back to article Elon Musk starts poll with one question: Should I step down as head of Twitter?

Elon Musk may be about to fire himself as CEO of Twitter. The social media magnate – who has side hustles in rocketry, tunnelling, a diversified automotive and energy operation, flame throwers, and tequila – took to Twitter over the weekend with the following pledge: Going forward, there will be a vote for major policy …

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Confused.com

I'm really torn as to which way to vote:

If I vote "Remain", I'll enjoy watching Elon being as crazy as ever, seeTwitter go down and laugh at Elon and his accomplices for having wasted $44bn.

If I vote "Leave", there's a chance that Twitter might survive. (Yeah, I know it's full of twits, but there are small corners of sanity in there)

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Re: Confused.com

I should add, that I don't support the bullying, coersion and shit working conditions Elon's imposed on the remaining workers.

2. DS999 Silver badge

It doesn't matter, there is no world in which Musk doesn't rig the vote if it doesn't go his way. The shitshow will continue unabated.

1. lglethal Silver badge
        Trollface

Whaddayaknow, those Bots come in handy after all...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Why would you need bots when you can simply create fake votes

1. Trotts36

What I mean is the previous votes he’s run I suspected were simply a way to catch bot accounts who were being tasked to vote by the farmers running them.

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

more likely they were a way for Musk to get himself out of the latest hole he's dug himself by pretending to heed to the wishes of the users.

Vote goes his way -"vox populi,the people have spoken"

Goes against - "thank you for letting me know your views" then comes up with alternate bollocks to justify whatever he was going to do anyway

1. Jedit Silver badge
                FAIL

Already done on your last point. In response to a suggestion - because he's not smart enough to come up with it himself, apparently - Musk has said that henceforth voting on Twitter policy polls will be restricted to blue ticks. As someone else noted:he's established an apartheid government on Twitter.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

But what has Elon got to do with future votes? He's presumably stepping down as boss, he said he would abide by the vote? Surely it's up to his successor?

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Stepping down just as soon as he takes care of this one thing. And this other thing. OK, after he takes care of these two things. Wait, and this one also.

No one expects the Muskish Resignation.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

>...you can simply create fake votes.

American Democracy in action!

2. Evil Auditor Silver badge
        Joke

As it stands now, it's 61% for Musk to step down with 9'052'134'921 votes cast.

1. lglethal Silver badge
          Trollface

I'm reminded of the Futurama Election Episode.

"It's been a long day of voting Morbo, but the Human voting is closed at last. And now it's time for the robot vote. (2 seconds later) And the Robot Vote is closed. And the Winner is Elon!"...

(I'm paraphrasing slightly)...

2. Bebu Silver badge

Make that 9,052,134,922 ;) .... not that I even know how do twitter stuff - got off that roundabout with ytalk.

3. NoneSuch Silver badge
        Joke

I'm waiting for:

Elon Musk, self-proclaimed God Emperor of Mars, is presumed to have died today while landing near the SpaceX outpost at Valles Marineris. Initial information is incomplete, but a fragmented radio message of His Muskiness was received as he took control of the landing craft on descent. He was reported to have said, "The first person to tell me I need to use landing thrusters is fired." The impact speed was calculated to have been over four thousand feet per second.

1. Bebu Silver badge

self-proclaimed God Emperor of Mars a reference to Ming the Merciless tyrant of Mongo? I remember from the early 70s TV a serial with Flash and co. travel to Mars where they again encounter Ming. The b&w serial would have been made in the 30s or 40s for the cinema - I mostly recall the explosively flatulant spacecraft.

3. chivo243 Silver badge
      Meh

Or as mentioned in the column, Mastertwittier says he'll step down if voted so, but when? After I'm long gone and pushing up daisies?

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge
        Joke

reminds me of :

"You may choose the method of your execution!"

"Old age please"

1. DS999 Silver badge

If you have to stay in prison awaiting your "execution" that wouldn't be much of a win.

1. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

A win is a win.

2. Snapper
            Joke

But if there is a new Great Leader he might pardon you.

And if you were dead you might be very, very sorry about that.....

2. staringatclouds

Snu snu

1. very angry man

Snu Snu

are yes i remeber it well,.... i think... whats thars.....blast

4. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

The biggest advantage of Musk running Twitter into the ground is that it makes him too busy to do more damage to SpaceX and Tesla.

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

The biggest advantage of Musk running Twitter into the ground is that it makes him too busy to do more damage to SpaceX and Tesla.

That's the problem with Musk. Great ambition, great showmanship, but often a failure to deliver. Tesla's investors seem to be getting a bit nervous about the antics, and Tesla's share price. Plus they've finally 'delivered' the CyberSemi, but haven't delivered some fundamental metrics. Like how much it can haul. Thunderf00t's done another video questioning some of the benefits. Initial presentations claimed significant cost savings over diesel semis, but reality has intervened and due to higher electricity prices, the economics don't look great.

