back to article AMD grows Epyc datacenter share, loses to Intel generally

AMD has grown its share in the server processor market against Intel once again, though the chip designer lost out to its much larger rival in the broader x86 market. The Epyc slinger's server CPU share grew 3.6 points to 17.5 percent against Intel in the third quarter from the previous three months, marking its 14th …

1. Jou (Mxyzptlk) Silver badge

Time for another antitrust lawsuit against intel

The products are fine, but I suspect again an Intel vendor lock in via "don't sell AMD or you won't get chips - but offer a small percentage of AMD CPUs in your products as alibi!"

1. Aitor 1

Re: Time for another antitrust lawsuit against intel

This time increased prices also were important.

Plus both sides are losing market to arm processors in the data center.

Is Intel using their weight to pressure vendors? Probably. They have done it in the past, and the fines are miniscule compared to the gains.

1. Jou (Mxyzptlk) Silver badge

Re: Time for another antitrust lawsuit against intel

ARM is an interesting topic, they might nuke themself into meaninglessness if they go through with their new license scheme. Wouldn't be the first "better than x86" architecture to disappear due to bad top-down decisions.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I fear a self inflicted wound this time

There has been a clear pattern with the ODMs using the threat of AMD to beat up Intel on pricing. Not that Intel wouldn't, (it already has after all) but it no longer has that kind of leverage. If it tried the ODMs could eat them alive. So I expect that is why there were plenty of 500-700$ laptops running around even when Intels yields were in the crapper, even when the list price for cpu's was throught the roof.

Customer demand is now driving AMD uptake, not price, and Intel seems willling to bleed a bit to slow AMDs growth. Still dirty pool, but less likely to end up with a billion dollar settlement from one of the big ODMs. NVIDIA seems like the one throwing weight around recently, and we are seeing the revolt of some of their long time manufacturing partners as a result.

Though if Intel gets caught with it's hand in the cookie jar again, I hope they cut it off this time. They skated on the previous case because a former Intel guy dropped the suit against his former employer. I doubt the current leadership would do the same, and they have the money to spend on lawyers.

2. Grogu yoda

AMD is your God / Father's Brand. Borg Intel makes them for your God.

Them Mac M1 ARM processors, Sony makes them, including Qualcomm.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like