back to article RIP Fred 'Mythical Man-Month' Brooks: IBM guru of software project management

Dr Frederick Phillips Brooks Jr, leader of IBM's OS/360 project and the man chiefly responsible for the prevalence of the eight-bit byte, has died at the age of 91. Fred Brooks was the project lead for OS/360, IBM's flagship OS for its vastly influential S/360 line of computers. His experience on this project led him to write …

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge
    Pint

RIP

Always sad to hear of someone so notable in the furtherance of science or engineering passing away.

One last one for Dr. Brooks =>

2. captain veg Silver badge

the eight-bit byte

I was taught that "byte" is a (mangled) contraction of "by eight". But who am I to contradict a legend?

-A.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: the eight-bit byte

AFAICR hardware data size names went bit, nibble, byte, word with no specific size associated after the first one. Correct name for an 8-bit data type was octet.

1. captain veg Silver badge

Have no idea why anyone would downvote: octet is unambiguously the correct name for an 8-bit word.

-A.

2. captain veg Silver badge

I think you mean nybble.

-A.

1. that one in the corner Silver badge

Don't forget tayste, playte and dynner (2, 16 and 32 bits)

http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/P/playte.html

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte

3. Irony Deficient

The OED gives the origin of “byte” as

[Arbitrary, prob. influenced by BIT sb.⁴ and BITE sb.]

(which probably in turn influenced “nybble” later on), with the earliest reference being in 1964, from an article by Blaauw & Brooks in the IBM Systems Journal..

3. J.G.Harston Silver badge
    Pint

One of the greats. I'll raise one --->

4. RobThBay

6 to 8

Going from 6 to 8 bits must have been a huge change back in the day.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 6 to 8

Well, kind of. But having two extra bits for every character just made things easier. And then came microprocessors, which made for a much bigger change. 8-bit words, 16-bit words, 32-bit words - you pays your money and you takes your choice.

1. that one in the corner Silver badge

Let's not forget bit-slice machines and the joy of being able to have a 12-bit machine; or, for that matter, the very widely used 4-bit microprocessors (ringing any musical doorbells for you?).

2. PRR Silver badge

> "The bearing of a child takes nine months, no matter how many women are assigned."

So add some men to the birthing project.

> Going from 6 to 8 bits must have been a huge change

I remember working with Compuserve's 36-bit-wide DEC-10 systems back in the day. Instead of ASCII (7-bit) they had a "6 bit" coding, apparently DEC SIXBIT code. Not for general texting but you had to be ready to deal with 6bit.

My dad (who is now nearly Brooks' age) learned to code in Octal, and it was well into the 8088 days that he grudgingly switched to thinking in Hex(adecimal). He sight-reads either encoding as good as any musician on the staff. I have a "binary clock", really BCD of course, and he reads it at a glance.

Thank you, Fred, for all you learned and for all you tried to teach us.

1. Primus Secundus Tertius

I had to work with DEC radix50 code. Octal 50, so decimal 40 characters available. Space, A-Z, 0-9, and a few punctuation marks. Its purpose was to allow a 3-letter code to be carried in 16 bits: 64,000 codes in a field of 65536 possibles.

The ICL 1900 series used 6-bit characters, and very contrived schemes for documents that had to handle lower case letters.

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

The ICL 1900 series used 6-bit characters, and very contrived schemes for documents that had to handle lower case letters.

Not sure it was that contrived. The highest 4 characters in the set (60-63) were shifts. Alpha (60, '$') and beta (61, ']') shifts were basically capslock on/capslock off and delta (62, '^') shift said the next character was the control char version of the printable or one of the four shift chars. The fourth shift (63, '_') was sensibly reserved for future extensions and documents started in alpha shift. I learnt to program(*) on an ICL 1907F and could probably still edit a raw shift coded document to this day.

(*) Grumpy Old Man note: not "code".

