back to article Musk sells $3.95 billion in Tesla shares, paid eleven times more for Twitter

What's the latest in the life of the world’s richest man? Elon Musk has offloaded almost $4 billion in Tesla stock after buying Twitter, the social media platform that is losing advertisers, money and maybe users. Musk cashed in 19.5 million shares in the electric carmaker between the 4 to 8 November, according to the latest …

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Re: Let's hope – for Musk’s sake – it was all worth it.

Let's not.

2. msknight

Is this going to be a new measurement of expenditure?

$44 billion = 1 Musk

$8 = 1 blue tick

1. TimMaher Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Is this going to be a new measurement of expenditure?

So, if you are into luxury, 1 Musk equates to ~ 100 million Vicuña.

Mine’s the one made out of alpaca. It’s cheaper.

2. Danny 14

we measure our luxury in heating-boost-hour, if we get an overtime bonus we allow ourselves to turn the heating on for an hour.

1. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge
        Trollface

just start Android Studio...

3. TRT Silver badge

I don't see the problem...

Give it a few weeks and that eleven-fold difference will be at parity, surely?

1. Gob Smacked

Re: I don't see the problem...

Yeah. It's all happening in the same time frame. It's probably correlated, but there are lots of reasons why he wants or needs to get some liquidity. Could be money for another upstart venture, reserve to pay future fines.., who knows. A lot happening there

1. Youngone Silver badge

The is no way he's using any of that money for a new venture.

Those Saudis are going to want to get their beaks wet at some point, and they'll be pretty insistent about it too.

Morgan Stanley are likewise not known for walking away from a debt.

1. vtcodger Silver badge

The[re] is no way he's using any of that money for a new venture.

You certainly could be right. On the other hand, Starlink in particular has to be chewing through capital at flank speed. It's possible that it needs a modest loan to make it through until payday -- whenever that is.

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

On the other hand, Starlink in particular has to be chewing through capital at flank speed. It's possible that it needs a modest loan to make it through until payday

I get the feeling SpacX is probably going to be safe, given it's strategic value to the US. I also get the feeling it may end up under new ownership rather soon, if Musk's political usefulness has run it's course. Straight up nationalising is distinctly un-American (and less lucrative) than maybe setting the SEC and/or IRS on Musk, then forcing the sale of SpacX and Starlink to someone more agreeable. If done via Ch.11, would also allow a lot of the debt to be disappeared.

2. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Yeah. It's all happening in the same time frame. It's probably correlated, but there are lots of reasons why he wants or needs to get some liquidity.

I'm curious if it's related to the implosion of FTX, along with it's founder, Sam Bankman-Fried's personal fortune imploding along with it. A while back there was the possibility that SBF was going to chip in $5bn. Or possibly $5bn's 'worth' of FTT, FTX's in-house crypto 'currency'. As the value of FTT seems to be rapidly approaching zero, maybe Musk had to find some real cash (yeh, fiat, but still..) to make up the difference.

I somehow get the feeling lawyers are going to get rather rich (in $, or some more tangible currency or currency equivalent) unravelling all of Musk's transactions, especially when they've involved funny money.

4. Dan 55 Silver badge

Verified is back

This U-turn was predicted by just about everyone.

However just so the billionaire snowflake manchild can pretend that he's not U-turned, a random selection of Verified accounts won't be Official.

1. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
      Devil

Re: Verified is back

I wonder how "random" it will actually be.... I suspect somehow it will include a disproportionate number of people who fail to believe in the supremacy of a certain teak-hued former real estate entrepreneur turned politician...

1. jake Silver badge

If your teak is that colo(u)r you have grounds to sue whoever refinished it for you ...

Trump isn't a politician. He's a bombastic bumbling boob who managed to get elected President after the third try, when he finally figured out which party's electorate (and potential electorate) was the easiest to fool. He had never held public office before, and it showed. I'm shocked that the Republicans still bow and scrape in the useless idiot's presence.

He wasn't much of a real estate developer, either. How many times has he declared bankruptcy?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

A bombastic boob you say?

Why does that ring a bell?

