back to article Musk's Hotel California erected at Twitter HQ, as some offices converted into bedrooms

When Elon Musk told his Twitter engineers to go hardcore or go home, those who remained were clearly up for some marathon sessions, although perhaps they weren't signing up for a situation that looks like a reenactment of the Eagles' classic "Hotel California." According to Forbes' talkative sources, the multi-company CEO is …

1. b0llchit Silver badge
    Facepalm

Office as housing?

Hm, are these facilities allowed to be used as "housing"? I think some local ordinance or law may say differently.

Before you know it, the authorities will do a midnight raid.

No, not that redundancy raid computer stuff, although, maybe just to remove more redundancy. Who knows...

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: Office as housing?

Commercial zones must be kept at greater than practical cycling distance from residential zones otherwise people might not need to buy a car.

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
        Coffee/keyboard

Unannounced beds being installed? I guess those sexual harassment suits won't create themselves. Not that Elon has any history of that. of course.

A boss who does not listen to their educated, trained staff with years of experience. Where have I heard that before? Oh right, multiple times in my career and usually just before a massive amount of downtime or ludicrous loss of money. Funnily enough, those bosses never took responsibility. They typically blamed / fired someone who actually ended up fixing the issue. Why stop a stellar career arc by telling the truth?

Fair seas, Captain Elon of the fair ship Twitanic. Fair seas.

2. aerogems Silver badge

I was wondering the same thing. I'm sure the SF zoning authority is going to have some thoughts on this. Though Twitler has long bought into the idea that laws only apply to other people, so it'll probably take sending the cops in to remove the furnishings to affect any sort of change. Twitter will probably be out of business long before the city could go to court to enforce the payment of fines levied.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
        Big Brother

Re: Twitler has long bought into the idea that laws only apply to other people

So has Mucky Musk.

I'm just surprised that Elon hasn't used his $10,000 fold-up homes for the accommodation... He's never one to shy away from a bit of self-preservation.

Either way, this has to be so that he can keep a very, very, very close eye on his wage slaves.

2. lglethal Silver badge
        Facepalm

According to BBC, SF has started an investigation into potential Building Code Violations at Twitter HQ now.

Musk has responded with a wonderful bit of Whataboutery - that the city should prioritise protecting children from the consequences of opioid drug misuse instead. Because you know that's the focus of the Department of Building Inspections... They should drop all that work, making sure people stay safe by keeping their buildings code compliant, and instead go protect children from drug misuse. Somehow. Yep I totally see how that works. You tell 'em, musky...

What a wanker. Chief Twit indeed...

1. DS999 Silver badge

No doubt Musk will soon tweet about how terrible it is that the local government is trying to stop him from "fixing Twitter" by enforcing zoning laws.

Most likely the employees sleeping in the office are H1Bs who have no choice but to knuckle under and do whatever crazy things he tells them to, because the alternative is being fired and having to return home.

2. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
          Coat

What a wanker.

Maybe it's worse than that. With Elon Musk, Donald Trump and Kanye West, we seem to have some sort of insane Trinity which has sprung into being.

The one with 'Predictions of End Times" in the pocket. No, that's the "QAnon Prophecies", the other pocket.

3. elsergiovolador Silver badge

In my days, you would use space under your desk as a capsule hotel. 3 am, barely can type, put the sleeping pad on, go for a quick spliff and then jump in the sleeping bag, play some Cafe del Mar tunes on your headphones and drift away into heavenly sleep.

You wouldn't even have to think about setting an alarm clock, as the cleaners would be going round waking everyone up in the morning.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

I sit down in a meeting room, check out the selection of cookies, wait for them to slip some relaxing Powerpoint on the screen and drift away into a heavenly sleep

1. David Hicklin Bronze badge

>> Powerpoint on the screen and drift away

Good to know I'm not the only one doing that!

2. Snake Silver badge

Re: space under the desk

Yes, but that "conversion" into living space was both temporary and not officially sanctioned / created by the corporation.