3. stungebag

The Burroughs Large Systems, dating back to about 1970 but still in use today as the Unisys Clearpath range, were interesting in this respect. Originally character data was 6-bit. 7-bit ASCII support was added and 8-bit EBCDIC which became the normal way of handling character data. Eventually 6-bit was retired in the hardware. The word on these machines was 48 bits so the character size indicated the packing: a word could hold 8 6-bit characters, 6 ASCII or EBCDIC characters (ASCII being padded) or 12 Hexadecimal characters. A word could also contain a real, integer, boolean, complex (over two words) and so on.

Things used in string manipulation, such as Algol SCAN and REPLACE, used character pointers with a length expressed in the appropriate unit for the character size of that string. E.g. you could declare EBCDIC POINTER P then perform operations on it that knew that it was 8-bit units encoded in EBCDIC. Other data structures such as arrays could be SIMILARLY typed.

EBCDIC ARRAY EA[0:79;

HEX ARRAY HA[0:11];

ASCII ARRAY AA[0:131];

An efficient TRANSLATE was supplied.

REPLACE EA[0] BY AA[0] WITH ASCIITOEBCDIC.

Fascinating machines.

4. I Am Spartacus
      Thumb Up

try 8 to 6

I was educated on 8 bit bytes. OS/360, Micros, PDPs, VAX. And then I went to work on Univac-1100 with its 6 bit byte. That was a shock, but one I over came. Nothing like reading a dump made up of 6-bit bytes at 2am when the O/S upgrade falls flat on its face!

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

From https://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/tuhs/2021-February/022954.html

Amdahl was planning for a word size to be 24-bits and the byte size to be 7-bits for cost reasons. Fred kept throwing him out of his office and told him not to come back “until a byte and word are powers of two, as we just don’t know how to program it otherwise.”

5. mmaug

But Agile will fix everything!

I read MMM, the first time, in the early 80's. I was working on a IBM OS/370 mainframe (running Michigan Terminal System for time-sharing) so the references to PL/1, LOC, and other metrics of the time made sense to me. While the metrics may have changed, the message still holds: Software Development is a "creative" activity requiring engaged intellect; it can not be reduced to assembly line steps that a Project Manager can control. I'm always amazed at how few PMs have heard of, let alone read, this book.

1. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: But Agile will fix everything!

"metrics of the time" :-) including:

- Punch cards

- Secretaries

- Typing pool

They are arguably the best part of TMMM, a reminder that though technology can change, some concepts are timeless.

RIP, Dr Brooks

2. I Am Spartacus
      Pint

Have an up-vote and pint for the reference to MTS and PL/1. Heady days indeed.

3. JDX Gold badge

If the project manager is trying to control every step, that's not Agile. Agile is specifically about all the team being involved in running the project based on them being the ones who know what's going on.

6. Ozan
    Pint

Rest in Peace and have one last beer on us.

The Mythical Man-Month is still the best project management book ever written.

7. Gene Cash Silver badge

Man-month

I talk to so many people that don't understand the title. They don't realize that large projects used to be measured in "man-months" of effort

I propose the new measurement should be called the "Oracle" or maybe the "Fujitsu"

1. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Man-month

TMMM should be on every software professional's bookshelf, right next to K&R. I'm a hardware guy and *I* think it's brilliant. Surprising how many project managers do not know of it. I got my copy when I was at Data General...they used it in a management course.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Yep, one of the very few books I own on Project Management. (And coincidentally, it's shelved next to K&R).

It's still amazing how many people seem to think that "I need a baby in a month. Get me nine women!" actually works...

1. J.G.Harston Silver badge

It percolates everywhere.

"Make this concrete set faster!"

Calcium silicate cross-linking reactions take X hours to complete.

"Make it faster!"

In this universe, Calcium silicate cross-linking reactions take X hours to complete.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Tell it to Elon Musk!

(No, seriously, if you see him, tell him that. I don't think he knows.)

2. JDX Gold badge

You can buy "concrete accelerant" which literally makes it set faster.

"you can't speed this up with more people" is sometimes true, and sometimes not... you can speed up laying the concrete and laying the bricks but (smart alex comments aside) the concrete takes a fixed time to set.