But Musk is spreading himself too thin with all his ventures. Don't forget he has other companies, like Neuralink, currently under investigation for animal welfare concerns. This poll is also a bit of showmanship. When he was buying Twitter, he said he'd appoint a CEO, so stepping down isn't exactly news, and he must have had candidates in mind for the position. I'm guessing someone's accepted, so now he can get some PR for 'listening to the will of the people'.

Or just analyse the voting patterns and maybe stomp on some more bots.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Musk. Great ambition, great showmanship, but often a failure to deliver.

IMHO, he looked at Trump and thought... Yep, I like that.

So he has become a grifter or as my ma used to say, 'all mouth and no trousers and keep a firm grip on your purse'.

I think that he should step down from being CEO of Tesla. The Tesla stock is in the shit hole. If he resigns then it will start to recover and he'll have enough money to buy GM... The Tesla cultists are already talking about it.

The only saving grace for the USA, is that Trump Mk 2.1 (Ron Desanctimonious is Mr 2.0) is that Lord Elon of Skum can't become POTUS.

1. Drew Scriver

Downvoted due to apparent inability to use people's proper names. It has been my experience it is not really possible to have an intelligent discussion once names are replaced like this.

That applies equally to people on the right (e.g. those who cannot bring themselves to say "Al Gore" and instead use a last name that rhymes) or people on the left who think it's cute to to describe players they disagree with in this manner.

1. Elongated Muskrat Silver badge

I think the key is in the tone. If you can't discern that, then you may have to work on your reading comprehension and critical analysis skills.

Whilst I agree that name-calling doesn't add anything to your argument, sometimes it can be used to comedic effect. Whether it's actually funny or not is another matter, and one that is largely down to personal tastes. It's really not worth griping about though.

2. veti Silver badge

Considering the post you're replying to only replaced one name, this complaint seems misplaced.

I don't know why Trump coined "Desanctimonious" for Ron DeSantis, it seems to me a very meh soubriquet compared with the good stuff he came up with in 2016. I don't even know what specific character trait he's trying to get at. But I'm glad he's still trying, and I hope Biden's justice dept has the sense not to charge Trump with any major crimes until the Republican primaries are well under way. (Because I don't think the R's are stupid enough to rally behind that loser again, but criminal prosecution by the Biden administration is the one thing that might rally his support.)

2. Sam 15

"But Musk is spreading himself too thin with all his ventures."

If he's having some difficulty with that, I'm sure someone with an old-fashioned (non-electric) steam roller could help.

"Back up and do it again."

3. Mister Dubious
          FAIL

"That's the problem with Musk. Great ambition, great showmanship, but often a failure to deliver. "

My favorite example of the above is his demonstration of the armored glass windows on the Tesla truck prototype: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udxR5rBq_Vg

My favorite example of the above is his demonstration of the armored glass windows on the Tesla truck prototype:

Yup. Reality frequently doesn't live up to Musk's expectations, yet much of the media still thought he's a genius and happily provided a lot of free PR. Meanwhile, anyone with some basic science and engineering knowledge could see the flaws in many of his proposals. So Hypeloop trains floating on a cushion of air. In a vacuum. Or just creating, maintaining and loading victims into a vacuum tube. Or the Semi's with their 'FSD', available now. Or the bullet proof glass. Or even the fancy curved glass on the semis that looks like it'll be very expensive to replace when it inevitably gets cracked.

Or maybe just not understanding the market. I watched a few vids showing a day in the life of owner/operator truckers. Musk reckoned drivers would be able to recharge their vehicles at drop-off points. This assumes those drop-off points will be willing to invest in 'Megachargers'. Or from those vids, truckers are expected to be at their destinations within very specific time windows, else get penalised. Or drop off the trailers, get off-site, then come back when the client's unloaded. I guess a customer like Pepsi is big enough to invest in MW charging at their own facilities, but I somehow doubt their distributors or supermarket customers would be as willing to invest the time and space to give EV truckers free parking and charging.

Plus there was an interesting analyst's comment that the Semi might be ok to haul lightweight/high volume products like potato chips, but not denser stuff like soft drinks. But that seems to be one of the huge inflationary drivers. Given the high cost, and probably over-regulation of haulage, the cost of shipping stuff like bog roll is getting ever more expensive as the transport cost represents an ever increasing percentage of the product's price. Which is probably why Telsa's being very secretive about price/performance data like range, capacity so haulers can calculate true cost per ton/mile.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

As documented much better elsewhere than I ever could, Tesla is "successful" because of lavish government handouts. SpaceX is successful because of Gwynne Shotwell. Despite his babbling, I doubt the chief Twat has ever made a significant technical contribution to either.

Truly the Boris Johnson of the tech world.

1. Bebu Silver badge

Truly the Boris Johnson of the tech world.

Or a reincarnation of Bergholt Stuttley Johnson of whom the late UK PM is a faint shadow. https://wiki.lspace.org/Bergholt_Stuttley_Johnson

"famous the Disc over for a single-minded approach to his crafts that can best be described as 'demented'."

(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Discworld_characters#Bloody_Stupid_Johnson)

3. DrXym

Tesla is suffering enormous reputational harm too. Investors are clearly worried that Elon being a colossal douchebag might have some impact on vehicle sales.

