back to article BOFH: Don't be nervous, Mr Consultant. Come right this way …

BOFH logo telephone with devil's horns "Simon, Stephen, this is Gerard, Daniel, David and, uhhh, Karl." The Boss adds: "They're the implementation team for the new financial system rollout and just want to do some preliminary planning." "What new financial system?" I ask. "What rollout?" the PFY asks. "The financial system …

1. Maverick
    Pint

happy Friday

to everyone!

1. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge
      Thumb Up

Re: happy Friday

Indeed. My day just got better with this eppysode.

2. Brett Weaver

What? You wanted History loaded?

You want historical transactions available in your new system?

A rare and novel concept indeed!

Tell you what, we've had a talk with our techies and they can get the data loaded if you format the data into this CSV file with about 2600 columns. They have put useful column headings (limited to 8 characters) above each one so you will know what to put where.

Otherwise you will have to write a program which keys all of your transactions into our system via the pretty web interface..

Another great episode, and for me, timely.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What? You wanted History loaded?

Christ, you’ve obviously dealt with ERP vendor we used; spreadsheets was their actual data take on method!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Oracle ERP has a similar process. I seem to also recall they have a fancy multi word multi syllable product name that translates to "Spreadsheet Uploader".

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Of if you have one of my more 'independent thinking' clients:

"Sage 100 for DOS is living on borrowed time and doesn't work properly with the latest version of Windows so we're going to upgrade to Sage 200"

<upgrade occurs>

<time passes>

"We've got a problem with Sage 100, we can't find a machine that it'll run on any more"

"But you've upgraded to Sage 200"

"We still need to run Sage 100 for the historic data as it would have cost too much to have it converted"

1. Slow Joe Crow

I feel some of your pain, as a client has asked me to import more 10 year old stuff from the old Sage 100 they said was no longer needed into newer Sage 100. At least both are on the same Windows server and there's a slow but reliable tool

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Could be worse, they could be running a version of Sage licensed for 1 computer on 2 computers by transferring the license between them and restoring backups. I stepped away and refused to support them.

3. Blane Bramble

Amateurs. You need to export your data into ONE column, all converted to fixed length strings and concatenated together.

That's the proper way to do it.

3. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge
    Thumb Up

Going forward, all meetings must have lagers and pies/nibbles for BOFHs and PFYs.

That's the only way meetings will/can be remembered/recalled.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge
      Pint

You forgot something.

NFT

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: You forgot something.

Non-Fungible Toasties ?

1. tezboyes

Re: You forgot something.

Personally I don't care whether my toasties are with or without mushroom.

2. tezboyes

Remembered as in reminded for attendance.

But never recalled ...

4. Ozan
    Facepalm

I miss the columnists. It's not just same with only BOFH around.

1. chivo243 Silver badge
      Pint

Have a nice weekend! Here's Dabbsy! https://autosaveisforwimps.substack.com/p/how-my-batch-process-nightmare-was

1. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge
      2. Adrian 4
    2. steelpillow Silver badge
      Pirate

"I miss the columnists. It's not just same with only BOFH around."

So with all the others gone, how long can our BOFH last?

And if that is the case, will he nevertheless manage to outlast the no doubt imminent demise of Vulture Central and all who sail in her? I have noticed that the prices of quicklime and surplus carpet rolls are increasing sharply...

1. chivo243 Silver badge
        Unhappy

So with all the others gone, how long can our BOFH last?

On today's, on the go, up and coming El Reg? By my calculations, don't look for the BOFH in 2023... not here on El Reg, or should we be calling it Reg.com now?? Should Simon have the will to continue, perhaps he could join Dabbsy over at stubstack?

1. Toni the terrible Bronze badge

Is Elon Musk taking over Vulture Central as well as Twitter? and what will the BOFH do to him?

1. stiine Silver badge

End up as VP with a seat on the board?

2. spuck

thrgistr.com - remove the "e" for Web 3.0 hipstr compliance.

Dot Com ? What are you - some sort of bank or something?

You're so un-hip it's a wonder your bum doesn't fall off.

It will be thrgistr.<something in unicode that doesn't render in any known browser>

3. T. F. M. Reader

@Ozan: "I miss the columnists. It's not just same with only BOFH around."

Not just that. Am I the only one who connects El Reg's shift to Colonial spelling with a distinct lack of real action on the part of the BOFH and the PFY recently? As opposed to threats and innuendos, effective though they may be?

