back to article ISS resupply drops off experiments for life in deep space

SpaceX's 26th commercial resupply mission to the International Space Station arrived this weekend, bringing with it a bundle of scientific experiments to further prepare humans for life beyond Earth. Before we enter an age that could see people trek to the stars and become an interplanetary species, we'll first have to address …

1. gecho

Private Space Labs

I imagine the red tape and lead time for getting an experiment flown on the ISS is rather spectacular. We should see a (metaphorical) explosion in research once the private space stations launch. The uncrewed New Shepherd flights always seemed to be flying a bunch of experiments, which made me wonder how much science you could do in a few minutes of microgravity.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Private Space Labs

The only disadvantage of private space companies is that we will eventually end up with a large Coca Cola sign in orbit or on the moon.

Someone will eventually do this.

1. that one in the corner Silver badge
        Coat

We are safe, just so long as none of the advertising execs read SF, as those crazy fools keep working out exactly how to scrawl ads over the skies and heavenly bodies - and then the idiots *publish* the instructions!

Icon: pass over the one with a moon in the pocket, it has the word "Chair" burnt on it; must get around to finishing that. Yes, they are large pockets.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

If I even make a million I'll donate it to the first astronaut who draws a big enough dick pick in the moon dust for it to be visible from Earth.

(note: I'm actually saving up for my second million. I've given up on the first).

2. Mike 137 Silver badge

"Before we enter an age that could see people trek to the stars "

We'll have to find some way to extend human life span long enough to get there, even supposing the destination we observed before we set off still exists when we arrive1 (some 103x years later as a minimum). The short term issues are nothing compared with these two fundamental problems.

1: e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillars_of_Creation section: Theorized destruction

1. 42656e4d203239 Silver badge

Re: "Before we enter an age that could see people trek to the stars "

>We'll have to find some way to extend human life span long enough to get there,

Generation ships have long been a feature of SF... no need to extend lifespan when you plan to have several generations of space travellers on board.

Of course, making a practical generation ship is... err.... tricky?... but not impossible, and probably cheaper than extending human life span.

3. DJO Silver badge

The solar panels roll out using stored kinetic energy

Couldn't bring themselves to say "spring loaded" could they?

1. Mike 137 Silver badge

Re: The solar panels roll out using stored kinetic energy

For several decades now, scientists have been effectively barred from using plain English if they want to get published. Probably for the same reason doctors used to use Latin -- the mystery must be preserved.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
        Boffin

Springs are obviously too high-tech for my brain this early in the morning: my first thought was elastic bands!

1. DJO Silver badge

From ESA about DART:

The deployment happens in two stages: the first part takes place about five minutes after separation and is spring-driven, unfolding the solar arrays to about 40% within four minutes. The second part is motorised, and will fully extend the solar arrays.

Having proved the concept with DART and this being smaller it is probably completely spring driven.

Elastic bands might have problems with the range of temperatures they'd be exposed to in space.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

I think elastic bands are only used in geostationery deployment.

:)

2. Paul Kinsler

Re: Couldn't bring themselves to say "spring loaded" could they?

I think if I was going to say "stored kinetic energy", I'd have to be referring to something like a spinning flywheel. Spring loaded would mean (stored) elastic potential energy.

4. that one in the corner Silver badge

Moon Microscope?

And everyone, from NASA down, is going to studiously ignore the fact that the case clearly reads "Mini Me"?

Worried that we're going to do something unseemly, like demand to know when the ISS is getting sharks with frickin' lasers attached to their spacesuits?

1. Totally not a Cylon
      Boffin

Re: Moon Microscope?

Potentially worse is the bit labelled "Do not even try to remove".....

We've all got the stories about what happens when a 'smart person' sees such a label.

5. David Hicklin Bronze badge

Serious Medical Emergencies

Whilst not wishing anything bad to happen to interplanetary trekkers but one hopes that have some plans for when someone becomes really seriously ill or injured, or are they just considering an acceptable loss ratio and hey lets go and bang the rocks together and give birth (if they do it that way) to a replacement?

So many things to consider

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
      Go

Re: Serious Medical Emergencies

The Cave Johnson motivational method.

https://youtu.be/wX9Sc88qreg

6. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

"It's also possible future NASA missions may not include a medical doctor; and even if they do, equipment will be limited."

According to Sod's law, the medic will be the first to get sick, and possibly die.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like