back to article All of the norths are about to align over Britain

UK map lords at the Ordnance Survey have some big news for people with obsessive compulsive personality disorder or otherwise like everything to be neatly lined up. Yes, for the "first time in history," the OS says, magnetic north, true north, and grid north are about to align over Britain. OK, what does this mean? How many …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pah. When I was a kid we didn't have all three Norths pointing the same way. If we wanted to know which was was North we'd have to follow the pies. The better they were the "Northier" we were.

1. myithingwontcharge

Pies! Pah. We had to follow old rolled Guardian newspapers. Depending on the angle we knew how far we were from Manchester. But you tell that to kids today and they won't believe you!

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

When I were a lad we thought people who could afford newspapers were posh!! By the time we had found one in the gutter it were too soggy to roll up!

1. UCAP Silver badge

When I was a lad we had to make our ciggies out of soggy copies of the The Sun and third-hand bird droppings salvaged from the tip. If we managed to find a copy of The Mirror we was h'ppy - made much better smokes.

2. katrinab Silver badge
          Windows

When I were a lass, you got some sheets of yesterday's newspaper free with your fish and chips.

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Same place The Sun used to get all its stories, back in the day.

1. Plest Silver badge

When I were a lad...

...we only copy of The Sun we had were torn up into 6 inch squares and hanging in lavvy out back of our house!

2. steelpillow Silver badge

Fish and chips?! You were lucky to 'ave fish and chips! We were thankful if we 'ad an 'andful o' warm gravel to wrap in it!

1. Ivan Headache

You had gravel?

We ‘ad to make our own.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge

Yes, and it's a bugger when you have to smash the rocks up with your bare hands.

1. UCAP Silver badge

Only posh buggers used their hands where I came from, the rest of us broke up rocks with our foreheads.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Only posh buggers used their hands where I came from, the rest of us broke up rocks with our foreheads.

Surely posh buggers would have employed staff to do that sort of thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
                      Anonymous Coward

Oh absolutely, rah! My family had two gravel butlers you know, used little silver sledge hammers to break the harder pieces up. I think one of them had learned their craft at Dartmoor, or some such place. Real expert. Dya know we had to get white gloves specially made to fit his enormous calloused hands? All gone now of course, after father's unforunate and illegal smuggling of powdered chaulk finally caught up with him.

1. Dave559 Silver badge

Bah, back when I were a lad, matter hadn't yet coalesced to form the Earth, so there wasn't a north.

Beat that, you miserable beggars!

1. Anonymous Coward
                          Anonymous Coward

$DEITY here, oh yes there was, I just made it inephiable.

1. Anonymous Coward
                            Anonymous Coward

What a bunch of Yorkshire Men...

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. This post has been deleted by its author

2. b0llchit Silver badge
    Go

Slippery when aligned

The UK is in for some potential trouble when all Norths align. It has been known from ancient historic and even older pre-historic texts that the meridian of alignment becomes very slippery and causes everything to slide. You should all make sure to hold on to something when the alignment happens because you might find yourself sliding towards the equatorial plane faster than you might like. Research even suggests that parts of the UK landmass may slide south at the time of alignment.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Slippery when aligned

I suppose that's one way of getting back into Europe...

1. b0llchit Silver badge
        Coat

Is that called Brentrance?

2. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge

Won't work, the British Isles are moving away from the Continent a few centimeters a century...

2. Evil Scot

Obligatory Pratchett quote. By a Feegle.

Oh Wailey Wailey.

3. xyz Silver badge

That's not all of it...

On current projections it's not only mag north on the move. True north is going to end up in France. Seemingly, and I'm not joking, this is down to India extracting too much groundwater and China building too many cities.

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Re: That's not all of it...

Will this be before or after Guam tips over?

2. First Light

Will it then become Vrai Nord?

3. GrahamRJ

At the Gare du Nord...?

4. ParlezVousFranglais

The OS says: These predictions are likely to change...

