back to article University of Texas latest US school to ban TikTok

Faculty and students at the University of Texas at Austin (UT) this week became the latest members of a public US university to lose access to Chinese video app TikTok via campus networks. Jeff Neyland, advisor to the president for technology strategy, notified students of the change via email on Tuesday. "The university is …

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Texas has a university ?

All studies either agree with the bible and so are unnecessary or disagree with the bible and so are heretical

Or am I being unfair? Is that Florida ?

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Texas has a university ?

It sounds like you have never been to Texas or worked with anyone in a Texas University. Sure a lot of southern states in the US have crazy views of things but the academic world is smart ... this article gives you some clues as to how smart the universities are and how well they are virtually all run.

Yes I worked in Texas, we were trying to open an office there. But we made metrology equipment with LASERS and the office was in a business park near the airport - so we were blocked for several years because LASER + airport + foreigners = terrorist

And although this was post 9/11 it was pre MAGA so state politics hadn't gone full Taliban

2. theAltoid

You are not being unfair, but you ignorance is showing.

In the US, government funded public educational institutions (schools) are not allowed to endorse a religion. There is a constitutional requirement for a separation of church and state. No Christian only prayer at half time. It gets a little fuzzy around the edges, and the current GOP would like to install a christian theocracy, but in general this is the standard in the US.

If you are interested, the actual wording of the 1st amendment which provides this protection to US citizens is:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

though the "no law respecting respecting an establishment of religion" is not tightly adhered to.

> There is a constitutional requirement for a separation of church and state

Thank you, I'm only slightly familiar with the work of Hayek so I wasn't clear how making laws forcing women to cover their arms is fundamental to capitalism.

2. abetancort

Keep worrying about the China while welcoming with open arms the “legal” eavesdropping of everything you do online by NSA and a trove of US federal, state and local agencies. The former can’t lay a finger on you outside mainland China but the latter agencies can use anything they eavesdrop to really f*ck up your life while in the US or in any other friendly country (most of the world). So don’t worry, be happy with it.

1. theAltoid

No, they can't

I know the republican in congress make America look like a shit show, but the US gov't (Fed/state/local) can't simple eavesdrop on you and then use the data to "fuck up your life" thanks to the 4th amendment of the US Constitution. Any data collect outside of the legal system is inadmissible in court, meaning that before any government agency collect evidence of a crime (in the US) they would first need to get a warrant from a judge and show probable cause. See Breaking Bad Season 3: Episode 6, when Hank tries to arrest Jess holed up in his RV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HGqPDgAwJI

Me, I would rather live in the US than dictatorial China any day. And China maintains illegal police stations around the world (3 in the UK) to coerce it citizens:

https://www.newsweek.com/china-overseas-police-service-center-public-security-bureau-safeguard-defenders-transnational-crime-1764531

1. sabroni Silver badge
        Facepalm

Re: No, they can't

Meanwhile, those of us who watch the news and not Breaking Bad, are aware that your government often "side steps" the rules when they feel like it.

3. Korev Silver badge
    Thumb Down

"School"

A school is where children are educated; I've no idea why Americans insist on called universities this...

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
      Happy

Re: "School"

It's the same language and a different culture, England has "bogs" and "loos" ... America has "restrooms" - ask an American if they have a fag and a rubber that you can use and you'll either get a kiss or a punch.

2. Daniel M

Typically, American universities are made up of colleges. In turn, colleges are made up of schools. Then divisions, then departments (or, in the past, faculties).

Anything else is colloquial.

3. doublelayer Silver badge

Because it's where people who used to be and sometimes still act like children are educated? The only leap you have to make is from "place of education for this specific group" to "place of education", which isn't very far. They do other things there, which is why they get to be called universities, but a rather important part of their existence is education.

4. Woza

While I normally enjoy a bandwagon about US English, saying "school is for children" isn't valid.

Evidence from the UK:

-London School of Economics

-London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine

- Oxford School of Global and Area Studies

etc

4. elsergiovolador Silver badge

GDPR

That is another example how impotent GDPR is.

There is no valid reason for TikTok to collect such data and on a such scale. Yet there is not a squeak from EU bureaucrats.

Then you have app stores approving apps collecting such excessive data - perhaps because owners of such platforms are also complicit in the harvests.

Oh well.

Imagine if Joe Public has created such an app. They'll end up living under a bridge somewhere in Clapham after paying all the fines.

1. Cynical Pie

Re: GDPR

The flaw in your argument there is that EU DP Authorities are starting to issue fines against TikTok including the ICO intention to issue a penalty notice to the the tune of £27m

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

That is cost of doing business, not a penalty.

2. Bbuckley

27 million? Pennies. The flaw in YOUR argument is the same EU forced our Irish DP agency to increase fines on the 'capitalist pig/dog' US companies to hundreds of millions for the exact same type of GDPR foo-pah.

2. sabroni Silver badge

Re: There is no valid reason for TikTok to collect such data and on a such scale

There is no valid reason for Facebook to collect such data and on a such scale

There is no valid reason for Twitter to collect such data and on a such scale

There is no valid reason for Amazon to collect such data and on a such scale

There is no valid reason for anyone to collect such data and on a such scale

Your bigotry is showing.

1. Bbuckley

Re: There is no valid reason for TikTok to collect such data and on a such scale

And. There is no valid reason for GOVERNMENT to collect such data and on a such scale

5. Gene Cash Silver badge

"two professionals"?

Do you mean two professors?

I'm not seeing a corrections link...

6. DS999 Silver badge

Now that unlimited or nearly unlimited data on cellular is more common

Students can simply log off the school wifi and use cellular data.

I recently switched from AT&T prepaid to Verizon's prepaid service (Visible) which includes unlimited data. It is at a lower priority than postpaid Verizon customers, but unless I'm at a big sporting event or concert it is unlikely to matter. Considering they had a deal where I'm paying $15/month for the next year (when it reverts to the normal $30/month price) it is hard to complain about something that will only affect me a few dozen hours a year.

They have a higher priced plan ($15/month extra) that has the higher data priority again with unlimited data. I may check to see if I can switch to that and back to the cheaper one without losing the discount. If that's true and the switching is prorated...

1. Grogan Silver badge

Re: Now that unlimited or nearly unlimited data on cellular is more common

I outfitted my niece with obfuscating VPN technology before she went off to University. Not only did it allow her to do whatever she wanted, it actually helped her access a university portal when DNS was messed up for local network users (but accessible from outside). I had to laugh about that, it allowed her to get shit done when others couldn't access the resources. It can help with routing issues too, when you have numerous points of presence to choose from.

1. DS999 Silver badge

Re: Now that unlimited or nearly unlimited data on cellular is more common

Yeah I forgot Apple has a built in VPN and I imagine knowledge of how to enable it among Texas students will be shooting up in the near future.

7. IGotOut Silver badge

Now...

...if you could just ban what really is ruining kids education.

Guns.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I’m not surprised there are universities in Texas

I’m just surprised that Texan politicians know what they are.

9. Bbuckley

Ban ChatGPT

10. Cliffwilliams44 Silver badge

The students will be in Hell!

And their suffering will be legendary! Even in Hell!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like