back to article Tesla rival Rivian posts losses of $1.7b, with worse to come

Electric carmaker Rivian is reporting more trouble – this time it's the loss of $1.7 billion in Q3 alone, although the biz said it has enough cash on hand for three more years of business.  In its Q3 earnings report, Rivian said its losses primarily stemmed from material costs increasing due to inflation, the termination of …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They make the most beautiful trucks

I really want one

1. Ace2 Silver badge

Re: They make the most beautiful trucks

I saw one in a parking lot. They’re definitely unusual. IMO far enough outside of normal that it’s going to hurt their sales.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    WTF?

F**k me. 12 years to *start* producing an EV....

And a metric f**kload of cash has gone down this hole.

If Amazon love them so much why don't the great-and-bald-leader just buy them outright?

I think the icon sums up my polite scepticism.

1. Robert Grant

Re: F**k me. 12 years to *start* producing an EV....

That's not surprising. Tesla has done something close to miraculous; we can't judge any other company by their standard.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

And there were plenty of moments in time during which many thought Tesla was done for, although that might just be analysts being analysts. However, it did take Tesla seven years to get to the Model S and 13 years to get to the Model 3, with high volume production even later than that.

Setting up a car company turns out to be pretty tricky!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It took Tesla ~11 years to get to these numbers.

They aren't really doing so much worse.

3. fandom

Amazon already own about 20% of Rivian.

3. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Joke

A Steering wheel?

...due to an issue that could cause the steering wheel to fall off.

Something no doubt Musk would like to eliminate from the Tesla range.

A Handbag[Steering wheel]?

The Importance of being Earnest[Elon]

With apologies to Oscar Wilde

1. Robert Grant

Re: A Steering wheel?

To miss one Autopilot deadline is unfortunate...

2. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: A Steering wheel?

So long as the front doesn't fall off...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

From their report if I read correctly, expenses were just over $4 billion per year. So, Musk could have bankrolled them for 10 years for the same amount he flushed away for Twaddle.

1. Robert Grant

If we reallocate paper money enough times we could pay for everything a million times over!

(If that's how money worked, we wouldn't need money any more.)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All worship at the high altar of the Leccy Car Goddess

Our Lady of excited electrons save us from market forces, smite our petrochemical enemies!!

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Happy

Re: All worship at the high altar of the Leccy Car Goddess

And, what might be her name?

Nicola!

6. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

"administrative costs also grew considerably"

Cars are insanely difficult to sell. There are costly destructive tests, certifications, warranties, recall tracking, parts suppliers, repair manuals, service centers, deliveries, showrooms, test drives, financing, advertising, configuration and customization, ...

It all makes software seem easy. My crashes, stalls, and destructive tests cost nothing while they're in a development environment.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: "administrative costs also grew considerably"

For a lot of software, crashes, stalls, and destructive tests don't seem to cost the vendor/maintainer anything when they're in a production environment, either.

7. ComputerSays_noAbsolutelyNo Silver badge
    Headmaster

Reality, anybody?

"The one bright spot for Rivian came in the form of the 1,000 electric delivery vans it has shipped to Amazon which are now making deliveries in 100 US cities. Amazon also announced plans to buy an additional 100,000 of the vehicles, but at current production pace it'll take some time for all of those to be built.

Rivian and Mercedes-Benz also recently announced a partnership to produce commercial and private electric vans, which Rivian said in a press release would involve the pair producing electric vans on common assembly lines. Amazon electric delivery vehicles weren't mentioned in connection to the Mercedes-Benz deal.

But could the Mercedes-Benz partnership actually end up harming Rivian? It all depends on whether it can find a path to profitability, or at least a path to appearing as an attractive acquisition."

How should one read one these paragraphs, and not end up convinces that there's a massive delusion going on?

So, they have a potential customer for vans, which they are currently not able to be producing. That's heading into vapour-ware territory in my mind.

On the other hand, they have an actual car manufacturer as a partner for producing vans. How could this possibly be a bad thing for Rivian?

