back to article OneDrive back on its feet, but ongoing Skype credit problem hasn't gone away

An issue with payments and credits for Skype subscribers remains ongoing, days after The Register was first informed by readers that it was broken. It wasn't the only breaking change for Microsofties in the New Year, after the team on Monday rolled back a "recently enabled" tweak "within a specific app responsible for …

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Skype seems to have generally gone downhill since MS got it. I wish they'd just stop messing with it: it was fine ten years ago. Now it's somehow not.

1. DJV Silver badge

cf

cf. almost anything that Microsoft has ever touched (though, credit where credit's due - my MS Internet Pro keyboard is still going strong after about 23 years and only one new set of keycaps, and the current PowerToys is a useful utility - anything else though... meh!)

1. An_Old_Dog Silver badge

Re: cf

NTFS is good and solid. RDP is great -- it is the best-performing remote display protocol yet.

Caveat: I don't work for MS, nor own stock in MS, nor run Windows on my computers.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The best performing remote display protocol is HDX/ICA. Still way ahead of RDP and gets better with each release.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

but then you'd have to use citrix, so why bother thats just more shit that costs $$$$$

2. Blackjack Silver badge

Microsoft is currently doing quite well at video games that's the only reason I keep a Laptop with Windows on it.

2. An_Old_Dog Silver badge

Skype going downhill

The first thing MS did after acquiring Skype was change it from using a peer-to-peer protocol to using a centralized protocol where everything is funnelled through MS' servers for data-snooping purposes.

Then MS began adding cute. useless features while failing to maintain basic functionality. (Regression testing, anyone? Anyone? I guess the MS interns assigned to Skype aren't being given wise, adult supervision.)

Last weekend, some friends and I (one Windows desktop, one Mac laptop, one Linux laptop) tried conferencing by Skype and could not get fully-connected. We gave up and used Discord, which worked just fine.

3. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

It was going into the crapper before that. I tried to make a call from a foreign country because that's exactly what people used Skype for. Skype locked my account "for security" and wouldn't unlock it until I gave them my original credit card number. That was an old card I no longer had. I said if Skype wanted to keep my money so !@#$ safe, they need to close the account and send a check to the address in the account.

I think Microsoft unlocked the account but the Skype client was hopeless at that point.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"I feel like I'm having an aneurysm with OneDrive being down"

No, you had your aneurysm when you chose to use One Drive.

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Re: "I feel like I'm having an aneurysm with OneDrive being down"

OneDrive, like any cloud-storage provider, isn't the problem. The problem is setting up anything in a such way that it assumes the cloud will always be there when you need it. For me, it's just an (additional) off-site backup: if it goes down, I just keep working from local storage until the problem is resolved.

1. DJV Silver badge

Oh absolutely! Also, other online storage options are available and it's possible to have more than one running at a time.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Absolutely! "Cloud" has been and is being marketed as "always on, always accessible, redundant", but much of it isn't unless you pay extra.

1. HereIAmJH

Paying extra isn't a guarantee. Being a large percentage of a cloud provider's income is your guarantee. You have to be big enough to cause pain when you are unhappy with the service provided. And if you are that big, why are you not hosting your own cloud and keeping the profit?

3. deltics2

"OneDrive, like any cloud-storage provider, isn't the problem"

Um, except when it *is*. In the early days of Windows 10, the OneDrive client had a particularly irksome bug where the OneDrive client for reasons that were unclear and never fully explained took it upon itself to delete swathes of files from the cloud rather than initially sync'ing them to a newly upgraded/installed WIndows 10 machine.

3. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
    Unhappy

Is it me or are MS' cloud services starting to fall apart at the seams? Or are they just breaking services on purpose, in the hope people will stop using them? Either way, it's not a good look for a company that wants to be considered a "safe pair of hands".

1. Captain Scarlet
      Coat

This is what happens when development is pushed and there is a lack of testing.

