back to article Microsoft Defender ASR rules strip icons, app shortcuts from Taskbar, Start Menu

Techies are reporting that Microsoft Defender for Endpoint attack surface reduction (ASR) rules have gone haywire and are removing icons and applications shortcuts from the Taskbar and Start Menu. The problems were first noted early today, Friday 13th, by multiple IT folk and many seem to be scratching their head as to the …

1. MisterHappy

Exclusions being added to ASR and then shortcuts being pushed back out... Appears to work in testing on a few PCs

1. Goldjeeva

Have the same issue

How are you pushing the shortcuts back out if you dont mind me asking?

regards

Ranj

1. MisterHappy

Re: Have the same issue

We have grabbed the shortcuts from a reference PC & are pushing them site-wide with SCCM. Some odd ones will need to be manually re-created as people call in.

The only good thing is that ASR works when you access the icon, so if it wasn't clicked, it's still there.

2. Naselus

Re: Have the same issue

For anything that's come in via MSIExec, scrape msi install guids and then foreach loop the list through msiexec /fs.

My (extremely quick and dirty) PS code is:

$list = get-wmiobject win32_product | select identifyingnumber

foreach ($thing in $list){

msiexec /fs $thing.identifyingnumber /q

start-sleep 10}

2. PranavGupta

i have a solution

after updating i got the same problem but after googling find out this ASR rule is causing problem "Block Win32 API calls from Office macros"

i have app called defender ui1.10, the much needed ui for defender ..

there i disabled the rule and problem solved.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No real surprise here,.

https://forums.theregister.com/forum/all/2022/11/22/JimmyPage_Anyone_else_have_AppLocker_problems_2_weeks_ago_/

Fucked us up right royally for a day. Nary a peep from anyone.

3. Alumoi Silver badge

uninstalling Microsoft Office as well

Finally, an antivirus software is doing its job and people are complaining?

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: uninstalling Microsoft Office as well

Funny, but not really....

1. Alumoi Silver badge

OK, how about: why stop at MS Office? There's also Windows!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

-> 'uninstalling Microsoft Office as well'

-> 'Finally, an antivirus software is doing its job and people are complaining?'

If only it followed this up by installing LibreOffice 7 then logged in, with user's MS account, and cancelled the Office 365 subscription too.

Better still if the next definition of MS Defender, nuked Windows completely, and installed Linux.

4. b0llchit Silver badge
    Coat

Precautions, for your convenience

Of course you must delete icons and shortcuts. These are at the start of most intrusions because people keep clicking on them. When they do, well, shit happens. Better be safe and remove the clickable pictorials and ease of short-pwned-cuts.

1. Jim Mitchell

Re: Precautions, for your convenience

The best way to reduce attack surface is to "fix" the computer so that it can't even be turned on.

1. Total_Blackout

Lock the OS, pull the plug, dispose of the machine, flee civilization, return the monkey. Surest system security there is.

2. Snapper

'The best way to reduce attack surface is to "fix" the Windows computer so that it can't even be turned on'

TFIFY

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

Working as designed. It's certainly reducing the attack surface. Think of all the Office macro virus they're safe from!

Job's a good 'un!

5. adam 40 Silver badge
    Megaphone

My Linux VM

... seems unaffected.

Micro$haft windoze because company policy, but I just start me VM, and beaver away.

1. Naselus

Re: My Linux VM

How can you tell if someone's a Linux user?

Don't worry, they'll tell you. Constantly. In discussions where it has zero relevance.

1. Tabor
        Trollface

“Don't worry, they'll tell you”

So you’re saying that vegans use linux ?

See icon.

1. cream wobbly

Also Tesla owners, shitcoin investors, Christians, and antivaxters. Did I miss any cults?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Flat earthers

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Tesla owners, shitcoin investors, Christians, and antivaxters. Did I miss any cults?

Militant atheists..

2. jseagull

So you're saying Crossfit practicing vegans use Linux?

2. Snapper

Oh noes, the Mac guys are just opening the bags of pop-corn!

Go on, is this the year of Linux on the doorstep then?

Fuck me, when are you guys going to grow a pair and recognise Windows as a self-defeating construct!

Or do you just keep making money at 'supporting' it and sneering at everything else?