1. John H Woods Silver badge

Went to a Tesla showroom recently, the salesfolk said he was "a bit of a mixed blessing" which is British English for an outright liability.

5. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

I can't vote, I'm on a little Twitter holiday at the moment,... I don't think it was for my joke about Andrew Tate (I said I'd like to punch him on the chin, but he doesn't have one), I think it was simply referring to Elon as a shithead.

6. Dan 55 Silver badge

Why brother to vote when he's a documented compulsive liar, starting from the earliest lie about his science degree.

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

a URL leading to twitter? urrrrgh

I'm interested to know if he lied about a science degree but I'm not going to that shithouse to find out .

... having googled it there seems to be some question over the physics half of his degree ,

according to some twatterer called "Capitolhunter"

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

You can try Nitter instead but it is threaded differently and you may have to use settings cog > Hide tweet replies.

7. hoola Silver badge

What is surprising is that based on that screenshot, so many account actually vote "Remain".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They're the ones who want Musk to fail and take Twitter with him.

I'm with them.

Vote Remain!

8. Smeagolberg

"Twitter might survive. (Yeah, I know it's full of twits, but there are small corners of sanity in there)".

If I search through the discarded tons at the local recycling centre there might be small corners of healthy food in there. I'll give it a miss... similar success rate.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. DrXym

Assuming he even honours the poll, it's possible Elon "leaves" but he still owns Twitter and is still the toxic corrosive dick he always was. i.e. the CEO is basically a puppet. In which case Twitter nose dives into the ground in any case.

11. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

If I vote "Remain"

If I vote "Leave",

I'm a swing voter. I settled for Romaine Leaves with my salad :-)

2. lglethal Silver badge
    Facepalm

This feels like Musk's attempt at a "Get out of Jail free" card.

He appoints someone else to lead the company, and when it inevitably fails (probably due to Musk's interfering), he can point to the new CEO and say "See it didnt fail under my watch, it would have survived if I'd stayed on, but people didnt want me to stay...".

He's bitten off way more than he can chew, is realising it's going to cost him a lot more to make Twitter a viable concern (and with no chance to pay off the debt he saddled it with). He needs to rehire a ton of the Engineers he sacked, just to stop it falling over, but none of them will come back whilst he's in command, and if even they were willing to come back, they'll cost twice what they cost previously. So if he jumps ship now, and leaves the lead weight around some other poor saps neck, then when it all sinks beneath the waves, he can claim that everything was fine whilst he was on board...

First class Management Escape techniques in practice...

But just think all you Tesla shareholders, now Musk can come back, and I'm sure he'll be bringing all of his newly learned best management practices on Tesla too! I bet you're excited!

1. Martin an gof Silver badge

Came here to say something similar - though I would expand it to say that if the poll says he should stay, his argument can then be "I don't know why Twitter failed; I was only doing what people wanted", so either way he absolves himself of responsibility.

Personally - having never had a Twitter account and actively avoiding it wherever possible - I'd be quite happy if he stayed where he is, carried on making seemingly random decisions and ran Twitter into the ground. It and the other social media "big players", for all their many minor positives, have been major causes of some of the worst cases of uncritical "groupthink" among the masses we've seen since that term was invented.

After he's demolished Twitter, maybe Instagram could use his services.

M.

1. gnasher729 Silver badge

Wasn’t there a Simpson’s episode where they lay Homer design a car, which is everything people want and a total failure?

It's everything Homer wants. I don't think it's what anyone else over the emotional age of 6 wants.

Hmm. Perhaps still an apt comparison to Musk.

2. gv

A colleague once floated the notion that he should advertise himself as available to take on these high-paying CEO jobs at failing companies on the understanding that he would take all the blame for the failing and be duly sacked when necessary,

1. Ace2 Silver badge

Lots of people hate Roger Goodell, the commissioner of the NFL, because he’s an ass, a twit, and a soulless douche. But most people miss that he’s a GREAT commissioner. He gets paid like $50M a year to be the dbag, and everybody hates him, and people ignore the billionaire owners actually responsible for the whole mess. He would be cheap at twice the price.

3. mpi Silver badge

> He appoints someone else to lead the company

Well he can probably do that, but I doubt that this would shift the public perception much at this point.

4. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

Typical Musk modus operandi,.. take Tesla stating 'autopilot was not engaged at the time of the crash',... well, yeah, but it was in the seconds before it aimed itself at the semi. So Musk stepping down from Twitter would be like a Tesla disengaging autopilot just as it was poised to crash.

5. TheFifth

Nothing to add other than this is exactly what I came here to say. It's his 'get out clean' play.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The problem is that to satisfy the owner (Musk), any new CEO would have to be as much of a psychopathic Nazi about the way he handles things as Musk himself is. :(

3. Richard 12 Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Foregone conclusion

Given the grumpy faces of those investors he was meeting at the world cup final.

He's been told to step down or they'll call in their debts, this is the face saving.

