back to article Liz Truss ousted as UK prime minister, outlived by online lettuce

The analogy was first drawn by august finance journal The Economist, which said the shelf-life of a lettuce was longer than Liz Truss's period with any actual political power as British Prime Minister, after she "blew up her own government with a package of unfunded tax cuts and energy-price guarantees on September 23." Then …

1. Pete 2 Silver badge

If a mistake is bad enough ...

> repeating the process through which it selected Truss

... it's worth repeating.

1. Korev Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: If a mistake is bad enough ...

Her election campaign lasted longer than her tenure as Prime Minister...

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Since BJ is front runner to replace her, and will inevitably soon fall to some sex/finance scandal - I'm beginning to think somebody missed a break; condition

1. Anonymous Coward
        Coat

Re: If a mistake is bad enough ... Terry's solution

As Terry Pratchett suggested in The Last Continent, the thing to do is to throw the Prime Minister in prison as soon as they are elected.

2. Schultz
        Facepalm

BJ is front runner to replace her

I guess he is jealous because she broke a national record and he didn't.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: BJ is front runner to replace her

He was the first prime minister to break the law in post. That's a record.

1. Stork Silver badge

Re: BJ is front runner to replace her

First to be found out

3. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

There's probably a super-injunction preventing BJ's worst indiscretions from being published. Allegedly. Ahem.

4. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Is he though? Raving fruit loops like Doris and Re-smog and whoever that guy who was hanging around in the lobby of The House yesterday might be very vocally supporting him, but he needs the support of 100 MPs to get on the ballot, and the word is (or so I have read) that he may well have fewer than 25 MPs supporting him.

Of course, if he does get on the ballot, and somehow get re-elected, there are also rumours that there is a group of MPs who would split from the Conservative Party if this were to happen. That would lose the Conservatives their majority in the House of Commons, so they'd be trying to operate as a minority government. I can't see any path there that doesn't lead to a general election, and the Tories are currently polling at 30 or more points behind Labour, the latest poll to be published puts them on 14% to Labour's 53%.

Of course there are always provisions; that poll was commissioned by GB news, which is hardly a reliable and unbiased outfit, so it could well be open to people gaming it, and Labour historically have been over-represented in opinion polls compared to the result when votes are actually cast. However, the meta-polling is more reliable, and almost as damning, and that would be one hell of a new-leader bounce for the Tories not to be all but wiped out in the next election. The most recent predictions from Electoral Calculus have the SNP as the party in opposition, with the Tories in third place. This is, of course, an artefact of the appalling first-past-the-post system, but the Tories only have themselves to blame for continuing to support (and promote) that anti-democratic system.

Truss's approval ratings might have been in the drain, but Johnson's weren't exactly positive when he was forced out. The public reaction is much more likely to be "once bitten, twice shy," than "oh goody, more Boris please".

Of course, there are still some crazies about parroting "bring Boris back". You see them pop up on the comments on YouGov polls (themselves a right-wing venture, created by a Tory MP), to a flurry of downvotes and very sparse up-votes. Shouting it loudly doesn't make it public opinion, just like chanting "high growth economy" doesn't make one appear from thin air, as Truss has discovered. Time to put away the magical thinking, methinks, and follow the examples of what works; grow an economy by strategically investing during a recession, not by cutting taxes for the rich, and swiping the ground out from under the feet of the working poor, who are the actual foundation of a functioning economy (because they spend their earnings on essentials, and don't extract the money from the economy by squirrelling it away in tax havens).

We're due a Labour government soon. Probably not soon enough, and they'll have a hell of a job to repair the damage 12 years of Tory austerity cuts, pork barrels, corruption and incompetence have done, but hopefully things will stop getting worse.

The only glint of light here, is that those who have screwed up so badly are the hardcore brexiters, and with any luck their demise will also signal the end of that shit-show as well.

1. codejunky Silver badge

@Loyal Commenter

"We're due a Labour government soon. Probably not soon enough, and they'll have a hell of a job to repair the damage 12 years of Tory austerity cuts, pork barrels, corruption and incompetence have done, but hopefully things will stop getting worse."

You have a lot of faith there. I cant see labour undoing any of those except the 'austerity' which existed in name only so business as usual (more spending). I dont see any of them offering anything of any good.

3. NewModelArmy

Here is how the German media reported the chaos in Parliament last night about the voting for fracking.

If you don't speak German, don't worry, it is worth the 13 second wait.

https://twitter.com/ProMediaRes1/status/1583060519908696066

1. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge

Not to nitpick, but she was quoting the supposed statement from one of the Tory whips during that final fracking fracas. She says so, too. A lot of the Twitter comments also seem to miss that (except those who actually speak German and so go the full context).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

that's not the point, the point is the shitstorm. Which would be funny if it wasn't a scene from the Titanic. Which it is. And we're the passangers on deck, while 'they' are those fighting to control the only lifeboat :/

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

We'd be lucky to be on deck, it's predicted that this winter, metaphorically speaking (as I often do), about half of the population will be the ones locked down in steerage, drowning.

2. veti Silver badge

That... deserves a place alongside "the reply given in Arkell v Pressdram" among ways to be rude without falling foul of censors.

3. I am David Jones
        Headmaster

Despite living in Germany a while, I still can’t gauge how offensive English swear words are to Germans. Certainly they don’t baulk at f and s words in songs on the radio.

And ‘shitstorm’ seems to be widely accepted and it always makes me chuckle when I see it as a huge headline on the front page of a serious paper :)

1. MyffyW Silver badge

I think there is much to be said for Shitstorm, a sort of precursor event for a Clusterfsck. But my favourite descriptive word for this autumn's events has to be Cockwomblery

1. Dacarlo

I've always been partial to a good Omnishambles.