Real scientists freely admitting they actually don't know everything and can't necessarily predict what's to come in the future due to the fact that nature is inherently a bit chaotic - bravo! Maybe the environmentalists could learn a thing or two...

1. UCAP Silver badge
      Joke

Maybe the environmentalists could learn a thing or two

Maybe some politicians could learn a few lessons as well!

2. parlei Bronze badge

All scientists acknowledge the fact that our understanding of the world is imperfect; trying to understand things just a bit better is what they do for a living. But in many fields we are not talking about *if*, we are talking about the *details*. We know that biological systems are more or less complex, more or less chaotic. But the general patterns, the big picture? They are to a large extent known.

We know that humans evolved from other species, we know quite a bit about the mechanisms and have surprisingly good data for a lot of the steps. All of them? Of course not. We know that the being bitten by a timber rattlesnake is dangerous, but no one can say for certain ahead of time if a certain victim will live or die, or experience exactly which sequelae. But you should probably still try to avoid being bit by one. It is the same thing with climate change. We know that it is going to happen, that it is happening now as a matter of fact. But there is no way to fully predict the details, at least not with our current understanding of climate. It is the same thing with the ecological effects of pesticides dramatically reducing the number of bees. We know it going to have serious detrimental consequences for a number of important crops, even if no one can tell you an exact percentage point on how the yield for a certain crop will change.

3. GrahamRJ

Real scientists freely admitting they can't predict exactly where it's going to be at any given date - but with complete consensus amongst all real scientists that it's happening because of really hot stuff that's definitely there and is definitely hot.

Maybe the anti-environmentalists could learn from that, because there is equal scientific consensus on the existence of volcanos and the existence of climate change...

4. C R Mudgeon Bronze badge

Climate scientists *do* admit that. That's why they project future temperatures not as exact numbers, but rather as ranges, which grow wider the further into the future they go.

Of course, then the wilfully ignorant asshats claim that that very uncertainty is reason to ignore the projections. "See? They don't even know! Wake me when you have an exact number." Which of course *can't* happen until we get there.

Feh!

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Of course, then the wilfully ignorant asshats claim that that very uncertainty is reason to ignore the projections. "See? They don't even know! Wake me when you have an exact number." Which of course *can't* happen until we get there.

So I make a prediction that the Sun won't rise tomorrow. Easily disproved. Wilfully ignorant asshats like this asshat-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Hansen#US_Senate_committee_testimony

made some predictions using his simple, but very expensive climate model to a bunch of other wilfully ignorant asshats in 1988. Simple time series, time on on axis, temperature on the other. It's now 2022 and other wilfully ignorant asshats (SkS or 'Skeptical Science') refuse to accept that reality diverged from the model, ergo the model was wrong, ergo the assumptions behind the model were wrong.

This is normal for climate 'science'. There is a reanalysis project that compares model results to reality, and there is generally divergence with the models predicting more warming that can actually be observed. Some wilfully ignorant asshats claim that even though reality is cooler than the predictions, there's some unknown/undiscovered relationship that either allows heat to be stored, or the energy trapped somehow, somewhere. Or there's some mythical 'tipping point' where exceeding 350ppmv means we're all doomed, doomed I tell you. So confident and widely promoted predictions showing that the ice caps have already melted etc.

The real wilfully ignorant asshats just take this garbage on faith, and superglue themselves to oil paintings and tarmac, because oil is evil. Reality is that the 'climate' is far less sensitive to CO2 than originally claimed by climate industrial complex. Thousands of those will be jetting off to Egypt for their annual jolly where they'll demand we give the UN $100bn+ a year to spend.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And here I thought the climate doomsayers were calling it settled science, meaning no debate, they're right and it's reality that's wrong.

Now for the actual reality - the earth is warming up because of the sun. Other planets are heating up at the same rate as earth. The sun's output fluctuates in cycles, and we are near the top of a 700ish year cycle. At the bottom of that cycle it was so cold that the Thames would freeze solid in winter. The peak is around 2050, after which the sun's output is expected to decrease for 350 years. By 2500, the Thames will be freezing solid again.

