back to article Nice smart device – how long does it get software updates?

Buyers of high-end smart devices could find their shiny appliance loses some of its capabilities or becomes a security risk after a few short years when manufacturers fail to provide software updates, says Which? The consumer rights organization reckons this situation could affect various domestic appliances such as washing …

1. Potemkine! Silver badge

IoS

There's no such thing as a smart device, only connected ones.

Stop this marketing BS please.

1. ThatOne Silver badge
      Devil

Re: IoS

> no such thing as a smart device

It's called so because it's clearly smarter then the buyer...

2. Roger Greenwood
      Stop

At least we will all soon be driving self charging cars.....

1. Alumoi Silver badge

Self chargings what? Your credit card? BMW is already doing that.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Exactly and connected devices can easily become disconnected.

The radiator thermostatic valves in my house are mostly over 40 years old and still work, the central thermostats is over 25 years old and still works.

The IoT version of these might offer some small benefits but those are vastly overshadowed by the need to replace them every few years both from a cost and environmental point of view.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm not a fan of smart devices but ironically smart thermostats are one thing I am thinking of investing in,

My house is on 3 floors, the top floor was basically storage and my office, I work at home after the huge hike in gas prices i have moved my office downstairs and only heat the top floor enough to prevent things from getting mouldy or freezing.

During the day I need to heat my new office as sitting still in bitter cold doesn't end well for me but don't need to heat the other bedrooms or lounge, later in the afternoon I do need to heat the lounge and dining room and then when I finish work I no longer need to heat the office. before the huge price hikes this level of complexity was too much to get my head around and we were just heating the whole house as long as someone is home.

Whilst have remote controls for lights and plug sockets these are dumb rf devices which dont have any interconnectivity I do have streaming speakers but not smart versions and although these were expensive Bose devices it looks as if support for these will disappear shortly. This may mean I lose the multi room functionality but hopefully Bluetooth streaming from my phone will continue to work.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I'm not a fan of smart devices but ironically smart thermostats are one thing I am thinking of investing in,"

If you have regular working hours, probably programmable thermostats would be enough, they don't have to be connected ones.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

>If you have regular working hours

For many years I worked irregular hours and locations, I was able to manage with a programmable thermostat etc.

Although I did once have a close call with a frozen water supply, but the application of a trace heating strip with a frost thermostat solved that particular problem.

From the work I had to do with my daughter's uni. flat, I think too many people believe the most economical use of the heating is to only have it on when you are in the house, not that you actually need it on to keep the structure dry and prevent mould growth.

So I basically set the room state to always come on if the ambient temperature falls below 14C (*) and then give the house a couple of blasts which get the temperature in those damp places mould likes to grow well over 12C so they dry out.

(*) Interestingly, I've come across a number of insurance policies where if the house is to be left vacant with water in the central heating system and pipes then the minimum temperature needs to be set at 15C and the house to be visited at least once a week...

2. teebie

"If you have regular working hours, probably programmable thermostats would be enough, they don't have to be connected ones."

And if you have irregular hours, take your coat off a bit later after you get home.

(And set the night time temperature to 5 degrees celsius so the pipes don't freeze)

2. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

TBH, I've been thinking about replacing our thermostat with a Raspberry PI, or equivalent. It seems tailor made for the job. It can be as complex or as simple as I can be arsed to code.

1. find users who cut cat tail

That is basically the right approach to all ‘smart’ devices. In some cases there can be benefits if the thing is programmable or remote controlled or something. But… The piece with the complicated software has to be disentangled from the hardware. You have hardware which actually does something – and with that you may or may not have a computer (whatever the form factor) which provides the smarts. And they can be replaced independently. Because they have very different upgrade cycles. Then it perhaps can work.

3. Roland6 Silver badge

>During the day I need to heat my new office as sitting still in bitter cold doesn't end well for me but don't need to heat the other bedrooms or lounge

In my previous posting I missed this.

Personally, Given you are using the central heating as your main heating, the simple solution to creating a warm spot in your office is to purchase an infrared heater and use this to provide the additional 'blast' of heat and have the window open! The purchase and operating cost is likely to be much lower than changing the central heating to heat just your office.

4. rcw88

If you want to save money you need a thermostatic valve on each radiator, set to the temperature you want the room to be heated to. You can get ones off the shelf for about £20 upwards. It will save you at least 10%, I had an electric storage boiler [horrible contraption] with water to radiators, which cost a fortune to run 25 years ago, so it was well worth it. No house should be without TRV's.

Alternatively you could play with OpenTRV, https://github.com/opentrv, which has been around for a good while.

4. Dabooka

Brilliantly put.

Mind I see this all the time with iWatches and things, seems people are happy to switch them out a couple of years.

Yet they laugh at me for a proper analogue automatic

1. AlbertH

I get the same laughter for my >20-year-old radio controlled solar-powered Junghans analogue watch. Entirely accurate, elegant, utterly reliable....

My nephew's iWatch fails if he moves more than a couple of metres from his iPhone, and persistently bursts into life telling him that it didn't understand his last verbal command (that he hadn't actually made - Siri had just assumed that the conversation was directed at it!)

2. Ball boy Silver badge

Home devices at risk?

It's almost as if Which has been reading the numerous about this problem that El Reg have featured over the years.

Still, nice to see it gaining traction in the mainstream press at long last.

1. b0llchit Silver badge
      Flame

Re: Home devices at risk?

The attention it now gets is just a faint wave.

Nothing will change until legislation demands 25 years of support. And that should be the absolute minimum time period for support.

If the company no longer wishes to support a device (sku) prior to the 25 year period, then it must, at least one year prior, publicly release all code and schematics, from client device to server systems and for all freely accessible, so that others may provide support and updates.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If only the buyers had more sway with the government than the manufacturers.

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

The sad thing is buyers should hold the most sway, as they're the ones who elect goverments to office (assuming said buyers live in some semblance of a democracy).

But it'll take the voters acting collectively to vote anyone out of office who doesn't support such long support periods and EOL requirements. Which is why it'll propbably never happen.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

equally, if only the government had more sway with the manufacturers than the buyers do.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

and 25 years later the court case will be going on, somebody's making money, that somebody else is going to provide (guess who?) Meanwhile those who want / need support...

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"publicly release all code and schematics, from client device to server systems and for all freely accessible"

Except, of course, the mish-mash complex warren of variously licenced components, especially in the s/w, that can't be given away for free and the licensors simply won't allow to be given away because they are still raking in licence fees from other users/vendors.

A couple of possible solutions is only using open source as the base and developing on top of that in house so all of the IP is "owned" by the vendor or otherwise unencumbered or fully developing in-house, risking patent infringements, ramping the costs up significantly and re-inventing the wheel at each and every OEM.

Personally, I'd say the most obvious and viable solution is to keep the same codebase as near as possible and not keep re-inventing the "look and feel" for each and every new model. Security fixes can be developed for the base level that could be 10 years old, and only then update and adapt the fixes for the newer versions.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

>"publicly release all code and schematics, from client device to server systems and for all freely accessible"

Suggest 20 years rather than 25 and so aligned with patent protection. And for the disclosure to commence after 10 years to registered third-party repair agencies - so the after-market is able to pick this up, just as they do with spare (physical) parts. Given the major white goods manufacturers currently participate in this service and maintenance market, it shouldn't cause that much of a disturbance...

>Except, of course, the mish-mash complex warren of variously licenced components

With a statutory requirement to disclose, I suspect this will have a massive impact on the way stuff is developed. Wouldn't be surprised if the entire process becomes more aligned with open-source ethics.

>and not keep re-inventing the "look and feel" for each and every new model

Its only really Microsoft who have championed the mixing of core functionality with the "look and feel" - there really is no good reason for Windows 10/11 to have the same mangled code as Win95. Remember with Win3/WfWg the desktop aka Program Manager sat on top of the core windows functionality, hence why others such as HP were able to build their own version of Program Manager.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't think it's good to see it break into mainstream. More like: the shit's become so popular that it's broken into mainstream....

3. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Nobody

These smart versions may offer remote control using an app, allowing people to control their washes using a smartphone or one of those voice-activated assistants, or might use software to determine the most suitable wash program for dishes, choosing cycles that are water and energy efficient.