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

The current neologism is "Trussterfuck"

2. Stork Silver badge

My experience is that expletives in foreign languages rarely feel as offensive as ones in your native language, it is hard to pick up the emotional reaction.

Even more as there are different ideas of how offensive things are internationally, the English speaking world find procreation more repelling than excretion (it seems), in Danish or German not so much.

3. Trigonoceps occipitalis

i once worked on a committee with a German. He was married to a Canadian and thus spoke English well. He had a strong German accent over laid with a veneer of Canadian English. He also well understood English idiom - those who didn't know him were always surprised by "Ve Vill give them ze whole nine yards!"

4. JoeCool Bronze badge
      FAIL

So .... are you implying the conservative party is not competent to vote for their own leader ?

1. James O'Shea

He's implying that Tories aren't competent.

He's correct.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge
          Thumb Up

Totally agree.

Tories, though, are not unrivelled in their incompetence. Just to name one Corbyn and I could mention more of them, too.

1. Mooseman Silver badge

"Tories, though, are not unrivelled in their incompetence. Just to name one Corbyn "

Corbyn was never in government - that may be a good or bad thing, depending on your point of view - but anything he said or did is irrelevant compared to the imbecilic (if I'm being generous) or malevolent (if I'm not) activities of the tories.

1. CJatCTi

Corbyn did achive one thing - without him Boris wouldn't have achived such a majority.

A favour that is to be returned to the Labour party at the next election, where they will win, not because of who they are but who they are not.

1. Stork Silver badge

Nothing new.

Oppositions don’t win elections, governments loose them.

Headmaster

Cry Havoc, and let loose the elections of war!

Grammar Pedantry: I think you may have meant lose

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

He meant "slip".

"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."

Mark Antony in Act 3, Scene 1, line 273 of William Shakespeare's Julius Caesar.

Yes, well, so oft misquoted it has become de-facto canon. The fact remains that loosing is something you do with the hounds in a Monty-Burns fashion, and losing is that thing that Donald Trump is really bad at.

2. old_n_grey

"Corbyn did achive one thing - without him Boris wouldn't have achived such a majority."

There is an alternate viewpoint that highlights the only real difference between 2017 (when Labour made gains) and 2019 (when they lost loads. Despite achieving a higher percentage of the vote than in 2010 & 2015 they won fewer seats).

Seems the shadow Brexit Secretary decided that Remain would be an option on a 2nd referendum. The result was that 46 of the 47 English seats that Labour lost, the so-called Red Wall, had all voted Leave.

But I guess as party leader Corbyn should take the blame, mainly for not telling the shadow BS to STFU.

Daft really as history has shown that the shadow BS is happy to renege on any commitments made during an election!

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

As a former resident in one of those red wall seats that fell… Racist Britain is alive and well. The folks that put a lettuce in charge over Rishi demonstrated that, as did the red wall on the Brexit vote.

Labour shortages used to be addressed by immigration. Tory voters have made this place so unappealing and offensive to immigrants, so funnily enough, we now have a shortage.

If moving labour from useless red tape and administrative jobs into productive primary and secondary industries is the goal (It should be, to improve productivity) we have to do an awful long way to go to undo 40 years of the School of Thatcher.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

he was never in government, thanks God we never found out.

4. Evil Auditor Silver badge

You've got a point there. If the Tories continue with the exponentially increasing incompetence of party leaders, the next prime minister will likely be a fucking ixodida (although, that does sound a bit unfair towards ticks).

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They have plenty of recent experience so should be seasoned pros by now.

3. R Soul Silver badge

are you implying the conservative party is not competent to vote for their own leader ?

The evidence for that is compelling, given the last three they picked. And the next one.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

The first of the last the three they didn't actually pick - the committee managed to arrange that there wouldn't be a divisive Brexit themed vote around Theresa May

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

the conservative party is not competent

I think you could have ended the sentence right there, really.

5. MyffyW Silver badge

The Conservative Party have been the governing party of Britain for the greater part of the last century:

During this period the country has fallen in stature, both comparative and absolute, by virtually every criterion of measurement which can be applied

- Sleeve notes to Alan Clark's The Tories

6. Lars Silver badge
        Coat

The problem is that there are no competent leaders to vote for.

@Lars

My issue is I cant think of any politician at the moment who is worth voting for and unless something changes soon there wont be anything worth voting for come a GE

2. R Soul Silver badge

"The problem is that there are no competent leaders to vote for."

That lettuce is worth a punt. It beat cheesemonger Liz. Which admittedly doesn't say much. And I'm fairly sure the lettuce won't royally fuck up the economy or our cheese exports within days of becoming prime minister.

That lettuce is likely to be far smarter than the combined intelligence(?) of the Tory party.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The only thing that would have bettered this, would have been if the lettuce had been grown on Jeremy Corbyn's allotment. He missed a trick there. Wrong season, I suppose, but I'm sure on hearing about this, it made him smile.

You may be surprised to hear it, but lettuces do very well as a winter crop, as long as they're protected from a hard frost and the ground isn't frozen, and if you'd planted a seedling a month ago, it would be doing much better than any Tory MP right now...

Which reminds me, I really do need to sow some for this winter...

6. jgarbo
      FAIL

Oh well, back to Bedlam to find another Leader of Great [sic] Britain. Or try the vagrants under Westminster Bridge. And drop the "Great", past a joke.

1. Schultz

And drop the "Great", past a joke.

Somebody should campaign with the slogan: "Make Britain Great Again".

1. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
          Trollface

Re: And drop the "Great", past a joke.

Well, the United Kingdom is finally a KINGdom again. Now lets start working on that "united" bit, shall we?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

A kingdom is ruled by a King

We're a country, so our political leaders are typically ... [insert Norse vulgarity for pudenda here]

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

as a queen we feel deeply offended by this sexist, misogynist comment!

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Great [sic] Britain

ObPedant: The name comes about not as a descriptive of some measure of power or influence but to distinguish it from 'Less Britain' (i.e Brittany).

And it's a name of great provenance, not something thought up in the last few centuries.

(Although the first use of the name was in 148CE by the historian Ptolemy - he calls the larger of the British Isles 'Great Britain' and Ireland he called 'Little Britain'. The Saxons were the ones who used the term with relation to Brittany. First use of the name as an official term was in 1474 - if one believes PikiWedia anyway..)

Obvious solution

Introduce conscription - everyone is forced to be prime minister in turn, at gun point

Re: Obvious solution

@Yet Another Anonymous coward

"everyone is forced to be prime minister in turn, at gun point"

I wouldnt be shocked if this was required as who would want this poison pill in this party or any other?

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

You are quite right: it is not just the prime minister or the conservative party that is the problem. The entire house of commons is a barrier to constructive government. Although the appropriate time is approaching, the problem with the Guy Fawkes solution is they would get replaced by more of the same. I propose replacing the lot with sortition. That way only 50% would be below average intelligence/competence/criminality/...

1. Mooseman Silver badge

"The entire house of commons is a barrier to constructive government."

Really? That was Johnson's approach when unlawfully proroguing parliament to force through his dodgy activities. You're rathe rmissing the point of parliament, unless you think an actual dictatorship is a good thing?

Not really, Johnson took advantage of the myriad weaknesses of the current system, primary amongst them is that the system is based on unwritten rules, trust and honour

It's primary flaws are that it is elected by FPTP and not PR, so is not representative, artificially amplifying small majorities, and failing to represent significant minorities, that the rules are either based on convention, or are arcane (such as not being able to call another member a liar even when they are clearly lying), and that it is fundamentally an adversarial system, and not one of cooperative government, as you would get in a coalition of parties in a PR-elected system. This leads to the system of Whips where MPs are expected to vote along party lines, and not in the interests of their constituents, or the country, so there's no real representation at all of public opinion in parliamentary votes, with the results pretty much dictated by the leader of the party in power.

Let's not get onto the "upper house" and how anti-democratic that is.

There are plenty of parliamentary systems around the world that do not suffer the same problems as ours. It is only our own insular parochialism that prevents us from learning from them.

2. xyz Silver badge

It's like Boss Baby, when everyone was CEO of BabyCorp for about 10 minutes each before they were dumped. The triplets were the best.

3. fidodogbreath

Anyone who wants to be the leader of a major country should be automatically disqualified from the job.

1. lglethal Silver badge
          Mushroom

No you dont need to go that far.

Simply ban anyone who is (or studied to be) a lawyer, union rep, political scientist (gah i feel dirty just using the term), or who's only work experience involves working for a political party, union, an MP's office or a multi-million dollar family business. It might also be good to ban anyone that studied at Oxbridge (or uses the term "read at so and so college" when referring to going to a university), or who went to Eton. But that might be going too far as occasionally good one's pop out (e.g. Ian Hislop).

Maybe then you would get some people in who actually know how to be adults, compromise and come up with solutions, rather than only knowing how to argue vehemently and come up with soundbites.

Wouldn't we then end up with a chamber full of experts with long experience and the time for careful debate unconcerned with sound bites and political manoeuvring?

Plus some Russian oligarchs who bunged the party a few Roubles

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"Plus some Russian oligarchs who bunged the party a few Roubles"

How's this any different from any government we've had in the last 30-40 years?

2. veti Silver badge

We have that already, it's called the House of Lords.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

His cheque cleared. So proles, grovel before Baron Lebedev of Hampton in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames and of Siberia in the Russian Federation.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
            Coat

"Zero Truss Architecture"

Good start.

Indeed zero trust in any politician?

How could you make such a political system work.

That's left as an exercise for the student.

Re: "Zero Truss Architecture"

@John Smith 19

"Indeed zero trust in any politician?

How could you make such a political system work."

Government is limited to the jobs we need government for.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
            Unhappy

"only knowing how to argue vehemently and come up with soundbites."

Which is pretty much what having a PPE degree (which both Sunak and Truss have and which also seems to be a common denomiator among the various data fetishists at MI5/6/GCHQ).

It seems to give them the skills to argue that black is white and the arrogance to believe they are always right.

Even when they are not.

The Johnson's support for Truss has been fully justified.

Note how quickly he cancelled his "Holiday" to return to the UK. Not exactly the behaviour of someone who has totally walked away from wanting the top spot.

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

Re: "only knowing how to argue vehemently and come up with soundbites."

Yes, PPE is a simply a degree in arguing the toss. BoJo studied the Classics which means he’s well versed in all the finer points of Greek & Roman politics - where the knives weren't metaphorical!

Read his parliamentary speeches as leader, they displayed utter self confidence*, he really is expecting to find a way back to the top but obviously didn't expect Truss to burn down the economy a week into the job proper, so the question now is will he jump at the chance or play the long game party unity card and wait until a more favourable moment be a loyal(ish) supporter for the good of the country.

*to the point of not giving a flying one what almost anyone else thinks about him or his personal actions, this underpinned his not fully grasping that while the British public will put up with a lot in their leaders (if the job is being done well enough) they don't like hypocrites.