The world governments know this, and they know that once we roll past the peak everyone will know anthropomorphic global warming is a bunch of hooey. Long before the peak they hope to get a global GDP passed to "fight global warming.". They even stated that the actual goal is wealth transfer to a world government, not fixing any environmental problems.

Cleaning the environment is important, but it's not affecting temperatures one bit. CO2 is currently sitting at 0.4 percent of 1 percent of the atmosphere. Increasing to 0.5 percent of 1 percent isn't going to make a bit of difference.

And here I thought the climate doomsayers were calling it settled science, meaning no debate, they're right and it's reality that's wrong.

Obviously because Teh Science is now settled, we can cut funding.

Now for the actual reality - the earth is warming up because of the sun. Other planets are heating up at the same rate as earth. The sun's output fluctuates in cycles, and we are near the top of a 700ish year cycle.

That's challenging to claim. Mainly because it's one of those 'effect exceeds cause' problems. Yes, solar output varies, but perhaps not enough. Or in reality, it's spectral shifts that might be the culprit rather than raw irradiance figures. We know the atmosphere is more sensitive to variations in UV output than visible light, and we know UV output varies with sunspot activity. We also know that solar minima do also seem to correlate with changes in climate, especially when they're the 'Grand' versions.

But it's also why I'm fascinated by the SAA. Henrik Svensmark proposed a theory that cosmic rays could affect cloud cover. This was swiftly and vigorously denied-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henrik_Svensmark#Debate_and_controversy

Although it did also lead to some real science-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CLOUD_experiment

On 24 August 2011, preliminary research published in the journal Nature showed there was a connection between Cosmic Rays and aerosol nucleation. Kirkby went on to say in the definitive CERN press Release "Ion-enhancement is particularly pronounced in the cool temperatures of the mid-troposphere and above, where CLOUD has found that sulphuric acid and water vapour can nucleate without the need for additional vapours.

Which also got denied by the climate cult. They'll tell you that 'There is no variation in cosmic ray activity!', despite ample evidence that there is, and there's a proposed mechanism by which it can affect cloud cover. Which we know affects weather, and we know climate models can't model. Plus we know the Earth's magnetic field is declining, which may amplify the effect. Which is one of the reasons why I find the SAA so fascinating given that's an area where our magnetic field is already low, so any cosmic (or solar) ray and CCN (Cloud Condensation Nuclei) effects might be easier to observe.

But because Teh Science is settled, climate 'scientists' wedded to CO2 dogma do not want any inconvenient data that may disrupt their funding. Hence why they're fixated on thermometers and their 'adjustments' rather than energy. Because there are instruments that do a better job of collecting data there, such as-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrgeometer

These instruments generally have no spectral (frequency/wavelength) measurement capabilities – they use a single (non-frequency resolved) resistance/voltage measurement. They are constructed to be sensitive to the infra-red radiation spectrum that extends approximately from 4.5 μm to 100 μm, thus excluding the main shortwave (solar) spectrum.

And there are cheap(ish) spectrum monitors that could also measure wider spectral variations. One of the great tragedies of climate science is that when the fuss started, and the money started pouring in, more weather stations weren't fitted with instruments that could actually collect useful data. If the problem is a postulated IR energy imbalance, why not install devices that can measure this, and variations over time?

At the bottom of that cycle it was so cold that the Thames would freeze solid in winter.

That's probably not a good example. One of the reasons why the Thames probably froze is it's flow rate was heavily restricted in places. However, there is plenty of historical evidence from other events like the causes of the French Revolution, or Napoleon's attempt to conquer Russia that the weather/climate was cold around those times. So basically the 'Little Ice Age' that climate pseudo-scientists desperately want to deny. Especially if you're claiming 'unprecedented warming', because if you start from an unusually cold period, you create an exagerated warming trend.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Yes, plus they conveniently don't mention that weather stations in cold areas, like Siberia, are neither maintained nor replaced when they fail. Weather stations in hot area are well maintained. This obvious discrepancy helps with the "trend" towards heating.