Nobody asked for this. I have never met anyone saying even once "Gee, I wish I could control my dishwasher from an app. You know rather than just pressing a button to start the cycle, I'd rather pull up the phone, find the app, troubleshoot why it is not connected, see an advert and turn on the dishwashing function and then you know watch the cycles and water usage."

1. Ball boy Silver badge

Re: Nobody

Plus - because the app will almost certainly have to be registered - swim through the inevitable emails from the manufacturer to remind me to buy a service schedule and consider buying other white goods they are promoting. Doubtless they'll also email the user to remind them that the damn machine needs to be replaced when it's about 4 years old. By happy coincidence, they'll be offering a super deal on a new one.

1. Caver_Dave Silver badge
        WTF?

What happens if your service plan extends longer (e.g. 5 years) than the software support (e.g. 2 years) and there is a serious software flaw found between the two dates (e.g. years 3 - 5)?

IANAL, but that seems interesting

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Many of us have mentioned that more or less since the first of these types of devices came on the market. In the UK and EU, there is a thing called "reasonable life" expectancy that covers the device long past the 2 year warranty period. Usually parts only and it has to shown the fault was inherent in the design or a manufacturing defect and the "value" tapers down with age.

I'm surprised there hasn't been court cases yet of devices failing to work as advertised after a couple of years. The most obvious being the "smart" TVs where half the apps stop working after a couple of years and which most people already have.

I wonder how many "out of court settlements" there have been with people who have refused to back down against the retailers and/or manufacturers, probably with NDAs?

2. ThatOne Silver badge
      Devil

> I have never met anyone saying even once

Wait and somebody will pop up to tell us he can't live without being able to launch his dishwasher from the subway, using voice control. Now why this might be a necessity would need quite some creative argumenting, but I'm sure somebody will step up eventually...

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

And they have a drone that flies around the house and collect the dishes and put them in the dishwasher as well...

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
          Joke

More commonly known as the wife!

1. Red Ted
            Joke

What, one of those things what wakes you up in the morning and makes you a cup of tea? If only there was a machine for that!

1. Kane
              Stop

"What, one of those things what wakes you up in the morning and makes you a cup of tea? If only there was a machine for that!"

No, no thank you, I think we're done with that era of tech!

1. Red Ted
                Go

'cos the current era of tech means that it would have to be connected to the internet and we all know how that ends (see original article)!

2. ThatOne Silver badge
              Devil

> wakes you up in the morning and makes you a cup of tea

It's called a butler.

It's guaranteed to last, but subscription fees are high.

Coat

Jeeves? Sorry I had to Ask :-)

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Well I see they dropped Jeeves back in 2010 but the search engine is still up and running:

Ask.Com for the newsfeed styled landing page, uk.ask.com for the minimalist version.

3. VerySlowData
              Mushroom

shades of the famous Bluebottle from the late lamented Goon Show!

1. Red Ted
                Go

Very well done for getting that reference! The joke is something along the lines of:

Bluebottle: “When my Grandpa retired they got him one of those things what wakes you up in the morning and makes you a cup of tea.”

Seagoon: “That was nice…”

Bluebottle: “Yes, it was my Grandma”

2. darklord

Just need a drone which shocks moody teenagers to fill the Dishwasher or empty the cutlery from their disease laden pits and at least put them somewhere they can be found, instead of shunting things under that blackhole of detritus called under the bed!!!!!!!

1. PM from Hell
            Facepalm

Nice to see that some teen traits haven't been changed by the digital revolution. I was having the same issue 20 years ago.

2. Roland6 Silver badge
            Pint

I found allowing 'Girlfriend' or 'Boyfriend' to be entertained at home does wonders for both the "disease laden pit" aka bedroom and for Boys to overcome their aversion to baths et al.

Allowing the holding of a New Year party, got the entire house tidied both beforehand and afterwards...

Icon, because you'll need a few to calm the nerves and they can serve as rewards for well-behaved teenagers.

1. I could be a dog really Bronze badge

House tidies up ? I can believe beforehand, but afterwards - I'm struggling with that.

2. robinsonb5

The only compelling use case I can think of would be to make optimum use of domestic solar panels. A friend of mine has such an installation, and can monitor the panels' output remotely. Being able to take a few moment in the lunch break to see how much power the panels are producing, and to decide whether or not to start a pre-loaded dishwasher could be handy.

(Of course, most of those same benefits could be realised with an old fashioned time switch - if only the appliance had physical switches instead of push-buttons!)

1. ThatOne Silver badge

> (Of course, most of those same benefits could be realised with an old fashioned time switch - if only the appliance had physical switches instead of push-buttons!)

Or some kind of local automation along the lines of "sun shines = start the dishwasher"... Now if you want to go overkill, add a module which only starts the appliances if/when the solar panel output goes over a given threshold.

2. Marc 13

And if the sun is not shining, they wont run the dishwasher? They will unload it and wash by hand or wait till tomorrow (and hope it shines then?)

Doubtful!

1. ThatOne Silver badge
            Happy

> And if the sun is not shining, they wont run the dishwasher?

Oh well, I'm assuming the sun will eventually shine where ever they live... Obviously if they live in a polar night zone, they'd better not rely too much on those solar panels...

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

A genuinely "smart" dishwasher would have a timer set for the latest you want them done by then monitor the solar power storage unit and attempt to wait for it to have enough energy before starting the cycle, and if it doesn't reach full potential, start anyway, making use of what is stored before the storage unit switches back to grid supply. If the storage battery reaches enough potential to run the dish washer, start immediately to make space in the battery for the rest of the day to continue charging. No point in having a full battery and draining a fair amount just before you get home. Being able to manually check remotely and set things going is a backward step. True automation and optimisation is the devices doing this all themselves to minimise grid power usage.

3. PM from Hell

my dishwasher and the last 3 from different manufacturers all had a delay function you could use by pushing the start button several times.

4. Roland6 Silver badge

>Being able to take a few moment in the lunch break to see how much power the panels are producing, and to decide whether or not to start a pre-loaded dishwasher could be handy.

If you've got time to do this, I suggest you need to think about getting a life.

About the only things I want to know about before I walk in are:

The freezer has stopped working, or "pick dinner up on the way home as we're out/running late".

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

well, once the 'dynamic' pricing of the home grid becomes reality, you will not want to start your washing machine any other time than 3 a.m., so...

1. Roland6 Silver badge

>well, once the 'dynamic' pricing of the home grid becomes reality

I assume it will become a lot like an Ebay auction so you'll only really know what the price is at the start of the period, in your example at 3:01 a.m. Naturally, if your bid is unsuccessful, your meter will limit/shut-off your electricity until such a time as your bid is successful...

3. Giles C Silver badge

I have a so called smart washing machine. I say so called because I have never connected it to WiFi, or downloaded the app for it.

Until they make a washing machine that can load and empty iftself and put the clothes away what is the point. It has a delay start function so I can load it in advance but I can’t see the point of the other so called smart features.

Same as I why would I want lights I can turn on by using my phone, there are switches around the house that do it for me.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Appliances, agree. But some controllable light switches are useful to keep the burglars away. Lights can be told to turn on or off at some point in the evening, in different rooms. And I do like being able to control the heating so that it can go on when we are getting nearer home. Smart doorbells- I'm still not sure We have a basic Ring doorbell It's improved quite a lot since we bought it, ( so those updates are important!) but it's still not quite up there with the promise suggested by the adverts. And was probably more expensive than was justified, It's not often that we use it for more than could be achieved by a normal old fashioned ding-dong bell.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Is it possible for someone to make a not-so-smart doorbell? Just a button that connects to my home and rings through the home smart speakers and/or my phone.

I dont need to physically see who's at the door before I answer j, I don't need to record the postie putting letters through my door. I just to know there's someone on my doorstep.

1. Joel Mansford

Get pretty-much any zigbee hub (Philips Hue is popular) and then any battery Zigbee push-button. Aliexpress has _tons_ of them.

Most of the big-brang Zigbee hubs having integrations with Google / Alexa.

For bonus points run Home Assistant on an old PC or a Pi, add a zigbee transmitter and do the whole lot locally. It's extremely satisfying I assure you!