2. Red Ted
          FAIL

From the late great Douglas Adams:

“The major problem—one of the major problems, for there are several—one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them.

“To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.

“To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”

The man had a lot of political wisdom:

“On its world, the people are people. The leaders are lizards. The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."

"Odd," said Arthur. "I thought you said it was a democracy."

"I did," said Ford. "It is."

"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"

"It honestly doesn't occur to them," said Ford. "They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they voted in more or less approximates to the government they want."

"You mean they actually vote for the lizards?"

"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."

"But," said Arthur, going in for the big one again, "why?"

"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard," said Ford, "the wrong lizard might get in.”

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>>>who would want this poison pill in this party or any other?

Plenty of power-hungry sociopaths to choose from still.

2. Triggerfish

Every time we get rid of one I think a stake through the heart just to make sure is in order.

At the currently exponentially decreasing tenure we are soon going to reach the stage of prime-ministers / second and this would cause massive deforestation.

2. sabroni Silver badge
        Unhappy

Re: Every time we get rid of one I think a stake through the heart just to make sure is in order.

Double tap!

Otherwise, you think they're dead but they come back....

3. ciaran
      IT Angle

My take at a solution is to choose members of parliament by lottery:

- anyone eligible must submit a form saying they agree to drop their current activities for 4 or 5 years

- no need for political parties, no funding for political parties.

- the group chosen decides on a leadership committee

- all members get an office and a budget, and can work on whatever preoccupies them

- including hiring auditors and running tribunals

- members can pool budgets on a year-by-year basis

- the role of government is like a board of directory, they're not there to take decisions

- the civil service takes decisions under guidance of the leadership committee.

1. David Nash Silver badge

But how could you prevent political parties emerging? you can't really prevent free association with like-minded people.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Here national political parties aren't allowed at the city mayor/council elections.

So you get "parties" who are owned by either the Police union or the property developers.

You can tell which because they are all called "Safer CITY" or "CITY growth"

2. T. F. M. Reader

- the civil service takes decisions under guidance of the leadership committee.

@ciaran is Sir Humphrey Appleby and I claim my 5 quid.

3. Twanky

MAKES decisions.

You can take a decision only if you're offered more than one of them. If you're any good you make a decision out of original thoughts.

The connotation is that the people offering the menu of decisions really haven't finished the job so I had to take the least bad decision they offered.

I blame Tony Blair for this construction finding its way into UK politics.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

4. rcxb Silver badge

You know... Trump may be available.

1. James O'Shea

Take him. Please. We'll pay you to take him.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

So the punishment for sedition is to be made British Prime-minister?

Seems harsh

5. Potemkine! Silver badge

At it seems you get a £115,000 annual grant for life for being an ex-prime minister, there may be a lot of candidates without requiring a gun.

== Bring us Dabbsy back! ==

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Seems a little over the top for 6 weeks work.....

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Seems a little over the top for 6 weeks work....."

Work?

2. ThatOne Silver badge

> it seems you get a £115,000 annual grant for life for being an ex-prime minister

Really? Can I be prime minister, please, just for a day?... I promise I won't break anything.

6. Mooseman Silver badge

" everyone is forced to be prime minister in turn"

Do we al get the lifelong £100k + pension if we do?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Check the icon, I'm running for office now!

This makes me think that Truss is smarter than Johnson. Brexit is "done", the Prime Minister Election is "done" and we're just moving forward, the past is past again. This illustrates that getting things done is not the same as getting things working (yes the icon is only a joke).

4. Pierre 1970
    Pint

As an argie, joining Monty Python and Borges in one sentence made my day, if not the week, month or even the whole year.

>made my day, if not the week, month or even the whole year.

So we're friends now ?

1. Pierre 1970

Yeap...just forget the hand of god

I blame the Ref.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

I blame the Ref

Don't tell the Germans!

5. chivo243 Silver badge
    Trollface

Export please!

I'm thinking other countries would benefit from this 1922 group of political assassins! A lot of them!

1. devin3782
      Joke

Re: Export please!

Who assassin their target by shooting them through their own heads. Calling yourselves the 1922 tells you all you need to know about their general outlook

As opposed to the 1911 committee where they just give you a pistol and one bullet

2. Joe W Silver badge

How about 1812? With cannons?

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

1066, with an arrow?

1. jake Silver badge

Time flies like and arrow, and all that?

1. SonofRojBlake

Fruit flies like a banana?

2. Irony Deficient

1066, with an arrow?

The 66,000,000 BC Committee, with a candlestick in the library an asteroid?

Re: 1066, with an arrow?

The 66,000,000 BC Committee

With Rachel Welsh in a fur bikini?

Hmmmm..

3. ThatOne Silver badge
        Devil

> Calling yourselves the 1922 tells you all you need to know about their general outlook

Sounds like a street gang name...

Unhappy

"'m thinking other countries would benefit from this 1922 group of political assassins!"

It's a little more subtle than that.

The Chairman calls on the PM and simply explains that (effectively) the back benchers, who make up the actual majority in the House are withdrawing their labour. The PM is now in charge of a party in name only.

Theoretically a Conservative PM (and there is no equivalent in the Labour party) could say "F**k you I'm staying till the election comes round" but all of them so far have been either actual human beings (or close enough to one) to tender their resignation and leave with a bit of dignity, possibly even with a tear in their eye.

More quietly leaving the front door open on the house whose mortage you can no longer afford rather than being dragged out by a couple of baliffs.

Re: "'m thinking other countries would benefit from this 1922 group of political assassins!"

Parliamentary democracy, any incumbent PM is expendable and can be replaced in short order.