1. Jedit Silver badge
      Thumb Up

"He's been told to step down or they'll call in their debts"

I have heard this theory elsewhere, and I don't really think a tinfoil hat is required for it. They backed him expecting to see a return on their investment, and every shitpost Musk makes costs them money.

Worse than that, in fact. Musk actually said the other day that Twitter has been going bankrupt since May. This is more than a considerable self-own - he essentially said "this company has been going down the tube since the day I agreed to take it over" - it's also a ruinous blow to the confidence of any potential bidder. I think Twitter is done for at this point, and Musk has indelibly marked himself as the prime if not sole reason for the collapse.

4. Ordinary Donkey

Didn't Musk already say he wasn't going to stay as head of twitter long-term?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Indeed he did.

It's just that the term is getting shorter, apparently.

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

In the words of Musk's lawyers

"Twitter is a home to invective and hyperbole. No reasonable person would consider Musk's tweets a source of factual information."

I does not matter what Musk says or even what contracts he signs. Look at what he does instead.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Good quote, but there are bigger implications to it

One of the main justification floated to keep Twitter going is the (bad IMO) argument that too many government and private sector organizations rely on it for public communications.

The Twitter lawyers have burned that argument to the ground. Twitter, as they see it, was not and will never be a source for timely and credible information. As such, law enforcement, emergency services, and government have no buisness using it for those purposes, and have no justification to prop it up.

Twitter spend millions of VC money building up the idea that it was a credible replacement for self publishing alerts and press releases, and was a replacement for things like mail lists and text messages for public interest and public safety announcements.

This despite the fact that it was a private company, and could delete, alter, or amplify any tweet, at the time or after the fact, with no recourse. It also aggressively pushed against any other entity archiving or backing up content, and demanded that instead of posting direct quotes or screen shots that people should only live link back to the Twitter site.

While, better hope that the Internet Archive backed it up anyway, as the whole record of Twitter may have the pug pulled all the way back to the original Tweet.

Why anyone though this a good idea, or would turn out differently is beyond me, but by social site standards they had a good run, and their VC's got paid, so Dorsey will still get work I guess. The VC's were griping about CEO's with a Willie Wonka complex being a problem more than a decade ago, but they keep picking them to lead the companies they back. Seems like they need to take their own advice.

5. Oglethorpe

Stay and Musk wins

Even if Elon completely bends the knee, leaving for new haunts would have sent the message that no social media site owner is more powerful than the users collectively. Now, users with problems are saying it's better to associate with Musk as long as concessions are made than to be ready to move on. The fallout from this will reach every social media site with ill intentioned management.

6. sarusa Silver badge
    Devil

What a douche. This is total cover for him.

He's been looking for a new CEO for Twitter for over a month at least (well documented by WSJ, etc.) 'Running' Twitter into the ground is more work than he likes to do. This is time he could spend shitposting and smoking weed!

So now he puts out a sham poll, and at the end he can be pretending to be bowing to the will of the plebiscite. Then he sits back and lets his patsy try to save the company he's already nearly destroyed, and as he's still the owner he gets to meddle as much as he wants (You get a ban! You get a ban! You all get a ban!) and blame it on his patsy, and of course the patsy takes the blame for the complete wreck he's left it in.

Where would you even find a sucker to be his patsy, you might ask? But there's always someone willing to be a C**, and he's got plenty of right wing sycophant twats who still love him and would be salivating at running one of his companies.

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Go

Re: What a douche. This is total cover for him.

Hey, for $5 million a year, 1 year's salary in advance, and a guaranteed 1 year's salary golden parachute, I'll happily take the Patsy role and try and keep Twitter alive.

Since whatever CEO comes in, will probably be on similar terms, would you really expect it to be hard to find candidates? Perhaps finding good candidates, who are actually interested in making Twitter a good company, profitable and nice to work for. Well, yeah those are probably hard to find at the moment, but finding someone/anyone to take over as a Patsy will not be a problem. It's all about the "incentive"...

Re: What a douche. This is total cover for him.

Hey, for $5 million a year,

I'll bid myself at $4.20m. Bigger concern would be payroll budget. Fundamentally it's mostly an SMS simulator kludged onto a UI, so the basic app doesn't seem that complicated in comparision to other software and systems development. A bigger budget would probably be needed for legal and lobbying to ensure 17. U.S.C§ 512 protections stay intact, especially after all the censoring. But that would also need proper funding, ie a 'content moderation' team that focuses on whether content is lawful, rather than unpopular.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Anyone up for a side bet?

That his replacement will be a woman, and given an impossible task to succeed at will then hand the reigns back to a male CEO who will then take all the credit for a turnaround if the company survives?

Cause you know that never happens in Silicon Valley...

7. Trigun

I have no issue with him stepping aside (let's be real, it probably won't be down).

What I want to see (and I've said this before) is that everyone be treated equally, transparently and consistently - no vague, arbitrary rules. That is what most people ultimately want, I think. Who wants a world where an activist or journalist can doxx someone, get away with it because they are part of some special group or club, then when you do it (which you shoudn't), you get the banhammer?