However often a seemingly monolithic task can be decomposed into things which may be done in parallel if you take time to analyse and understand it. In software that might be via unit testing, in building well maybe you can organise things so that while the concrete sets, other work can be going on instead of the project stalling.

Developers are not typically (as a developer) very good at planning this, and tend to be sceptical that anyone else is. But a good manager/analyst/architect can.

1. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Yes, you can lay more concrete, but it will still take the same time to set, but the problem with laying more concrete is the heat generated as it sets now has to pass through a greater mass of concrete, which retards the setting process. The Hoover Dam is so thick, it *still* hasn't set!

Even with cementing accellerants, you have to be careful what they use, as some of them will attack the structures in the concrete, and some will speed up the setting so much they destroy the cement bonds, leaving you with a very expensive structure of friction-bonded gravel.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Yes. There are a few others I like, such as Yourdon's Deathmarch (which is sort of an extended "hey, idiot managers, this is what will happen if you don't pay attention to Brooks"). But The Mythical Man-Month is one that everyone who works in or with software development ought to read.

Besides the various great bits others have mentioned, I also like Brooks' catalogue of types of developers: the Language Lawyer, the Toolsmith, and so on. (That's from memory; my copy is in storage until we fetch the rest of our things that came out of the Stately Manor and don't fit into the current Mountain Fastness. Mountain Fastness 2.0 is still under construction.)

1. Sherrie Ludwig

But The Mythical Man-Month is one that everyone who works in or with software development ought to read.

Reading the Mythical Man-Month helped my career working on and later managing many non-IT projects. It should be required reading for anyone in a corporate environment. RIP, sir

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

At one place I worked at an exiting PM gave senior management a copy each of MMM.

Wish I'd left at the same time...

3. Down not across

I got my copy when I was at Data General...they used it in a management course.

Did they also use and hand out Soul of a New Machine?

2. Code For Broke

Ah, yes, I appreciate the concept, but if it's actually an Oracle project, it is measured by Zeno's Paradoxes of motion.

3. Fred Daggy Silver badge
      Holmes

Is an Oracle/Fujitsu that the time from when a CIO first picks up a Gartner Report to when

a, the last lawsuit is concluded for the non-delivery of the project, or

b, last management mouth-breather responsible for the failure is promoted,

c, the article hits El Reg, or

d, all of the above?

4. JDX Gold badge

That's an interesting point I had never considered, that those brought up in modern paradigms simply don't work in man-months because Agile approaches deliberately avoid it.

Of course then many fo the other extreme "we can't plan or schedule anything" but that's just the pendulum swinging.

8. wolfetone Silver badge
    Pint

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement."

Applies to computers, software, cars, women, life. What a guy. RIP

1. Ozan

"I just spent a billion dollars educating you; I'm not letting you go now!"

IBM CEO Thomas J Watson Jr to Dr Frederick Phillips Brooks Jr when Brooks tried to quit after IBM 8000 failed.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Watson Jr. wasn't right about everything, but he sure puts the last few IBM CEOs in perspective. And not to their credit.

9. Herring`

The quote I remember

is Brooks on his own book:

"The Bible of Software Engineering", because "everybody quotes it, some people read it, and a few people go by it"

Ultimately, we haven't learned a damned thing.

1. JoeCool Bronze badge

Re: The quote I remember

I think of this book weekly, if not daily because we have in fact NOT LEARNED FROM IT.

I especially like the story of the $1MM mis-spent in the name of keeping a team occupied, while the team that needed to do the work was on a critical path item.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Well, to be fair, some of us have.

The teams I work with have a historical velocity. We break feature requests and defects into small pieces so estimation errors are individually small, and try to control for optimism. Then we can tell PM that we can commit to X amount of work for a minor release in a month, and Y amount for a major release in a year, based on that historical velocity. They decide what their priority list is, and we edit that based on what we think it should be. We leave some margin for discovered work and urgent interruptions.