1. Piro Silver badge

Yeah cheap zigbee works well, uses very little power (or none, see enocean), and is well integrated in to home assistant as long as you have something like a hue bridge. A joy

2. FeepingCreature Bronze badge

One thing that's missing for me is geofencing an Android phone as a trigger. That aside, Home Assistant runs great.

1. bartsmit

You mean like this? https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/zone/

1. FeepingCreature Bronze badge

Ah, yes! Perfect, thanks!

Took me a while to set up subdomain reverse proxying for my HomeAssistant instance, but it works now.

2. PM from Hell
            Trollface

see my comment above

2. darklord

We've had those for years, they're called timers. back to the 80s with you. and the police adverts same as self opening curtains and such.

I will say I'm impressed with my home Alarm system being semi smart and also my last car. sending route details to the car from indoors and checking how much fuel i have was actually useful before I got in Especially if the Wife had used the car previously,

Not so much the washing machine. the only person it tells the washing is done is my daughter. Really useful when she was away at university 186 miles away.

God knows why she connected it to her phone.

Most smart smart tech devices are solutions to problems we didn't have and a convenient way of dragging your router /hub bandwidth down to zero.

"God knows why she connected it to her phone."

Awwwww, how sweet. She just wants know you're both ok while she's away without the bother of, you know, talking to you. If she doesn't get a washing machine alert at least once per week, it's time call the Police :-)

2. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Re: sending route details to the car from indoors and checking how much fuel i have

Not gonna tell you anything more than you will see by looking at the fuel gauge when you start the car. Either way you'll still need to get fuel if you've got less range than your journey needs. Not sure how knowing that in advance helps, other than you might need to allow another 10 mins for your trip.

I can appreciate that sending the destination to the satnav remotely could be useful though, especially if the satnav is fiddly to use compared to your smart app.

Of course, if manufacturers made satnavs that actually considered usability, that would also help. Far to many seem to forget the thing needs to be used by a human, with fingers.

3. Roland6 Silver badge

>and checking how much fuel i have was actually useful before I got in Especially if the Wife had used the car previously,

I found in these circumstances it was sensible to always check the car the previous evening - too many early starts to catch a red-eye flight where fitting in a petrol stop at an open garage within the mileage left in the tank was non-trivial...

Also those mornings where the other half was departing first and wanted to take "your car" ie. they knew their car was practically empty of fuel...

3. PM from Hell

We use the Labrador intrusion detection system. its not 100% effective but we have a backup Labrador in case the first one is in power saving mode.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

is it the one that pops up micro-granades that explode in mid-air, or the one with serrated knives around the front-end orfice (extremely handy for clipping cigars too, I'm told).

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Visited a colleague at home recently and she lives in a very old house. Still had the original door bell, nearly a hundred years old! Took in a minute to work out how to use it (it was in the evening so fairly dark is my excuse), but it was metal, and you had to twist it.

worked a treat

2. Kistelek

If you had teenagers who appear incapable of using a light switch you might, or, as we've done, use LED bulbs with motion sensors and Dawn 2 Dusk sensors in to achieve the same function without informing Amazon of our action.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

our semi-domesticated teens are motionless most of the time so it wouldn't work :(

brain-wave detectors...? Er... careful here, internet never forgets!

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

We have a dumb washing machine which has the delayed start function, so wouldn't call it a smart feature

4. Lusty

Smart washing machines tell you when they’re done through your phone. If you have an office the other end of the house this can be the difference of finishing the washing in a day or not as you’ll know when the dryer is ready for the next load.

Not a huge advantage but I do find this handy.

1. Caver_Dave Silver badge

I have a watch that is capable of telling me when the 30 minute wash finishes. In addition it can tell me when the 60 minute and 90 minute washes finish. All I need to do is look at it an do some very simple maths, or alternatively set a simple alarm.

1. Lusty

Your machine still uses a basic timer? I've not had one like that for 20 years. The time is based on the load on any halfway modern machine to save energy and water.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

That isn't what was said.

My 20 year old washing machine has a number of wash programmes which according to the manual broadly correspond to 30/60/90 minute washes. However, as the machine has various setting (stains, extra rinse, short spin etc.) and sensors (load, water colour etc.) a wash programme can be shorter (or longer). As far as I'm concerned based on my selections my washing machine is always ready to be emptied after an hour, hence I simply organise my 'washday' time and activities around this. Similar applies to the tumble drier. This way the washing can get done whilst being slotted around a load of other jobs...

I just don't see any benefit in rushing to sort the washing out, just because the programme has finished after 50 minutes rather than 59 minutes...

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

and therefore nobody else is allowed to see the benefit either?

2. Roland6 Silver badge

>If you have an office the other end of the house

Remember the baby alarms? probably tucked away in a cupboard in the garage...

Otherwise, simply time your coffee/exercise breaks accordingly...

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Nobody asked for this. I have never met anyone saying even once "Gee, I wish I could control my dishwasher from an app.

Eldest sprog complained after coming back from Uni that the washing machine at home didn't send her phone notifications when it had finished washing her stuff unlike the ones in halls in uni.

Not that I think it would make any difference to persuading her to walk down the stairs and take her cloths out of the machine

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

She'll know exactly when not to walk down the stairs, lest she gets lumbered with unloading the machine.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ah, I'm not alone in using the term sprog. SWMBO kept telling me off for referring to the 2nd generation as sproglets, to the point where I decided it was easiest to simply find a different term of endearment.

5. EricB123 Bronze badge

Whatever happened to the old-fashioned watching the clothes go round at the laundromat?

1. Clunking Fist

After discovering too late that a homeless guy had used the dryer to warm up his dog's blanket, never went near one again.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

are you suggesting nobody asked for mobile phone banking so that it would save banks shitloads of money which they would re-route back to their customers?! ;)

7. JimboSmith Silver badge

Many of us have mentioned that more or less since the first of these types of devices came on the market. In the UK and EU, there is a thing called "reasonable life" expectancy that covers the device long past the 2 year warranty period. Usually parts only and it has to shown the fault was inherent in the design or a manufacturing defect and the "value" tapers down with age.

I'm surprised there hasn't been court cases yet of devices failing to work as advertised after a couple of years. The most obvious being the "smart" TVs where half the apps stop working after a couple of years and which most people already have.

I wonder how many "out of court settlements" there have been with people who have refused to back down against the retailers and/or manufacturers, probably with NDAs?

My dishwasher has a delay function to allow me to schedule a wash using cheap rate electricity. That’s smart enough for me and my needs.

Whilst away at Christmas a friend of the family asked me what I would recommend when purchasing smart devices. I said I wouldn’t and that connected appliances etc. we’re only as smart as the backend support/updates. I cited articles on here and my own parents who have a Panasonic ‘smart’ TV. My mum the week before Christmas wanted to watch ITV catch-up on the telly. It didn’t work so she called me and I dutifully went round to diagnose the problem. I said that the encryption had changed on the iTV online offerings and doubtless her telly wasn’t capable or hadn’t had the dev work put in to make it work now. One unhappy mother later and she’s found information online saying the same thing. I hooked her laptop up to the telly and she was able to watch her prog but not something she could do on her own.

A non techie colleague admitted to having a smart speaker in his bedroom when we quizzed the office about in home technology at the end of last year. Those of us with an idea of how these things work tried to dissuade him from doing so. He said that it was so convenient to be able to tell it to play Radio 4 so they could listen to the Today show whilst lying there. I said as opposed to an AM/FM radio which you leave tuned to Radio 4 and just press the button? He didn’t have much of an answer to that sadly.

8. Barking mad

You're right. Get up out of your chair, walk over, press the button: you need the exercise.

4. Ol'Peculier

The only consumer device bar the TV I've got connected to the internet is a heater in my living room that I can turn on if it's a bit cold about quarter of an hour before leaving the pub.

Just can't see the point in anything else, although I am slightly tempted with a cleaning robot...

1. Antron Argaiv Silver badge

Connected thermostat

The daughter has one. She know if her heating is working while at work (or on holiday). Good thing to know if you live where your pipes might freeze if the heating fails.

Dishwasher? Washing machine? Not a priority for connection. Refrigerator? Perhaps, considering ours has failed twice in the last 2 years (Motor controller and defroster heater), but it didn't alert us to the problem until the temperature had risen enough to spoil the food. Not so smart...