1. tangentialPenguin

No-one wants a platform where anyone can dox anyone else, but we also don't want one where journalists are banned for tweeting information that is publicly available. It's not like he banned the multinational corporations for provided the information, or the Swiss government for operating the OpenSky tracker.

2. A. Coatsworth Silver badge

That's exactly what I said when the deal was completed:

Twitter's moderation has always been a sh*tshow. The only difference is that originally it was a sh*tshow led by a disfunctional circus and now it is led by a single, unhinged clown.

3. Ace2 Silver badge

Go read up on Techdirt.

Twitter was the best large-scale content moderation around. Was it perfect? Of course not, because that’s impossible. But it was a good try and better than literally anywhere else.

Certainly WAY better than Facebook, which sometimes blocks posts containing the word “white.” As in, “for sale, white bookcase.” Really!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'd disagree on best, but from the top down they were at least trying.

Facebook/Insta/Meta was never actually interested in addressing the impact of their platform. They just wanted to keep the regulators at bay a little longer, and hoped we would forget about it constantly making money off promoting self harm to teenage girls and literal genocide in no english speaking countries.

They didn't care about killing people and they still don't, why would they care if their shoddy automated system occasionally also over blocks content? Their only concern is the bottom line. If an ad campaign will cost more to verify properly than to drop, they just do what makes them the most money.

A recent analysis showed that most of the ads block that literally threatened death to political opponents were blocked due to grammar errors, not the content, and many were re-submitted with corrections and subsequently run.

Not that Jack's plan to run Twitter moderation on an "impartial" automated system was ever going to work in the real world. The problem is that every one of these managers makes the same mistaken assumption that this can be done easily, cheaply, or reliably. When that fails they try throwing money at the problem, and get the same results.

It's debatable if there is a sustainable business model for any of the modern social media networks (user and victim, oops "product" model) when competent moderation and liability are factored in. The toxic firehose scales faster than the tools to clean it's output after all. This was always a bad idea. Let it die a quick and messy demise, and lest us move on as a global civilization without the baggage of it's corpse.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Musk is the gift of crazy that just keeps on giving

It’s very generous of him!

9. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

Planewreck

It's a bit like having jettisoned most of the fuel, set the engines on fire, and steered the plane towards a mountain, Captain Musk says "I'm done with this, who wants to pilot this shitheap of a plane?". All his favourite passengers think he's so cool though.

10. Southernboy
    WTF?

Dubious governance/process?

How valid is a poll of only those who happen to follow him?

Classically not-thought-through process on his part. But hey, this is Elon.

1. Ordinary Donkey

Re: Dubious governance/process?

It's not valid at all. Elon literally has the power to add votes at a whim.

But for some reason people are acting like it's extremely serious.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm voting for 'Twatty McTwatface'

3. Arthur the cat Silver badge

How valid is a poll of only those who happen to follow him?

I don't follow him but voted. There's enough links in the media to the poll for anyone to find it.

4. NerryTutkins

You'd think Twitter could set up a special account to run votes on major corporate policy decisions, or build a feature into the site where all users are presented with such polls to ensure the widest possible participation.

Because the vast majority of people following Musk are unhinged trump nuts and general fanboys, so it's not really an appropriate channel to post such votes if he genuinely wants to have representative views, and I am sure he's smart enough to realize that.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I imagine a large proportion of those following Da Musk are just doing it to watch the meltdown

11. Roger Kynaston
    Happy

Bit of an admission

One of the main reasons I post on these Reg articles about the twit who liked anti social media so much he bought the company is for the downvotes from Musk Ox fans. It is also a bit of a compulsive car crash thing as well. I have had to stop sneering at my wife for obsessively following the fate of Elizabeth Holmes now.

12. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Facepalm

If I leased property to Twitter

and now that he has stopped paying rent then I'd go in, change the locks and file suit. They properties stay closed until you pay 3 months rent in advance. Don't pay? Then we will send in the bailiffs and start removing goods to the value of what is owed plus legal costs.

Like Trumpo who if famous for not paying his lawyers, Elon the Twittler in Chief seems to not want to honour the lease contracts that he inherited. While he may be a billionaire, he still has to pay the bills. Perhaps putting a lien on his private jet might get him to play ball.

Not on Twitter so he can't ban me for this post.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge
      Happy

Re: If I leased property to Twitter

"Not on Twitter so he can't ban me for this post."

If Musk now buys El. Reg, it's all your fault!

1. Elongated Muskrat Silver badge

I can sell him my account if he likes. I'll take the knock-down price of only $13Bn, cheaper than Twitter!

2. jollyboyspecial

I've come across people who've bought companies before who don't seem to realise they are liable for pre-existing contracts. The problem seems to be that they didn't do their due diligence when buying the company and think they can either claim they are not bound by the contracts or that they somehow have the right to "re-negotiate" (which seems to mean rip up the contracts and write their own versions of the contracts) I've seen both happen in the past and it's never ended well.