Turning zoned office commercial space into residential space officially sanctioned by the owner / leasee, won't go over well with the Zoning Board. Nor the Fire Department (I'm sure the office space does not meet residential fire isolation codes, not at all), etc.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
          Joke

meanwhile...

SF branches of 'Office Depot' and Staples (other retailers are available) are reporting a shortage of large brown envelopes

3. MachDiamond Silver badge

"In my days, you would use space under your desk as a capsule hotel. 3 am, barely can type, put the sleeping pad on, go for a quick spliff and then jump in the sleeping bag, play some Cafe del Mar tunes on your headphones and drift away into heavenly sleep."

In one city I had a facility, I learned that even having a nap was verboten at the office much less outfitting an office as a bedroom. I never bothered complying, but I wasn't out advertising it either.

4. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
        WTF?

...in those days you had a cubicle for a teeny bit of privacy as you slept.

If I'm at work, I want to be paid, preferably in cash, but I will accept time in lieu. I'm not sleeping there.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

When visiting remote offices, I often would have happily taken a properly-appointed suite in the office building over travel to and from a local hotel – much as I often walked to some local chippie or the like to get take-away dinner, and took it away to the office rather than the hotel, because why not? Better tables, better Internet service, free beverages, nicer facilities in general. All the office lacked was a private room with a bed and a shower.

But my employers certainly didn't expect me to spend after-hours time at the office, or working. If I did, it was because there wasn't anything else I was much inclined to do at the moment, after I'd had my evening stroll about town.

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

According to the BBC he's just sacked all the cleaners, so your alarm clock will be the sound of the robot cleaners bumping into the furniture

4. EricB123 Bronze badge

A single family house, complete with a small lawn and a lawnmower in the middle of SF's tech district would be nice.

1. Eclectic Man Silver badge

Ah, you want the Vera Coking House?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vera_Coking

Too bad it is in Atlantic City.

Not any more it isn't; Carl Icahn accomplished what Trump couldn't and tore it down.

Still, score one for Coking in her battle against the city. Pity SCOTUS threw that away in their abysmal decision in Kelo.

2. MachDiamond Silver badge

"A single family house, complete with a small lawn and a lawnmower in the middle of SF's tech district would be nice."

Elon took the money that would cost and bought Twitter instead.

2. Caver_Dave Silver badge
    Flame

"Only exceptional performance will constitute a passing grade."

I worked for a very large, 2 letter name, US company for a while.

I out performed my peers by a considerable margin one year and was given a "role model" rating.

The next year I did the same and was rated as "average", as my performance scale was moved to reflect last years achievements.

Consequently, many of my peers gained a higher rating (and the associated pay increase) even though I provably was of greater value to the company.

"Copula hock in lido militum" I left.

Corporate egos should go, to be replace by work life balance.

1. Mike 137 Silver badge

Re: "Only exceptional performance will constitute a passing grade."

"Copula hock in lido militum""

What has German wine to do with it?

Joke

What else would you drink while relaxing at the lido?

2. Czrly

That's more or less been my experience: performance simply raises the bar for recognition and it is never judged relative to the standards of others or to absolute, objective contribution. One is rewarded for exceeding their own past and the worst thing one can do is set that bar too high to sustain in the future.

After five years at one place, I approached management and told them that I was unhappy because promises to bring my pay-scale up to par with my industry, given my experience, had not been met despite the fact that the entire small business was then pretty much defined by what had been my own, personal prototype – started literally from file-new-project, by me, and grown, by me, into its overwhelmingly dominant position. They said they did not need me any more – they had the product, now – and that they did not care about my concerns. Wouldn't everyone like to earn more? Nobody else was getting bumped so why should I be? Absolute contribution and effort and excellence and the fact that I had stuck through the company's hard times – the very reason I was paid below par, then – were forgotten, as were the all-nighters, the coding-on-holiday, the support-calls-on-weekends and the rest.

After many such experiences, I've learned: one must go in with excessive demands that must be met to the letter and, then, one does the minimum and spares the horses – more is never rewarded but relative decline is never tolerated so excellence is only a route to disadvantage in the future.