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Connected thermostat

All thermostats have a frost-free mode that should mean the pipes never freeze.

I do have programmable thermostats, though these are not "connected". In most rooms, most of the time you either want the same kind of programme or have them at a minimal temperature. When we go on holiday the heating goes to night mode.

The risks of anything kind of home device that is connected to the internet generally far outweigh their benefits.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Connected thermostat

>All thermostats have a frost-free mode that should mean the pipes never freeze.

Not the case.

My (dumb) radiator thermostats have a frost setting, never used as I would like my rooms to be a bit warmer.

My (dumb) room stats only have power when the central heating is on and is a simple bimetallic strip.

My (dumb) boiler does have a frost stat, only to prevent the boiler itself freezing. This is the same as the stats in 'smart' combi boilers.

The controller is intelligent only so far as to run the preprogrammed heating/water cycle.

If you don't want the pipes to freeze then you have to either run the heating or install trace heating.

Personally, I would install trace heating on all pipes that are affixed to an exterior wall - the interior surface of a north facing wall exposed to the wind can get very cold even if the cavity has been insulated.

2. elbisivni

the robot vacuum is, for me, a definite buy. It runs every second night, or when I think it needs a bit of an extra scrubbing, and keeps on top of the dust and cat hair without me lifting a finger. And given it enjoys eating cables it also motivates me to tidy up regularly.

Also, voice controlled occasional lights because the genius who decided where to put the light switches in my home placed them at the end of long hallways, rather than the beginning. I can now shout at the house to turn them on, and if I leave the house having forgotten to turn one off a geofence turns them off automatically if I get far enough away.

1. Julian 8 Silver badge

Or they are at the beginning and not the en ;)

Robot Vacuum is great as ours docks under a sofa (keep it out of sight), but if the app was to stop, it is easy enough to relocate and press the "Start cleaning" button

2. PM from Hell
        Joke

I hope you live alone, although I do find the idea of yor family being plunged into darkness every time you leave the house hysterical

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

end of long hallways, rather than the beginning

well, it's all a matter of perspective, as Apple would claim...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

you don't see the point, because there is no point. The whole point is about generating 'need' out of blue wifi. And you can't argue it's NOT working! :(

5. heyrick Silver badge

Software support and updates might crease prematurely, but I'd bet cold hard cash on the data slurpage continuing as long as the device is connected to the world.

1. Timo

I've heard other suggestions that people could/should fire up additional computers with fake soft clients on them to spam the data collection server, thereby lowering the signal to noise ratios, and anonymizing the actual usage because it can't be found in the swamp of garbage data.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But isn't this just indicative of the drive to make everything 'smart'?

Just look at modern cars. Manufacturers ceasing to produce replacement ECUs, so when your ECU fails you face having to purchase a new vehicle. Tractors are another example. Feels like forced obsolescence to me.

7. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Right to repair

They should tie this into the right to repair legislation - once a manufacturer decides to stop offering updates it should be legally required to make the details of the device APIs and update protocols public, so that third-parties can take over if they want to.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Right to repair

Yup. I got annoyed at a device that failed - it was an easy fix but they;

- used horrible screws (with a warranty sticker over one of them - it had already lapsed).

- glued stuff down.

Once I'd warmed up the glue, was able to remove the component and replace with a £10 part. All fixed and working.

1. heyrick Silver badge

You've just described half the mobile phones made this decade...

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Good luck finding a mobile phone part for £10

1. bartsmit

You are correct! Nothing cheaper than £12.95 for my phone. Outrageous! https://shop.fairphone.com/gb_en/spare-parts

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Agree - the last replacement battery I got for an iPhone was £20 - well, I could have bought it for that, but the local repair shop did a supply and fit for £15. Admittedly that was 4 years ago, but the phone is still working (it's a spare I keep in my car, with a cheap PAYG SIM, for emergencies should my wife or I forget to take our own with us). I need to make a call every <6 months to keep the SIM active, and the battery holds its charge for that time, too; I just need to remember to bring it in from the car 2/3 times a year to make a call and top up the charge...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I agree, I have been saying that for years, it ought to be a mandatory component of approval. End of life? Go public. If you don't, you're no longer allowed to sell devices until you comply. That, of course, also includes the ability to redirect management and remote control so that you can point it elsewhere to continue operation.

If the device depends on some server code, that ought to become part of the disclosure, otherwise the code in the IoT device is not that much use.

I originally thought this sould have a value limit so cheap things under, say, €50 would not have this mandate, but then I realised that mandating this would automatically result in a lot less rubbish being sold as well which would be beneficial in itself..

If you don't, you're no longer allowed to sell devices until you comply

That's no deterrent if the business isn't around anyway. And if you do plan to be around, easy to work around - "simply" licence a 3rd party (who happens to have been created just 6 months ago and is 100% owned by you) with a similar name to use your trademark logos etc. Want to cut off support and the endless drain on profits ? Just wind up the 3rd party.

3. Ball boy Silver badge

Once a manufacturer stops offering updates? Good plan: that'd oblige Redmond et al to release the source code for any number of interesting things!

On second thoughts, I'm not sure the world is quite ready to see the machinations that underpin Vista. I'm not sure the world will ever be ready for that!

1. Nonymous Crowd Nerd

Re: Right to repair Windows

If they had had to maintain updates for XP or release its code publicly, then they would have continued to update it.

Vista would never have seen the light of day.

And that would have been better all round.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Right to repair Windows

Tangent: Given how 'compromised' XP licence activation became, they wouldn't have had to release a new 'free' version.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lost battle

After I read elsewhere about a "smart" cutting board (the piece of wood you put beneath things to preserve both your knife's edge and your kitchen table), I now definitely know the "smart" fad will eventually conquer all items, even the most dumb ones.

How can you eat without a smart fork & knife telling you the calories and exact temperature of whatever you shove into your mouth? And of course, allow you to access them from any point on the planet because, well, you can. And it would be uncool not to be able to, wouldn't it. I'm sure the Joneses already have one.

1. Nifty Silver badge

Re: Lost battle

Yeah I accidentally paired with the neighbours toothbrush yesterday.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That buzzing thing was not a toothbrush, but she appreciates your interaction :-)

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"How can you eat without a smart fork & knife telling you the calories and exact temperature of whatever you shove into your mouth? And of course, allow you to access them from any point on the planet because, well, you can. And it would be uncool not to be able to, wouldn't it. I'm sure the Joneses already have one."

Ah, you want a return to the days when those who could afford them carried their own cutlery with them like a key chain :-)

Not quite the same thing, but I keep a set of eating irons for the office because it's the only way to be sure of there being any available (and in a fit state to be used).

9. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Not just an IoT issue

I'm reminded of this IEEE article https://spectrum.ieee.org/bionic-eye-obsolete. People with medical implants finding that they just switched off because the supplier no longer supported them, which is quite horrifying.

1. ThereBePirates

Re: Not just an IoT issue

That article is horrifying.. Poor people

2. spold Silver badge

...sorry your pacemaker is "end of life"

1. Paul Cooper

Pacemakers need regular replacement anyway, though new battery technology is stretching the interval. 10 years is about usual these days.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Pacemakers are the initial target of diamond batteries; you will have rotted away before the battery expires...

10. Bitsminer Silver badge

Smart fridge

I'm still waiting for the smart refrigerator that will open the door, close the door, or hold the door open "smartly".

Meaning on voice command.

Without need for using a foot or elbow.

1. ThatOne Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Smart fridge

Well, we already have the most important, the refrigerator which after a while will yell "Close that door already you (redacted), this is not a cupboard!"...

Essential with some persons.

1. JRS

If I wasn't in such a good mood I'd downvote you for unnecessary use of the word "Already".

Unless there's some sort of irony in a smart device not being learnt how to talk proper.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

.. taught .. ?

(irony alert :) ).

1. snowpages
            Facepalm

woosh....

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

there's a poetic element of 'I'm alive and I'm f... furious!' in that 'already'. Keep it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"get me a cup of tea, love... oh, and some chocolate hob-nobs while you're there"

Or you could just Ask Jeeves

11. Fred Daggy Silver badge
    Headmaster

I think it is time for all companies to be forced to turn over their communication protocols and private keys for Smart/Connected/IoT connected devices to the Government, to be held in escrow. Plus any other information required to manage the device (a la GPL's requirement for build scripts). Note: I see the conflict here which might enable govt snooping - but if you can't log in to the device, what good are the protocols alone?