5. Sam not the Viking Silver badge

True North

If you've ever met anyone from Yorkshire you will know that the earth's axis of rotation goes through the Yorkshire Post.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
      Coat

Re: True North

Don't be silly - every bugger knows it's really through Headingley.

1. Marki Mark

Nah, Emley Moor. They've even put a post there to mark "True North"

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

I knew a Mr Moore years ago. And yes, he did name his daughter Emily.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

One of the perks of a site visit - having a trip up the Emley Moor tower, could see coast to coast from up there!

3. the spectacularly refined chap

Is that why it fell down when the pole moved?

4. Jan 0 Silver badge

> Nah, Emley Moor. They've even put a post there to mark "True North"

Didn't that post fall down with a bit of a clatter on a properly cold night?

2. Sam not the Viking Silver badge
        Pint

Headingley...... During the last major conflict with the Hun, my grandmother lived in that area near the Skyrack (a well-known establishment providing refreshments). Apparently the landlord had a 'stormy' relationship with his wife, once advising her to "Stick your head out of the window and we'll call it The Nag's Head".

In more recent times, only fifty years ago, we used toast their ghosts on the same premises.

Icon, apt and whynot (a fictional pub)--->

2. b0llchit Silver badge
      Coat

Everybody knows that the distance to the centre of rotation is inversely proportional to the number of inhabitants of the village and inversely proportional to the loudness of the minority of inhabitants of said village.

6. Emir Al Weeq

Or you could...

1. Point your watch's hour hand at the sun* and South then lies half way between the hour hand and noon (or 1 o' clock during BST).

2. Use the fact that Sky TV dishes point South. It used to be 22 degrees East of South if my 30 year-old memory of the time when I helped to install them is any good.

3. Use the fact that moss is usually found on the North side of trees. Is that really a thing?

*Yes, I know sun is a rare thing in the UK but I once used this trick quite a bit to help navigate whilst driving in Morocco from Fez to Tangier, all the while accompanied by a look from SWMBO that translated as "remind me again why you didn't pack the satnav".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Or you could...

"3. Use the fact that moss is usually found on the North side of trees. Is that really a thing?"

Years and years ago you could buy these boiled sweets which had a spy motif and inside the wrapper were handy tips for trainee eight year old spies, including moss on the north side of trees. Several years later I was on a school outward bound course where we were given maps (but no compass) and told to navigate back to the start. I think the idea was to follow roads. Of course we took the short cut off the road and got lost and it was only by using tree moss that we managed to navigate back in the right direction. So yes - it is a thing :-)

2. Alfie Noakes

Isn't there also something about the entrance to ant hills (or is that just in America)?

1. parlei Bronze badge

Ants (in temperate climates) like to catch the warmth from the sun. So they tend to slope towards the south (northern hemisphere). And at least here in Sweden they are not built against rocks, which are far too good heat conductors, but against trees and such objects.

The moss and lichens is a bit more complex: north is damper (good)m but less sunshine (bad). Some species are happier on the south side than the north. Tree branches will also grow differently on the north vs south side. The general tendency is long and horizontal on the south side, and shorter and more upright on the north (shade and wind affects this!).

3. Terry 6 Silver badge

know sun is a rare thing in the UK

Er, watch hands are a bit of an endangered species too.

1. Peter Ford

Even with a digital watch you can imagine where the hands would be. With a bit more effort it works in the dark: if you can see the Moon you can work out where the Sun would be based on the phase and then determine where North is (actually, determining South is easier, but then you just go the other way...)

Of course, if it's too dark to see the Sun but clear enough to see the Moon, chances are you can see the relevant stars for your hemisphere...

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Even with a digital watch you can imagine where the hands would be."

You might be surprised at how many people can't tell the time if you show them a watch or clock with pointers on it instead of a digital numeric display.

1. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge
            Joke

They just then have to use the watch on their smartphone, changing the display to the proper mode, and then check if it is consistent with the compass application...

2. Terry 6 Silver badge

I'm getting less good at that too, in my 60s. I tend to make mistakes, especially when I take a quick look. Sometimes my eye catches the seconds hand instead of the minute hand. Sometimes I just get it wrong if I'm not concentrating.

So why should the under 30s, growing up with digital clocks everywhere, be secure in knowing how to use a clock-with-hands?

And why would they even have one? I recall here on El Reg commentards proudly announcing that they never wear a watch, because phone.

My watches are worn more as an ornament. One is a Warner Brothers Bugs Bunny Watch that has no numbers, and convex glass that makes telling the time accurately almost impossible anyway.

1. druck Silver badge

You can't make learning to tell the time fun for a small child, using a paper plate and fastener for a digital clock.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

I'm guessing that you mean "you can..."

And I'd agree if so, except for it to be fun it probably needs to be connected to their lives. And with so few clocks-with-hands around a lot of kids will never have seen one. It'd be like teaching kids to use sundials ( which can also be fun....).

2. David Nash Silver badge

Digital watches are a pretty neat idea though.

1. Martin-73 Silver badge

How amazingly primitive

3. veti Silver badge

Meh, you can get an analogue clock app for your phone.

(Goes nicely with the GPS and the compass apps.)

1. Martin-73 Silver badge
          Windows

even better, you can get a rotary dial dialler app to call the speaking clock (yes it still exists) to find out if your guess was correct

4. Jellied Eel Silver badge

If you're being chased by a polar bear, you've gone too far north. If a penguin's stolen your pie, you've gone too far south.

If you give a kid a map, they may ask Siri what it is. Siri.. Hello.. Siri.. It's kinda depressing that many of our feckless yoof don't understand the significance of the 3 Norths. Me, I'm still waiting for the geomagnetic reversal, cos that's going to make things really weird. Although somewhat less exciting than a true polar reversal.

(For more fun with geomagnetism, I still really want to understand the SAA. That's weirdly fascinating. Science is fun like that. See also gravity mapping and where to go to lose weight.)

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>I'm still waiting for the geomagnetic reversal

Then we'll all become southerners

Oh, dear $deity!!! I hadn't thought of that!!

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Just imagine renaming Dundee as Crocodile...

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Moss? You were lucky!!! Was lost once many years ago in London late at night. Could just see the big dipper in the sky - so, right, that way is north, I need to keep going in a westerly direction - I know the way home once I hit the M25......

Another time I was lost in London, alas, in the daytime I started following signs to Brighton - just because I knew it's NOT in London!! Just need to take a right turn at either the M25 or the English Channel - which either I came across first.....

6. heyrick Silver badge

Wasn't it 19.2°E in the analogue days, then 22.8°E in the digital days?

Or as I'm aligning the dish, aim it south then left a bit (as I'm behind it) until something happens.

1. Peter Ford

More or less straight down my street, which is a pain because it means I had to add some blocks to stand the dish off the wall a bit to get the alignment.

7. Big_Baldy_Bloke

The Natural Navigator (https://www.naturalnavigator.com) by Tristan Gooley is a fantastic source of information about how to find your way without a compass or any tech.

8. I could be a dog really Bronze badge
      Facepalm

Ah, you missed method 4, taught when I was in the boy scouts a looooong time ago.

Tie your watch to a piece of string. Hold other end of string in your hand. Whirl the watch around exactly 3 times at high speed and ... let go of the string. The watch goes west.

9. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Thumb Up

The Natural Navigator

by Tristan Gooley

“Nature is always making a map for us. Everything outdoors is a clue and a sign.”

https://www.naturalnavigator.com/

7. Gomez Adams

True North is where the heart is.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

True North is going out in sub-zero weather in a t-shirt

8. Howard Sway Silver badge

the alignment will make landfall at Langton Matravers, Dorset, this month

So, if I understand correctly, this month all the Norths will be in the South. Should be a nice holiday for them, taking a break from all that cold and dark. Hope everyone's sat nav still works.