1. adam 40 Silver badge
          Pirate

There is no hope - I got 2x thumbs down for even mentioning it.

Relevant! Fuck yeah, because I can still do work. But - you could also run a VM with windoze in it, and that might be unaffected. If you were a masochist.

6. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Big Brother

It is long past time that MS were

sued into oblivion for acts like this.

How is this different from those ransomware infections that stop you from doing business? How many man/woman/person hours has it taken across the globe to remove their F*k ups eh?

rule 1: Add rule to block all MS owned IP addresses to firewall.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It is long past time that MS were

It's different from Ransomware attacks, since most of them offer some hope of a fix if you pony up the readies to them, with MS you just have to wait and see what they'll do next.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: It is long past time that MS were

.. and with Microsoft you pay BEFORE you get the problem..

7. AeroIt

Another day wasted - with a price increase of 9% thrown in for good measure.

Thanks, appreciated.

8. bss

Microsoft Strike again - ASR Rule

Had 2 hours this morning with Microsoft on this informing them they had a problem and they confirmed the problem at 2:40pm. It seems that early this morning, a security policy was updated with additional ability to change the file path for Microsoft products paths for greater security. You can spot this with regression score change in this area. Resulted in the same conditions as previously approx 3 months ago where you can log into web based services, but click to run are not available. I have informed our clients to continue to run web based applications rather than changing any ASR rule to monitor, which may cause more problems than it fixes. Changing the ASR to monitor on a Friday, leaving users and systems open over the weekend where you rely on Microsoft as a single vendor is a bad decision.

1. rizak

Re: Microsoft Strike again - ASR Rule

Had 2 hours trying figure out what has gone wrong, shortcuts disapered, start breaking security tool as vulnurability items

turns out to be ASR at the end, running not given the ability to even stop the services. unless rebooted with the ASR off.

ended up removing and reinstalling the Office suite again.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Microsoft Strike again - ASR Rule

This kind of attitude is the problem, not the cure. Security people reducing attack surface to the point that nobody can do any work is a real problem these days. Hopefully they'll be the first to go once the redundancies start.

Turning this off doesn't pose a risk at all. It's not catching issues, it's catching potential routes for someone to create an issue (that so far were never actually taken advantage of). If you go home, productivity at your business will go up.

9. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
    Coat

To be fair, if they're removing things that want you to pay a fee to access your own data, Microsoft Office fits the fill perfectly.

I'll get me coat.

10. petef

Removing all shortcuts and apps will leave your PC more secure, albeit at the expense of usefulness. It leaves the elephant in the room of the Windows OS.

11. An_Old_Dog Silver badge
    Joke

Code Reuse

Perhaps they borrowed code from "Clippy", or from that old Windows feature which threatened to "clean up" your Task Bar of shortcuts to apps which you hadn't used in a while.

12. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

"Techies are reporting that Microsoft Defender for Endpoint attack surface reduction (ASR) rules have gone haywire and are removing icons and applications shortcuts from the Taskbar and Start Menu."

Perhaps it could remove Windows altogether? That would be a solution.

13. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Joke

Seems an almost BOFH-like trick

It does fit his dictum that fewer users running things on his network results in fewer problems. Although Simon would prefer to remove users (physically) from the network, to keep systems running smoothly, rather than removing office apps.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PITA

This is a right PITA as it has removed 3rd party shortcuts used to start data acquisition software on our machines. My users aren't software bods and don't appreciate having their work disrupted. I'm no pro sysadmin and don't appreciate having to rectify Microsoft's mistakes for them. (Unfortunately this market sector is mostly locked in to a Windows ecosystem now, more's the pity.)

15. deanb01

There's your problem, right there

Yep, our org had the same problem on Friday. I was the first to notice it / unlucky to get the definitions installed, so my laptop was used as the guinea pig. Thankfully I'd noticed that Defender had been popping up more notifications than usual, so we quickly isolated the problem, the offending rule was disabled, and I was then left with the task of fixing up my shortcuts. Sigh.

16. Pirate Dave Silver badge

Expected

This is what happens when you use ChatGPT to write your antivirus update code...

17. arachnoid2
    Holmes

Desktop image

Just make a quick desktop image including all the icons before it happens, then just apply this as the default desktop background and voila the problem is solved.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like