back to article Biden seeks out Dutch support for blockade on Chinese chip industry

US President Joe Biden brought his concerns over the threat of China's semiconductor industry to Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte during a White House meeting Tuesday. Semiconductor supply chains, export rules for chipmaking equipment, and Dutch plans to provide Ukraine with another Patriot missile defense system were among the …

1. Duncan Macdonald

Bullies

The US wants to cripple every possible competitor so they can be the rulers of the world.

The best thing for the Dutch to do would be to remove their EUV export ban - tell the US that they are not the rulers of the world.

1. Stephen McLaughlin

Re: Bullies

Completely agree. As China continues to broaden their offerings beyond the family consumer, the more resistance they'll face from the US that considers them a threat concerning information technologies.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

We in the west wouldn't be putting up with it if those we designate as enemy states were trying this shit on with others. Thankfully we have hypocrisy which makes it okay when we do it.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

But at least the USA has been staunchly supporting its European allies and not imposing arbitrary trade embargoes to pander to political sentiments

3. Drew Scriver

That sounds a bit like saying that the US wants to ban Russian oil so it can sell its own oil at higher prices.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hope the Dutch don't go along with this

The political consequences of letting the US dictate terms to falsify their own competitiveness reach much further than just this instance - it sets a precedent that the US can decide which markets are open and which not. In the context of the US' dwindling global control on account of being mainly controlled by buffoons, that is not a good thing to encourage.

The Dutch have been fairly neutral so far. I hope they keep it that way, otherwise they'll be sucked into a game with no winners.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: I hope the Dutch don't go along with this

The Dutch have been fairly neutral so far. I hope they keep it that way, otherwise they'll be sucked into a game with no winners. ..... Anonymous Coward

The wiser and more forthright of commentators, AC, would warn any in a situation similar to that presently entertaining and embarrassing the Dutch against being sucked into a game fielding serial US losers.

The arrogance displayed in thinking to curtail foreign profit and market share progress with a self-harming embargo on free trade and technology provision/transfer/exchange is worthy of legend and derision and respectful rejection. To think to deny and delay what will eventually be certainly inevitable with an interruption of rapid progress is not really something great and good to be considered and celebrated as fit and proper and otherworldly wise.

3. Yes Me Silver badge
    Thumb Down

One step forward and N back

Another step forward in America's dastardly plan to help China become a hi-tech giant by obliging it to develop its own technology instead of buying from the West. Utterly stupid and self-defeating.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like