2. Pirate Dave Silver badge

I'm still wondering if the various outages are related to MS being too trigger-happy at disabling Basic Auth across their empire. As I understand it, they had set a deadline of November at which time they were definitely, absolutely going to start disabling it in Office365. (unless you went through some silly wizard and requested they turn it back on temporarily). That's roughly the same time frame in which these mystery outages started happening. Could just be a coincidence of timing with bad code updates, or could be they're unknowingly torching their services from within in their glittery-eyed zeal to make life suck a little more for us admins.

4. Alumoi Silver badge

Repeat after me:

cloud = someone else's computer, or no internet = no cloud.

1. EnviableOne

Re: Repeat after me:

the name Cloud is far too clean for what it is. It invokes pictures of white castles in the sky unassailable by mere mortals

when the truth is closer to

Dodgy Dave's lockup down the road with security cameras that worked at some point, the fire exit propped open for ventilation and some bloke saying your data will be safe if you pay them $ExhorbitantAmount, making it apparent if you don't it definitely won't be.

I prefer the acronym OPT (other peoples tin)

1. khjohansen
        Coat

For me *Cloud*==VapourWare ...

2. Captain Scarlet

To me:

Cloud = Marketing, just a posh way for saying Virtual Servers with some form of failover

AI = Marketing, just a posh way of saying Algorithm

Nice Biscuits = Not dunkable in tea

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OneDrive

... and in the Darkness bind them.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Our corp's migrating from Samba servers to OneDrive

The fools.

7. fidodogbreath

One user complained that when his "subscription ... wasn't listed at my Purchase history... I couldn't make Christmas calls to my family."

Umm...phone? Zoom? WebEx? Teams? WhatsApp? FaceTime? Signal? Slack? Telegram? etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

With some of my family - carrier pigeon!

1. DJV Silver badge

Re: carrier pigeon

With part of the message taped to its leg reading: "Please don't eat the pigeon!"

1. David 132 Silver badge
          Thumb Up

Re: carrier pigeon

Speckled Jim! Noooo!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"international roaming is a lot more affordable"

Depends on where you are and where your are calling to. From some countries Vodafone would like to charge me two or three euros per minute. If you need to call someone for whom you can't use some kind of app the ability of Skype of being able to call plain telephone numbers is very useful.

1. Tim 11

Re: "international roaming is a lot more affordable"

yup - the only time I use skype now is to make outgoing international calls to actual phone numbers - AFAIK there's no way to do that with WhatsApp, Facebook, teams etc.

1. plunet

Re: "international roaming is a lot more affordable"

Teams can absolutely make phone calls but maybe not at a sensible cost for the occasional outbound phone call.

9. plunet

"The Skype for Business product – once used by such venerables as particle accelerator boffins at CERN, which swapped it with softphone client CERNphone in June – was replaced by Teams in 2019 and reached end-of-life last year."

Errr, the author has conflated SfB with SfB Online.

SfB Online was retired back in 2019 in favour of Teams. But SfB as an onprem or hosted solution is still very much a thing and supported by M$.

10. ecofeco Silver badge

Skype?

People are still that piece of trash, Skype? WTH?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Skype?

Aw, c'mon, it's quite the worthy upgrade from AIM or YM.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Skype problems continue

Yesterday I spent 40 minutes on the chat with Microsoft support. They provided me the link to (re) activate Skype since it was no longer linked to my Office365 subscription. It DIDN'T work on ANY browser--multiple redirects and then stopped. It didn't work on Chrome, Safari on Mac or iPad. It only worked when i tried it on my mobile! In the end, Microsoft gave me a $2 credit!!

Given that this was a known problem, they could have instantly refunded me the call charges in December/January since they have access to call records. they could have given an automatic credit to everyone who made calls during the time period. It would have been much cheaper than tying up customer support and wasting the time of customers. It also would have built huge amount of goodwill.

A big missed opportunity all within its control!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Skype problems continue

or you could have saved yourself all that hassle by avoiding cloud based shit office subscriptions and anything to do with M$

12. sitta_europea Silver badge

If I had any shares in Microsoft, right about now I'd be selling them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like