Do these employees expect that their going-of-the-extra-mile, today, will lead to something in their future? If so: they're naiive fools – at best, they will be recognised as people who "can" and subsequently find themselves having to compensate for the shortcommings of others who "can't".

It is ironic that I would be less bitter and jaded, today, had I stood up for myself and demanded more from the start of my career instead of trusting the promises of corporations and believing the stupid fallacy that merit, effort and ingenuity were the routes to success.

1. Captain Hogwash
        Unhappy

Re: "naiive fools"

I am just discovering this for myself.

2. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Indeed, there are companies now, big companies, "Why can't we get employees to show company loyalty any more?" while the same big companies will cut xxx employees to save yyy dollars, then pay that same yyy dollars to the CEO as a bonus; will fire staff as soon as some project is done; will fire staff over one down quarter only to have to start hiring a bunch a quarter or two later (I can see if a company is on a total decline they may have to lay some staff off, but these companies that have mass firings every year or two, only to re-hire like 6 months later? Screw them.)

The icing on the cake -- pensions in the US have been virtually unheard of since the 1980s. And some of the companies that had (or have) pensions have been caught comingling the pension fund with company funds, so people go to get their pension and find the company has stolen it. (Typically, the claim is they "borrowed" money from it with the plan to replay it when the company was doing better; then of course either the company didn't do better, or it did but they didn't bother to replenish the pool.)

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

"And some of the companies that had (or have) pensions have been caught comingling the pension fund with company funds, so people go to get their pension and find the company has stolen it."

Government pensions are handled differently. They guarantee a certain interest rate for each workers contribution regardless of how the pension's investments have done. Since the guaranteed interest was ludicrous to start with, they rely on other government agencies to bail them out when the funds finally run dry.

I never saw any point in saving for retirement until I owned my own home. Why should I be putting money away at a paltry interest rate when paying much more interest elsewhere? I'm no model economist, but I don't have any current debt. I'm not loaded with cash either, but I have some saved up and my monthly costs are very manageable.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Caver_Dave,

Finally decyphered your latin-esque comment !!! :)

Yes, I know the 'very large, 2 letter name, US company' very well ..... this is standard practice !!!

Work/life balance is only noticed when you 'suddenly' reach the point of 'needing to remove' all the knives from your back and question if it is worth it !!!

:)

4. elsergiovolador Silver badge

When you start working at a company you must figure out the pace things are going at and then try to work below it, so that managers are unhappy, but not unhappy enough to fire you. Never try to be the best - it will only get shareholders better off, never yourself.

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Relevant Office Space:

Peter Gibbons: The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.

Bob Porter: Don't... don't care?

Peter Gibbons: It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my ass off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime, so where's the motivation? And here's something else, Bob: I have eight different bosses right now.

Bob Slydell: I beg your pardon?

Peter Gibbons: Eight bosses.

Bob Slydell: Eight?

Peter Gibbons: Eight, Bob. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled, that and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.

5. Eclectic Man Silver badge
      Headmaster

This statement is akin to the UK's previous Chief Inspector of Schools claiming that, and here I quote, "satisfactory isn't good enough".

WTF does "Only exceptional performance will constitute a passing grade" mean? Can everyone be 'exceptional'? Does 'exceptional' refer to comparison with people outside Twitter, maybe in Musk's other enterprises, or the 'industry' in general?

Reminds me of what an RAF Wing Commander told me about rating RAF staff in their annual reviews. Everyone was "above average", because if you were only rated "average" that was the end of your career.

You'll have to excuse me now, I need to re-set my hyperbole alarm.

1. AbominableCodeman

Shirly if everyone is exceptional, then no-one is.