It's certainly not a perfect system, but we usually hit promised release dates (and don't slip by much if we don't), and usually with the committed fixes and enhancements.

Those are lessons learned from Brooks, filtered through subsequent decades of research into software project management. You have a team, and it has a velocity; you're unlikely to increase that velocity over the course of a release. Bringing in new staff is necessary, but as much to compensate for attrition as anything else. You can create new teams to work on other features as long as cross-team dependencies are kept to a minimum. Teams shouldn't be too large, but should include developers with different areas of competence and interest. Beware the second-system effect; you can compensate for it by strictly limiting what can be included in the plan for the current release. And so on.

Many organizations do refuse to learn, of course. Hell, I still run into people who aren't even using source code change management.

1. Herring`

I have worked in/led teams where we have had massive productivity and hit those deadlines. But that was over 20 years ago and working on a very profitable product with excellent and engaged expert users and management who were too scared to mess with it.

Now, well at least 95% of work on a typical project is meetings between people who aren't actually producing anything. And that includes me - I just do words and diagrams that nobody pays attention to.

I want to go back to developing commercial software. I was happy then. But my CV doesn't show any dev work (except PoCs) in the last couple of decades.

10. Philip Storry

I first read The Mythical Man-Month in the early 2000's, and it was a revelation.

Its descriptions of technology and the process of programming were laughably outdated - like stumbling across a charming time capsule.

But on time estimating, project management and even on the ability of technology to magically fix things via "silver bullets", it was spot on. And has never been bested.

The last person I lent my copy to handed it back saying "I now understand why my last project was so late". That was two decades after I first read it, and over four decades after it was first written. Fred really hit on something in that book, and we are in his debt for it.

RIP Fred Brooks. And thanks.

1. JoeCool Bronze badge

After my first big coding project cratered ...

I was looking for answers and found this book. Yes it was a revelation.

Everything he said was relateable. and often genius; especiallly his ability to take a more objective "outsider" view of the case study, despite his intimate involvement.

And I never had a problem with the technical language ( some of which was ancient history even in the 90s) because once that was mapped out to the underlying concepts, you could get to his insights.

He had a statement, and I don't remember the orignal phrasing because it involved puch cards and what not, but it reduced down to

"show me the data structure and flows of your design, and I will know the logic of the code using it"

That turned the way I read the code of others on it's head.

And ... reaching 3 feet to my right ... between Code Complete and Death March, I have the 1995 "Anniversary edition with 4 new chapters". It's possibly the only book I have tagged with my name and address.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

> ability of technology to magically fix things via "silver bullets"

But now we have object orientation rational rose agile dev-ops cloud, so everything's fixed

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"But now we have object orientation rational rose agile dev-ops cloud blockchain, so everything's fixed"

FTFY. <g>

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well

If he were identical twins, they would've died in 1976

12. Bitsminer Silver badge

A possible correction?

I just spent a billion dollars educating you; I'm not letting you go now!...

I seem to recall this was a line in the autobiography of Thomas Watson Jr.("Father, Son & Co, My Life at IBM and Beyond"). He was running the IBM 901 vacuum tube machine product in the 1950s -- design and manufacture. The product was a dud, nobody bought it, so the product was cancelled.

Sr. refused Thomas Watson Jrs resignation with the line ("I just spent $100 million training you, you can't quit now!")

Perhaps I don't remember it correctly....

13. F. Frederick Skitty Silver badge

I first came across Fred Brooks and "The Mythical Man Month" thanks to another computing luminary that passed away a short while ago. That luminary was Brad Cox, creator of the Objective-C programming language and author of "Object Oriented Programming: An Evolutionary Approach", which introduced OOP to a much wider audience. In that book, Cox described how so many people were looking for a "silver bullet" that would provide a quantum leap in programming, and how it was unlikely to happen - hence his description of OOP as "evolutionary" rather than "revolutionary". The "silver bullet" was a reference to Fred Brooks' seminal paper "No Silver Bullet" and lead me to read MMM. Brooks and Cox, both greats of computing that will be sorely missed.

