back to article NASA overspent $15m on Oracle software because it was afraid an audit could cost more

NASA is rubbish at software asset management, has not implemented federal government guidance on how to address it, and as a result is spending too much on code it doesn't use – including $15 million on unused Oracle software alone, under a twelve-year-old license the space agency was afraid to examine. So says the aerospace …

1. Joe Gurman

Once upon a time

I worked for the four-letter-acronym agency, and much as I cursed the extra work associated with the SAM requirements, I thought the group responsible for SAM (part of the NASA Shared Services Center) was extremely customer-focused, perhaps because the NSSC is staffed mostly by contractor personnel. It would be a shame if their excellent customer service (bringing on new software under license when requirements for such are demonstrated, negotiating reasonable license terms, &c.) were sacrificed to concentrating solely on the big-ticket items cited in this report. I know they helped the projects I worked on and many others to control costs and remain compliant with Agency requirements.

1. Code For Broke

Re: Once upon a time

Can anyone help me understand for what reason NASA would have a big contract with both Oracle and SAP? I'm honestly curious.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If was anything like my momentary experience, it's because changing the database is way beyond the skills of their typical contractors. One developer was intentionally creating SQL injection vulnerabilities because, the dev claimed, parameterized SQL queries hadn't been reviewed for approval. It was a mind-blowingly lazy excuse, being that I was the reviewer.

1. Code For Broke

What is the difference between "parameterized SQL queries" and stored procedures?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

That you don't neeed DDL rights to crate and use a parametrized SQL query?

2. mathew42

You can build a parameterised query dynamically. For example adding clauses to the where statement.

3. John Geek
            Headmaster

two entirely different concepts. a parameterized query is like, SELECT stuff FROM somettable WHERE id=$1; and the value of $1 is passed with the query as a parameter.

a stored procedure is a subprogram that runs inside the database server, usually written in a PLSQL style language, which is SQL with IF and other control structures as well as variable assignments, etc. stored procedures can also be written in Java or other languages, depending on the database server.

2. Potemkine! Silver badge

What I understand from reading the IT press about Oracle is: never ever work with them or be screwed.

I guess I'm not the only one. Then I don't understand how it is possible Oracle still has customers?

1. Joe W Silver badge

Yes. That's it. You have to be extremely weary of any, even small, change. The Oracle licenses are cat-puke-clear (and even from a distance have a similarly obnoxious smell). And they are this way on purpose (most feel). Having an audit will cost much more than just overspending on the licenses, they will "eventually" (i.e. they knew all along but waited) discover the "anomalies", and then incur back payments.

I really am curious: without an actual audit, how did they discover they were overspending? Were the people involved intimately familiar with the way Oracle licenses work? Do they know that you (well, more or less, there's some rules, some restrictions) pay for every single CPU that could potentially be used (so for the full server farm your VM could be running on)? 15M$ is not that much, in terms of Oracle licenses.

(and remind me again, how much does a single F35 cost really?)

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
        Coat

IIRC, NASA doesn't have a single F35 on it's roster of flight vehicles.

1. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge
          Devil

They can deorbit a lot of junk to specific locations when needed...

2. sgp

The only organizations I know that use it are governments. Go figure.

3. Wade Burchette

I really believe that Oracle has a factory dedicated to punching puppies and kicking kittens. They are just that evil.

4. MyffyW Silver badge

I have worked in IT since the mid-90s and I can honestly say you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

I have steered several companies away from using Oracle product because of their ruinous business practices.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

In my opinion, if you lift the covers you'll find they learned quite a bit from Microsoft..

5. werdsmith Silver badge

They have customers because the incredibly high cost is usually something that is dealt with at upper levels of management where all the morons are. In many cases their software does not offer value to a business where the benefit of using it is worth its cost. I have managed to help people get Oracle instances moved to Postgre, with better results in terms of performance, TCO and supportability.

I will not have anything tainted by the red monster anywhere near me. No MySQL, no Java, and no Oracle DB. I accept that I am missing out on the one thing I would be interested in - VirtualBox, but that is the cost of descumming.