Should any PM ignore their own parties calls to go a general vote in the house can remove them and give the sitting majority a short time to pick a new leader or force a general election.

Bottom line - In the UK, the PM runs the executive branch of government at the behest of parliament.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: "'m thinking other countries would benefit from this 1922 group of political assassins!"

That's the theory. However the last 4-5 prime ministers lacked the ability between them to run a bath. As for running a government....

However the last 4-5 prime ministers lacked the ability between them to run a bath

I think May mostly suffered from the Major Syndrome - usually explained as having a Cabinet that hated you and each other..

6. Dunstan Vavasour

Online Leadership Election

Not sure about running the members' ballot online...

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/kemi-badenoch-admits-she-hacked-a-labour-mps-website-to-say-nice-things-about-the-tories-142388

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Happy

Not sure about running the members' ballot online...

Not at all.

Who within the Conservative party voted Truss (and before her the Johnson) in?

Old codgers.

And what thing are most rich old codgers not very good at?

A simple yet effective filter which (along with the 100 signature minimum rule) should limit the opportunites for the more Ahole end of the party from having any chance of selection.

2. Ordinary Donkey

Re: Online Leadership Election

That's why I support Kemi.

Not that she has a chance, at this rate Boris will come back on Halloween and it won't even be funny.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Then rather Boris. He's pompous and basking in the limelight, but lazy and doesn't get anything done. Badenoch (1) is a far-right zealot who would, like Truss, go over the top to please the lower half of the Daily Mail readers within the first week (this time on "security" rather than the economy.

(1) Who makes up those names? We have an attorney called Suella, somebody trying to show her "bad" credentials called Badenough, and a Cleverly who isn't overly so. If we are indeed characters in an alien soap opera, it's rather badly written.

Unhappy

an attorney called Suella, somebody... called Badenough*, and a Cleverly

And as someone pointed out "Gutto Bebb" is not in fact a henchman of Jabba the Hutt but an actual Conservative political commentator.

As they say "Politics makes for strange bedfellows."

TBH I keep thinking of her as "Bad Enoch"

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Perhaps you can explain when feminism became far right? It gets confusing for us cis males.

7. 45RPM Silver badge

If an election isn’t called now then democracy in this country is well and truly dead (at least for the time being), and it’s been looking suspiciously nailed to its perch in this country ever since Brexit.

It seems that we get whoever the tabloids (including that honorary tabloid, The Maily Telegraph) want us to get, and the majority of the population is too bovine and slow on a diet of social media to question the idiocy of voting Conservative or supporting whatever Farage is doing these days.

A group of elected Tory MPs elect a committee to elect who becomes the next PM - that's like democracy**3, you can't get much more democracy than that !

1. David Nash Silver badge

Amusing comment but that isn't what happens! The committee oversee the election process, which takes place among the party members.

I do think there should be a way for the population at large to demand a general election though.

I thought the complaint was that the PM was ultimately chosen by 100,000 ancient golf-club party members and it would be more democratic if they were chosen directly by MPs (guided by the whips)

guided by the whips

Ooh - we're allowed to whip MPs? Politics is suddenly much more interesting..

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

I do think there should be a way for the population at large to demand a general election though.

I'm not so sure. We'd end up having one every month.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I do think there should be a way for the population at large to demand a general election

There are lots of ways to demand a general election. None of those has any legal and factual weight though. Other than, perhaps, mass-storming the parliament and 'asking' the honourable gentle-men and gentle-wemen to consider immediate election. But that would be decried as 'undemocratic' and 'blackmail' and 'peasants' revolt 2.0' and Ben the Wallace would have to declare martial law and proclaim himself the Lord Protector of the Nukes and Minor Systems. Which, he appears not to be inclined to do. Well, I've run out of ideas, and it's not even Friday yet. Or is it?

2. Mooseman Silver badge

"

A group of elected Tory MPs elect a committee to elect who becomes the next PM - that's like democracy**3, you can't get much more democracy than that !"

But apparently that was "undemocratic" when the EU did it.

2. alain williams Silver badge

General Election

If the new government (led by whoever Prime Minister) followed roughly the 2019 Tory manifesto then I would be content to not have a GE. If they do not then a GE should be mandatory.

(I will accept changes mandated by unforseeable events like Covid & Putin's war.)

I pity satire writers - they must be struggling to keep up and find that events are more surreal than they could invent.

1. Ordinary Donkey

Re: General Election

To be fair, Tim Farron's twitter is a goldmine for satirists right now.

3. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge
      Facepalm

"Democracy doesn't count when I disagree with the outcome"

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That's the MAGA Republicans' position in a nutshell.

Although rather more eloquently and with multiple syllables

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
            Windows

So, more like "Not win. Stole vote. Vote wrong!!"

2. hplasm
        Meh

"Democracy doesn't count when I disagree with the outcome"

Username checks out...

4. veti Silver badge

Nonsense. Democracy in the UK is doing its job, as proven by the fact that Truss is gone.

Compare her with Trump, who held his job for a full term despite doing far worse.

There's a lot of misconceptions about what elections are for. You don't vote for a set of policies or ideas, because everyone knows that what politicians say they'll do has only coincidental correspondence with what they actually end up doing. (And that's not, or at least not just, because they were lying, it's because you don't know until you get there what the real constraints are.)

What you vote for is a person whom you think will do the best job of promoting the sort of things you agree with. It's a contest of trust, that's all. And at the last election, the British people put their trust in the wunch of bankers known as the Tories. (And frankly I'm still pretty sure they were right to do so. Remember what the alternative was.)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

"Democracy in the UK is doing its job, as proven by the fact that Truss is gone."

It also did its job by getting her in in the first place.

