back to article Mask gizmo wirelessly transmits data on wearer's health

Scientists in Canada have developed an electronic device to fit inside a surgical mask which they claim helps monitor the wearer's health and how well the mask is fitted. The electronic device clips inside a mask the user provides, so it is reusable and can be transferred from one mask to another. Using a Bluetooth connection …

1. Mike 137 Silver badge

And if that doesn't make you feel uncomfortable, we don't know what will

"The framework that we have developed can also be implemented in designing conformable, customizable electronics for other textile-oriented garments including bras and T-shirts"

What would probably make most of us rather more uncomfortable would be its application to underpants.

1. Alumoi Silver badge
      Joke

Re: And if that doesn't make you feel uncomfortable, we don't know what will

If you've got nothing to hide... oh, wait...

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Big Brother

What would probably make most of us rather more uncomfortable would be its application to underpants.

Shhh... don't give them ideas. The original is creepy/1984-iash enough. More reasons to NOT comply...

a worthy mention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP3zRBtgvJo

3. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

I normally blame the dog, but that jig would be up.

4. that one in the corner Silver badge

its application to underpants

Hacker's Delight - they'd never manage to get trustworthy readings! Go on, log *this* in your cloud!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: its application to underpants

.. with "log" being the operative word for underpants.

Ugh.

2. imanidiot Silver badge

Sure, keep reusing the same device in close contact to your skin that's been on the dirty, nay filthy interior of a facemask for extended periods of time. What could go wrong‽

1. that one in the corner Silver badge

Plenty of electronics are washable, once the battery has been disconnected. The part actually inside the mask appears to just be an interestingly designed flex PCB, so don't shove it in the washing machine but it might survive the dishwasher (if placed carefully). Certainly a hot hand wash.

3. Khaptain Silver badge

Bank account re-authorized

Great , now when you leave your home in the morning a signal can sent by the mask to your local "personal care officer " informing them that they can re-authorize your bank account transactions in order that you can use public transport and buy your lunch in the attributed eating place...

Canada : Land of the most constrained 'liberals' on the planet....

Yes, it's sarcasm but there is a hint of truth..

4. FlamingDeath Silver badge

Let me guess, this was funded by tax payers via some kind of handout?

I bet they're also chasing easy gubermint money, some nice cushy gubermint contract where talent and ability are not required

I think the people who made this need to go outside more often. I thought this covid malarky was over with, but clearly there are still shit cunts out there trying to profit from it in any way they can, with stupid ideas such as this one

1. John 110
      Coat

Re: Let me guess, this was funded by tax payers via some kind of handout?

What made you think this covid malarky was over? It'll never be over. And even if in whatever cloud cuckoo land you're living in, you're told it is over, then monkey pox and ebola are just waiting in the wings.

-->the labcoat with "I'm a Microbiologist and I'm wearing a mask" on the back...

1. John 110

Oh, and

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-63347214

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"A total of 52 death certificates mentioned the infection during the week, 16 more than were recorded in the previous seven days."

I wish, when people read stories like this, they would remember the simple logic of With != From. Recording asymptomatic people, who happened to carry the infection when they died of unrelated causes, as covid-related deaths should be considered fraud.

1. John 110

And you need to remember that your personal death is not the only outcome of carrying covid. It can be passed on to people who may die, or pass it on to people who...etc. And that's not even thinking about long covid (which is actually scarier than they would have you believe)

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Well done! In your eagerness to get an own over the hated enemy, you completely missed the point! Fantastic work!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Coming to.a Chinese colony real soon

Masks, they're going to be a thing here for a while. This will be mandated with voice, GPS and camera addins so the common good can be monitored (enforced).

6. 桜沢墨

Verbal activity? Are you insane? You won't have much to report because if you actually consent to wearing a tracking device that spies on your temperature, breathing patterns, and how humid your breath is, then you're not the kind of person that people want to be around. Say nothing about the second to last quote where they say something very vague about human behavior tied to mask wearing.

7. that one in the corner Silver badge

Interesting tech but great unwashed commentards want it to die?

The application to face masks provides an obvious way to fund the concept and provide a hook to get someone to get this bulk manufacturable and cheap enough to put into production (the combo of PCB, adhesion layer and ruggedness).

Damn shame, though, if all fell through because of the sort of blank negativity expressed (so far) here.

Where else might checking fit and monitoring physiological signals, could be useful? Especially if it was mass produced and cheap to at leat try?

Safety clothing? Are there any use cases where you'd like to monitor if the cuffs of your coveralls are too loose? Is your breathing mask fitted properly whilst you're running around a smoke-filled building?

Get this tech and put into a pair of leggings (and maybe slippers?) - see if it could help monitor gait and improve physio results after a hip replacement, for example. Relatives who've had that op say they had to be repeatedly told to correct gaits that had been learnt over years and "felt natural" so they needed external feedback, but it isn't a large enough issue to warrant expensive monitoring devices.

Is your strapless gown working loose and about to get you cancelled because of a wardrobe malfunction on US TV?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like