back to article Twitter starts auction to flip the bird, furniture, pizza ovens, gadgets galore

Twitter has arranged an auction rid itself of 631 "surplus corporate assets". An outfit called Heritage Global Partners got the job of selling off kit including six espresso machines, two lesser coffee-makers, two refrigerated tables dedicated to the making of pizza, and two ovens also intended only for Napoli's finest …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"Musk has [..] articulated a plan"

Well he can still articulate.

Delivering will be exponentially more difficult given that he has fired or driven away most of the developers.

I wonder how his "search" for a new CEO is going ? I especially wonder what difference it would make to Twitter's image, given that everyone knows that said CEO will not be able to manage any differently than what His Muskiness accepts, so booting out the racists again is clearly off the table.

2. sabroni Silver badge

How shit is your grasp of value....

...if you think selling a bit of office tat is going to help service a billion dollar loan?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How shit is your grasp of value....

every little helps :) Might pay of an hours worth of interest.

But hey its coming from a man that thinks his robot, if its ever actually completed and works, which will cost around that of a car, will be bought as a birthday gift.

1. hittitezombie

Sales maintenance and governance will cost more than its worth. They could have just junked the lot.

2. Jellied Eel Silver badge

...if you think selling a bit of office tat is going to help service a billion dollar loan?

Call it virtue signalling, or just sound business. It helps show why Twatter bled cash with it's overpriced furniture, industrial kitchen(s), bar(s) etc. SF isn't exactly short of food service businesses for hungry staff. Twitter now has fewer staff, less extravagence, and doesn't need to pay SF luxury office rents to store junk. So it makes sense to get shot of it, even if that's only for pennies on the dollar.

On the plus side, Twatter employees who've found themselves to be unnecessary overhead and surplus to requirements could bid on some of the lots and open their own restaurant. But then they'd have to work for a living, and SF isn't exactly short of places to eat out or have food deliveries.

1. squigbobble

> SF isn't exactly short of food service businesses for hungry staff.

Silicon Valley companies don't provide cafeterias for the convenience of the employees, it's to maximise the time that they spend in the office. I expect there'll be enough coffee machines and pizza ovens left for the remaining staff and the provision has been reduced to match the new headcount.

Like somebody else mentioned, it's an expensive rented office, occupying more space than they need to is costing Twitter money.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Like somebody else mentioned, it's an expensive rented office

Assuming that he actually bothers to pay the rent. After all, he probably sacked the person usually responsible for doing it...

3. brotherelf

Yeah, not sure why Simon thought so.

4. DS999 Silver badge

Why not sell it if they no longer need it? Should they pay to store it in case they decide they need it again someday?

With fewer employees, and Musk cutting all the perks because he wants people to keep their noses in their monitors working rather than taking breaks to eat pizza or sit in comfy chairs, this stuff is useless to Twitter. Even though it will be a rounding error compared to all the money they are losing now.

5. Marty McFly Silver badge
      Holmes

Floor space. This equipment is located in the high rent office in SanFran. And it isn't small stuff either.

Tossing it away? That takes effort and cost money. Getting someone to buy it, at any price, and it is the buyer's expense to haul away.

1. My-Handle

"Tossing it away? That takes effort and cost money"

True. An ex-employer once renovated an old warehouse area into new office space. They ended up with about ten large flourescent tube fittings that had been stripped out of the warehouse that they'd have to pay someone to take away. Word went around on the grape-vine and I ended up being offered them by one of the directors (I have a barn / workshop that is woefully lit). He was happy that a bunch of junk he had no use for just went away, and I was happy that I got some lights that actually worked.

6. kurkosdr

The billion-dollar loan probably stretches far into the future, and first payment may not be in months of even years from now. Also, if the lender agrees, debt can be rolled-over.

But things like rent and bills, these are more pressing concerns, and this sale can help pay off at least a part of those.

3. nautica Silver badge
    Boffin

Is it too much trouble for you to give us a real news article?

1. Ordinary Donkey

It's all change at El Reg. Elon is the new Paris in case you missed it.

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Elon is the new Paris in case you missed it.

Close to Seine?

1. hittitezombie

Smells of shit and never stops flowing with more.

2. Plest Silver badge

Lighten up you misery!

This is a tough job, tough business and sometimes a bit of mindless tech celebrity rubbish just helps bring a smile, especially if that tech-celeb is Elon "You're a peado!" Musk!

3. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
      WTF?

Here is an idea... sounds farfetched but it may just work: see the "OFFBEAT" text that accompanies this article?

If you ignore articles with that tag, you won't be forced to read light or fluffy entries!

Amazing lifehack, innit?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No, no, that would be sensible. I deem it the clearest hopeful sign that El Reg hasn't quite shed it's British heritage yet: it still attracts plenty who just like to come and have a jolly old moan.

:)

4. ssharwood

Nope: We were first to cover this - https://www.theregister.com/2023/01/13/nasa_software_oracle_overpayment/ - and this - https://www.theregister.com/2023/01/13/microsoft_gdap_double_byte_delays/ - and this - https://www.theregister.com/2023/01/11/teams_premium_more_expensive/ ... and those are just the stories I know we were first with last week.

I could go on. But this Twitter story was written over the MLK day long weekend, and long weekends are always terrible times for news.

And FWIW I think this is real news: Twitter made losses for years and the fact it bought $4000 USB-charging bicycles might tell us why ...

4. chivo243 Silver badge
    Alert

All hands!