2. David Hicklin Bronze badge

Its like when a company asks for a survey on how they did and always expects a "10"

Normally I don't bother but when asked why "only" an 8, I had to explain that anything over this is because they went "above and beyond" normal service to resolve some issue - not providing what I consider a "standard" service

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

I once did a survey where, after the fact, we were informed the scale went 1-3, Poor, 4 Average, 5 Excellent. WTF? No distinction between 1-3 and sooo many people scored items as "average", ie 3 in the expected rather than actual scaling.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

There is the KPI 0-10 scale, where I always used to score 'never used'/'I have no opinion' as 5, thinking that would be about as neutral as you could get... until I discovered that 0-6 is defined as 'detractor', 7-8 as 'passive' and only 9-10 as a 'promotor'

I now refuse to partake in any survey that doesn't offer 'no opinion' as an option (unless you really want all zeroes!)

Similarly, I'll generally only submit a survey response if something extraordinary – good or bad – happened. That way I can offer praise or criticism when it's due. There simply isn't a way to indicate on these things that business was conducted in a business-like fashion and both parties left satisfied with the result.

If I were running a survey program like this, every question would have an optional text response area (what we used to refer to as a "narrative" response option), with a reasonably high limit on length; and then four choices: something like "disappointed", "satisfied", "better than expected", "no opinion". And maybe a short prefatory statement noting that employees wouldn't be penalized for "satisfied".

But even with something like that, I'm dubious about its value.

3. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

And, of course, "exceptional" does not mean "good". If Musk were half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be more careful about his diction. Among other things.

6. ecofeco Silver badge

I learned many decades ago to never trust an employer. No one listened to me when I told them the reasons why.

Then the reasons only got worse. And still, my fellow proles insisted I was being negative.

Then it got even worse and I am no longer nice to people who kiss employers asses nor care when they get the wrong end of the stick. People who insist on hurting themselves are best avoided at all times.

"People who insist on hurting themselves are best avoided at all times."

We have been trained to hurt ourselves. At best, we aren't trained to NOT hurt ourselves. When I was in school, there was no household budgeting class. No teaching about interest rates and how to build a solid net worth. Nothing taught about researching which jobs pay the best vs what it costs to prepare for that role. I didn't get any guidance on when it's a good idea to rent a flat and when to buy a home and how to tell one situation from the other.

I suppose that people that insist on hurting themselves are the ones that haven't figured out the above on their own.

Much of what you describe is a parents job, not the educations systems job :-)

1. fromxyzzy

Most parents never learned it either, someone needs to fill in the blanks.

Hell, most parents who think they learned it, didn't, and get caught out when the economy takes a turn.

"Much of what you describe is a parents job, not the educations systems job :-)"

Both in the US and UK there is an unwritten taboo about discussing financial matters with children or strangers. The economy was also much different when I was first out on my own vs. when my parents left home. My dad did teach me about some financial decisions, but not in planned and rigorous way.

I'm with you on parents taking a more active role in teaching their kids, but a school teacher should have more skills presenting and explaining topics. Getting the information from both places or using the classroom instruction as a basis for discussion at home is even better.

3. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Much of what you describe is a parents job, not the educations systems job

Oh, what a load of bullshit. None of what Machdiamond listed is inappropriate to be taught in school.

Parents are not some sort of panacea.

7. spuck

Sounds like your co-workers had already learned the lesson you learned that year.

8. fromxyzzy

The "grindset" is for suckers.

3. Sleep deprived
    Joke

It's not for employees

This office space made redundant by telepresence is now advertised on Airbnb to recoup lost ad revenues.

Re: It's not for employees

Maybe Musk has secretly teamed up with best buddy Trump to turn Twitter HQ into a hotel and casino?

The slots will pay out in Dogecoin, and whales get a blue checkmark.

4. Howard Sway Silver badge

telling them he planned to make it "extremely hardcore"

There's another more worrying explanation for the arrival of the beds considering he said this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: telling them he planned to make it "extremely hardcore"

Im sure there was a meme that would fit very nicely just here, something about what the internet mainly gets used for? Although I can't *quite* see how cat videos fit in....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Pussy videos?

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Anybody want a pony?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Have I got lost, is this 10 pages into an Ars Technica comment thread?

3. DS999 Silver badge

There's another more worrying explanation for the arrival of the beds considering he said this

OK finally I understand how he's going to make Twitter profitable!