1. jake Silver badge

The difference is that our bob obviously has clues, especially when he's not trolling in the politics department.

2. Sherrie Ludwig
          Pint

@jake, that is the best and most succinct description of TFG (the former guy) I have heard from anyone. Please enjoy ====>

3. Zippy´s Sausage Factory

I wasn't commenting on his proficiency in either profession. He definitely has better lawyers than me, for a start.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. First Light

How much more will he sell?

Tesla shareholders must be getting nervous, if he's the reason for their investments in the company. Selling almost 20 million shares three months after you claimed you wouldn't sell any more is not a good look for a supposed genius inventor/ businessman.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/musk-sells-another-batch-tesla-133550551.html

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: How much more will he sell?

Musk tweets have not matched reality before and Tesla investors did not care. My guess is he is paying off debt secured by Tesla shares. If Tesla stocks fall below a certain value the banks will sell them for him and crash the price further. By selling now before the price bottoms out he can cut his debt, cut interest payments, delay the banks from foreclosing and can use the excuse "need the money for Twitter" instead of "getting out of Tesla before the fans work out how much trouble Tesla is really in".

1. DS999 Silver badge

Obviously SOME Tesla shareholders care because the stock has fallen by more than half since the beginning of the year, with most of the drop since his "I'm gonna buy Twitter" tweet.

They are selling because they think he's too distracted, or by so openly courting one side of the political spectrum he will reduce sales of Teslas to the other side and hurt its long term prospects. I'm not in the market for an electric car but if I was I would be scratching Tesla off the list for that alone, for the same reason I wouldn't buy a pillow from that crazy Trump pillow guy.

1. Dave314159ggggdffsdds Silver badge

No, they're selling because Musk is widely thought to be cashing out of Tesla and buying Twitter because however overvalued Twitter is, it isn't as overvalued as Tesla.

1. Nifty Silver badge

"Cashing out of Tesla and buying Twitter because however overvalued Twitter is, it isn't as overvalued as Tesla"

Got it in one.

1. jake Silver badge

On the other hand, both are obviously WAY overvalued, if in different ways.

Eyeball their P/E ratios when you have a chance.

2. jake Silver badge
          Pint

"for the same reason I wouldn't buy a pillow from that crazy Trump pillow guy."

To be fair, would you buy anything else advertised on late night television?

But yes. Have a beer.

3. Ace2 Silver badge

I bought a used one a month ago and it’s freaking awesome. In my 90% blue city I see more and more of them every week.

Musk is garbage, but the cars are nice and you can actually get one, unlike a lot of the EVs advertised on TV.

I suspect his Loony Toons act is a feint. Liberals were always going to go all-in on EVs. To really take over the auto business he needs to also sell to the rednecks, and he’s a lot more likely to do that today than two years ago.

1. jake Silver badge

"To really take over the auto business he needs to also sell to the rednecks"

Which isn't going to happen. Battery powered pickups are worse than useless.

Ford isn't selling "pickups", per se, what they are selling is grocery-getters to yuppies.

2. Alumoi Silver badge

Yeah, sure, a new Tesla starts at about $44,000 while a Ford truck starts at about $33,000. That's $10,000 worth of petrol difference.

BTW, how do you fill up your Tesla in the middle of nowhere? Last I've checked you can't carry electricity in a can.

3. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Musk is garbage, but the cars are nice

Matter of opinion, I suppose. I think they're awful, starting with that ghastly touchscreen.

But they wouldn't work for my purposes anyway so it's purely academic.

7. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"It no longer publishes monthly data on the number of active users it has"

That, in itself, speaks volumes.

It clearly means that the numbers aren't good and they're being hidden so that people can't see just how bad they are.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: "It no longer publishes monthly data on the number of active users it has"

That's just to attract advertisers:

Want to advertise on Twitter?

Maybe - how many people will see my ad?

We're not going to tell you!

Oooh mysterious, I like that, here take my $$$$$

1. jake Silver badge

"Maybe - how many people will see my ad?"

Ad? What is this thing you call an "ad"?

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

What is this thing you call an "ad"?

It's the extra mobs that turn up when you are doing an EOL boss fight..

