back to article Firefox patches Windows 11 Ctrl+C hang, introduces new bug

Windows 11 and Firefox users who have experienced months of browser freezes when copying text, rejoice: there's finally a patch that eliminates the problem, which has been persistent since May. Mozilla's patch notes for Firefox version 106.0.3, released yesterday, only includes a couple of items, among them a fix for "an …

1. sarusa Silver badge
    FAIL

Bug, what bug?

Yeah, I hadn't noticed at all... because I turned off Suggested Actions immediately. What a complete abortion of a misfeature. Whenever MS tries to be 'helpful' it's Clippy all over again.

For those who don't know what it does, whenever you copy text containing a phone number, date, or time it pops up a Window saying 'Hey, it looks like you just copied a phone number! Would you like to make a phone call? Huh? Huh? Please?' or 'Oh hey, that looks like a date - why don't I open Calendar for you?' (this may not be the exact text :p)

1. DJV Silver badge

Re: Bug, what bug?

Same here - I came here to post something similar but you beat me to it. Another useless, annoying "feature" that it's better to live without.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Someone Else Silver badge

So?

While the latest Firefox patch might have resolved the issue with freezing when copying text, it may have introduced another, this time making it difficult to paste text copied from Firefox into Chromium-based applications, Álvarez noted in the bug report.

You say that is if it were a bad thing....

Hey, El Reg! Since you "deprecated" the Paris icon, there's room for another. How about a "meh" icon?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Meh

Re: So?

Isn't that this icon?

I'm pretty sure we need an "old man yells at cloud" icon which could fill up the space left by Paris.

3. aerogems Silver badge
    Facepalm

I just wish they could find a way to work around Reddit's buggy "fancy" editor box. I get that it's probably a low priority for the Firefox devs, but it's the main thing that keeps me on Vivaldi instead of Firefox. At least until the Manifest v3 hammer drops and we're all forced to run screaming to Firefox where we can at least still maintain some semblance of sanity and not be overrun by obnoxious ads.

1. David 132 Silver badge

Personally I use old.reddit.com and that version seems to work perfectly on Firefox, for what it's worth.

4. Sleep deprived
    Happy

I see you're about to paste something

Maybe I can help? Or screw things up?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like