back to article From the Great Resignation to demand for more overtime

The great resignation has ceased to be a talking point despite continued high quit rates and what appears to be a shift in worker motivation away from finding jobs with purpose toward finding one that simply pays enough to combat inflation. A survey of more than 1,000 full-time US workers by Qualtrics found that 64 percent say …

1. Cederic Silver badge

Overtime?

I'm waiting for Sunak to put up taxes yet again and I'll be reducing my hours. I'm fed up of paying for his mistakes.

Inflation? Just makes it even more sensible to spend my savings, while they're still worth something.

I'll kill myself before I retire anyway.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Overtime?

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Sure it was Sunak's mistakes? In Truss you trusted.

1. Cederic Silver badge

Truss didn't hand billions over to fraudsters, didn't cause high inflation through hundreds of billions in quantitative easing, didn't impose the highest tax burden for 70 years.

All of that came from one Chancellor.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Oh no, she just tanked the pound and caused the BoE to bail out bonds and guilts to the tune of £65bn. Which did further raise inflation and mortgages.

1. Cederic Silver badge

The BoE did not 'bail out' bonds or gilts, let alone to the sum of £65bn.

But do please explain how the BoE actions caused inflation and higher mortgages. Economists across the world would love to hear this new and interesting theory.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

I dunno, just read a newspaper or something. It was in the news and everything. For some reason I CBA to Google stuff for you and repeat it here, I wish I had that much free time.

I do totally get you want to blame this guy for all the recent economic turmoil instead of the 5-week wonder IEA sleeper cell, so you can feel seen, as the youth say.

1. Cederic Silver badge

Ah, I see your problem. You relied on mass media.

Allow me to do your research for you:

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/news/2022/october/statement-on-end-of-gilt-market-operations confirms that they were protecting LDI funds. In layman's terms, that primarily means pension funds.

https://fullfact.org/economy/bank-of-england-65-billion-gilts-mini-budget/ confirms that although £65bn was the maximum the Bank of England would spend, it didn't in fact spend that much, indeed spending less than £4bn of the first £25bn it might have spent.

I'm glad I'm able to help you correct misconceptions and become better informed. Might I suggest you use your limited and valuable free time seeking the truth rather than sharing misinformation.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Ok, just £4bn, a bargain.

And how do you explain people's mortgages and pensions, the pound falling, and inflation rising?

3. sabroni Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: I'll kill myself before I retire anyway.

Aww, did the nasty brown man that none of you voted for end up in power?

4. Binraider Silver badge

Pretty sure you can blame the entirety of British politics since Thatcher if you're going to sling mud at Sunak.

I do agree though, it made far more sense to buy a large solar power system and battery bank than muck around with 1, maybe 1.5% interest on a savings account.

Other investments available, with varying degrees of risk obviously (mostly, godawful risk/reward at this time, given the dawn raid made on pension funds by Truss and Kwasimodo).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That dawn raid was started by Gordon Brown who came up with the idea of taxing pension fund gains. You know, the whole point of a fund so there would be money later for you when you retired?

1. NeilPost

At least he just raised them… Truss and Kamikwasi Karteng almost broke the whole pension system.

2. Binraider Silver badge

I did say the entirety of politics since Thatcher, so yes, that does include Brown.

Various other twats caught stealing from pensions over the years of course, some got away with it more than others. Phillip Green, Robert Maxwell, and a bunch of others.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

And the decline / cost of pensions is directly traceable back to that single act, and we've been paying for it ever since.

The economic cost has been that companies couldn't take pension holidays when times were bad, because they couldn't run the scheme at a surplus in good times. That takes away funds for investment in bad times, when investment is more important than ever.

2. chivo243 Silver badge

Present to my successor!

I'm 99% sure my successor to my throne is\should be getting beaucoup OT, beaucoup, beaucoup, beaucoup! Because in the nearly 5 months notice I gave, management played pocket pool as per procedure, they had plenty of time to find a suitable replacement and now they have to pay another salary to an existing employee, or a nice portion, and hope he understands my turn over notes.

I'm sure you got this... keep up the good work!

1. Anonymous Cowerd

Re: Present to my successor!

Yeah, I gave my employer a year to find a replacement. I think they thought I was joking.

No idea if they found anybody, but it’s not my problem.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

My boss kept getting overridden by higher ups on what projects I was working on which eventually ended in a rather big row between them. I was then told by the higher up that I was going to be working on a product line that we all knew was utterly doomed and that I had no prospect of promotion and would no longer be working on the sorts of projects I'd been working on before.

He was then shocked when I handed in my notice and only decided who I was handing my work over to 2 weeks before the end of my 3 month notice period.

2. Trigun

I've seen this repeatedly: We know someone is quitting, so let's do nothing at all until they are gone and then panic when no one has done the tasks that the person did and foist the job role on an existing employee who is already over burdened as it is.

It's an insane approach to management that you'd think anyone in their right mind would not do, but it just keeps happening.

1. Binraider Silver badge

When it’s happening at an organisational scale as opposed to individual managers that’s when you know the org is really screwed in the long run.

When developing the next engineer to deal with asset type X or Y takes 5 to 10 years; retention periods of three years for new starters is basically a guaranteeing a break. When, not if.

I have a report going to our exec on this very subject imminently. We will see if they are listening.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lol...

I quit my last job for a 7k pay rise for doing a role (with stricter safety standards) that my old boss said I wasn't suitable for.

His loss, I used to do all the operational networks for customer systems, took the company from the stone age to modern networks, wasn't even my job but it needed doing (customer stuff was getting more complicated and the old flat networks weren't cutting it) and no one else was doing it. When my old boss dithered then turned down my suggestion that I do it as my actual job, rather than a side job I told him (politely) I'd only do what my TOR said, I don't get paid to be your network architect.

After a week they gave it to the head of software (very nice guy) who after looking at my designs came and saw me to admit he didn't have time and didn't know enough about networking to design the one for the next customer. So they gave it to another one of the software team who also didn't know what to do, he was a mate so I talked him through it. Then I handed in my notice and left... Took them nearly 2 years to find someone to replace me... lol...

4. Potemkine! Silver badge

It is said that some people want more work. It isn't true, more money would be enough.

== Bring us Dabbsy back! ==

5. RobLang

1000 workers isn't much of a US sample size

1000 workers across all industries doesn't tell you much about motivation and it certainly isn't broad enough to give you causation over correlation when the stats are 57%. So I don't think the title of the article is born out by the data (to which the article doesn't directly link). Albeit this is an "Offbeat" article, not all industries are behaving the same way since the pandemic, especially IT, where there has been a shortage of technical people for years.

6. M.V. Lipvig Silver badge

As a USAian,

I can tell you that the two biggest problems we're having is housing prices and fuel prices. If you rent, it's been going up 20-50 percent a year. My son has had to move each year chasing an apartment he can afford as he gets into one for a year and the following year they want 500 to 1000 a month more for the same place. Fuel prices are driving up the cost of everything else. Been especially bad over the last 2 years. I'm just glad I own my house outright as it's allowed me to lend my kids a hand when they need it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like