Don't the two cancel each other out?

5. SundogUK Silver badge

"...and the majority of the population is too bovine and slow on a diet of social media to question..."

So it's the public's fault, not the Conservative Party's. Make up your mind, do you want democracy or not?

1. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge

No he does not.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please help me here

Just what is this article doing on a tech blog? Was

it posted here by mistake?

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: Please help me here

Didn't you read?

An online lettuce outlasted the PM.

An online lettuce.

It involves a computer, it's bloody well tech!

1. TimMaher Silver badge
        Headmaster

And... it’s flagged as a boot note.

1. b0llchit Silver badge
          Coat

...boot note...

How remarkably accurate. Did it leave any marks? on the lettuce, of course

2. that one in the corner Silver badge

This makes me so happy

It's like a return to the Glory Days of El Reg, when we had to point out "bootnotes" to someone demanding to know what the IT angle is. Thank you, thank you.

Ah, memories. What days we used to share.

Re: This makes me so happy

>It's like a return to the Glory Days of El Reg,

You're suggesting Dabbsy for PM?

1. jake Silver badge
              Pint

He buggered off to France.

Probably didn't want to be press-ganged into the job. Smart man, that.

Well he wouldn't have gone to avoid the strikes :o)

2. Stork Silver badge

Boris buggered off to dinner lectures. I suppose Dabbsy’s main problem (if he was interested) is that he is not MP

2. Paul Herber Silver badge

' it's bloody well tech!'

Now, I've warned you before, don't call me techy!

2. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge

El Reg went left wing about 5 years ago sadly.

They're going to have a stroke when Boris comes back.

1. NewModelArmy

I don't see many people complaining about this article. Take it for what it is, a bit of fun.

Maybe the people who frequent this website are left leaning, but that is everyone's right, and not the fault of the website.

El Reg didn't used to be left leaning. That only started when they started courting the student reader in 2017.

Politics articles aren't fun, even if they are.

1. NewModelArmy

The articles i read have no political bias. This site is not any leaning, just a report of the facts and opinion etc., on tech stuff.

Taking the mickey, where it is well deserved, is not left leaning, just a bit of fun.

2. logicalextreme

Not the worst reaction given his track record tbh

3. John H Woods Silver badge

If "Boris" comes back I'll have a party, as it's the final nail in their coffin.

I know what the members want, but it doesn't match what the voters want. It's a lesson that Labour learned with Corbyn, and it looks like the Conservatives have yet to learn it.

The other lesson that people are finally learning is that "Reality has a liberal bias" -- Prof. Brian Cox

"Facts have a liberal bias" was Rob Corddry (writer for the Colbert daily show) in 2004, originally said about Bush's invasion of Iraq

1. Primus Secundus Tertius

The invasion of Iraq struck me as the folly of two religious men, Bush and Blair, against the relatively non-religious Saddam Hussein who was turning Iraq into a modern secular state give or take the torturing of his opponents.

The only difference being that Saddam wasn't democratically elected - presumably why the CIA didn't coup him before he did 9/11 with WMDs

2. Paul Johnston
              Mushroom

Just come back from Iraq, not sure how modern a secular state can be considered if it gasses it's own people.

>if it gasses it's own people.

They were Kurds, everybody gasses the Kurds

Unhappy

They were Kurds, everybody gasses the Kurds

Indeed. A popular passtime in Syria, and Iraq, and I'm sure Turkey and Iran too if they had any spare gas. Because.....

Their ba***ds.

How dare they think that just because they are one people split across 4 nations borders due to boundaries they had no say in the writing of (and whose lands sit on top of quite a lot of oil) they think they should have any say in what happens to themselves or the oil they are sitting on top of.

The audacity

You'd think they were human beings.....

2. SundogUK Silver badge

"Reality has a liberal bias"

But Starmer cannot tell you what a woman is?

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Of course he can't, he isn't one.

On the other hand, anyone bringing up that particular bit of manufactured outrage should be ignored. Sorry about that.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: If "Boris" comes back I'll have a party, as it's the final nail in their coffin.

it won't be the first final nail in the coffin. Or the 2nd. Or the last. I don't know... think Mogg, how about that?! It can always get worse! ;)

4. Twanky

If "Boris" comes back I'll have a party, as it's the final nail in their coffin.

I know what the members want, but it doesn't match what the voters want...

Does that mean that what the voters wanted in 2019 shouldn't have been taken away from them?

I know we're not supposed to vote directly for our Prime Ministers (unless we're in their constituencies) but if ever a UK GE was a 'personality' contest then 2019 was it.

Of course, voters change their minds from time to time but claiming to know that what members want doesn't match what voters want is a bit of a leap in the dark.

My personal opinion is that Bojo might still be an attractive option to the voters who effectively put him in charge in 2019. I don't like that as an idea but it is my 2p opinion.

4. codejunky Silver badge

@Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells

"They're going to have a stroke when Boris comes back."

I dont know how that would balance for my opinion. Early Boris showed some promise but later on my opinion wasnt so positive. Yet watching the shrieking and crying could be quite amusing.

His promise was promising. His actions were cowardly and driven by focus groups.

My hope is that when he returns he deselects Sunak, Gove etc and governs with some balls.

( Although installing KK as chancellor is probably too much to ask ).

1. Stork Silver badge

Anyone paying attention to BJ’s promises is wasting time.

He built his career on lying, he has now been sacked for it three times.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"El Reg went left wing about 5 years ago sadly."

Or perhaps oneself lurched to the right? As oldfolk tend to.

Happy

They sacked some writers (eg: Tim Warstall) and changed political direction on Jan 1st 2017.