There should be a guaranteed minimum time that the devices is supported. Legislated. And if the device fails to be supported (either by the company going broke, or just deciding to turn it off), then these should be made public. If (for example) there is a patent around the device, then, the government should be able to release that document during the patent time if the company no longer supports the device. Or automatically at the end of the patent.

If there isn't a patent, then, whenever "no longer supported".

This is over and above any other "right to repair" laws.

How to enforce this? Well, we can already force retailers and etailers to collect Sales/VAT/GST taxes, a special punishment level tax for anything that does not comply. No one will stock the device is they might be held liable for 1000 times the cost of the device.

Dagg, F.

1. Totally not a Cylon

Downvoted for saying the Government...

Like the idea but not with the Government holding them.

1. gryphon

Agreed.

Enforcement by govt. not held by govt.

e.g. NCC Group for instance offers software escrow and has for many years.

12. Totally not a Cylon
    Boffin

DIY

Just make your own. I've just made my own connected doorbell using a Pico W to detect the bell push being pushed and send a notification to my Raspberry Pi Z-wave controller which uses Homekit Bridge to make the Homepod ring and notify my phone.....

1. Antron Argaiv Silver badge

Re: DIY

My ancient burglar/fire alarm wants a dial-up line to talk to a service provider. I have "Arduino-ed" a device that listens on the control panel comms line, and when it sees a zone alert, sends me an SMS (if I have enabled it over the web interface). Useful if I'm on holiday.

2. Plest Silver badge

Re: DIY

Take a look at the Arduino ESP32 boards, they are truly wonderful little miracles. My Dad ( who's in his 80s! ) plays with Arduino kit a lot as something to keep his brain active show me his ESP32, he was building little remote controlled devices. You basically a tiny machine with a tiny LCD, bluetooth and wifi on a device the size of your thumb powered by 5v. Incredible for little fun projects like home automation with the advanatge that the code is 100% yours and no interference from some manufacturer or fear of being cut off.

13. mobailey

Case in Point

Hive Cameras. and other products, which are being turned into bricks from this summer. Hive is switching off our devices for us, for so-called "environmental reasons". Because ending a product's life artificially early, and forcing a replacement (Non-Hive) product to be manufactured, purchased and installed is great way to achieve Net Zero.

-mobailey

1. ThatOne Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Case in Point

> for so-called "environmental reasons"

Everything is for "environmental reasons" nowadays.

For instance I just got me a cup of coffee, for "environmental reasons" obviously.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Still waiting for the ultimate smart device to literally plug/wire in to......

... the wife... because she's the dumbest thing in the house.

(anonymous because...........)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Still waiting for the ultimate smart device to literally plug/wire in to......

Maybe she is plugged in and just needs to be turned on?

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
        Joke

Re: Still waiting for the ultimate smart device to literally plug/wire in to......

Maybe she was upgraded and no longer prints out everything that used to make the snivelling, miserable coward happy every day?

That's the end of my joke ... Originally when we started making devices we built everything with hardware and virtually never saw any of the issues that we have today - yes, there was one problem when a circuit board died, or a compressor started to leak. And the manufacturer would say that it's no longer available ... so you have to buy a new device. This is just the way it all works, forcing everyone to keep buying devices, not keep using them.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I suspect the turning on part may indeed be lacking..

2. Plest Silver badge

Sorry, not really very funny. My wife might not be smartest spark about some things but she's got talents I don't have the patience for and with it my full respect. I'd never put her down or insult her for any reason. She puts up with me, so she's invested in a life long hard project!

15. karlkarl Silver badge

Having a definite EOL of a tool/machine is a bad idea and I think one that is a little bit incompatible with the human psyche.

Back as far as the caveman days we would try to re-purpose and get as long life out of our tools as we could*. I think to have someone else telling us that we need to throw it out after a certain time is damaging to us.

* Actually, what separates us from other "tool making" species is the fact that we are the only ones to start fixing and passing down tools to our children. Material inheritance is a fairly unique part us.

1. heyrick Silver badge

For turning the veg patch, I recovered and cleaned up an old rotovator. Luckily the engine wasn't in bad shape, a new air filter (the previous didn't exist) and complete strip down and clean and it's working again.

Me? I'll be half a century next year. The thing is as old as I am.

If it continues to function, why not make use of it?

Likewise, I have an old washing machine (late 80s) that I fixed by replacing the motor capacitors. And my (18 year old) fridge? Thermostat failed, so I got a replacement from Amazon for €12 and rigged it up. It's a little too long, but it works and that's the important part.

It seems, to me, to be really shitty to be forced to dump something because a small part failed. Whether an actual thing or a software thing, it doesn't matter. The price of so called smart gizmos, I want to look at a lifespan touching double digits (at least, with support), not merely double years.

I've been looking in the supermarkets for possible replacements for my washing machine. I'm seriously nonplussed. Everything is electronic, intelligent, and tries to jump through hoops in order to "be more efficient". Well, you know my idea of efficient isn't measured by the water consumption, it's measured by how long until the motherboard silently craps out and a replacement either isn't available or costs as much as a new machine. Because it's utterly pointless saving € on water if it'll cost €€€ in a new machine because... [actually, if that was the case, I'd tear it down and see if there was potential for replacing the dead controller with an ESP32 or the like]

While I appreciate your repair skills and will usually do the same, sometimes replacing items is the better option. Those old Fridges, washing machines and PCs are sometimes so inefficient, it's cheaper and better in the long term to scrap than and replace with modern, more efficient kit. Is it worth running an old PC at a few 100W power consumption as a home firewall or spending £30 on RasberryPi, or more on a NUC-like device that uses a couple of Watts?

1. heyrick Silver badge

Oh, my main machines are an Android tablet and a Pi running RISC OS. I very rarely turn on the PC for exactly the reason you give - it sucks way too much power.

I did a calculation a while back and worked out that the Pi, which is fetching data from an old La Crosse weather station every five minutes, can do it's thing in the background always on for about an entire season for the amount of electricity the PC consumes if I run it for a long day (say 9am to 9pm).

2. Roland6 Silver badge

>Those old Fridges, washing machines and PCs are sometimes so inefficient,

Fun thing is once you disconnect from the grid, things get turned on their heads.

With solar panels producing more electricity than many households typically use, but with no real incentive to sell the excess back to the grid, it doesn't really matter if the washing machine is 20 years old. Likewise, with solar-thermal panels you get lashings of hot water, so having devices that can actually take a hot water feed (with solar-thermal you effectively put the water heater directly behind the machine so the machine gets 95C water almost immediately) becomes more useful.

BTW it is worth looking up the specifications of those 20 year old machines and comparing them with modern machines. When I did this for my washing machine and tumble drier I was surprised just how small the changes in real world energy consumption were. Yes the new machines had the super eco programmes but if your weekly family washing is 5+ loads do you want each wash to take circa 3 hours or under 90 minutes? similar considerations apply to the tumble drier and dishwasher.

As for the old freezer, just remember chest freezers have always been more energy efficient than upright.

"With solar panels producing more electricity than many households typically use, but with no real incentive to sell the excess back to the grid, it doesn't really matter if the washing machine is 20 years old."

An interesting point. Something I'd not considered. Thanks.

2. spold Silver badge

My dad's answer was to throw the malfunctioning thing into a bowl of petrol for 24hrs (or an aged bowl of degreaser consisting mainly of aged grease). This worked well a lot of the time including on his 50-year-old watch. I guess that nowadays if it survives 5 minutes longer than the warranty period it was over-engineered and could have been made cheaper.

16. GreggS

SMart

They're only smart if the person using them is smart. That is why i have such a bugbear about so-called smart meters being marketed as better for the consumer, they're not, they're only better for the energy suppliers and National Grid, although, they aren't exactly smart either,

1. NXM Silver badge

Re: SMart

There's been a 'smart' meter at my unit for a year or so. It's never reported any readings, which allows Octopus to wildly overestimate the electricity use.

