger door handle and I'm looking at a quote for €400+.

On the other hand, it is a 2007 Audi, not a much more recent Tesla.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: To be fair

£400+ is a fuck sight less than £3000 so your point is what?

6. ChoHag Silver badge

Leeching off a leech

> To put it simply, thousands of refunds would be devastating to a small company like ours.

Where'd I put that violin?

1. Nelbert Noggins

Re: Leeching off a leech

Don’t understand the downvotes, maybe it’s just the wording.

If your business relies on a single supplier, whether that’s for virtual or physical goods/services, then you either have a major flaw in your business plan or accept your survival has a single point of failure outside your control

Twitterific has been around since 2007 and isn’t a charity or operating on donations and has had 9 years to ensure they have a working business that could survive a supplier loss.

If your contract with your paying clients allows them to request a refund because you aren’t providing the service/product you sold them, why shouldn’t they?

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Could it be people are objecting to the basic lack of compassion?

They are not complaining that their major revenue stream has been cut off without warning. (If you are a small business you are acutely aware of all the things that could sink you but which you do not have the resources to mitigate.)

They're asking they don't get lumbered with a massive debt.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
          Boffin

Re: basic lack of compassion?

Elon Musk seems to have a total lack of compassion.

As he moves more and more to the right politically, what little he had drained away just like his master at grift, Donald 'drain the swamp' Trump.

2. Youngone Silver badge

People might be downvoting because of the lack of compassion, it's true, but Icon Factory thought they were farmers when they were in fact sharecroppers.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes, no business should be solely dependent on the whims of another, but that doesn't make them leeches.

That's why I downvoted.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Does Twitter charge for access to the APIs? If so, then charging for their app and not wanting to give refunds after being cut off with no notice makes a bit of sense. But if the Twitter API access is free or very low cost, then how much money were these companies making? That might affect how some people feel about them.

1. Frank Bitterlich

That's called synergy, not leeching. There is a platform that makes sense (well, before it was ruined by its new owner), and there is a company that makes a good UI for it. Platform, software company, and users profit from that. In normal business relations, that's a win-win(-win) situation.

Now the platform shoots down the app makers, without warning, and making it sound like they were freeloading on the platform, where in reality, they improved the product.

Since the app makers are just a tiny fraction of the size of Twitter, they will lose, whether it makes sense or not.

How that affects your view of Twitter is up to you.

2. Ace2 Silver badge

You’re not a “leech” if you are using a supported API in a supported manner as part of a supported third-party developer ecosystem.

1. kat_bg

Till yesterday, that API was supported.

3. jgard

I'd suggest that you shove it in the same hole you speak from, i.e. Your ar*e. Good luck with it mate.

4. jgard

By far the best place to shove that violin is exactly the same hole from which you appear to speak, i.e. the one that forms an exit for yout intestinal tract.

7. veti Silver badge

API?

What exactly is the point of maintaining and documenting an API if you're forbidding anyone from using it?

1. Jon 37

Re: API?

You can create tools to do things that the standard Twitter web site cannot.

The ban is on creating tools that do the same things as the Twitter website.

So you can't use the Twitter APIs to do anything "twittery". What the fuck else are you about to use them for? Testing the ping between your laptop and the Twitter servers?

1. localzuk Silver badge

I suppose its more for integration into other things now - eg a client to display the latest couple of tweets on digital signage would be OK I'd guess. Or a client that allows you to post automated tweets from something (eg. a bot like the one used by Gauge Map).

Would it, though? Isn't displaying a tweet in any manner replicating (a portion of) what the "official" app does? Ditto with "tweeting"?

It's like having an API which hands over a phone number, but then saying "you're not allowed to actually call this number," despite that being the primary use case for a telephone number.

1. localzuk Silver badge

No? Does Twitter provide a way to display a tweet on digital signage? Not that I know of.

Indeed, the Xibo Twitter modules still work fine - but we'll see if they break it in the future (though, they connect via your own individual developer account, not a single central API account).

2. logicalextreme

Jobs.

developers developers developers

oh wait…

8. mark l 2 Silver badge

I now think 'pedo guy' knows he cannot make Twitter profitable so he is doing all he can to run it into the ground and therefore declare bankruptcy, so he can blame it all on the liberal media or anyone else and get out of having to own up to his own mistake of buying it for an overly inflated price without doing any due diligence first.

1. Zola

Or alternatively, he's about to flood the Twitter experience with adverts in an effort to balance the books, and he needed to ban the Twitter-like alternatives in order to prevent users abandoning the soon-to-be advert-laden official Twitter app overnight.

And, with no engineers left at the company to support the API, it's a potential win/win for Elmo.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Flooding it with ads will only drive users to alternatives. Even journalists are catching on that there are alternatives and you're increasingly seeing reports referencing Telegram, et al.

2. tiggity Silver badge

@Zola

Indeed, that was my thinking.

Kill alternatives and then fill the official app with ads that users cannot avoid .. Except they can avoid them by leaving Twitter.

