back to article What goes up must come down: Logitech sales tumble amid PC slump

With PC makers cutting prices to spur demand and reduce inventory holdings in the channel, peripherals maker Logitech is facing its own share of commercial problems. The company did well during the pandemic yet is now feeling the strain in a world that has had its fill of new computers, related gadgets and components. Today …

1. Wolfclaw

Stop selling overprices rubbish that has no durability.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

If Wolfclaw wants to launch his own line of gaming peripherals, he's already got an ideal brand name for it!

2. Youngone Silver badge

Logitech stuff is really good in my experience.

1. jemmyww

Except their software. I really like my Logitech keyboard and mouse but I cannot access some functionality because the software is so awful.

It doesn't have to look fancy, which appears to be the only feature they've put effort into. What it should be is fast, efficient and 1 application rather than 3.

2. -tim

I have 3 M570 trackballs on my work bench that are disassembled as I tried to find out why they don't work properly anymore. The mechanical switches still work yet they behave oddly. One won't trigger the edge detection on the mac. Another has an odd issue with the right button. My next guess is to reflash the processor to see if that helps.

They dropped the wired versions so now they all need batteries and a wireless dongle. It isn't like a cable on a trackball is a problem.

3. Shippwreck1

Except that my top of the range (at the time of purchase) K800 keyboard lost a key about a year ago and when I called them they "can't" sell me a new key and the MX Master 2S top of the range mouse (again at the time of purchase) has a WELL KNOWN fault in it where the thumb pad/button gets stuck causing it to fail. Also the portable wireless mice that my company used to provide also have a WELL KNOWN fault where the main buttons fail. In both instances for the mice there are plenty of You Tube videos showing how to fix both issues, therefore it is a very well known issue with the manufacturing of the mice themselves... but get Logitech to admit that... oh no no no...

I have only ever owned 3 Logitech peripherals and as listed above, all have issues... wont be buying from them again!

3. Someone Else Silver badge

Or...stop discontinuing well-made products that people like and replacing them with a product that is just "different" (because some ADHD-addled Millennial marketing "genius" seems to think that this is "k3wler).

2. Rattus
    FAIL

This is not news

Following a glut of sales as a result of extraordinary conditions (i.e. working from home / COVID) where IT suppliers and manufacturers were able to sell a lot more kit than usual, it is not surprising that sales the following couple of years are lower.

If they were up then that would be worth reporting....

Come on elReg you can do better than this. Please stop reporting the obvious (this is not the first time I have posted this sort of comment)

/Rattus

1. nintendoeats

Re: This is not news

"Things are actually progressing as expected" is news. We are converting a prediction to an observed fact. That's important.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>Come on elReg you can do better than this. Please stop reporting the obvious (this is not the first time I have posted this sort of comment)

Come on Rattus you can do better than this. Please stop repeating yourself.

1. Rattus
        Pint

+1 have a pint ---->

3. man_iii

Forced market dump

If Logitech made their products backward compatible like they always used to maybe existing customers will boost sales.... Or you lose the existing base as well.

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Forced market dump

I quite like their hardware & having salvaged many a Logitech wireless mouse & keyboards from disposal routes & resellers, having easily found working software to quickly pair them to dongles (UNR & older ones) from their website has been a real godsend.

1. joed

Re: Forced market dump

Untill you stumbled onto a non-unify set. All i needed was fairly cheap replacement keyboard. Picked one on sale but little did I know, logitech decided to ship something totally incompatible, not a warning on the box (preferably in big red letters). Now I'm stuck with this crap and i do not really feel like switching 2 receivers between work and personal device. And pricing of their other reasonable kit (mouse with forward/back buttons) seems to have gotten out of hands. It's not like everyone was some hipster keyboard connoisseur. If I have to replace the whole set, i may get some competitively priced but still half decent generic.

4. Youngone Silver badge

Cutting?

PC makers are definitely not cutting prices where I live. In fact they're still going up.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Cutting?

I suspect OEMs are cutting prices to major buyers. Retailers not so much.

5. NotJustAStorageDude

Terrible software means I’ll skip logi (tech) next time

I like my g810 keyboard, my 915 keyboard, and my mx something or other mouse. The “gaming” software is terrible and I don’t bother installing it anymore which kinda bastardises the kit. The “pro desktop” software isn’t much better. Good-ish kit ruined by terrible software :/

6. Mike Lewis

Logitech quality was good but has declined

Old K120 keyboard: used for many years with no problems.

New K120 keyboard: letters wearing off keys after only one year.

7. GraXXoR

Cutting prices?

Looks like Reg is cutting something… into their tobacco.

Prices for anything remotely desirable are through the roof where I live and there is no sign they are coming back down to earth.

Graphics cards, motherboards, hell, even just cooling fans are stupid price right now.

8. ChrisB 2
    Flame

Well, this doesn't disappoint me because

A) I'm not a shareholder

but, more importantly,

B) They discontinued their Harmony remotes and I'm bitter about that

9. Binraider Silver badge

Product quality. Or the lack thereof is a thing.

I have a decade old optical mouse of theirs that works well. It’s a bit battered, and even tried swapping it for new at one point. The new one didn’t last 30 seconds before complete failure.

1. the spectacularly refined chap

The problem I've noticed of late is the product range. A lot of it seems to be be gaming crap. Logitech used to be a reliable source if you wanted simple, basic but quality, refined kit. Now the keyboards all seem to have a million extra "multimedia" keys that are of approximately zero practical use. Mice with dozens of buttons which potentially may have some use only some sotware would used them for something useful (no, forward and back in the web browser only doesn't count).

Then there are obvious gaps in the range: I have to reluctantly concede it isn't just Logitech that have given up on three button mice without the cursed scroll wheel, but I was surprised last month they couldn't sell me a no-nonsense Bluetooth mouse. They had gamers options for £50 a pop, although I can't see the gamers settling for Bluetooth, also a few options seemingly thinner than a sheet of paper for no discernable reason, but a simple, usable, workaday mouse? Not in sight.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like