The only smart option I'd want on a washing machine is a camera so I could watch the washing going round and round. I find that really relaxing. But they don't offer it.

1. heyrick Silver badge

The camera on my washing machine is aimed at the control knob so I can call up a JPEG and know whether or not it's finished yet.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

>The only smart option I'd want on a washing machine is a camera so I could watch the washing going round and round. I find that really relaxing.

For the full effect you will also want the audio.

I had a quiet smile at a friend's neighbour this weekend. They aren't allowed to smoke in the house, so they smoke in the garage, for a reason I didn't ask about, the washing machine and tumble drier are situated in the garage, he had a comfy chair situated directly in front of them where he could watch them and the street...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

unfortunately, smart meters have finally managed to become irresistable. They've been pesting us over their installation for the last 8 years at least, we generally ignored all the shiny pieces they pushed through the door. This still works, although over the last 2 - 4 months they have becoming insistant, i.e. spamming us with text messages and using the usual catch of 'your free! installation! appointment! is on...'. Which we also ignore. And yes, if they turn up on the door, at some point, I will - very politely - tell them to continue their work elsewhere but... but, sooner or later, like with all things in life (car insurance, online banking, etc.) they will squeeze us to the point that their un-meter-service will be so much more expensive that we will yield. You can only afford to be eccentric, if you can afford it and the drive for profit is relentless.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

> Which we also ignore. And yes, if they turn up on the door, at some point, I will - very politely - tell them to continue their work elsewhere

I had an engineer visit pre-lockdown, they got their tools out of the van and the skies opened, it was now too risky to play around with electricity so he packed them away and my meter 'upgrade' postponed, I'm still waiting to be offered a date when the engineer will visit again.

3. Duncan Macdonald

The big reason that the government promotes "smart" meters - they all can be remotely commanded to turn off the power. In the event of a power shortage (as nearly happened last year) they can ensure that the "important" people still have power while the plebs freeze.

Prior to "smart" meters the remote switching off of consumers could only be done on a fairly large area at a time (as happened in the miners strike). This could leave some "important" people without power.

(Another reason that some people like "smart" meters - if they have a mate with access to the meter data then they can work out which houses are unoccupied - makes stealing much easier.)

1. Roland6 Silver badge

>The big reason that the government promotes "smart" meters

And the energy companies like them as they can remotely switch them to prepaid mode without gaining access or the explicit consent of the bill payer. Have a direct debit payment fail and you are on dangerous ground - hence why there has been a rapid increase (several hundreds of thousands) in the last few months of homes on prepaid meters...

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Extended guarantees.

Electrical shops love selling 5 year guarantees on stuff. Can you claim on them if the software stops being maintained?

Re: Extended guarantees.

Most likely there will be caveats in the contract stating that "smart" functions are not part of the base level device and may not continue to function for numerous reasons including but limited to changes made by 3rd parties, eg the YouTube app on the "smart" TV.

On the other hand, the legalese in contracts and warranties are not necessarily enforceable unless and until they are tested in court.

18. 43300 Silver badge

I never buy smart shit, but the problem is that in time nothing else will be available, because the ever-reducing lifespan of devices is in the manufacturers' interest and governments don't generally legislate against it. And it also allows the manufactures to collect all that lovely data as well!

But what exactly is the the point of a smart washing machine or diswasher? They are't going to load themselves, are they? So how is it any more difficlt to turn the dial and press the button once you've loaded them? Many washing machines even have a delay option if you want them to start later (e.g.in the middle of the night).

1. gryphon

I think I read somewhere that if you have a Samsung smart washing machine and Samsung smart dryer that the first could communicate weight etc. of laundry to the latter and adjust program accordingly.

Seemed pretty pointless to me though since your not necessarily taking everything from washing machine and putting in dryer.

1. 43300 Silver badge

Would be a lot more reliable if the dryer just weighed the load when it started, then it would know what it actually had rather than what it theoretically might have!

19. Timop

If I remember correctly at least two different thermostats for electrical heating have been discontinued already.

Should I buy offline version that lasts 20 years and lacks fancy features or one with fancy features that might work for 3 years and then manufacturer pulls the plug. If you don't get hacked before that.

1. 43300 Silver badge

Smart thermostats - there's another waste of money! A timer and a normal thermostat are fine in most cases. If you aren't sure when you are getting home, well it's not the end of the world if you have to turn it on when you get in and wait 20 minutes for it to warm up...

1. Kistelek

Speaketh the person with a gas boiler, not an ASHP.

Coat

Speaketh the person who doesn't return home when its -32C outside.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Well that is one benefit of living in England, where it is exceptional to go below -5C outside...

2. 43300 Silver badge

Ah yes, the "future technology" , which is shite compared to the 'old' technology!

I've lived in flats at various times with gas heating, and with no gas and everything electric. Never felt the need for a 'smart' anything. In the UK at least, it doesn't get much below freezing normally so the -32 scenario doesn't really apply.

20. localzuk Silver badge

Time for regulation

This is exactly where government should be stepping in. Its all well and good saying portable devices need a USB-C plug to be green, but if that device is only supported for 2 years before becoming obsolete? What's green about that?

Re: Time for regulation

Well, the EU have been making noises for a few years about making devices that last longer and are supported for longer and will be repairable outside of warranty. I'm not sure exactly what they have actually done so far, but the standardisation of power connectors is a start.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Time for regulation

Whatever the EU decides you can be sure the UK will claim doing nothing is somehow good and that this is just another example of the EU bureaucracy interfering in (adopt a reverent tone of voice) "The market".

21. rnturn

I'm glad the article mentioned LG. They made a damned fine cellphone but decided that after 1-2 security updates, users weren't going to get any more. When I finally replaced my last LG, it had been over three years since the last updates. I suppose the security-aware cellphone user would simply dump the phone for a newer mode. And LG's response seems to have been "Too much trouble to provide updates. We're leaving the market." I'll be thinking twice before buying another smart-anything from LG.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No mention of the dangers of buying second-hand phones with next to no support

Music Magpie and the like have been running ads for second-hand tech over Xmas

1. Plest Silver badge

I buy second hand but stick to named brands for my refurb items, bought a second hand SamsungS9 last year for £125, it stopped getting updates 9 months ago but as it's bog standard Android I can always switch to another Android release if I'm worried about having the latest patches.

23. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

Time to ...

... update your device. The traditional trade-in cycle (autos and such) to keep up with the Jonses is no longer as effective as it once was. I have a number of cars and trucks which still run just fine with 20 (or more than 40) years on them. This will simply not do to keep new product rolling out of the factory doors.

The solution, which many have settled on, is to sunset the software. And that requires connectivity. My 25 year old truck (the oldest I own with true embedded s/w) still runs fine. Even if the current version of its embedded o/s has long since been surpassed. As long as it doesn't have to keep up with the latest version of JavaScript, no one will be the wiser. Meanwhile, my (32 bit) Samsung fondleslab is hopelessly out of date. And increasingly receives popups to the effect that certain web sites (the advert pop-ups actually) will not function with older browser versions. And yet, it soldiers on.

24. Rob Fisher

Tech press could be better here

I was reading an article about the new Sony Walkmans recently on some mainstream tech site. Lots of praise of all the lovely features, including Android 12. But no discussion of software support promises. This is typical.

To the extent that the tech press is meant to help consumers make purchasing decisions, lack of discussion of this is a failure. Things have improved with phones, with many manufacturers making explicit promises up front.

Well done to the Reg for writing about it. Please tell your friends:)

1. Lorribot

Re: Tech press could be better here

agree with this, reviews for tech should clearly state warranty, firmware/os and any other support. plus a company should have a start rating for previous activity or poor support.

Unfortunately I fear reviewers would scared they would have to by stuff and also be sued for defamation even if they would win.

99% of review on the web are paid for promotions, not always obvious when reviewers start with company X sent over this for us.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

generally, 'review' sites that you manage to get to, are ALL paid for promotions. Well, almost all, because some are better at hiding they're paid for promotions...

2. ThatOne Silver badge

> But no discussion of software support promises

Saw the article; I guess in this case security requirements aren't necessarily the same as for a communication device like a phone. I don't even know if those Android Walkmen have their own SIM cards, or if they need to connect through an existing WiFi network, in which case they would be (somewhat) protected by the network's firewall.