BOFH doesn't really work on the other side of the pond.

Over there if the BOFH offends a luser - they just come in the next day with an AR15 and kill everyone.

Undeniably effective, but lacks a certain narrative flair

5. chivo243 Silver badge
    Pint

What an elegant passage

I open it a crack to let the horror trickle out in the Boss's direction.

One can only think that this horror must be some sort of curse...

6. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Thumb Up

And even the sun is shining

Looks like a great start to the day.

OK, so I'm late getting up, but BOFH at breakfast is always a good way to start the day.

1. Anonymous Custard
      Pint

Re: And even the sun is shining

Beer, bhaji's and BOFH - breakfast of champions...

7. Terje

I believe the boss may be subject of experiments in carbon sequestering after this (burry the charred remains in a landfill) after something like this...

8. s. pam Silver badge
    IT Angle

should we call time on the BoFH?

As a very long time reader of the BoFH (even before el Reg) I am wondering if its getting past time for the BoFH?

1. Dave K

Re: should we call time on the BoFH?

No, no it isn't.

2. juice

> As a very long time reader of the BoFH (even before el Reg)

Ah, the days of telling students to walk around while holding a floppy high in the air...

> I am wondering if its getting past time for the BoFH?

Do you have any particular reason for this musing?

I mean, it probably won't reduce the probability that there's now an old roll of carpet and some quicklime lined up for you, but it might act as a form of explanation...

3. Mark 85

As a very long time reader of the BoFH (even before el Reg) I am wondering if its getting past time for the BoFH?

Blasphemy, sir. Sheer Blasphemy!!! Are you by perchance management?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Coat

"Are you by perchance management?"

He's probably a Trumper[*] sowing discord.

[*] As opposed to a Republican. They aren't all Trumpers :-)

1. Adrian 4

> [*] As opposed to a Republican. They aren't all Trumpers :-)

They are. Through inaction and tolerance, they empower him.

All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Though I have no evidence of any good men anywhere in US politics, except perhaps Bernie.

1. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
            Holmes

> "I have no evidence of any good men anywhere in US politics"

Perhaps Hillary should have been elected then.

2. the Jim bloke
            Meh

All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

.. due to global supply chain issues, Republicans, Democrats, and unaffiliated citizens will also need to make an effort..

4. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge
      WTF?

Not gonna downvote you because I believe everyone's entitled to their own opinion. But seriously!?! Such heresy cannot stand! You probably shouldn't stand near any openable windows for the next few months...

1. M.V. Lipvig Silver badge

I did downvote because, everyone is entitled to their opinion. And I've been following the BOFH since the mid 1990s. Don't even remember where I stumbled across him, it's been so long, other than I was working mids by myself in the wee hours.

If The Reg kicks Simon to the curb, I'll head to wherever he lands. He's the only reason I come to this site at all.

5. doublelayer Silver badge

Why, though? I think it's aged well, with modern articles still being relevant and enjoyable. If you don't like it, I'm curious what you see as changed since you appear to have been a fan for quite a while. The most logical complaint I can guess is that it got repetitive, but I find that the articles are a lot less repetitive than certain comments advocate (those people who think someone needs to be killed in every episode, for example). I could see some ways it could be taken in a bad direction, but I don't think those have happened or are likely to as long as Simon remains in control. Your question implies that you have critiques, and I'd be interested to hear your views.

6. choleric
      Childcatcher

Is that a LART I see?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Been there, done that

It's been mentioned here before, but I worked for a company which had a billing system almost literally made out of string and sellatape; it consisted of a dozen scripts of varying levels of robustness, with dependencies between several of them.

Which meant that if bits of this "process" fell over, then we had to stop everything and manually clean up the issues before being able to restart the process at whatever point it had gotten to.

For the most part though (and partly via some surreptitious patches sneaked past the overly risk-averse change-control board) things had gotten to a relatively stable point. Though there were also concerns that with ongoing growth of the customer base, that we'd eventually hit a point where the old system would be physically unable to complete all transactions within a single day.

So naturally, the billing team decided that it was time for a brand new billing system with all the bells and whistles. I even got told off at one point, for trying to make improvements to the old billing scripts which would improve performance, since by doing so, I was weakening the business case for the new system!

And so a project was launched, based on technology from one of the usual mega-corps, and which was to be built from scratch by an outsourced/offshore dev team with no prior experience of working on our legacy billing platform.