3. bregister
    Unhappy

As a nearly 40 year user of the database, its a good product, the rest of what that company does is not so great any more.

4. spireite Silver badge

Won't be the only ones.

I'm not singling Oracle out here, MS is just as bad - and there are others.

As the cloud - sorry ,rent a server - market has taken off, and the big DB vendors move the goal posts in search of revenue, it's meant the end-user/org has become utterly confused.

Take MS licensing! SQL has been by Server, CPU, then it became per core, then it became per vCPU and god knows what else has slipped my mind - DTUs etc.

Give me a metric I can equate.

The problem here is that you can be licensed this year, and then not, because the goalposts moved.

Tracking this stuff is a career, understanding it is pointless. You can't even get a sensible answer out MS or their agents.

I can understand why the mindset becomes overlicensing 'just in case'.

1. heyrick Silver badge

Re: Won't be the only ones.

Why is there no law stating that what was agreed is what is in effect unless both parties agree to (any) revised terms?

1. tyrfing

That would be because the license you "sign" (click-through) gives the software vendor the right to unilaterally change the terms on short notice. Your recourse is to stop using the software, never mind lock-in.

2. hoola Silver badge

Given that when you buy software or subscribe to use software, all you get is a guarantee that you have paid money to the vendor. All the legal waffle pretty much states that:

You have the right to use it

There is no guarantee it will do what you want

There is no guarantee it will work

You might be entitled to updates

For subscriptions, the service can be updated and changed at anytime

If it does break there is no liability on the part of the vendor

In fact the only guarantee you get is that whatever happens, you are screwed.

2. werdsmith Silver badge

If you agree to purchase a version of SQL Server then your licensing terms are the ones agreed at the time you purchase, they don't change next year if you are still using the same version. Nor do they change if you upgrade using Software Assurance.

You can still license Server+CAL or by core (in packs of 2 minimum 4) it hasn't really changed much recently except for the addition of pay as you go option.

5. Howard Sway Silver badge

NASA therefore spent $15 million on Oracle software it didn't use

Well, Oracle should graciously refund the money then. If they don't, then I'm sure the government could just by pure coincidence decide to subject Oracle and Mr Ellison to a forensic tax audit, as well as commencing some essential roadworks involving the digging of large holes just outside his Hawaiian home.

1. VicMortimer Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: NASA therefore spent $15 million on Oracle software it didn't use

They should be doing annual forensic tax audits anyway. If you've got that much money, you're definitely a crook, the only question is how much you stole and from where.

6. Richard Gray 1
    Devil

Learn guys...

Reminds me of of Good Omens..

“Along with the standard computer warranty agreement which said that if the machine 1) didn't work, 2) didn't do what the expensive advertisements said, 3) electrocuted the immediate neighborhood, 4) and in fact failed entirely to be inside the expensive box when you opened it, this was expressly, absolutely, implicitly and in no event the fault or responsibility of the manufacturer, that the purchaser should consider himself lucky to be allowed to give his money to the manufacturer, and that any attempt to treat what had just been paid for as the purchaser's own property would result in the attentions of serious men with menacing briefcases and very thin watches"

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Learn guys...

You missed off the next bit, which is just as applicable, as it's Oracle we're talking about:

"...Crowley had been extremely impressed with the warranties offered by the computer industry, and had in fact sent a bundle Below to the

department that drew up the Immortal Soul agreements, with a yellow memo form attached just saying: 'Learn, guys...'

Of course, the comparison is a little unfair. One is the blood-red-hued font of all evil and suffering in our lives, and the other is, um... Hell.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'How and why' Oracle licensing became so cumbersome and complex to manage?

Because it's Oracle and they make their money through onerous licensing terms rather than producing reasonable quality software.

Many years ago I was on the receiving end of a gazillion page Oracle audit where I wanted to know why they'd included a line re support for software that we didn't (and never had) used and that because it was out of support would have been impossible for us to raise a ticket against even were we to use it. Their answer was the veiled threat of "You need to be careful" - I told them to sling their hook and because we were relatively small fry they gave up.

Posted anonymously in the unlikely event that Oracle's lawyers are watching - they really are that nasty a company.