We're taking on water! WE gotta lighten the load! Throw everything overboard! We're going down! gurgle...

5. Roger Kynaston
    Thumb Up

the neon light might be a good investment

If twitler really does bankrupt it, memorabilia from an early 21st century antisocial might become valuable in the future.

1. hittitezombie

Re: the neon light might be a good investment

Not sure, what's the market for MySpace tat these days?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And once Musk triples it's value the next executive team will want them back for "branding"

Plus ça change etc

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Nah. Neon signs frighten the unicorns Musk will have filled the place with.

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

And once Musk triples it's value

Cn I have some of what you are smoking/snorting/ingesting? It's obviously radically affected your grip on reality and I could use some of that right now..

6. Dabooka

Loving that print!

And as you say, Mad Men to the core

1. Mike 16

Re: Loving that print!

Trying hard to imagine Sterling Cooper ran their IT on a 360/20

7. ElRegioLPL

"For items HGP cannot hand carry to the loading area, customers will need to hire Juniors Source Corporation. Juniors is the only company allowed inside the Twitter facility."

What do we bet they've got a very special deal with Mr Musk

8. F. Frederick Skitty Silver badge

Reminds me of the auction after Enron went bust. It included a large scale model railway that had run around the perimeter of the London boardroom. A friend who worked there said that disgruntled staff were taking a lot of the more portable gear with them on the day Enron imploded, much of it finding its way to a certain auction website...

9. karlkarl Silver badge

Its actually a little tragic to see things like espresso machines and ovens being sold off.

Those were obviously originally intended for the employees who probably put a lot of effort and life into their work and were instantly dismissed. It really does show how volatile and superficial many companies really are; no matter how large.

10. Howard Sway Silver badge

There's also a Kegerator Beer Dispenser

The man has finally stooped to the ultimate evil tech villain act : selling off the office beer pump.

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
      Pint

Re: There's also a Kegerator Beer Dispenser

What's the current bidding on that at the moment?

Asking for a frie.....OK... Me!

11. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
    Boffin

I am not fluent in Medieval measuring units...

but that does not look like 10 feet to me

1. Doctor Tarr
      Joke

Re: I am not fluent in Medieval measuring units...

"One last time. These are small but the ones out there are far away."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh5kZ4uIUC0

12. jonfr

Signs of bankruptcy arriving

Elon Musk is going to bankrupt a lot of companies that he owns or controls. He's starting with Twitter. Then I expect that around 2035's Elon Musk is going to be living under a bridge in Los Angeles, broke, bankrupt and forgotten.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Signs of bankruptcy arriving

.. being brought food by the three fans that still think he's a genius and who come and listen to his stories.

And they'll get there by using the last Teslas that have as yet not gone up in flames or committed hari kiri against an emergency vehicle..

2. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Reminds me of what happened to Homer Simpson's half-brother Herb - I guess life imitates the Simpsons (again), even down to the failed car company.

3. kurkosdr

Because Elon Musk doesn't have any liquid assets around and can't stash some cash into offshore accounts in case of imminent bankruptcy, right?

BTW this is the part of the Christopher Nolan Batman movies that threw me off the most: Are you telling me that a multi-millionaire was left without any money in hand whatsoever and no sellable assets? Really?

13. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Fool!

Musky could auction these items for a lot more money after Twitter is dead.

1. Mike 16

Re: a lot more money after Twitter is dead.

Ah, yes. The "Memorial Album" plan from "Phantom of the Paradise"

14. trevorde Silver badge

Star auction item

Has to be the kitchen sink

15. llaryllama

I have mixed feelings about Elon in general and there is probably a more ethical way to go about his firings but I've been wondering for some time how and why Twitter ended up with something like 7,000 employees and all these swanky offices in the first place.

Let's not forget it's a site that lets you post 140 character text only messages. OK, so they have close to half a billion users but still it feels like the ex management team have been riding the VC money train for a little too long.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

it feels like the ex management team have been riding the VC money train for a little too long

Exactly, and they couldn't believe their luck when motormouth said something before his lawyers and whatever passes as his brain caught up. Honestly, the management team must have thought their birthdays and Christmas arrived all at once when Musk's ego didn't allow him to retreat and continued to initiate a buy without as much as a shred of due diligence, which, of course, confirmed to the fans the true genius of the man*.

He should not have called himself Chief Twit. "Bird Brain" would have been more accurate.

* Watch the Glass Onion Knives Out mystery movie for a more realistic portrayal, it's very obvious. They even added a car, just to help along the somewhat slower amongst us.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shady operator

Huckster, braggart, BS artist and media whore.

17. EricB123 Bronze badge

Gimme that!

I'll take the system 360 phioto from your estate when you depart, if you don't mind

18. Clunking Fist

Charity?

Elon missed a trick. This will raise so little in the scheme of things, it would have been better to say "all proceeds to charity".

19. jotheberlock

What on earth is a 'buyers' premium'? They're charging you for the privilege of them charging you?

1. llaryllama

Auctions generally charge the buyer a fee of at least 10% on the hammer price, and often take a commission from the seller also. Seller commissions are usually lower or free to encourage more items on auction, and it's easy for buyers to get excited in the rush of bidding and forget about the extra 10% premium they will need to pay when the dust clears.

20. Jamesit

A Twitter bird statue went for $77,000

https://bid.hgpauction.com/auctions/8421/herita10194/lot-details/d329a468-4356-4b5b-9025-af6401169064

The price has not been published, I was watching the item.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like