Given there's a market for 3rd party products that give better functionality than the twitter client, I'm guessing a lot of people who use better alternatives might just quit Twitter rather than use official client? Could be interesting if some of those are popular accounts on Twitter as would make Twitter even less attractive to people (or are stories of a mass exodus to Mastodon unfounded?).

9. chivo243 Silver badge
    Go

Klaxons blaring!

Elon fiddles, and Twitter is going down like the Hindenburg. And what will happen to twitter's weakened infrastructure should someone start tweeting again, now that their ban is lifted?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Klaxons blaring!

What's this Twitter thing you're talking of? The name rings a bell somehere but I can't remember exactly what. Did it make vacuum cleaners, or deliver pizzas?

10. Bruce Hoult

Is Twitter's own app still crap? The web site is for suer utterly unusable for me. I've been using Tweetbot forever -- I don't even know how long. Ten, twelve years? For me, Tweetbot IS Twitter.

My needs are very simple. I want to read every tweet made by anyone I follow (or at least original tweets and replies to people I also follow), in chronological order. I want the app to remember what I have read and what I haven't read. I don't want to see tweets by people I don't follow, or tweets "I might be interested in", or sorted in some way other than chronological.

I don't need something to "manage" my experience on the assumption I can't read all the tweets from people I follow. I can. I trim my following list as needed to ensure I can.

1. Stratman

"Tweak New Twitter" does exactly what you have described, and is how use it.

2. localzuk Silver badge

The assumption is more "showing you this other stuff will generate us revenue" than anything else.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"We are sorry to say that the app’s sudden and undignified demise is due to an unannounced and undocumented policy change by an increasingly capricious Twitter – a Twitter that we no longer recognize as trustworthy nor want to work with any longer," the code maker said.

That's the nicest go f yourself I have ever seen! That man deserves a raise.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

1,400 non-working employees

what is the meaning of the 'non-working employees'?

Full-Time Employees.

Part-Time Employees.

Seasonal Employees.

Temporary Employees.

or just "twitter non-twitter no-working but otherwise working for their love of twitter employees"?

1. Ace2 Silver badge

Re: 1,400 non-working employees

I took it to mean employees still getting severance. No idea if that’s correct though.

1. Ian Mason

I checked the source. It means exactly what you think: people who are still technically employed but are on terminal leave.

I can't help but think that the quality of writing at El Reg is going downhill if they can't quote a secondary source without paraphrasing it in a way that makes it anything but clear what was meant.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"cost centre" staff in bean-counter terms, ie admin types who don't actually produce income but are still vital to the operation of the company and so seen as unwelcome "costs" :-)

3. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge
      Devil

Managers

13. DS999 Silver badge

Why should they feel obligated to refund anyone?

If you make a business out of providing added functionality to a platform that kicks you off, it isn't up to you to refund anyone. You should apologize that you will no longer be able to provide the service and direct the ire of your customers to the correct place.

They have made the investment in providing the service, but will now have to undergo significant expense firing most/all of their employees (depending on if they have other products) to provide contractual severance plus whatever above and beyond they may want to do for some employees who have been with them for many years.

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Re: Why should they feel obligated to refund anyone?

Legally it is their responsibility to refund you.

You bought a product off them, that product no longer works, you can claim a refund.

It is then up to them to claim the losses of Twitter, and good luck with that.

1. MikeTheHill

> You bought a product off them, that product no longer works, you can claim a refund

You could argue the product still works, just that you no longer have access to the inputs it needs to run.

If you buy an electric blanket and your electricity gets cut off, do you have a right to a refund on the blanket?

If you buy an Internet connected device and you lose access to the Internet, do you have a right to a refund on the device?

If you buy a twitter app and you lose access to Twitter APIs, do you have a right to a refund on the app?

Electricity, Internet and Twitter APIs are all services delivered by 3rd parties independent of the vendor who sold you product. So where do you draw the line?

1. Jon 37

You don't get a refund on the first two as you can get electricity or Internet from another supplier.

You get a refund on the Twitter app as it only supports accessing Twitter, and you bought it specifically to work with Twitter, and there is no alternative that you can use with that app.

Bollocks, it will work with any API that has the same signature. Not much use if that API doesn't give access to the same content, though, is it?

Much like a monopoly electricity supplier cutting you off and then retroactively changing their terms to allow themselves to do it.

2. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

"You can get electricity or Internet from another supplier."

Well, no. The cables for both of these are often owned by a monopoly where people live. If the actual provider of the bit of wire decides they aren't going to fix the substation / exchange, how does changing the firm that bills you fix things? 3rd party apps are the 'another supplier' in your analogy, and Twitter is the monopoly that has cut them off.

2. MikeTheHill

Probably depends on the terms of the contract. Was the app fee sold as a maintenance fee, a one-off purchase fee, a promise to access free upgrades fee, access to a better twitter experience fee or something else?

Some of the above terms suggest a refund while others do not. Largely it depends on whether they sold a finished product or future delivery of a product/service. It also might depend on the accounting treatment that the app vendors took with their sales.

