back to article Intel hit with $948.8 million VLSI infringement verdict

VLSI Technology, a patent holding company affiliated with Softbank's Fortress Investment Group, has been awarded $948.8 million in a patent infringement claim against Intel Corporation. On Tuesday, a federal jury in the Western District of Texas, a popular venue for patent claims, found that Intel's Cascade Lake and Skylake …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do as I say, not as I do.

Didn't Gelsinger just transfer some patents to separate entity to monetise them

Found it, last paragraph.

https://www.theregister.com/2022/10/17/samsung_tsmc_in_us_patent/

1. NeilPost

Re: Do as I say, not as I do.

Intel a Patent Troll - never !

2. stiine Silver badge
    Coat

A VLSI or the VLSI?

Very Large Scale Infringement?

1. druck Silver badge

Re: A VLSI or the VLSI?

VLSI were one of the founding partners of ARM. When did they turn in to patent trolls?

1. NeilPost

Dunno, but following the behaviour or of another ARM scaling up partner (Apple).

ARM (as in technology) was founded at Acorn (as in BBC Micro manufacturer) Computers.

ARM Limited was the JV between Acorn, Apple and VLSI… well before Apple had to flog their share (with great irony) when John (Pepsi) Scully shat the bed @Cupertino when they almost went bankrupt.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I think VLSI got sold to Philips, of which the semiconductor division was spun off as NXP. So it's not the same entity anymore. So this "VLSI" is a completely different company using the same name.

3. Grunchy Silver badge

Bah, already sold all my INTC

However, conventional wisdom advises to buy on rumour & sell on news.

Short position, then? What does the peanut gallery suggest.

4. CrackedNoggin Bronze badge

US7606983B2 "Sequential ordering of transactions in digital systems with multiple requestors "

A digital system with an improved transaction ordering policy is disclosed. Individual occurrences of requests for access to common system resources specify whether or not the request is ordered. In some embodiments, the invention includes a memory that holds data, a controller, and at least two processors that generate requests to access the memory data. Each access request includes an indication of whether or not this request is to be performed in a sequential order among other access requests and, if so, an indication of the order. The controller receives the access requests from each processor, determines a performance order for the requests, and provides the access requests to the memory in the performance order. The performance order conforms to the specified order when the access requests so indicate.

I can't believe this is a patent that a court would uphold as being non-obvious,

1. drankinatty

RaspberryPi Pico is in deep-yogurt then... (or pick any device, not just to pick on Pico...)

Pick any device that has multiple cores and multiple or segmented memory -- that patent (in the description provided above) is vague enough to apply to them all. However, a further read of the patent adds additional details for the scheme used at ordering the processing of the data -- that seems to be where the argument lay for VLSI and Intel. (the idea that NPE's actually suffer harm, or the corrupting design of patent aggregators -- is a whole different issue that needs to be addressed)

How far we have come (fallen) from the original 17 year grant of exclusivity to the "inventor" to market his invention....

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: RaspberryPi Pico is in deep-yogurt then... (or pick any device, not just to pick on Pico...)

That's the thing. You can't use the summary to evaluate the patent. The summary is there to help people decide whether the patent might apply to some instance. You have to read the primary claims to see if there's anything not obvious to an ordinary practitioner (which is the standard).

2. NeilPost

I’m sure (like most Project Managers) the judge leaned-in and said ‘Sorry, I’m not technical’.

3. Bonzo_red

That is a generalized summary of the patent, not the claimed scope of protection, which reads, for example, "a system for processing information, the system comprising: a memory configured to hold data; at least two processors, each configured to perform operations, and to generate an access request when one of the operations involves access to the data, wherein each access request includes an indication of whether or not this occurrence of the access request is to be performed in a sequential order among other occurrences of the access request and, if so, an indication of a specified order; and a controller configured to receive the access requests from each of the processors, to determine a performance order for the access requests, and to provide the access requests to the memory in the performance order, wherein the performance order conforms to the specified order when the access requests indicate the specified order."

5. Lordrobot

One more reason why INTEL FAB will fail ... they steal your ideas...

I thought Ole Pat was some evangelical born-again religious right-winger... What about Thou shalt not Steal? Intel slipping into the moral abyss.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like