back to article AMD’s latest, greatest Radeon graphics card $600 cheaper than Nvidia’s top RTX 4090

AMD has come out swinging at Nvidia with new flagship Radeon graphics cards that are cheaper than its rival's fresh GeForce RTX products. Calling its latest products the "world's most advanced" gaming cards, the Silicon Valley-based chip designer said on Thursday that the 24GB Radeon RX 7900 XTX and 20GB Radeon RX 7900 XT will …

1. Sampler

Tempered enthusiam

New platform, means new drivers, means new bugs to work out - sorta excited at the price to performance (though, obviously, will wait for real world testing to validate) but been burned many a time by ATI's drivers that I will reign in that decision.

At worst, it could mean a bit of price pressure on nVidia cards.

1. Tomato42
      Boffin

Re: Tempered enthusiam

I thought that it will be the compute dies that will be in chiplets, turns out that it's not the case.

It's the cache that is in chiplets, I don't expect much issues from this, or requiring vastly different behaviour from drivers.

Still, will wait for independent benchmarks before pulling the trigger.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I find it absolutely hilarious that we're being 1984'd into believing that $1000 for a video card is a "bargain." *LMAO*

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
      Coat

The engineer in me thinks: hmm, this is fascinating stuff.

The green but of me thinks: uses a lot of power but it'll save on heating.

The Yorkshireman in me thinks: how much? I'll stick with ex lease laptops, at a fifth of the price...

Obviously I'm not the target market.

--> the nice warm coat, obviously.

2. IGotOut Silver badge

I remember shelling out £180 for a top of the shop dual Voodo Rush 128mb card! Thats when a modest pc would knock you back £500+

1. Tomato42

Well, the £ did go a lot farther when Voodo Rush was a modern GPU...

3. Great Bu

68 Billion Colours ?

I still don't believe in puce, never mind whatever they are going to call the other 67.999999 billion.....

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Happy

Re: 68 Billion Colours ?

"Not puce". There, that takes care of most of them. And waaaay simpler than Pantone's system.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Is this still just Rec.709/sRGB or do they include the other 2 secret primaries?

Coat

It reflects the gamut that my monitor can display.

Which admittedly, is a an analogue VGA one with a missing Green pin and with the Red and Blue pins shorted together.

So "puce" and "not puce" are 100% accurately reproduced here, under all lighting conditions :)

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Indeed.

I think we were told, way back when color monitors existed and the first high-end graphics cards were born, that 16.8 million is "True Color".

This is the important bit for those who can't follow the link :

"For a display to fool the eye into seeing full colour, 256 shades of red, green and blue are required; that is 8 bits for each of the three primary colours, hence 24 bits in total. However, some graphics cards actually require 32 bits for each pixel to display true colour, due to the way in which they use the video memory – the extra 8 bits generally being used for an alpha channel (transparencies)."

So now I get it. The graphics card is no longer bothering with just 256 shades + transparency. Instead of using 8 bits per RGB value, it is now using 12 bits for every color.

12 bits gives up to 4095 values, raise that to the third power and you get 68 billion.

I doubt the eye is going to see much difference though.

Coat

If the extra colours only exist in your head, are they just pigments of your imagination?

(I'll see myself out.)

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Bravo sir. And now I need a new keyboard.

Re the colour range though: lots of research when TV started using digits suggested that 8 bits for each of red green and blue was sufficient to fool even the critical eye on real world scenes, and that obviously fitted to byte sizes at the time.

But even so, there are certain pathological images which can still show quantization steps; dark blue skies gradually fading are one.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Basically each if your eye's 3 colour channels can resolve around 100 levels, so 100^3=1million colours.

But they aren't linear, so 3*8 bit aren't actually enough. Even though that's more colours than you can see - its not all the colours you can see

2. Will Godfrey Silver badge
          Pint

You definitely earned one of these ->

4. Binraider Silver badge

The fans are WAAAY more interested in the mid-range card.

$1000 is still into the money-no-object territory. Get back to me when an mid-range card that performs adequately is available again at mid-range pricing. Inflation adjustment is fine. Price gouging is not fine.

1. Gerhard den Hollander

fans ....

I'm actually more interested in the fans, ever since I had to share an office with a coworker who had a slightly off fan on his videocard ...

it's a bit like Vetinari's clock ... the annoying tick would be regular, and just as you were gettingused to it, the fan would change speed (or whatever it is) and the tick would be different ....

5. mikus

When did $1000 video cards become normal?

Not really sure, with the advent of Steam Proton support for Linux gaming, I suddenly care to game again 20 years later, but pretty absurd being re-introduced to this when people were scalping gpu's for 3x the cost, ie several thousands of dollars, as apparently they generated gold or something. Suddenly they don't, and I just want some pretty graphics maan, but really - starting at 1000 dollars? I remember buying my first voodoo2 that broke me at $200 bucks, so perhaps I'm jaded.

6. Herring`

What framerate

can you get on Llamatron?

7. Fenton

4080 competitor

This card is not a competitor for the 4090 but a competitor for the 4080 and 4080ti.

Rumor has it this card could clock to 3Ghz, some AIBs may bring out cards with 3x 8 pin power connectors.

The race will be interesting, given we all have to tighten our belts I think AMD are going for bang per buck rather

than best performance, but given the chiplett design they could quite easily come out with a faster chip

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like