back to article Microsoft's grand unified theory of .NET advances a little

Microsoft's unveiling this week of the production release of .NET 7 advances the company's efforts over the past few years to unify the open source development runtime to support multiple architectures and platforms. It also turns a strong eye to the cloud, continuing to extend its presence beyond PC and mobile systems to …

1. Filippo Silver badge

The fact that right-click support has only just been added should speak volumes about the maturity of MAUI as a true unified GUI architecture. Call me when it's a proper replacement for desktop XAML.

1. trevorde Silver badge

Portability is for canoes

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge

The .NET Horror Show

It's just a click to the left, and then a click to the right. Put your hands on your hips, and bring your knees in tight. But it's the .NET click that really drives you insane. Let's do the .NET advance again!

3. karlkarl Silver badge

Annoyingly for the most decent portability, you will be slumming it with WinForms.

I do find this amusing since every vendor / implementation of .NET is owned by Microsoft and yet portability for even some of the more basic areas is fairly weak.

1. Filippo Silver badge

Case in point: .NET Compact. Millions of decades-old devices out there, where the only .NET you have is that - and it works pretty well. However, how do you build an app targeting it? A VS no later than VS 2008. So every time I put together a new work machine, I have to install VS 2008, then cast a whole bunch of arcane spells to make it play nice with the rest of the environment, and pray that everything still works. And every single moving part in this problem is Microsoft. And I say this as a staunch .NET supporter.

4. Fat Guy In A Little Coat

Meanwhile, winforms and WPF keep trudging along.

If they just simply made those cross platform (as much as possible), it would be received much better.

1. sten2012

Is winforms trudging along?

WPF absolutely, but you can always tell a winforms app by the way it doesn't remotely behave on a high dpi display.

And I haven't seen much of that at all lately

1. Fat Guy In A Little Coat

Believe MS has fixed the DPI issues in the later releases; might have to use core.

Although I agree with you, WPF is much better - was ahead of its time, IMO.

Neither get a ton of press, but they're both in new .net releases and get updates.

1. sten2012

Interesting, thanks! I saw some things promising to fix it in teamwork circa 2018 but none made a bit of (beneficial) difference at that time. Haven't looked back since.

Have now given up on winforms much as I love the simplicity as a result of that terrible experience of high dpi screens becoming suddenly a thing that exists (initially macs with retina running windows vm's, then suddenly boom.. Everyone)

WPF was (is!) great but didn't have the nerve when starting a new project in a new language to adopt a new framework. Feel shame to this day about some poor decisions there.

And if neither were cross platform I landed on simple, thinking if it needed to go cross platform I create a second simple UI in QT or something.

2. Grogu yoda

We can get .net 5 to 7 to Work on Our Hackintosh.

However, it's not the Same as Microsoft.

.net 5 to 7 is the Work of the PlayStation and Macintosh guys and Your God / Father.

iOS, Android and Macintosh.

Our Future - Lotus Notes / WordPress for those that can't Program.

ASP / JSP for experts. EJB - SQL is much Faster. Asp.Net / Java Facelets - Requires Higher Network Bandwidth (Communism & Transfer of Wealth from One Region to Other) to create your Broadband Networks.

1. trevorde Silver badge

That made no sense at all. Are you a bot?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like