back to article Microsoft's Chinese website reveals free PC Manager utility

Something interesting has popped up in a Chinese language corner of Microsoft's website: a tool called PC Manager that provides easier access to utilities that dwell somewhere in Windows' Settings menus. While the site is in Chinese, the tool is not – so we took it for a spin. On boot you'll see the following screen: …

1. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

Redolent of so many Microsoft programs and features that try to change defaults. Like the 'Let's finish setting up your computer' screen that actually tries to cajole users into creating a Microsoft account, thus tying the login to a personal account that is under the control of the user. No, Microsoft, I created a local account for this customer and everyone in that small company because that's what they need. They don't need a Microsoft login, and the set is perfectly 'finished' without it.

And the way that Microsoft tries to stop you even using the Chrome Downloader they call Edge from loading Chrome is most disingenuous. It comes up with messages like 'no need to download another browser'. I mean Edge isn't that bad, but the pushiness is annoying and I don't want to be told which browser to use.

Microsoft's arrogance is what makes people hate Windows, Office (whoops, I mean Microsoft 365).

1. Wade Burchette

If a product is naturally superior, you do not need to force people to use it. People did not start driving cars because we ran out horse feed or because Henry Ford was constantly nagging us to drive one.

If Edge was clearly a better product, Microsoft would not need to keep nagging us about it. But it is not. Even though it is based on Chromium, it is inferior to Chrome. Examples: Why is the default home page msn.com? Who gave Microsoft the right to decide that Edge should start when the computer boots? Why does Edge bother me about nonprofits? Or things I can discover? Because of these things, I will never recommend Edge. The only reason Microsoft recommends it is because it is good for their profit, not good for you.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Boffin

But

Do I hate having to repeated tell M$ that I don't want Edge as my default browser - Yes.

Do I have Firefox set up to always check if it's the default browser - Yes.

But when I need to access a site that requires a chromium browser, Edge (currently) allows me to block more ads than Chrome so it is installed and Chrome isn't.

2. Blackjack Silver badge

To be fair one of the things that works when trying to fix Windows is to reset things to default. But yes the whole Edge nagging is just that; nagging.

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
        Unhappy

Annoying - The only Use I have For Edge

As unfortunately the only way I can navigate to work printers webservers is by Edge in IE compatibility mode, Chrome just blocks it & Firefox isn't allowed.

2. demon driver

Yes, we definitely needed...

... another application in the "system" department, fragmenting the places ("control panel", "manage", "settings", "administrative tools", ...) where people look for such things even more...

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Flame

It's exhausting

Microsoft, you build an Operating System.

The goal of an OS is to launch the programs the user wants to use.

You have no business telling the user what he should use.

Fuck off and do your job already.

4. Mr Dogshit

They've invented CCleaner!

1. navarac Bronze badge

....after knocking it (& other such like) for years. Again, Microsoft is trying to negate the use of non-Microsoft products. They came a cropper with IE back in the day. How come they can get away with it now? Greedy.

5. david 12 Silver badge

What's good for the goose.... Every time I open Gmail or Google in Edge, a little window pops up and suggests that I use Chrome.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like