Might not go over well with the religious chunk of the right wing, but they were willing to overlook Trump banging a porn star and paying her hush money, they will overlook Musk's burgeoning porno empire so long as he lets the white nationalists back onto Twitter.

4. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

There's another more worrying explanation for the arrival of the beds considering he said this.

He thought he was buying OnlyFans?

5. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

He did say something about adding video to Twitter, right?

5. Filippo Silver badge

Ghastly as this is, I wonder how many other Big Tech offices have similar facilities.

1. Mike 137 Silver badge

Many years ago I went for an interview with a (now defunct) mobile OS company. The chap who interviewed me said he had a mattress in a store room where he could bunk off when he felt tired.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The couch in the back of the test lab which survived from our startup days finally went in the last great office cleanup.

Just in time for a major snowstorm that knocked out transit and left a few people considering staying overnight.

"Ghastly as this is, I wonder how many other Big Tech offices have similar facilities."

Some big companies do have accommodations at their offices. If a company VIP is on their own and will only be in town for a day or two, it can be more convenient than a hotel. It's also handy when execs are traveling overseas and their internal time is far different and it's long before a hotel's check-in time. I've seen some pretty swank set-ups and they aren't usually easy to find so building inspectors and fire inspectors would have to have really good spatial skills to detect they haven't seen the whole space. That was decades ago when I worked at a home theatre/home automation company.

Right. There isn't necessarily anything wrong with having some sleeping space in an office building. It can be a nice perk, and sometimes someone needs a bit of rest in the middle of the day, particularly if the alternative is driving themselves home when they're dangerously tired.

As usual, the problems in this case are that Musk's intentions are suspect (because of previous actions and reputation); the facilities don't seem to be very nice; he's made himself the World's Richest Vein of Humor over the past month; and he's been tone-deaf in communicating (or apparently not communicating) about it.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

War-Rooming

Standard silicon valley approach to unrealistic schedules. This is just the logical next step.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a good thing

It's nice to have a nice comfy place when your getting F--ked...

8. tonique

My guess is that Musk designed the room himself with The Sims 2.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You also think there's a camera in each room and he can click on people from his desk to make them do his bidding?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The article did mention "telepresence monitors"...

9. chivo243 Silver badge
    Facepalm

One night's sleep or power nap?

One night's sleep or a power nap? Don't lots of companies have 'nap rooms'? I've had naps that have lasted 4 or 5 hours ;-}

Not really a facepalm, he's actually yawing...

10. trevorde Silver badge

Future conversation

[young child] Daddy, where was I made?

[Elon Musk] Well, I was working hardcore at Twitter HQ, as was your Mum. We had some of the offices converted to bedrooms, it was that hardcore. Anyway, one thing led to another and...

[young child] Daddy, what's Twitter?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Future conversation

It's along term solution to recruitment - but Musk does seem to be trying his best to personally repopulate all his companies

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's a dry run for colonising and populating Mars. Watch out for incoming uniforms without collars for the morlocks.

1. David Hicklin Bronze badge

>>> Watch out for incoming uniforms without collars for the morlocks

Just refuse the RED ones

2. chivo243 Silver badge
      Alert

I am so getting the feeling he is the real life Drax Industries... Hugo has 4 letters, Elon has 4 letters, Drax has 4 letters, Musk has 4 letters...

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Indeed. Both working on rockets for the government

3. My-Handle

Don't be silly.

By all accounts, Musk doesn't hang around long enough for any of his kids to call him Daddy.

11. Robert Moore
    Happy

Finally!

With this news I will finally be able to get purchase approval for the business hammock I have wanted ever since I saw them on the Simpsons.

1. YetAnotherXyzzy

Re: Finally!

In a previous career I opened and ran a restaurant. Not a chain, no outside investors. Long hours, often no money left over for me, often tired. I had a hammock that I could string up in the storeroom/office, and I used it a lot. (Alone, so stop that snickering in the back.)