2. Lon24

Well I can believe an upsurge in activity last week. Bad news is always good news for social media and Elon is delivering in turds.

I and, I suspect, many others will have re-visited after a long absence to request an archive and add our Mastodon handles. An opportunity to taste how corrupted our timelines have become squeezed, as they are, between ads.

Indeed driving ads away might be Elon's real achievement in improving the UX. Let's hope he doesn't utterly destroy Twitter too quickly. A couple of hundred thousand refugees overwhelmed some of the major Mastodon servers - now slowly recovering. The sudden influx of a couple of million refugees would destroy them. Fast scaling is a real issue. Gradual attrition over time may be the best outcome for all but one.

3. DS999 Silver badge

After Musk railed about how those numbers were inflated, he's probably going to wait for his antics to drive millions of people from Twitter. Then when he makes much lower numbers public he will claim he was right all along and the reason the numbers are low is because he eliminated all the bots, and hide the fact that so many real users have fled.

The best thing though was when he suggested Twitter might move behind a paywall. That would be awesome, hardly anyone would link to Twitter anymore since few would be willing to pay for an account just to read tweets. It would die on the vine and his $44 billion would go up in smoke. The only bad thing is that SOMETHING would replace Twitter, and that something would probably be TikTok which could easily adopt short form messages in addition to the videos.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

well he's made off like a bandit, those shares are over priced about 100 to 1000 times.

Lucky he cashed out before his fanboys, they still haven't realised he's going to leave em holding the bag

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Well that's what you have to remember when you buy a new car company - it loses 40% of its value when you drive it off the lot

9. The Dogs Meevonks Silver badge

I'm Shocked... Well, actually not shocked at all

The userbase is declining... well, if you will insist on banning everyone who hurts your feelings... I imagine there's gonna be about... (looks up Muskrats follower count) about 114k users left.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: I'm Shocked... Well, actually not shocked at all

The userbase was declining before Musk bought the company. He's just accelerated the decline.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Future of Twitter (and Facebook, etc....)

I'm still not sure why anyone would have wanted to buy Twitter right now?

Of course, I have such an aversion to all the generic social media services.. think it may be due to my advanced age.

On the other hand, when I imagine I were still in my teens/twenties... pretty sure I'd be logging on all the time.

( and using smartphone A LOT more... the current me is not a big fan of those either ).

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Future of Twitter (and Facebook, etc....)

I imagine [if] I were still in my teens/twenties... pretty sure I'd be logging on all the time

I'm not sure. Granddaughter Major is not quite to the teens yet, but has a phone and tablet and occasional use of the desktop machine. She does spend some time on FB Messenger Kids exchanging messages with friends, but probably most of her social device use is chatting while playing Minecraft. Her peers, from what I've seen, don't spend a ton of time on social media either. For them, reading and posting on soc-med forums is regarded as more of an adult activity. They'd rather be co-op gaming or similar, if they're online.

11. John Smith 12345

paid eleven times more for Twitter

... than it is worth.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: paid eleven times more for Twitter

Maybe that's just to get to parity with the overvalue of Tesla shares? But they give you at least something tangible.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well... as long as he's distracted by Twitter, Musk has no time to destroy Tesla with his bipolar ways. This must be it, 18D chess!

Musk seems bent on proving that the Peter Principle does not apply to high tech moguls - with tens of billions to waste they can rise *several* levels above their respective incompetence

1. jake Silver badge

What's the fastest way to make a small fortune?

Inherit a large one.

Some people make this happen faster than others, but it's almost inevitable.

2. imanidiot Silver badge

Tesla has been "dead man walking" for a long time now, it's just having some intermediate succes before it drives off a cliff. It's just a wait until they get a class action suit over selling "FSD" packages when they knew (or should have known) that they would never be able to deliver that for those cars, nor within the lifetime of the vehicle. It's very obvious now first and second gen Teslas will never get FSD, even IF it ever becomes available. They simply don't have the hardware. So people who paid for Autopilot/FSD just donated (tens of) thousands of dollars for a fart in the wind that Tesla knew or could have known it would never deliver. No manner of contract lawyerese is going to fix that if it becomes a pattern.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is this a problem?

https://help.twitter.com/en/rules-and-policies/twitter-rules

1. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

Re: Is this a problem?

