back to article Google juices in-photo ads biz

Google has invested in a Silicon Valley startup that plants ads inside online photos. And The Reg can't help but wonder when the company will begin slipping virtual marketing into the very real cityscapes of Google Street View. On Wednesday, a company calling itself Pixazza unveiled a new online-ad extravaganza that serves up …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Err...

"...we have no doubt that Google will one day tuck pay-per-click ads into Street View, further blurring the line between the real and the virtual."

Take a look at Street View and tell me what, exactly, you'd tag with ads (aside from cars, maybe). You're not going to be getting juicy views of Jimmy Choo boots, I can tell you that - so, aside from restaurant menus and dumpsters, what is there to label? This tech might be interesting in certain scenarios, but I can't imagine Street View being one of them.

It'd be interesting to see metrics about how many views a given section of road gets on average, though - and how well that correlates to real-world foot traffic. I'm guessing the "chocolate factory" (Oh, how clever you are, Cade - do remind us again the next time you write an article) will keep fairly tight wraps on that information...

2. Gareth

Not all pics, shirley?

Hmm... Why, yes. I *would* like to buy a cup..!

3. Darren B
    Flame

Great

Yet more shit hover over crap to pop up on my screen as I am scrolling down a page using my wheel.

I can see this tech heading into things like Picassa Online Album and assigning sales ads to people personal pictures.

i.e. Look at picture of friend in Armani Jeans, hover over jeans and get ads for £2.99 jeans from Tesco.

4. nicholas22
    Dead Vulture

Crap

The more you support Google with your custom the more it will bombard you with junk you don't need and subconciously push you to buy buy buy.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time for that Hicks quote again...

By the way if anyone here is in advertising or marketing... kill yourself.

No, no, no it's just a little thought. I'm just trying to plant seeds. Maybe one day, they'll take root - I don't know. You try, you do what you can. Kill yourself.

Seriously though, if you are, do.

Aaah, no really, there's no rationalisation for what you do and you are Satan's little helpers. Okay - kill yourself - seriously. You are the ruiner of all things good, seriously. No this is not a joke, you're going, "there's going to be a joke coming," there's no fucking joke coming. You are Satan's spawn filling the world with bile and garbage. You are fucked and you are fucking us. Kill yourself. It's the only way to save your fucking soul, kill yourself.

Planting seeds. I know all the marketing people are going, "he's doing a joke..." there's no joke here whatsoever. Suck a tail-pipe, fucking hang yourself, borrow a gun from a Yank friend - I don't care how you do it. Rid the world of your evil fucking makinations. Machi... Whatever, you know what I mean.

6. adnim

@ Dave W:What is there to label on street view?

Buildings.

Some buildings are shops/stores and sell product.

Some buildings are manufacturers and make product.

Some buildings are venues and show product.

Some buildings are resturants, coffee shops and also sell product.

So the scope for advertising on street view is rather large.

But don't fret I am sure all the ad data they want to inject into your browsing session can be blocked.

And yes we need something show our appreciation of advertisers and marketeers. Now seeing that the Golgafrincham B-Ark was fiction are there any other suggestions? After all they have insufficient respect for others to cause them enough guilt to kill themselves.

7. Dale

Streetview ads

Unusually, I don't like adverts. I flip channels when they come on live TV (hence a developing seven minute attention span) or skip them on the PVR. I block them in Firefox, ignore those that get past the block, and scroll or resize the window to hide the big flashy animated ones that are hard to ignore.

That said, I think having ads on Google Streetview would be a great idea if they were implemented nicely. By that I mean find a business in Streetview, click on its door and up comes its website. Not in a stupid little popup window, a proper new browser window. No funny little tags or icons or pins sticking out of the image, just click on the door (or some other sensible part of the image).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like