back to article Hong Kong ups its SEO game to stop Google playing a protest song as its national anthem

After several failed attempts to get Google to stop referring people to a protest song when they search for Hong Kong's national anthem, the Special Administrative Region of China has decided to take measures into its own hands by improving its search engine optimization. The song that appears as the top response to Google …

1. PhilipN Silver badge

"considered part of China"

You know what the "SAR' part of "Hong Kong SAR" stands for?

1. tekHedd

Re: "considered part of China"

Because searching is exhausting, here's a nice definition I found by searching for detail on "Special Administrative Region":

"An SAR is a relatively autonomous regions within the People's Republic of China that maintain separate legal, administrative, and judicial systems from the rest of the country."

Clearly China has decided to deprecate the "SAR" part of this arrangement. Just as they've deprecated the "Taiwan is a separate country" arrangement and the "Chinese law does not apply in other countries" arrangement. This behavior does not exactly build confidence in the stability of...other arrangements.

1. gandalfcn Silver badge

Re: "considered part of China"

Because searching is exhausting, here's a nice definition I found "relatively

adverb

UK /ˈrelətɪvli/ US

in comparison with other similar things or with what you expect"

You were saying. gweilo?

2. Helstrom
    Facepalm

".. but also mislead the local and overseas netizens, ..."

I'm not sure what it says about the local education system if a Google search can mislead local citizens about what the national anthem is...

1. mark l 2 Silver badge

Re: ".. but also mislead the local and overseas netizens, ..."

I wouldn't be suprised if a lot of people in the UK think our national anthem is Rule Britannia or Land of hope and Glory, rather than god save the king/queen

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

gender fluid monarch?

1. DryBones

That sounds like the opening of a piss-take, sending the new apprentice out to get a bottle of gender fluid.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Lucas Gender Fluid

*shudders*

2. gandalfcn Silver badge

Land of Soapy Water,

Mother of BP/

when I was at skool

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like