Compare the difference between selling a book and selling a magazine subscription. When selling a book, the revenue is realised immediately and the vendor moves on. When selling a magazine subscription the subscription fee is actually a liability in that the vendor has to deliver future product.

Importantly, a vendor should *not* spend a liability before delivering the promised product/service otherwise they risk creating an unfunded liability which can send a company broke.

Bizarrely, Icon Factory, seem to have one foot in each camp. By pleading with customer's not to seek a refund it is admitting that they treat the sale as, at least in part, a delivery of a future service/product. But in their next breath they suggest refunds will send them broke which implies that from an accounting perspective they did not treat their sales as a liability.

In short, Icon Factory appear to have created an unfunded liability that has now come back to bite them.

If this surprises them they must not have received any financial advice of any kind over the life of the company. If this doesn't surprise them then they always knew they were running a risky "hand to mouth" business.

1. nintendoeats

Another possibility is that they are in fact not liable to refund people (and maybe even know that fact), but are now in a PR conundrum. If lots of people ask for refunds, they either deny the claim or take the hit to save face. Given that they now need to switch business model, it's not a good time to be pissing people off. Thus, they may be trying to split the difference by minimizing the number of refund requests that are submitted in the first place (thus allowing them to get the PR win of fulfilling those requests).

1. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

Icon Factory makes other apps, they really need to not be slagged off by their previous Twitter customers.

3. keithzg

I was assuming not that they felt obligated, but rather that (from what I recall; I'm not an Apple user myself) the iOS app store allows for customers taking such actions and that that's entirely out of the hands of the developers. In which case they're kinda getting screwed by two big corporations rather than just one.

1. DS999 Silver badge

Even if Apple would allow refunds in such a circumstance, they can only take new money being paid to this company. They can't dip into their bank account. So if their app no longer works they can pull it from the store and Apple would have nothing to claw back.

4. Roland6 Silver badge

I think the ad free version of Twitterific requires an annual subscription, so there will be users who have not received their full year of service.

14. Fred Goldstein

I saw a recent article about Twitter's layoffs. And associated lawsuits. It interviewed someone who led the group of about 200 engineers that ran the API program. The entire department had been laid off, including that manager, who was at Twitter because they had bought his company. So the new policy seems to go along with a total lack of anyone to support APIs any more.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

King Midas in reverse

Elmo fails again.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: King Midas in reverse

Gerald Ratner

16. jgard

Tosser

I still use Twitter to collate tech stuff and other news. However, I can no longer face supporting this incurable twat in any way. I'll certainly never buy a Tesla while he's involved with the company. And now his general behaviour has become so juvenile, thoughtless and tzar-like, that I simply don't want to use his services at all. I've not used twitter in 2 weeks, and I've now decided to never go back. I do not want to help this tosser in any way. It won't hurt him but it helps me feel better.

I don't know what's going on in his self-obsessed brain, but I can say with great certainty that Elton Musk is an absolute chopper.

17. trevorde Silver badge

Makes total sense

API team was fired a while ago. Just surprised third party apps continued to work for so long.

18. glennsills

Does anyone else get the impression that Musk does not understand how social networks work?

19. Tron Silver badge

Sensible response.

Build a distributed, encrypted social media platform by forking an e-mail client and moving data, encrypted, using the e-mail protocol. Standardise data for each type of interaction. Most are viable. Folk can then release their own compatible modules to handle each type of interaction or just use the default ones. You can monetise it with optional advertising, allowing individuals to choose their own adverts/discount offers. Users can also choose what content they wish to block. With no central server, there would be no centralised censorship or data scraping. There would be no centralised bandwidth or oversight costs either.

Musk's response isn't a surprise. Apple didn't respond well to clones, then it licensed them, then it didn't.

If you really want, you should be able to offer a reconfigured Twitter front end easily using a browser plug-in, pulling the data from Twitter's plain vanilla feed and pushing it to your own version. But Musk has a lot of lawyers, so the new distributed client would be wiser. Eventually, GAFA will tick off enough people for developers to replace all of their software with distributed alternatives, becoming GAFA 2.

20. Elongated Muskrat Silver badge

Changing of license conditions with no notice

Don't those licensing terms constitute a contract with existing users? In other words, by doing this, has His Muskiness left himself open to legal action from everyone who has now lost revenue due to this change in terms?

IANAL of course, but I do know that the US is a notoriously litigious country.

21. Big_Boomer Silver badge

The Roof, The Roof, The Roof is on Fire!

("Sway" by Coal Chamber)

Now, where did I put the marshmallows? <LOL>

22. An_Old_Dog Silver badge

Live by the API, Die by the API

If you tie your company's future to an API controlled by the whims of another company, you are gambling. Companies are not "rational"; they are staffed at all levels by capricious humans, each with their own various personal, office-political, and government-political agendas.

23. MrDamage Silver badge

But will nobody think

Of the buggy whip makers?

24. Bode35

I am looking for the best free Twitter app for Windows. Could anyone please suggest?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like