9. Alfie Noakes
    Black Helicopters

for the "first time in history,"

...must be due to climate change ;)

Joke

Re: for the "first time in history,"

Boris' Levelling up in action

I think the levelling up thing is a natural geologic phenomenon since the ice retreated after the last ice age. The South is sinking and the North is rising, which can mean so many things :-)

Alert

The South is sinking and the North is rising

Don't like the sound of that - what happens when the Earth becomes top heavy

2. that one in the corner Silver badge

> which can mean so many things

Scotland is trying to catapult itself off the end of Britain and rejoin the EU, and has been since the end of the Ice Age (the clans taking the long view on history).

The "Northern Powerhouse" is just a plan to move more heavy stuff to the NE to try and stop the Scots using that as a way of escaping from the power of London.

Wales is acting as the pivot and isn't sure how to feel about that; on the on hand, helping someone escape The English, on the other realising they are going to be left behind.

The Cornish are stockpiling buckets to bail with.

10. DJV Silver badge

Lots of planets have a north*

* spoken with northern accent

1. The commentard formerly known as Mister_C Silver badge

Re: Lots of planets have a north*

Very subtle, doctor. Have an upvote on me.

11. steelpillow Silver badge
    Coat

Northist discrimination

Note that the poor Southerners don't get a look in. We do exist you know - in fact we have a whole bloody continent of our own. And what do you call it? "Not the Arctic".

TRUE SOUTH ALIGNS THE SAME DAY AS YOUR SCROTTY WET-FOOTED NORTH.

I am cc-ing this to the European Court of... no, wait, Antarctica is not even in the EU - the United Nations, yes. Blatant discrimination, I say. We Antipodeans... - oh no, another "How far from us can you get?" word!

Just you wait til the icecaps melt and you have to swim for it!

1. the spectacularly refined chap

Re: Northist discrimination

1. Who uses the Ordnance Survey national grid in the southern hemisphere? It only makes sense over relatively small areas. The US doesn't use such a system for that very reason. If you want to extend ours below the equator you end up with up is down style conditions.

2. The Earth is not a bar magnet, the magnetic field is rather funkier than that. The biggest "issue" is the South Atlantic Anomaly, which affects mostly the southern hemisphere. Therefore it doesn't follow that magnetic north for us is 180° opposite of magnetic south for you.

1. david 12 Silver badge

I take the point about the SAA, but the day that your national grid aligns with true North is the same day everybody's national grid aligns with True North, for everybody who used the same reference date/position for True North. The magic is only about Magnetic North (for parts of the UK) aligning at the same time as True North passes back through the True True North position.

Joke

National Grid? What's this got to do with electricity?

Facepalm

Never heard of electromagnetism?

The icon!!!

Ah, well, it was well past midnight, it seem my RasPi has just died on me and I was in the middle of installing/rebuilding Kodi and my databases on a spare laptop. So MY icon applies to me :-)

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Antipodeans". People who don''t like feet?

12. Fading
    Coat

And as the norths merge at Stonehenge.....

The gates of Avalon will open and the one true King of England will return.....

With Dragons....

Or something......

(yes I know Stonehenge is at 51° 10' 26.30" it's close enough for mythology)....

1. heyrick Silver badge

Re: And as the norths merge at Stonehenge.....

Finally! Somebody who can sort out the mess...

You think he's the true king just because watery tart game him a sword?

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

At least farcical aquatic ceremonies

are a step up from whatever method the UK uses to choose its PMs these days.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Stonehenge? Nowt to do with there. It's more likely he'll be the legends act on the Pyramid Stage at Worthy Farm.

1. steelpillow Silver badge
        Joke

Nae laddie, none o' your Southern upstarts wi' such an important rising. 'Twill be the original henge at Skara Brae.

https://www.uk-gov-to-relocate-to-Skara-Brae-and-appoint-rightful-King.org.uk

(Know ye that the 's' in https stands for Scotland!)

