back to article IT recruiter settles claims it snubbed American workers

The US Department of Justice (DoJ) said on Wednesday that it reached a settlement with Secureapp Technologies LLC, an IT recruiting firm based in New Jersey, to resolve the department's determination that Secureapp discriminated against US-based job applicants. The DoJ's Civil Rights Division’s Immigrant and Employee Rights …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"It's a Jersey thing"

No it's not. It's a *New* Jersey thing.

Bloody .com

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: "It's a Jersey thing"

Yeah, I was expecting some sort of link to The Channel Islands, maybe tax haven/tax avoidance related.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

Fine missing some zero's?

Even for a small agency the fine seems on the small size - just the commission on a single appointment.

3. bertkaye

some New Jersey oddities too

On a minor side note, there is an enormous number of tiny agencies in New Jersey all within a few mile radius. I get a huge amount of AI-automated spam from them (all 'ceipalm'). There is a company there selling AI-based job spamming software, and I suspect it is all connected. At each shop, the AI does the work, an off-shored Indian handles responses to the emails. None of the Indians know the faintest thing about the jobs - it seems they are villager / clerks, and many are unprofessional. I suspect it is somehow connected to New Jersey law. Most of the recruiters have a bias for Indian labor and the cited rates are tuned for foreign labor.

1. Ima Ballsy

Re: some New Jersey oddities too

Yup. I work in the HPC Industry.

SAIC lost A BIG contract to BAE.

Most of the Admins working in this area Earn 120K+ and UP USD, because it is so

special.

I've been getting these spams as well now - Starting Salaries in the emails are 60K USD for the BAE jobs.

4. The Velveteen Hangnail

Why "without guilt"

I don't understand why these companies keep getting slaps on the wrist. I'm especially frustrated how they never have to admit guilt. They have literally zero incentive to change their ways.

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

Re: Why "without guilt"

I suspect that it means the case doesn't need to go to court. In that case, I'd love to see the fines be exceptionally painful and the sanctions still going on record in case there is a next time. The record should also apply to the senior executives and further offenses with them at any other company in the future subject to even harsher fines/no option to plead.

$26,000 will just be put down as a cost of doing business and a cost of learning how to be more 'under the radar' next time.

5. aerogems Silver badge

See this sort of thing all the time

The latest dog whistle for age discrimination is something like "recent college graduate" in the job advert. While technically someone in their 40s or older could be a recent college graduate, it's not difficult to see that they're looking for someone in their 20s who's fresh out of college. They probably won't have a family so they'll work long hours for peanuts.

6. Matthew "The Worst Writer on the Internet" Saroff

The solution to this is to abolish the ridiculous, midnight rush to get all applications of the current H1B system, and replace it with a bid system.

Once H1Bs are fairly market priced, as opposed to being a source of cheap labor, the problem goes away.

1. martinusher Silver badge

The H-1 application used to require "labor certification", a notice that the job as advertised sufficiently in the press attracted insufficient qualified candidates. There was also a requirement that the wages for the job were no lower than the rates paid to US citizens. (Back then it was also for people of "outstanding merit in the arts and sciences" which, loosely translated, meant "a postgraduate degree and significant work experience".)

This is why the H-1B system is broken. Its a source of cheap overseas labor, replacing talent and workers that are readily available locally. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of academic requirements, either -- at least nothing that couldn't be purchased from the right contacts.

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

"There doesn't seem to be much in the way of academic requirements, either"

How would a government checker be able to find out if a foreign worker from Latvia does in fact have a suitable degree? I expect that in some countries it's not hard to purchase a degree on an installment plan to be able to get a job in another country. The repayment would also be in that foreign country's currency.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>How would a government checker be able to find out if a foreign worker from Latvia does in fact have a suitable degree?

You let 400tonnes of aircraft filled with 200tonnes of Jet-A fly over your capital city piloted and maintained by someone with a Latvian qualification - but you can't check if Riga U doesn't just hand out CS degrees to anyone who plays basketball ?

2. MachDiamond Silver badge

"The solution to this is to abolish the ridiculous, midnight rush to get all applications of the current H1B system, and replace it with a bid system."

Even more important would be a requirement to get prior approval on a job posting to be able to hire foreign workers. I've seen ridiculous qualifications for technical jobs used as a way to chase away domestic applicants. Not just wanting people to have a doctorate for a sales position, but advertising for an EE who also has years of experience sewing soft toys when the job is field service or depot service of medical devices.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

My old employer had some of those - understanding of the financial parts of real estate transactions, for an HVAC technician job, was one of them. Corporate HR would edit the job descriptions and requirements submitted by the actual managers before posting, putting in some boilerplate but unnecessary requirements. In reality, those items weren't actually expected or asked about at any point in the hiring process.

7. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Big problem

This used to be a big problem (and probably still is.) Ads that, instead of just offering the low pay so only H1Bs may WANT to apply, will openly apply *for* H1B workers. Or list false requirements like "10 year experience with SQL Server 2022"; if you don't list that when you apply, you haven't met their requirement; if you DO list that and you're not an H1B, they (accurately) accuse you of lying on your application and toss it in the bin. There used to be LOADS of jobs like that, they listed like "4-5 years experience with X, 7-8 years with y", those were ones were they had an employee already selected and listed their exact experience; after all, if you have 6 years of experience with x, that is not 4-5 years, disqualified.

The nasty part of it where I live is, jobs here can ALREADY pay much lower then they would if you lived in silicon valley or New York (similar to how, in Britain, the same job will have to pay much more in London than in the outskirts of the country); but these H1B farms would not adjust their prices properly to the local market, so they'd list "low" wages that were actually competitive in this area while still making it clear they were not going to actually let any locals apply.

The joke of it is the H1B program is specifically supposed to be for professionals that cannot be found locally; not to underpay and abuse people from overseas because there's tons of locals but they don't want to pay market rate. (An example of a legitimate use, when Siemens installs a nuclear reactor they use H1B visas to bring in some Germans for a year or two to train the locals in the care and feeding of the reactor.) I have no idea why the feds continue to allow the open abuse of this system. Luckily, people appreciate my excellent communications skills, attention to detail, and skill, and I've had no problems getting all the contract work I can handle.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The reason IT recruiters like immigrants is they have a "lock" on them once they're under contract. They can't just change jobs whenever they want; their visa is tied to the employer. Gives them a disgusting amount of leverage in renewal negotiations. :(

1. BobTheIntern

Agreed. It would be better to lock the H1B visa holder to a specific industry or profession and provide a reasonable time period in which a terminated H1B employee can find other employment within their field. There would need to be some guardrails in place to prevent abuse, such as the new position also needing to be H1B-eligible (without having to restart the entire process), but requiring someone to leave the country because they get laid off or ask for pay comparable to their peers is inhumane.

9. Kev18999

I suspect a disgruntle worker there reported this. This is been standard practice by many recruiters in their hiring description they would not post Green card or US citizens required. So it means the job is open to illegals.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like