Black Helicopters

Re: 'How and why' Oracle licensing became so cumbersome and complex to manage?

Posted anonymously

Don't worry, you may have noticed that The Register banner is red, meaning that they belong to Oracle and they already have all your personal information...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 'How and why' Oracle licensing became so cumbersome and complex to manage?

Yeah, my first reaction to that line was "when was Oracle licensing ever *not* cumbersome and complex to manage?"

We're reducing our Oracle services after a failed project implementation. The best efforts of all of us in IT were not sufficient to work out which items on our quarterly bill were no longer needed.

8. Mike007 Bronze badge

What does this mean?

"Software downloaded with privileged access is not tracked for license compliance and life-cycle management, and NASA does not have a consistent, Agency-wide process for limiting privileged access or using "least privilege" permissions, which gives users only the software permissions necessary for their job."

what is "privileged access" in the context of downloading software? Regular users have Administrator access on their workstations...?

1. Tom Chiverton 1

Re: What does this mean?

Sounds like it

2. An_Old_Dog Silver badge

Consistent Processes

NASA does not have a consistent, Agency-wide process for ...

NASA might not have a single, aka "consistent", process for monitoring these things, but that doesn't mean they don't have processes for monitoring these things. Multiple, differing processes implies political divisions, each doing things "their way". The relevant question is whether or not these multiple, differing processes work well enough for NASA to know with certainty whether or not they're in license compliance.

Executive(s) said, "No" to the above question, but executive decisions are not necessarily logic-based.

9. TVU Silver badge

"The auditor estimates NASA "could have saved approximately $35 million over the past five years in fines and overpayments ($20 million in penalties plus $15 million in Oracle overspend)""

^ The moral of that tale is to avoid at all costs having any commercial ties with Larry and Oracle not least because you will be subject at some stage to the dreaded customer compliance audit which will never, ever be in your favour.

10. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Unhappy

Wow!

If even the rocket scientists can't figure out the licensing agreements, what hope for the rest of us?

Angel

Re: Wow!

As said as the end of the article, this is not rocket science...

2. Updraft102

Re: Wow!

The rest of us should take advice from Joshua.

"A strange game.

The only winning move is not to play."

11. trevorde Silver badge

Oracle

"It always costs more" (TM)

12. Sparkus

It's a legit concern....

One of my clients is in the latter half of an 'exit-oracle' program. Everything and anything that is Oracle or Sun is on the way out.

Database, servers, orphaned ERPs, Tape, weblogic, JVMs, etc, etc. There are even program threads that is looking at embedded web code to verify that they're not using any sneaky oracle micro-components or even programming practices.

As others have noticed, one pushback is the need to stop using VirtualBox. That is going to be a problem as the reality of VMWares future becomes cloudy and 'scary'.

A MAJOR part of the program is obfuscating the goals and progress from Oracle. We are absolutely convinced that as soon as Oracle figures it out, they'll try to drop a massive software audit.

1. An_Old_Dog Silver badge

Oracle VirtualBox Alternative: Qemu

As an alternative to VirtualBox and VMware, look at Qemu. If your users need a GUI-fied Qemu front end, there are freeware third-party packages which provide that.

2. sten2012

Re: It's a legit concern....

How are you using it? On end user devices or say on virtualisation servers?

To be totally honest since oracle has taken over it feels to me like vbox development has slowed to an absolute crawl. I used to be a huge advocate for it but my experience has only been going downhill.

It used to be that or vmware. Now there are loads of what were newcomers that are just as capable for 80-100% of use cases. KVM or Qemu on Linux. Hyperv (if you don't need h/w passthrough) on Windows (80%).

And I don't really see local user virtualisation going cloudy for vmware (a la workstation), just it becoming tighter integrated with, say, hyper-v on Windows and less focus on their own virt while vsphere stuff is looking less certain.

But I'm honestly clueless though so don't listen to me!

I'm sure I'm missing loads (xen still a thing?)

Between that and the uptick in containers taking on some workloads.. It wouldn't take much convincing for me these days, once their biggest fan, let's put it that way.

13. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like