14. steamnut

Cheers

As an ex-IBM employee that worked on the hardware, and later the software, of IBM 360's and 370's a big hats off to a legend. As well as the concept of the byte let's not forget EBCDIC.

I still have my copy of his book too.

15. that one in the corner Silver badge

MMC light brown edition

Was required reading at Uni; a copy of the anniversary edition sits on the shelf above my monitor (next to all the important books, like Dan Dare reprints - the other computing books sit to the side, in places of less reverence).

You despair that most PMs haven't read this? When I worked for a PM software company there was my copy and, IIRC, only one other programmer who'd read it! And the dev team was outnumbered by the PMs who went out to customer sites, as well as handling us. A great bunch of people but sometimes...

Farewell to Fred, glad to see that his work is available as PDF so we can make sure that everyone gets their own copy.

16. disgruntled yank

For further reading.

For those wishing to read more of the man's history in his own words, there is https://archive.computerhistory.org/resources/access/text/2012/11/102658255-05-01-acc.pdf .

17. gdeek
    Thumb Up

Peopleware

Is also another classical read, it has the concept of body time, i.e.you can spend in excess of 40 hours of your desk but your productivity is at a declining rate so the amount of work achieved is greatly reduced

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Re: Peopleware

Can we forward a copy to Elon with that passage highlighted?

Anyway, RIP Fred.

18. Stephen Wilkinson
    Pint

I read Software Engineering Management at university and Mythical Man-Month was one of the core project management books so I've read it many times. It was novel in that it was a good read unlike many text books which helped of course.

Just to make myself feel old, my edition was the 20th anniversary edition and that was 26 years ago!

I will raise a glass tonight.

RIP Fred.

19. J.G.Harston Silver badge

I first read MMM at university in the 1980s, and halfway in I was amazed by a Heinlein extract that I'd read just a few weeks earlier, clearly describing process management fourty years earlier. The best bit:

Engineer: Sorry, I dozed off.

Boss: That's why I got you a couch. If ever you're tired, lock the office door and have a nap.

A master quoting another master.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Under Brooks' direction, OS/360 did finally ship. It changed the direction of the computer industry, introducing the idea of software compatibility across different hardware models. "

Not to mention that its extended gestation period gave a number of alternative operating systems time and space to appear, from the IBM stopgap DOS (which "stopgap" lived at least to the 1990s AFAIK) to the various timesharing operating systems by a number of universities, as well as IBM's own efforts - I admit to being quite hazy on IBM operating systems and their histories, but recall reading that IBM's VM (z/VM?) also originally being a somewhat "unofficial" 1960s effort, and some customers even forking their own operating systems from the freely-available source code. Or something like that. And was Multics also somehow successful due to IBM's struggles?

I used to lurk on alt.folklore.computers at one point but my own memory bits seem to be less than perfectly preserved...

1. QuiteEvilGraham
      Pint

DOS lives on as z/VSE and z/VM is very much alive and well too.

Back in the day, when we had all the source, there was quite the industry of various software companies enhancing things in the IBM mainframe world. Mostly enhancements. Move mode DOS transient programs made DOS run like a train, and wasn't an IBM thing, and they were slow to the table with a spooler (IRC GRASP came first before Power from IBM became the de facto).

Of course, many of these useful things disappeared into the maw of, variously, BMC, Computer Associates and IBM themselves.

That said, it was a great time to be in the mainframe business. Still is, if you know what you are doing.

RIP Fred. TMMM is still the best book I've ever read on the subject of getting stuff working and out the door.

I'll raise a glass.

21. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

LIke "Peopleware"...

An epic book, much more heard about than actually read.

Forget the technology details.

Technology changes. Human nature does not. The flaws in human nature that caused project delays and failure then are still with us today. :-(

And in view of his beliefs let me mis-quote Johnny Cash.

"He spoke to me with a voice so still. "Fred, go do my will."'

22. RJW

Reading of the book "The Mythical Man-Month" should be mandatory reading for every project manager, in fact anyone in software development.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like