That been said, knowing how things are, I am to assume that they will never see the slightest Android update. Because else it would had been mentioned as a marketing argument. It's the general law stating that if it isn't expressly mentioned, you don't get it.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"To the extent that the tech press is meant to help consumers make purchasing decisions, lack of discussion of this is a failure. Things have improved with phones, with many manufacturers making explicit promises up front."

For many people, their only "main stream media" contact with tech and gadgets in the UK is The Gadget Show. Apart from the new format not being as good as the old one, they NEVER talk about the security implications of the smart devices they are pushing. But then they wouldn't, would they? They might no longer get all the freebies for the "prize draw" they do every week the phone call fees of which probably is a significant portion of their shows profits.

4. Roland6 Silver badge

>To the extent that the tech press is meant to help consumers make purchasing decisions, lack of discussion of this is a failure.

I've made a habit of adding a suitable comment to such articles.

Example 1: laptop review that doesn't assess the built-in webcam, microphone and audio - the world has been using Zoom et al for two years now...

Example 2: Mobile phones: channels supported, peripheral device support - does it support ANT+, which point release of Bluetooth, which WiFi standards and how many inbuilt antennas etc.

25. andrewmm

TVs and cars

Purchased a Sony TV, especially so could watch iPLayer on it

2 years later, Sony withdrew support !,

now use a roku, much cheaper

The car I was looking at,

needed an app on the phone to open car door / turn it on,

how long would that be supported

Another car I was looking at , it had minimal displays, but uses your tablet

again how many years before car is no longer able to run with my tablet !

The car I have

each time it goes in for a service, it gets a software update

last one made it incompatible with the old apple OS on the phone, need a new phone !

Ahhhhhhh

1. Bitsminer Silver badge

Re: TVs and cars

A friend of mine use to have a medium size Chevrolet car.

Her driver-side seatbelt broke after a few years of use.

No replacements were available. They are left/right handed so moving passenger side would not work.

She had to junk the car else it would fail annual inspection.

She bought a Toyota to replace the Chev.

Moral of the story: it's not just electronics that count. It's the manufacturer.

WTF?

I find it hard to believe that a vehicle was arbitrarily scrapped like that, did nobody consider searching for parts available from a breakers.

My truck, despite its 15 years of age, still has common parts available new (OEM & aftermarket) & from breakers from across two or more different model names & brands.

1. Timop

This depends how well you can predict the future when making a buying decision. Some models have lot of spare parts after 20 years.

And some models require that you have room for storing 4 similar cars you have to first find somewhere. To have enough parts you can keep one of them running. Would be much cheaper just to scrap the thing.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

>did nobody consider searching for parts available from a breakers.

Life was so much easier back in the 80's, you visited a couple of local scrapyards, locate vehicles with the part you required, assessed vehicle condition and part for damage and wear and if happy remove and haggle over price (hoping you had sufficient cash in your wallet).

Now I have to look up the part(s) I want, to get the part number(s), then visit 'auction' sites to find parts that have already been removed from unspecified and unseen vehicles...

Not saying it isn't useful to be able to effectively visit every scrap yard in the country and get a price before you've committed, just that it isn't quite as straight-forward as some try and make out.

2. Screepy

"The car I have

each time it goes in for a service, it gets a software update"

My motorcycle gets over-the-air updates now.

My eye always twitches slightly when I turn the key and it says,

"Hi, there is a new firmware update, would you like to install it now or postpone?"

If I postpone it installs during the maintenance window you have to stipulate when setting up the bike in the app.

To be fair it has never bricked the bike but on occasion I've ridden off in the morning looking at a dash that is completely different to the way it looked yesterday.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

well, you paid for the illusion of convenience. You could have become an invovenient 'pirate' and run get_iplayer. So much more satisfaction to steal what I'm entitled to! :)

4. Roland6 Silver badge

>The car I was looking at,

needed an app on the phone to open car door / turn it on,

how long would that be supported

This is not quite as trivial as some would believe.

The app which would have been released when the car was launched, which we could reasonably expect to work on 'currently' shipping versions of iOS/Android. Support will be needed (over 20 years?) to both maintain that app so that it works on new releases of iOS/Android and that the updated version will continue to work on previous releases and that the iOS/Andriod stores continue to make available these older OS versions available for (new) download.

I can see many people deciding to use old phones for many of these smart devices, particularly where the device/vehicle is used by multiple people with the old handset effectively becoming a physical key..

5. BigAndos

The software on my sony tv is garbage - laggy, buggy and periodically gets stuck in a crash loop requiring a factory reset. I ended up buying a cheap amazon stick to plug in which works way better.

Too much tech on cars is annoying. I was looking at new cars and many of them now have a touchscreen interface with no physical control buttons for things like the A/C. Why would I want to faff with a touchscreen if I'm trying to change the temperature while on the the move? With a physical button I can easily learn exactly where it is and change it instantly without needed to look. I ended up buying an older car to stave off having to deal with this rubbish for a few more years.

26. Jean Le PHARMACIEN

Miéle...10yrs is faaarr to short

10 years

10 YEARS!

OK credit for 10 years (3x more than others) but Miéle need to think again.

Our last replaced washer and dryer were 23 and 24 years (still worked but were pushing it)

Current machines in UK are 1 and 2 yes old; those in France are errr.. 20+ (but only 10 wear/use wise)

The newest dishwasher is 'smart' but I cannot really say it adds anything to function (apart from telling me I need to buy powder/rinse aid on the way home)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Miéle...10yrs is faaarr to short

Appliances tend to come in two classes: the cheap ones, and the far more expensive ones.

Three guesses which class tends to just about makes it pas the warranty time..

1. Timop

This was 10+ years ago. When I bought last German made Bosch. Now you can purchase expensive Bosch stickers to appliances that use same parts across multiple brands.

1. ThatOne Silver badge
          Unhappy

Indeed, buying expensive, purportedly high-end brands isn't a warranty of longevity (or quality, actually) anymore.

The only thing you're sure of paying for is, well, a higher price.

And it's not always still the long established brand that has grown many years of trust. It's been sold multiple times, initially it might just be new owners of the entire operation and maybe watered down the quality a little but, eventually, it's just the bean counters selling off the brand name itself to some Chinese company making cheap tat and selling it on the back of the brand name.

I remember seeing Poloroid branded TVs and wonder if that is related the camera brand of old. the logo and packaging certainly reminded me strongly of the "real" brand, but the TVs were dirt cheap. Either Poloroid have sold out or there's a strong case for "brand stealing", ie using something similar in a different market to piggyback on an existing brand.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

>appliances that use same parts across multiple brands.

I'mm actually happy with my Siemens washing machine using many of the same parts as the cheaper Bosch and Neff branded machines from the same manufacturer, it means I get cheap parts combined with an easier to repair machine.

Aside: Generally the longer lasting machines are designed in a way that expects an engineer to have to replace parts, however, when the drum bearing needed replacing it was simpler and cheaper to replace the entire factory-assembled drum assembly than just replace the bearings.

27. Filippo Silver badge

The way I see it, if a product requires a cloud system to work, then I expect it to collect data from me, and to start losing features after a few years.

The producer will try to convince me this is not the case, which is expected. Unfortunately, absent any serious legislation on the topic, their assurances carry very little weight.

By itself, such an offer wouldn't be outrageous, and might even be acceptable, if it was priced accordingly.

Unfortunately, such products tend to be priced even more than corresponding disconnected products that don't slurp data and can be reasonably expected to work for 10+ years.

So, I don't particularly feel moral outrage, but I'm simply not buying. It's economics.

And the e-waste problem goes on top of that argument.

28. Lorribot

its the same with cars

Most warranties are in the 100,000 miles OR 5 years.

This will include software, so you should assume that a cars software will no longer be updated after 5 years. Again it may if the unit is still in production but given the development and the fact you often see old car service computers running windows XP or even 98 i doubt very much that car companies will see the need.

This is one of the things that really needs to change, cars now days last 20-30 years quite easily, if car companies do not want to support thing (especially security fixes) then they should release the source code and provide ways to update for home users.

It interesting that many of the early Apps did not have the ability to disconnect or wipe a user account so the previous user could actually control the car, even now it has become a convoluted route to get this done if you buy on the second-hand market.