Also, I'm under 40. And I've always been a Tory ( except when I was a student but you're meant to be stupid when you know nothing ).

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

If you're still a Tory now then you've learned nothing.

Being conservative (small c) is defensible, but supporting what the Tory Party have now become is proof of insanity.

I'm not a small c 'conservative'. Big 'c' Conservative only.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Your a big C all right. A four letter one, and rhymes with the chancellors surname.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Tim Worstall? The UKIP press officer and failed UKIP candidate? Oh very balanced.

So no longer pandering to rightwing confirmation bias equals a shift left? Okaaaaay. I guess if you are out on the edge of the right that could be your perception.

Onthe other hand, glad to see a Conservative voter owning this shitshow.

I didn't say it used to be balanced. But it isn't balanced now either.

Which is fine, their shout. I'm just pointing it out.

7. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The Reg is pretty much where it always was - it's politics that lurched to the right with Brexit and hasn't looked back

8. Mooseman Silver badge

"They're going to have a stroke when Boris comes back."

If bozo becomes PM then you can kiss any illusion of democracy goodbye.

9. Lars Silver badge
        Happy

@Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells

Everything is left wing when you are on the far right.

@Lars

"Everything is left wing when you are on the far right."

Just as everything is right wing the further left the politicians go.

1. Lars Silver badge
            Pint

@codejunky

Yes of course, but it's worse in a two party country where everything is either or.

In most countries, countries with several parties you have a center and a center left or right (most people) and then the more or less far right or far left.

This represents the people (any country) a lot better than the either or system still in use in some countries, sadly.

Also it creates coalition governments and as the Wiki points out.

"A 2001 World Bank study found that parliamentary systems are associated with less corruption."

2. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge

Thinking that the state shouldn't keep growing forever until it consumes 100% of GDP isn't far-right.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Thinking that the state shouldn't keep growing forever until it consumes 100% of GDP isn't far-right."

Sounds like PROJECT FEAR.

3. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

The technology to display a HD full colour live lettuce to the world has taken decades. Once we were only able to show a single black+white coffee pot at 64x64 pixels

1. Paul Herber Silver badge

'black+white coffee'

coffee cannot be black and white at the same time (except Schroedinger's coffee)

1. Primus Secundus Tertius

Oh yes it can: when the cream is made to float on the black coffee beneath.

<sings>.... coffee and latte, living together in perfect harmony,......

4. NewModelArmy

It is so that we can comment on current affairs about Truss to add some levity and humour to the seriousness.

Just a bit of fun and to vent peoples spleen.

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
        IT Angle

I see you're very new here (Did you Regomise (from Liz) to Lis (For that is not her name)), it's helpful to use the Where's The IT Angle? (Icon supplied).

5. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Free speech, duh

The UK PM - not a trivial role, only the leader of a G7 nuclear power - has had a total meltdown and resigned weeks into the job. That'll make a good story. Especially with the online lettuce.

Also, we're not a blog. We have offices and tea cups and a CFO. So, nerr.

C.

1. Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?

Re: Free speech, duh

Also, we're not a blog. We have offices and tea cups and a CFO. So, nerr.

Oh wow, I've not heard anyone say "So, nerr" in nearly 20 years, never mind seeing it written down! Pint and an upvote just for that!

1. cyberdemon Silver badge
          Pint

You forgot the pint, Mr. Niblick :)

1. DS999 Silver badge

Perhaps he was assuming the not-a-blog Register also has an on premises kegerator for an end of the day pint? Or is that only Silicon Valley startups?

1. jake Silver badge

"Or is that only Silicon Valley startups?"

What, you don't have one?

Shirley you didn't waste 2 years of Covid lockdown by not learning to brew your own beer?

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
                Pint

Before lockdown, the hard at work journalistic brain cells were being lubricated by a Beer Delivery Robot...

https://www.theregister.com/2018/05/08/lester_eyes_locomotion/

2. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

in nearly 20 years

Damn, I may have just given away my age. Thanks for the pint. Make it a gin.

C.

>The UK PM - not a trivial role, only the leader of a G7 nuclear power

Now I'm depressed....

Kim Jong-un is also the leader of a nuclear power. Not a G7 nation, but their economy might be in better shape than ours right now, Now THAT is depressing.

1. veti Silver badge

Last I checked, North Korea's GDP was smaller than that of Somerset.

Which may be a comforting thought. Until you consider what it implies about what it takes to become a nuclear power...

So Devon had better watch out ?

Coat

Oh $deity

India/China

Pakistan/India

Russia/China

Russia/America

Devon/Somerset.

Nuclear-armed Zomerzet on one side and pastie-armed Kernow on the other with only an incorrectly-applied cream tea scone to defend themselves with?

Kernow bys vikken!

(I should point out that my wife is from Plymouth and her paternal ancestry is all Cornish. Me - I'm the end result of the melting pot that is the Forest of Dean. It's amazing that I don't have six toes on each foot..)

1. jake Silver badge

"It's amazing that I don't have six toes on each foot."

Nowt wrong with being polydactyl. Some of my favorite cats, etc. etc.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
                  Joke

"Me - I'm the end result of the melting pot that is the Forest of Dean. It's amazing that I don't have six toes on each foot.."

Maybe you do. Have you considered obtaining a second opinion from someone who can count?

2. 42656e4d203239 Silver badge
              Mushroom

>>GDP was smaller than that of Somerset.

>>Which may be a comforting thought. Until you consider what it implies about what it takes to become a nuclear power...

Don't give the minister for the middle ages (MP for North East Somerset, snoozer in chief of the house of commons, he of the passive agressive notes left on desks of people who weren't there - which of course they wouldn't read, not being there) any ideas!