13. Trotts36

Intrigued

Is this another bot hunt ? Or is it Elon looking for the answer he wants to be able bow away from the absolute nightmare humans who have him right in their sights ?

Who knows… but it is entertaining

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: Intrigued

The regular polls might motivate some people to use their dormant accounts or create a new one. I do not see the draw myself as the choices are:

0) Musk direct

1) Musk by proxy

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Slow realization

Or this is part of the painfully slow process of him realizing how detached from reality he was, and how thoroughly he's F'd himself with the Twitter buy.

Reading his actions and replies, I think he probably thought that posting this overnight to his followers on a Sunday would yield different results. I think it's dawning on him that the majority of both Twitter users and the public at large HATES him now. Not just western liberals, but people across the board.

He thought he was "saving" us, and that when we saw what he was doing we would fawn over him for it. Reality is a rather stinging slap to the face as it turns out. That and all the other backers who put money on the line for the takeover. I suspect that the fact this came up when he was in the back yard of his Mid-eastern backers isn't a coincidence, and that there may have been a sit-down over the week end.

The results of his straw pole won't have reassured his backers I expect.

14. Howard Sway Silver badge

toddler twitter tantrum

So, it's taken him a month to smash up his new toy, and now it's broken he declares that he's had enough of it, probably soon to be followed by an announcement that he never liked it anyway.

15. Andy 73 Silver badge

Hoho

Amusing that Tesla investors appear to want him back after this debacle. Rather suggests that the company isn't about the cars after all, but the showman promising jam tomorrow.

Also amusing to watch people defending the indefensible - not the politics, but the knee-jerk policy changes, about turns and chaotic management. I've never seen someone look so utterly out of their depth trying to lead a company.

The whole thing is badly infected by American political insanity though with any action, no matter how bone-headed and ill-conceived, being cheered on if one side thinks it's going to "hurt" the other side. Honestly guys, this is not free speech you're fighting over, it's jumped up text messages in a relatively niche echo chamber.

1. 42656e4d203239 Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Hoho

>>the knee-jerk policy changes, about turns and chaotic management. I've never seen someone look so utterly out of their depth trying to lead a company.

You weren't watching when "Swizz AlbaTruss" was Prime Minister of the UK then? You know - those strong and completely stable times between "Spaffer Johnson" and "Rich Boi" Sunak... mind you, if you had a long blink you might have missed her - oh sorry you said company not country. My mistake.

2. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Re: Hoho

Amusing that Tesla investors appear to want him back after this debacle.

The third largest share holder in Tesla was calling for him to stand down as CEO over the weekend.

16. navarac Bronze badge

Musk is a just childish git with too much money, so I couldn't give a damn, personally.

1. Roj Blake Silver badge

Re: I couldn't give a damn, personally.

But enough of a damn to post, apparently.

17. s. pam Silver badge
    Terminator

Elon meet Seppuku, practise and get it right

Look man, you bought and destroyed one of the most toxic places on the Interweb. Long may it be put into the Internet Wayback casket

1. Bebu Silver badge

Re: Elon meet Seppuku, practise and get it right

Auction the role of kaishakunin? The highest bidder would have to undertake not to jump the gun.

1. Sherrie Ludwig

Re: Elon meet Seppuku, practise and get it right

kaishakunin

Thank you for a new word, had to go research. Yeah, it fits.

18. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Someone says they'll take the job and Musk replies: "You must like pain a lot. One catch: you have to invest your life savings in Twitter and it has been in the fast lane to bankruptcy since May. Still want the job?"

1. tiggity Silver badge

I'll do that for silly money CEO pay

.. given that I have no life savings / major assets (bar a small runaround car), would be quids in on the deal

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Saudi Twitter rules OK

No more female posters (unless accompanied by a male relative)

No discussions on alcohol, sex, the Mo’ or democracy.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Vote Remain!

Like Brexit, it will guarantee chaos.

1. KittenHuffer Silver badge

Re: Vote Remain!

I had just been wondering how this story hadn't included a thread where we were discussing what name to use for this vote.

Elxit - Hmm, doesn't sound right.

Musxit - Sounds a bit better ..... if you pronounce it Musket!

1. TRT Silver badge

Elons-y?

(pr. French)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Whogivesashit?

It ends in 'it'.

Oh, wait...

3. OJay

Twatty McTwatface?

21. TRT Silver badge

There's no options for "God, yes! Please! NOW! Just go!" or "Meh!"

22. Kev18999

Twitter is just one company, millennials and GenZ have not suffered their first professional mass layoff rounds yet. Any company or society where you don't rule with the iron fist will get out of hand and quickly devolve into chaos. This is demonstrated in every democratic societies of past and present. The US is on the verge of devolving into chaos already.

1. tangentialPenguin

Apparently you've never heard of cooperatives.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah, what reality do you live in?

Like Gen-X, they have been slammed by two massive recessions, multiple cycles of mass layoffs, and in many nations, multiple cycles of crippling unemployment. Also wage stagnation, crippling housing costs, and constantly being used as a piggy bank to refill the wallets of wall street, the government, and all the damn baby boomers retirement funds.