Nae laddie, none o' your Southern upstarts wi' such an important rising. 'Twill be the original henge at Skara Brae.

Bah humbug. Some of my family are Scottish, so I amuse myself sometimes when stuff like Game of Thrones was popular by pointing out it was based on UK history. We once had a surfeit of Kings, but by a process of elimination, gradually whittled it down to 1. Scotland used to have something like 13-14 or more 'kings' from a variety of different races or cultures, with frequent consolidation attempts. Favorite example of M&A activity from this era, along with the arms race being a very old thing was this-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warwolf

Which I'd love to recreate. But if you're going to the trouble of building the world's largest trebuchet, you're going to want to see if it works. Also curious how a current tech-level trebuchet would compare. Anachronism FTW!

1. steelpillow Silver badge

The Ness of Brodgar site there predates Stonehenge at around 3,000-3,500 years old. No sassenach newcomer is going to impress the immortal Gods, whatever the size of your, er ... trebuchet? Never haird it called that before, but let it pass.

Are you sure kings had been invented by then, anyway?

13. werdsmith Silver badge

In my days in GA, Cranfield main runway was 22/04 now it's 21/03. Still some old plates around the web showing the old numbers.

1. druck Silver badge

If I can ever afford to start flying again, I'll have to adjust my spreadsheet to automatically generate plogs. It was 3 degrees west then, by that time it will probably be 3 degrees east.

14. spold Silver badge

Magnetic north is easy to track

Just look for an enormous cloud of confused homing pigeons flying in circles, or hikers all converging in a big pile. I'm also expecting junk yards to be devastated, and the flow of traffic around roundabouts to suddenly reverse direction.

1. ParlezVousFranglais

Re: Magnetic north is easy to track

https://xkcd.com/2098/

2. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
      Linux

Re: Magnetic north is easy to track

Hikers converging, yards devastated... Is there a Pokemon Go gym at the location of the 3 Norths?

15. Dave@Home
    Holmes

Plugholes

Will they be affected?

1. Korev Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Plugholes

I have a sinking feel about this...

1. David Hicklin Bronze badge

I think the earth has to reverse its rotation first, so aligning the poles or even flipping when over would be a minor event by comparison because at some point the rotation would have to stop before it reverses....

1. Twanky
          Angel

at some point the rotation would have to stop before it reverses....

Quite possibly not if the Dzhanibekov effect (https://rotations.berkeley.edu/a-tumbling-t-handle-in-space/) applies to the whole planet.

Mind you, we might want to hold on to something...

icon: my head after a couple of spin reversals.

16. Korev Silver badge
    Pirate

The KLF were correct

It's grim up north

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Angel

Re: The KLF were correct

You miss spelled Opp Norf

17. andy gibson

Nick Crane

As good excuse as any to mention Nick Crane's excellent "Two Degrees West"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Two-Degrees-West-English-Journey/dp/0140272364

18. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Coat

Some kind of EU plot?

I mean, were we asked about this magnetic invasion?

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Correction

"The OS divides the UK into 1km squares."

As part of The Register's Americanisation (I guess that should be "Americanization") its authors seem to have lost their awareness of UK vs GB distinctions.

The Ordnance Survey cover GB, not UK.

Northern Ireland is handled by Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland, a separate organisation.

Mapping on the island of Ireland is handled by both Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland and Ordnance Survey Ireland working together as mapping on the island is defined via the Irish Grid:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_grid_reference_system

20. fibrefool
    FAIL

OCD is no laughing matter

OCD is not a funny quirk to joke about:

https://ocdaction.org.uk/learn-about-ocd/ocd-in-brief/

same goes for OCPD (which is related, and often co-morbid, but not the same)

please change your subheading and first paragraph

21. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge
    Coat

Please sternly remind Canada

That Russia is under embargo and it is definitively not allowed to send the Magnetic Pole to Siberia, whatever the crimes it may have perpetrated against the State

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like