back to article Miscreants sure do love ransacking cloud networks, more so than before

As enterprises around the world continue to move to the cloud, cybercriminals are following right behind them. There was a 48 percent year-over-year jump in 2022 in cyberattacks on cloud-based networks, and it comes at a time when 98 percent of global organizations use cloud services, or at least that's what Check Point …

1. Potemkine! Silver badge

"You think we would have taken the lessons learned and then moved them to the cloud". Yes, of course! Beancounters are always happy to throw money in cybersecurity, aren't they? It isn't as they asked to move everything in the cloud because they thought it would be less expensive. I also love the sentence that one should 'avoid misconfigurations', because IT has always the competent resources in sufficient number and all the time required to do things right. I would have another advice: bad people shouldn't do bad things, because it's bad you know.

1. DJO Silver badge

I have that exact same sentence in my clipboard but you beat me to it. I was just astonished by the naivety - how can someone so insulated from the realities of life survive in what passes for "the real world"?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

how can someone so insulated from the realities of life survive in what passes for "the real world"?

Apparently, that is what qualifies people now as management..

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Facepalm

Well duh

"As enterprises around the world continue to move to the cloud, cybercriminals are following right behind them"

Pro tip : they want to get to the data. You put the data into The CloudTM, they attack The CloudTM.

Not rocket science and eminently foreseeable.

1. Black Label1
      Black Helicopters

Re: Well duh

Meanwhile, a lot of people waiting for the Pentagon to move their data to the cloud.

3. Plest Silver badge
    Facepalm

Cloud simply means the bad guys don't even have to get out of bed these days to nick your data

Makes no difference where you put your data, if you're clueless about security you could put it on a USB drive, bury it in concrete and drop it in the ocean, you'd still get pwned if that data is valuable enough to warrant the effort!

1. Lil Endian Silver badge

Re: Cloud simply means the bad guys don't even have to get out of bed these days to nick your data

...clueless about security... -- Yep. Or worse, wilfully ignorant. I say worse, but same effect.

When I discuss ICT security with non-techies, I often use an analogy of a person's home, and the locks on the doors (I'm sure I'm not alone here). You want authorised people to gain access while preventing access to the undesired. Adding a lock to a door but not using it does SFA. You can put the house on the Moon, but those that can escape Earth's gravity can still kick a door in. (That's a new bit, for air-gapping! Vacuum-gapping?)

The point is that systems designed to allow access do that: they allow access. Application of restrictions are initially theoretical, with the defenders often playing catch-up after the rapscallions breech. So it follows that sticking valuable data on a global network must be deemed highly risky. And mission critical stuff should just be a "no" no-brainer. The old "horses for courses".

Even for those that suggest encryption is strong enough to mitigate the threat, which on-paper-in-a-perfect-world I agree with, it still relies on being implemented and utilised correctly, and with no zero days in just the wrong place. Do you wanna bet your love spuds on that?

4. Kev99 Silver badge

Yep. Let's put our mission critical, confidential, proprietary data out on the bunch of holes held together with vapor / string. What could possibly go wrong? Besides, it's free.

1. Cliffwilliams44 Silver badge

More like "Let's put our mission critical, confidential, proprietary data out on a cloud service that can be securely and effectivelt pretected and NOT DO THAT!"

99.99999% of all cloud server data lose is directly attributable to the person/company that owns the data not using the phacilities available to secure that data.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like