Which was okay because I was working for myself. It would have been less okay if it were for some billionaire who regularly talked trash about the work my colleagues and I have done.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hang on a minute

The factual part of Forbes article:

> On Monday, employees returning to work at the company’s San Francisco location were greeted by modest bedrooms featuring unmade mattresses, drab curtains and giant conference-room telepresence monitors

Then there's a few hundred more words of idle but not necessarily innocent speculation.

The register then does a rehash of Forbes article and adds some more speculation.

I don't care if we're talking about Genghis Khan's evil cousin here. This is not news, it's entertainment at best, propaganda at worst.

Go on, now express your displeasure with me pointing out the obvious.

1. James O'Shea

Re: Hang on a minute

"Go on, now express your displeasure with me."

Your wish has been granted.

Hint: your conclusion was neither obvious nor warranted. The 'idle speculation' seems a lot closer to the mark, given Elon's recent behavior.

If I worked at Twitter I would be urgently researching other jobs. Indeed, I would have been urgently researching other jobs since Elon arrived, and my search would only have intensified once I saw those 'bedrooms'. I suspect that there is about to be another mass exodus.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> your conclusion was neither obvious nor warranted.

Which conclusion?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"The 'idle speculation' seems a lot closer to the mark, given Elon's recent behavior."

So your idle speculation is that the idle speculation may be correct. And therefore it is incorrect to call it idle speculation, because speculation that may be correct is not speculation?

I would speculate that it is speculation since there's no way to know if it true or not yet. On the other, it's less likely to be idle speculation since Musk will fire anyone caught being idle :-)

2. sarusa Silver badge
      Devil

There is no favorable explanation for converting offices into hotbunk dorms for your H1-B slave labor. Especially when you've made the completely unreasonable demand that everyone work in the office for a job that's entirely software (minus a very few people).

Or perhaps you're suggesting that these aren't for workers to sleep in, they're so Elmo can have spontaneous non-consensual sex with his unable to say no H1-B drones? Well I guess that's possible, so we shouldn't entirely jump to conclusions.

I think the biggest thing here is that he didn't even bother telling employees what was going on.

3. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Sounds like the opening scene of 1984, complete with bidirectional viewscreen

13. Adair Silver badge

When it comes to the products of human effort ...

just remember that 90% of everything is crap.

So, in the face of the mystery, wonder, and brevity of life why waste it being a slave to someone else's crap;

it's enough to learn to deal with our own, and then do something worthwhile with the other 10%.

Re: When it comes to the products of human effort ...

Adair: "90% of everything is crap."

If God did not like shit, She would not have made so many arseholes.

2. Elongated Muskrat Silver badge

If you're going to quote Theodore Sturgeon, at least get the quote right.

And on that hangs Sturgeon’s revelation. It came to him that [science fiction] is indeed ninety-percent crud, but that also – Eureka! – ninety-percent of everything is crud. All things – cars, books, cheeses, hairstyles, people, and pins are, to the expert and discerning eye, crud, except for the acceptable tithe which we each happen to like.

The subtlety, of course, is that the 10% which is not crud, is largely a matter of personal opinion.

1. Adair Silver badge

Sturgeon may have publicized the dictum in the modern era, but there's little reason to doubt that many have come to the obvious truth independently throughout all the generations of human crapness.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

10% of people is cheese.. Yuck!!

1. Elongated Muskrat Silver badge

This time of year, with the "seasonal diet", my cheese content may well be getting above that level.

14. This post has been deleted by its author

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice idea in some ways...

The number of times a couple of hours nap when exhausted would have made my working afternoon more productive ...

Also the number of times I've shlepped home to literally go to bed and get up and do it all again ...

A free room instead would actually have been handy!

1. Elongated Muskrat Silver badge

Re: Nice idea in some ways...

I doubt Twitler* is thinking about letting his slaves staff take naps. If he wanted them well rested, he'd continue to allow them to work from home...

*attrib: the poster above who used this. I'm nicking this, thanks.

2. lglethal Silver badge
      Stop

Re: Nice idea in some ways...

You really want to climb into a bed thats just been vacated by some other code monkey who probably hasnt been home for a couple of nights either?