Worse, the boomers won't stay retired, so they are having to compete for jobs with their literal grandparents and great grandparents.

The big problem isn't weak managers, it's the incompetent tyrants that refuse to adapt to changes in the world and workplace that took place 20 years ago. They are fighting changes that will actually save them money, and in some cases save their companies and their jobs. Big surprise then that the younger generations of workers aren't falling into line with the dinosaurs marching straight towards a cliff.

In most companies your employees are your biggest asset. In most companies that isn't reflected in how the majority of their employees are treated. Business culture waged open warfare on itself, and is holding the bloody stump where it's foot was. Don't blame Millennials for realizing that the gold watch era was over 30 years ago when their parents bosses started draining their parent's pension funds. The same Gen-Xers that boomers branded with that idiotic label figured that part out on their own, and told their kids and their grand kids.

Being loyal to a company that exploits you isn't a virtue. Being loyal to incompetent managers isn't either. The US will be be fine if it can get out of it's own way.

3. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Is it Eternal September already?

23. WolfFan Silver badge

I might, for the first time

Get a Twitter account, just to vote that he stay on. I want him to stay on, Twitter will be dead by this time next year if he does. Stay, boyo, stay!

1. chivo243 Silver badge
      Coat

Re: I might, for the first time

Boyo? Is that you Mr. Crabs? Haahhaha

24. mevets

Mother must I?

This game he is playing is an odd variation of mother may I - Mother Must I.

Is there a suggestion box?

1. Must I go swimming in shark infested waters? ( No, the poor sharks don't deserve that ! )

2. Must I jump off a cliff ?

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tick Tock, Elon

The EU is going to ban your little hate factory soon. The UK will be forced to as well, otherwise lots of British websites will also be banned in the EU for association with non compliant nations. 2023 is going to be the year the People clean up the Internet. The muskrat has proven the old saying true, "when you open a window, you let in flies".

1. chivo243 Silver badge
      Windows

Re: Tick Tock, Elon

When you open a can of worms, bring a big spoon!

1. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
        Happy

Re: Tick Tock, Elon

I like Gagh ... especially fresh

26. Timop

Looking forward to future polls

Tell me that you have no idea by using twitter polls only

27. nautica Silver badge
    Happy

"Should I step down as head of Twitter?"

STAY!

28. Dan 55 Silver badge

Musk's answer

"No one wants the job who can actually keep Twitter alive. There is no successor."

So that was nothing more than an ego massage. If we just ignore him maybe he'll go away.

1. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

Re: Musk's answer

"No one wants the job who can actually keep Twitter alive."

What does the Venn diagram look like? It seems, no one can actually keep Twitter alive.

29. jollyboyspecial

With his Twitter exploits Musk is just adding more and more evidence for those who suspect he isn't actually very bright.

Like a lot of people who aren't all that smart he just assumes that any thought that enters his head must be correct, because hey, he thought it and he knows he's a genius. But even geniuses have dumb ideas. We all have dumb ideas, usually when we haven't considered all the evidence.

A great example of this in Musk's case is that he looked at Twitter and thought that given that has this revenue and that expenditure he could push the company into profit just by slashing expenditure. The trouble is that he made the assumption (as many have done before him) that revenue would stay the same. There are so many things wrong with that idea, but it's a common mistake made by company owners - usually new ones - who don't really understand their own business.

Sure, just about every company can stand a reduction in head count - there's dead wood almost everywhere. But it takes a lot of consideration to reduce headcount effectively - you need to identify the dead wood and of course the people who do the actual work. Asking people if they want to quit in this situation is never a good idea. People who work hard can probably read the writing on the wall and don't want to get their workload increased, they know their worth so they know they can get another job, so they opt for the severance pay. It's the dead weights in a company who won't quit, they like getting paid for making little effort and they know a new employer might not let them do that, they also know they might find it hard getting a new job so they stay. So there's a damn good chance you end up with a higher percentage of dead wood in the organisation. And of course severance pay leaves you even more out of pocket in the short term. Then there are other forms of expenditure, rents (on buildings and other infrastructure) and supplier contracts. The problem with cutting a lot of this sort of expenditure is that it's not a unilateral decision. Landlords and other suppliers might want early termination fees (more unexpected short term expenditure) or they may just say, nope you have a fixed term contract and you can keep on paying us right up to the end of the contract. Cuts in expenditure never turn out to be as big as first predicted.

Then of course there's the assumption that revenue will remain the same. Often cuts in expenditure will lead to a loss of revenue. Consider the example of a restaurant. If Musk bought one he's probably decide that there were too many waiters and kitchen staff. But losing waiters and kitchen staff would make service (and probably the food worse) so you'd lose customers and therefore revenue fairly quickly. In the case of Twitter - which is essentially in the business of selling adverts just like Google and Meta - what happened was Musk cost the company advertising revenue. Customers either left or stopped spending. Yes the advertisers are the real customers, the users are the product. Musk pupports to be a fan of free speech, although recent evidence doesn't support that claim. He is also a fan of a free market economy. When he rants about his lost advertisers being opponents of free speech is is very wide of the mark. They are exercising their own right to free speech and their right to spend their own money where they damn well choose.