Oddly, things didn't quite go to plan.

They were still trying to get it up and running for a couple of years after I left that company - putting it at least 3 years behind the original schedule - and even when it shuddered into life, they still had to keep the old billing platform running alongside it for validation and backup purposes.

I was even told at one point that while they were trying to get the new system enabled, there was serious talk around dusting off some of the patches which I hadn't managed to get through the approval process, to try and keep the old system up and running.

A good two years after I'd left said company...

1. Mark 85

Re: Been there, done that

...since by doing so, I was weakening the business case for the new system!

Ah... someone's raises and bonus along with possibly some kickback from the vender were at risk.

2. Adrian 4

All companies have this.

Between programmers not wanting to be seen dead in the beancounting department and beancounters thinking they can outcount anyone else, it's as inevitable as it's eventual spiral into failure.

3. l8gravely

And of course if you've made any type of change in the standard ERP process flow to match how YOU do your billing, you're in for a world of hurt when it comes to upgrade to the next major version. Ouch, all those customization costs will come back in triplicate.

If you got the SAP/Oracle/whatever route, don't customize a damn thing besides the logo and address.

10. John Riddoch

Consultants from the Dogbert school: https://dilbert.com/strip/2002-02-15

11. RyokuMas
    Thumb Up

It's been too long...

I still use the BofH standby of "put them all in a room with a sock and a half-brick each" explanation of how to deal with conflicting project managers to this day.

Nice to see that basics sch as bricks still feature. Too bad halon suppression is no longer a thing...

12. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

not a

keyboard killer today..... but very grin worthy none the less

Also it gives me ideas about getting my PFY to sit in on meeetings with the latest tool salesperson to dare pass the dread portal(the front door of the factory)

Which also reminds me to see about getting a new carpet for the meeting room............. and my office for that matter....

I wonder if I should be worried....

13. mhs1973

the other side

Believe it or not, yes, there is the other side of that equation.

Imagine a sales team, if you will, that promises the customer an all inclusive solution.

And they then sign a contract to that effect.

And then you, the Devops people, sometimes a few, sometimes just one, have to make it happen.

You say that does not exist? search for the "real unicorns have curves" I dare you.

Yes, the grey one. That's it.

The eyes are the sales team.

The body is the look of the code of your software.

And you, you are the soles of those dainty feet.

1. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: the other side

The solution to this is to have the tech people from both sides do a preliminary examination of what will be needed. Don't let sales just write a contract without knowing what work needs to be done or what money needs to be paid.

It's an issue in either direction, although the example in the article is usually worse because it indicates that the business is one of those whose business plan is hiding charges from customers until it's too late to change course, which is justifiably hated. I presume there are contractors who use that as their business model (I've not had to run a transfer like this, fortunately for me), but I've certainly seen other businesses who take advantage of this tactic. The ones who quote you a price, and you find it acceptable, and the legal paperwork that you get to see doesn't mention other costs, but when you're just about done with that, they bring out the other fees.

1. tezboyes

Re: the other side

Contractors, no - though I would differentiate them from Consultancies (and similar) who do it all the time.

As for Sales, well like Procurement, Beancounters and the ones with the coloured crayons, keep them in their own lane!

14. Blackjack Silver badge

Wish this was as easy in real life, because there is probably canceling fees...

Also these guys have houses instead of renting? They must be loaded!

1. Montreal Sean

@Blackjack

The BOFH and PFY weren't canceling the contract, just negotiating terms.

If the consultants weren't happy with the new terms, that's their problem. :)

15. earl grey
    Pint

the solution

turn the naysayers loose with the robots. done and done.

16. xyz Silver badge

IMHO..

Every business/org/whatever has millions of quids of servers'n'stuff or cloudiness'n'stuff invested and at the bum end, everything is held together by CSV files...

Just been through 3 weeks of AI, CI, AWS, <any product mentioned in the article>, yada yada and under it all is many CSV files lumbering about like incontinent dinosaurs.

It's getting embarrassing.

1. l8gravely

Re: IMHO..

At least they're not YAML format....

17. choleric
    Happy

superb, again

"Just give him a moment while he folds the paper …"

Ah, Simon, I hope they are paying you millions!

18. FeRDNYC

And just like that...

the existing financial system is suddenly deemed "good enough". Funny how you never appreciate what you don't need until the cost of obtaining it is transformed* into units of bodily harm.

* - (free of charge!)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like