The content at that link can change at any time. And what specific bit did you reference?

Quote, perhaps?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This, however, might be:

https://nitter.net/elonmusk/status/1589413653190938624

Or at least, it would explain why the press are decidedly Not Happy.

For the record: I wouldn't be happy either with one company gobbling up all the advertising money that publishers are fighting for at the moment (which is in turn the spoils left over by Google & Farcebook), but if that's your problem, say so.

Publishing a one-sided narrative doesn't do anyone any favours.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ah, but here's a fun gotcha that may bite Musk in the balls quite soon:

As a user, Musk could say what he wanted because he was just someone using a public forum. As an owner, what he says becomes the opinion of the company, and THAT can have consequences as a perception of bias may put the company outside the reach of laws that protect content processors for the content their users produce. Musk is no longer as free to waffle in Twitter then he was as a mere user.

I'm just hoping for that reality to eventually hit. No doubt the SEC is already watching.

I'm pretty sure they'll already be building a case file against him.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I was wrong about the SEC. It's the FTC that's already on his case :).

15. withQuietEyes

Tumblr is still open and thriving, if your minds stretch to surrealism in memes. It's not what's It anymore, but the ads aren't targeted and the feed is chronological!

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dig a little deeper in the well, Musk.

Dig a little deeper in the well.

A 45 billion dollar albatross;

Dig a little deeper in the well.

Money well, that is... :)

17. Winkypop Silver badge
    Megaphone

It’s all going swimmingly

Said a drowning man never!

18. ShortStuff

Losing Users .. No .. Kicking Bots

The decline in users is because they are getting rid of the bots, which probably consisted of 50%+ of the "users". They are actually gaining real live users.

Re: Losing Users .. No .. Kicking Bots

You really believe that?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Losing Users .. No .. Kicking Bots

Sure.

Can I interest you in a bridge?

:)

19. MajorDoubt
    WTF?

twitters dead

only the fools will stay on it

20. Dave 126 Silver badge

For several years we've heard about the problems that arise from social media companies being funded by advertising; namely, advertisers want to see evidence of 'engagement' and the easiest way of getting users to engage is to have them outrage each other. It is hard to imagine any advertising business model that doesn't result in this negative behaviour.

Twitter was already a negative force for people's health and happiness. I want to read other peoples opinions (what I really want is to read people's *ideas*, but hey), but I'm frustrated that so much of the current commentary is written as if Twitter and its algorithms have been nothing but good for people.

21. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

Can someone explain

How Twitter ends up being $13Bn in debt for being bought by Musk et al? If it was like a mortgage, so the debt is secured against an asset, I'd get it,. but I don't get how a loss making entity can shoulder debt it can't possibly serve. Help?

22. willyslick

Musk is a a good engineer...negotiator, not so much

One thing I have not seen mentioned much in all the chaos is the way Musk seems to have been completely out-negotiated by his counterparts at Twatter.

They locked ELON in at a historically high share price and somehow he was pursuaded to proceed without the recommended due diligence, which would have at least bought him some time. After signing, he seems to have had caught a quick case of "buyer's remorse" based on information that would have come out in such due dilligence (fake users, bots, etc) - but in the end decided to go through with the sale; which surprised me.

i was expecting him to tie things up in the courts in a war of attrition to try and claw some of his money back in a settlement.

It feels to me in retrospect that he paid far too much for twatter (which was not making money) - since then he has not done much to instill confidence that he knows what he is doing so I expect that with time, he will get cash flow problems due to the debt and difficulty of monetising users, not to mention the loss of advertising revenue, which will be much greater than any savings from cutting the work force, with the associated risk for operations and compliance with the remaining resources.

All in all, while the previous management is out of a job, they are certainly enjoying a windfall from the proceeds of the sale. Not to mention missing out on all the "fun"/stress/80 hour weeks, etc. In retrospect, seems not too bad of a landing for them....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like