If anything, I would see risk of badness for the Mercedes.

Maybe, I'm just to old, grumpy and grey to make sense of today's news anymore.

1. LybsterRoy Silver badge

Re: Reality, anybody?

==So, they have a potential customer for vans, which they are currently not able to be producing. That's heading into vapour-ware territory in my mind.==

Its about equivalent to Amazon dispatching things by Hermes (whatever their name is this week)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RIvian and Mercedes Benz working together sounds odd. Mercedes already makes the "eVito" and the "eSprinter", so it's not as if they're trying to fill a gap in the range of vehicles they sell. It could be that they're planning a re-vamp of one or both of those designs to fully take advantage of the electric powertrain.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Maybe Amazon wants to buy "american made" (or wants to avoid the PR created by buying "Mercedes" branded vans, so they made a marketing deal where Amazon buys Rivian branded eVito's or eSprinters and where the "american made bit is them screwing on the Rivian badge after shipping the vans to the US?

8. Charlie Clark Silver badge

China is in the rear view mirror

The Chinese EV market is crucial for any of these companies (Tesla's "profitability" depends heavily on carbon credits). Unfortunately for both Tesla and Rivian, the market isn't that hot at the moment but, more importantly, the battery makers and car manufacturers have largely caught up in the engineering, battery tech (actually, they probably lead there already) and software.

1. LeFooly

Re: China is in the rear view mirror

Tesla does not rely on regulatory credits for their profitability at all. In Q3 of this year, Tesla’s revenue for the quarter was $21.4 billion, of which $286 million was from regulatory credit sales. That’s about 1 percent of their revenue that they brought in for the quarter. They also turned a profit of $3.6 billion, so if you want to only apply regulatory credit sales to their profitability, it only makes up 8 percent of Q3 profit.

Even if you take away that $286 million in credit sales, Tesla was still more profitable than Toyota and many other legacy automakers. I think you should actually look at a balance sheet from Tesla’s recent quarters, as you wouldn’t have made the mistake to believe that they rely on regulatory credit sales for profit. It’s an outdated argument against Tesla that is completely invalid.

Also, the “car manufacturers” have not largely caught up to Tesla. Tesla’s automotive margins are industry leading at almost 30 percent, while say, Ford’s gross margins on their BEVs are in the single digits or even negative. If Tesla cuts prices, they’d have a lot of margin to work with. But if Ford had to, then do the math and you’d understand how crazy things are. It makes sense when you acknowledge that Tesla has been doing nothing but BEVs for the past 19 years, while legacy automakers like Toyota have downplayed BEVs for many, many years and focused mainly on ICE vehicles.

No one is touching Tesla in software, save for a couple of Chinese BEV makers like NIO. Toyota, the largest automaker by volume, is garbage at software and is quite literally scrambling right now, eyeing how Tesla has brought their cost to produce BEVs down so much to the point that Tesla is the most profitable mass producer of vehicles, ICE or BEVs. Chinese EV makers are following Tesla’s manufacturing techniques and design language, putting further pressure on legacy automakers. Jeep just went bankrupt in China. This is because they don’t sell any BEVs, and Chinese consumers that bought Jeeps in the past are now buying EVs from NIO, Tesla and other BEV makers.

9. J. Cook Silver badge

Personally, I'd buy a rivian before a tesla, although I'll be happy enough test driving one at the moment. Still a little too new for me to fully trust..

10. jamesb2147
    Pint

Sell car ??? Profit!!!

They seem to actually be really good at making cars, and selling cars.

What they're terrible at is doing so profitably. They started at the upper end of the market, with relatively small purchases of raw material for their batteries and a high profile executive exit because of disagreements about their ability to turn a profit... then the pandemic hit. Commodity mineral prices are still WAY above normal, and I suspect they're slow-walking ramp-up of production (and further price hikes) in order to try and wait out price drops in the mineral market.

Icon's for the leadership that appears to be drinking on the job (or should be, if they aren't!).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like