You dont really think Twitter are paying for a cleaning lady or fresh sheets do you?

Pass...

16. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

I guess he might as well do something with the space

I guess he might as well do something with the space. With the office at well under 25% occupancy there's plenty of empty space. (But seriously, I agree with those saying this is disrespectful. Netscape brought in some cots and such, but this was Jamie Zawinski etc. choosing to put in huge hours, choosing to do crunch time to ship out nestcape 1.0. It wasn't some a'hole firing too much staff then telling the rest they must put in crunch hours on what is after all an already developed and running product.

17. johnfbw

Not unusual in London

Back in the day it wasn't unusual to have a couple of suites in head offices in London banks for late workers. Not sure what percentage were used by pissed bankers who missed the last train because they were getting taken out when I started working

18. Jilara

Middle Passage

Start to worry if chains and manacles start to show up.

Of course, it's possible Musk is just taking inspiration from the factory lockdowns created by China's "Zero Covid" policy.

Re: Middle Passage

Which even China is now beginning to back-track on.

19. Claverhouse Silver badge
    Headmaster

Loyal Servants

Brings an entirely new meaning when the idiot eventually declares: "To the mattresses !"

20. Russell Chapman Esq.

Musk got lucky

Musk happened to be in the right place at the right time with Paypal. Nothing indicates he is much of a coder, he just talks a lot and got lucky at the time. For this reason, I'm not surprised to see him in his current situation.The Tesla name will probably be sold off. Musk is just that, a smell. Twitter will fade away.

Re: Musk got lucky

"Musk happened to be in the right place at the right time with Paypal."

When X was sold to Confinity and eventually turned into Paypal, Musk wasn't any more than a stock holder. He didn't have an active role at "Paypal".

21. spuck

The real question: which is the government subsidy that Musk has identified?

Since Tesla survives on selling carbon indulgences to other car companies and SpaceX survives on government contracts based on future performance, the real answer might be found in combing the San Francisco city council's minutes to see if any new contracts for housing the homeless have been issued recently. https://www.sfchronicle.com/projects/2022/san-francisco-sros

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rudyard Kip-ling (get it, Kip…)

If you can keep your head when all about you

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,

But make allowance for their doubting too;

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,

Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,

Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,

And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

1. SonofRojBlake

Re: Rudyard Kip-ling (get it, Kip…)

If you can keep your head when all about you

Are losing theirs.... soon you'll be the only one left with a head.

Re: Rudyard Kip-ling (get it, Kip…)

So, the one headed man in the land of the headless is...king?

23. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Getting that Tenderloin feeling

IIRC isn't Twatter's office in SOMA, close to Tenderloin? Save even more money by cancelling everyone's rent and letting them join the homeless.

Elsewhere TikTok continues to grow and Telegram attracts more people looking for more like minded people.

Re: Getting that Tenderloin feeling

"Elsewhere TikTok continues to grow and Telegram attracts more people looking for more like minded people."

And Elon defends any city actions directed at his repurposing the building outside of what the zoning allows by claiming that the building department/code enforcement would be better out keeping kids off of drugs. I imagine the city does have departments that worry about that sort of thing. They also have a department that regulates how buildings are used so unscrupulous bastards aren't renting out inappropriate living quarters.

On a side note, employers that provide accommodations must asses them as compensation to the employee on their payroll statements. There are guidelines about the minimum rates for housing and food provided by the company. Usually, that sort of accounting is found in places such as off-shore oil rigs, cruise ships, etc. I don't have a link handy, but I remember it when I was learning all about payroll when I first started my own company with employees. Of course Elon is keeping track of who uses these rooms and notifies payroll so the use is being apportioned correctly to those employees accounts.

24. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Go

Did someone say, "free housing?"

I know a lot of people who'd ditch their $2000-$5000 a month urban living costs for a bedroom in the office. The intersection of hardcore Musk fans, people who can write code, and people who'd live in the office is probably in the tens of thousands. It would be another step towards failure for the business but Musk would have the hardcode fanatics he personally needs.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Double beds?

Someone's expecting the Christmas party to go well?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like