As the article states Musk stepping down as CEO doesn't really mean his influence on the company will be any smaller. What it does however mean is that he will have scapegoats to blame for his bad decisions. Or at least I suspect he thinks he will. The trouble with blaming folks is that that pesky stuff called evidence can always pop up. It's no good blaming the new CEO for dumb decisions if the new CEO shares all your emails instructing you to do what you're now blaming him for. But I suspect poor little spoiled rich boy Musk doesn't believe he's to blame for anything. Ever. At all.

1. Ace2 Silver badge

The way I’ve heard it is, you always need an ideas person. But since 9/10 of the ideas will be bad, you also need someone who can tell the ideas person which 9/10 to abandon. Musk seems to have no such person left in his orbit.

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

The way I’ve heard it is, you always need an ideas person. But since 9/10 of the ideas will be bad, you also need someone who can tell the ideas person which 9/10 to abandon.

True. The best companies I've worked for had 1 or 2 geniuses spinning out ideas endlessly and a handful of filtering voices of sanity going "no, no, definitely no, yes, you must be joking, maybe, very much yes, …"

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
          Coat

Hey Arthur, are you one of the 8/10 Cats who prefer Whiskas?

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

I'm in the 20% – I prefer a good curry.

2. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

A pet peeve of mine

"Like a lot of people who aren't all that smart he just assumes that any thought that enters his head must be correct, because hey, he thought it and he knows he's a genius. But even geniuses have dumb ideas."

Instead of "like a lot of people who aren't all that smart", you could have just written "like a lot of people". The axis ( not smart -.> smart ) is entirely orthogonal to the axis ( not falsifiable -.> falsifiable ). The second axis is more related to humility, although not exactly the same. A genius is just as capable of thinking they are always correct, and they are sometimes able to "argue" their case to their own satisfaction by stupefying the opposition with a baffling array of bullshit.

It's difficult to put up with senseless rambling bullshit, but it's outright maddening to put up with genius rambling bullshit.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: A pet peeve of mine

Yeah, it's not that he's dumb, or even not smart to some degree, it's that he's arrogant, self delusional, and embodies a grip of other human flaws.

Just being a basic level of smart doesn't make you immune from making mistakes, even really big ones, it just let's you arrive at a conclusion a little faster or be a little more efficiently. There are plenty of dimensions to high functional intelligence that have more to do with soft skills than raw intellect.

Musk is a fool and a fanatic, not an idiot. That is to say he is much smarter than he is wise, but not quite smart enough to realize that yet(though that painful realization may be slowly dawning on him these days).

As a result he has the grand vision to dig a reeeallly big hole for himself, and the ambition and drive to keep shoveling even when he can no longer see the light of day anymore.

The question is, when does he go full bond villain, and what will be his final evil plot be? I mean he does have the large private fleet of potential ICBMs in the world. Reusable to boot.

(A.C. because he could park 4000lbs of concrete in my parking space whenever he wants, from anywhere in the world, regardless of if I am in it at the time or not. I don't want to be at the top of his x-mas deliveries list...)

Re: A pet peeve of mine

Just being a basic level of smart doesn't make you immune from making mistakes

Nothing makes anyone immune from making mistakes, short of complete cessation of intellectual activity.

Human cognition is rife with psychological traps. They're well-documented and have been demonstrated with methodologically-sound experiments (and there are plausible evolutionary reasons for them; they're not even surprising). Human rationality's failure rate is very high.

There are people who understand this, and make some effort to be vigilant about it in their own thinking. This is always very much an imperfect process, but it's better than nothing.

Then there are people who don't understand it, or don't give a damn.

30. Mitoo Bobsworth

Genius

Musk buys lemonade stand, breaks it, turns lemonade back into lemons. Shouts at passers-by "Hey, wanna buy a lemonade stand?"

Joke

Re: Genius

turns lemonade back into lemons

From what I read about problems with Teslas, some owners may be forgiven for thinking that they have been sold lemons

31. Aussie Doc
    Trollface

Chuckle

Had a real LOL and even my cat thinks I'm mad.

The first item in my Reddit feed was a very well done pic of the 'new' twitter CEO - Elena Musk.

It really made this Photoshop fanboy giggle.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/zq50bo/elon_musk_has_stepped_down_as_head_of_twitter/

May be removed soon as /WSB doesn't like humour.

32. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Stop Press

He's now made it a condition that only people voting NO are allowed to vote.

Trollface

Re: Stop Press

At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if he creates a poll where the question is something like "Would you like Trump to be the next POTUS?" and the only answer possible is [Yes]

33. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Happy

Elon Musk may be about to fire himself as CEO of Twitter.

How much severance will he award himself? And will his system access be revoked? And what about his "kitchen sink" - will he be escorted out of the building by security along with that?

34. Colin Bain
    Coat

Meeoww

I suspect this was a dead cat situation, taking the focus off other shenanigans. Time will tell

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like