Also note this applies to service items that are listed the lifetime of the car, (like gearbox oil), the lifetime is 100,000 miles not the actual lifetime the car is used.

Basically all car companies care nothing about their old cars, once you no longer use their network for servicing etc.

29. Stuart Castle Silver badge

Never understood the appeal of smart kitchen devices. Fair enough, your smart TV enables playback from other devices. Smart thermostats and lights can be controlled from elsewhere. Nothing earth shatteringly useful, but can be useful none the less. Smart kitchen devices are a different matter entirely. You have to be physically present to put stuff in or take stuff out of any oven, washing machine, tumble dryer or dishwasher. What's the point of app control? One major downside is it they introduce potential security issues. There is also the problem with any cloud based IoT device of what happens when the servers go down, whether through a deliberate choice of the company, or bankruptcy. Do you suddenly have a device that is essentially a very expensive (and heavy) doorstop?

OK, there are exceptions. It *could* be handy to start your washing machine when you are out of the house (depending on program length) so it's nearly ready when you get home, or you could start a slow cooker early so the food is ready for you to eat later. Or your fridge could track what you take out and order replacements. But the first two can be done with a bit of forethought and a timer.. The fridge is easier. Just look in it, see what's missing and order it. No need to spend hundreds on a new fridge with a screen, CPU and internet connection..

My fridge is a 10 year old Samsung one. Based on the age, it's probably going to fail sooner rather than later, but the only problem we've got at the moment is a couple of the attachments have broken, and we can't buy replacements. The fridge is perfectly usable apart from that. Can the same be said of an IoT fridge bought ten years ago, or have the servers it inevitably relies on been switched off?

1. the Jim bloke
      Windows

The history of IT and kitchens..

Never understood the appeal of smart kitchen devices

Wasnt the original response when asked what people would use home computers for..

"Well they could store recipes on them?"

Pint

Re: The history of IT and kitchens..

I have a smart switch that turns on a small crockpot when making stews/curries for one person, that is timed to come on about 6 hours before i leave work.

That's about as smart as I need in the kitchen (At any rate).

30. Ribfeast

My fridge and washing machine are LG, but they don't do anything useful except tell me that the load of washing is done, or the fridge door is open. I can't adjust the fridge temperature, I can see the set temperature but not the actual temperature inside the fridge. I can't start washing jobs remotely either, so kinda pointless.

Our Lifx light globe still seems to be supported after many years, but only gets switched on once in a blue moon for lighting effects out on the deck.

We have an Intel NUC as a HTPC connected to the projector, smart TVs aren't great after a period of time.

The BlackBean is used to send infrared signals to our split system aircon on the wall, to simulate the remote.

The main smart devices we use regularly are power switches, we have them for fans in the stables, barley boiler, electric farm kart charger timer, and the electric fence energizer, so I can turn the fence off remotely if I'm out in a paddock and need to fix the electric fence. It would be a bummer if these devices stopped working. On the to-do list is to set up a separate wifi SSID and segregated VLAN for these devices in case of compromise.

31. Tony W

It could just change

There are a few manufacturers that do things differently. My next outdoor jacket will be a Berghaus because when the zip pull went on my current one (bought about 4 - 5 years ago from a charity shop) they replaced it and returned the garment within 10 days, total cost to me the one-way postage. (And if I can't find my next one in a charity shop I might even buy new!) My next toaster might well be a Dualit because, though they won't repair free for ever, they do at least make spare parts available to the public. But I fear that for such companies, the benefit of good will might well be less than the cost of reduced repeat sales. So we do need the law to get up to date on what is a reasonable length of product life to demand as a right.

32. therobyouknow

Agree with many here. wish I was better at electronics, law, take on big guys, mini factories

If I was better at electronics, I would hack things to make them last longer. Repair things that went wrong. Much like Dave Murray 8 bit guy on YouTube restoration videos and others.

Wish I was better at law, because home grown gadgets and devices and hacked ones are technically feasible with the right skills (see above). But while there's a lot of skill and community support for the technical side, not so much for laws legislation that goes with such devices. We need to be masters of electronics and law.

Further to the above. I'd love to see mini factories making this stuff in every town and city. People producing the stuff, repairing,hacking making new things- as masters of electronics and law and any other discipline needed to make it happen.

Because right now, as the article suggests, and to echo many commentators on here, big corporations can suck with support, such a disappointing business model to get us to want to keep buying too soon.

33. darklord

Software is the least of problems

Built in obsolescence is rife and with the speed the tech evolves your new smart device will not only become a dead Smart device probaly 13 hours after the the warranty officially expires anyway hence why manufacturers dont want to spend endless time on updating software and apps for functionality that will simply die.

As for smart TV apps My old Sony bedroom TV was a first gen smart device and the apps built in for platforms which simply no longer exist is actually eyewatering. So much money wasted to include media delivery apps which simply dont exist now.

I am no Sky /Murdoch Fanboy but being a subscriber since 1997 at least it sort of works, Even if content is def getting Sketchy (i also use Netflix and Prime but only watch late evenings (as well as Paramount now as its free for Sky) but for how much longer i dont know as its getting very samey now.

Re: Software is the least of problems

"As for smart TV apps My old Sony bedroom TV was a first gen smart device and the apps built in for platforms which simply no longer exist is actually eyewatering."

Same applies to my LG BluRay Player. Although I did buy it second hand and the "smart app" things was nothing to do with my choice of device. It still plays BluRay discs which was the reason for the purchase and cost less than the still available at the time non-smart players :-)

34. trevorde Silver badge

Apple watch

Bet the people who bought the hyper expensive, "heirloom", 1st gen Apple watches are annoyed it wasn't supported after a few years.

35. Rol

I mentioned this on El Reg some years ago, that all the "smart" devices in your home should connect to a central security hub. Something that you have control over, which has its own long term support. it wouldn't matter how flaky the security is on the scattering of devices you have, as the central hub forces your local policy on it. It could also intercept the outgoing packets and strip any or all of the snooping data the devices are calling home with.

Trusting the slew of IoT manufacturers to get it right and keep the wheels from falling off, is not a great plan. Better you assume they are a pile of crap, security wise, and force them through something far more secure that you have control over.

Okay, yes. My plan has a rather huge flaw. The central security hub, that all IoT must chat through has not been developed, nor are the many manufacturers of fiddly things going to get onboard with it. They just might though, if said development then allowed them to drop the need for software security support and hand all that over to the developers of the central security hub for IoT.

1. Graham Cobb Silver badge

Interesting idea.

The problem, at the moment, is all the manufacturers have switched to secure (https) connections, so I can't even MITM them any more to control & limit them. But they aren't actually making them any more secure, more reliable or longer lasting! So we have the worst of both worlds at the moment.

Maybe some standardised hub would help. Until then I just have most of the devices on an SSID without internet access. But there are increasing number of either buggy or deliberately designed devices which don't work unless they can talk to the outside world! So, as things get replaced, they are increasingly having to be moved to the "talk to the outside world but not to anything else in the house" SSID.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

>all the "smart" devices in your home should connect to a central security hub. Something that you have control over, which has its own long term support.

That's consumer friendly, it would mean people could use devices from different manufacturers and thus avoid vendor lock-in etc.

If government(s) were to require this way of working, I expect we would see the IOT/smart industry getting together and hammering out Standards, just as we've seen in computer networking...

36. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

at least it does if you are daft enough

subjective assessment, though correct, me thinks. Generally. Because I can see there is 'some' benefit to updates, apparently some quirks and bugs are removed when you update firmware, and get new features. A good case would be... I dunno... updating Windows 10 to Windows 11 ?! ;)

37. Occupy Saturn

Software updates

Multiven sued Cisco for this very reason….to put an end to OEMs prematurely forcing hardware obscolescence and putting consumers at risk of cyberattacks by denying them access to security updates and bug fixes. If your “smart” gadget maker denies you software updates, cite this case as a precedent and they will promptly make it available.

Bottomline, if you are licensed to use a software forever, the OEM is legally bound to make updates available forever!

https://multiven.com/media/advocacy/files/Multiven,%20Inc.%20v.%20Cisco%20Systems,%20Inc.-dec2008.pdf

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like