3. Mooseman Silver badge

"Last I checked, North Korea's GDP was smaller than that of Somerset. Which may be a comforting thought. Until you consider what it implies about what it takes to become a nuclear power..."

Russia has the same GDP as Netherlands and Belgium.

1. Lars Silver badge
                Happy

@Mooseman

No that is not true, the Netherlands and Belgium don't even together have the same GDP as Russia. Using the 2022 estimates in the Wikipedia.

The value for Russia right now of course is anybody's guess. (the less the better).

1. Mooseman Silver badge

"Using the 2022 estimates in the Wikipedia."

Netherlands GDP per capita in 2019 was 52,450 USD - 1018.01 billion US dollars GPD total

Russia's GDP per capita in 2019 was 11,580 USD - 1699.90 billion US dollars GDP total

Belgium's GDP per capita in 2019 was 46,120 USD - 599.88 billion US dollars GDP total

So Russia had about 82 billion more GDP in 2019 than Netherlands and Belgium. (source: tradingeconomics,com and world bank)

By 2021 this had changed a little, Belgium had a GDP per capita of 517678, Netherlands had 58061, and Russia had 10219.75. I suspect by now these figures for Russia are wildly out.

I wouldn't rely on wikipedia as a reliable source for much, let alone forecast estimates.

4. Stork Silver badge

Not that much, really. Apparently Sweden was about half a year away in the late sixties but decided against.

5. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

about what it takes to become a nuclear power

Spending all your money on the project and letting your people starve to death?

6. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Last I checked, North Korea's GDP was smaller than that of Somerset."

It seems to be about double that of Somerset.

Nth Korea $28.5 billion (nominal, 2016) $40 billion (PPP, 2015 est.)

Somerset In 2019, Somerset's economy was worth almost £12.1bn in Gross Value Added (GVA) terms...The Somerset economy has grown for the last seven consecutive years.

Clearly Somerset is catching up but has a ways to go yet :-)

Having said that, I'm not sure GDP is a useful measure when it comes to talking about a pariah state that has few trading partners and of whose internal markets we know so little.

3. Vometia has insomnia. Again. Silver badge

...and the wrong dictionary!

But partial forgiveness for saying "so ner", I thought I was the only one who still did that and was beginning to feel a bit silly.

1. jake Silver badge

I still use "groovy" occasionally :-)

1. John 110

That's cool, Jake

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

> I still use "groovy" occasionally :-)

So do I, but my formative years were the eighties and nineties so my 'Groovy' is taken from Ash in Evil Dead II finding the chainsaw.

3. Vometia has insomnia. Again. Silver badge

Same. And "daddio" to refer to squares.

4. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

I still use "groovy" occasionally

My go-to phrase is "no worries" despite never having been to Australia, lived with an Australian or even spent much time with one socially.

Life is odd. Lunchtime especially so.

1. jake Silver badge

I use "no worries" occasionally, too. Not sure where Australia comes into it ... I got it from my Grandfather, Northern California, early '60s. (Probably earlier.)

4. MJB7

Don't forget "permanent member of the UN Security Council"

5. jake Silver badge

I'm just surprised at the lack of "Conservative Party tries to fix hernia with Truss, fails miserably. Nausea, vomiting and fever continue throughout the Party." or words to that effect.

"Conservative Party tries to fix hernia with Truss,

Indeed. Truss's departure is a sad loss. :-(

To headline writers and anyone wanting to make snarky comments about the average age of Conservative party members. So many opportunites to take the p**s.

For those in the UK whose mortgages and energy bills went up (because UK electricity prices follow gas prices and what currency is gas bought in?) it's several weeks overdue.

TBF to mad Lizzie she did what she promised the Party members she was going to do and she had as much support as Iain Duncan Smith (who was one of her supporters) had when he was elected by the membership. IDS lasted IIRC about 18 months. Not very happy times for parliament back them either.

6. First Light
      IT Angle

If you want an IT angle, here it is. The UK government is about to be run by the son-in-law of the founder, and husband of a major investor/owner, of Infosys the second largest IT company in India with a market cap of US$75bn, the worlds 160th most valuable company (by market cap)..

Perhaps outsourcing is the solution?

PMQs can be answered by 'My-name-is-John-how-can-I-help-you' with an Indian accent telling you to turn it off and on again

1. James O'Shea

I believe that Sonia Gandhi is available. I'm sure that she can't possibly do worse than Liz Truss.

1. The commentard formerly known as Mister_C

Sonia of off Stock, Aitkin & Waterman would do a better job than Lettuce Truss

>Stock, Aitkin & Waterman would do a better job than Lettuce Truss

So a PM who is never gonna give you up Never gonna let you down Never gonna run around and desert you Never gonna make you cry Never gonna say goodbye Never gonna tell a lie, and hurt you ?

1. Korev Silver badge
                Pint

Well played Sir

2. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Rick Astley is still going strong...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
                Coat

"PM who is never gonna give you up Never gonna let you down"

OMG.

We've been Rick rolled.

7. jake Silver badge

Lis, welcome to Bootnotes.

ElReg is a RedTop, they have to publish this kind of thing once in a while or they get kicked out of the guild. Thus, Bootnotes.

Besides, all work and no play makes for a dull Vulture.

8. DexterWard

‘Liz Truss’ is a failed AI experiment. Hence that strange way of talking

>‘Liz Truss’ is a failed AI experiment. Hence that strange way of talking

Stepford wives by Lucas Electronics ?

Ah, so that's why she never goes out when it's raining :-)

9. DanceMan
      IT Angle

This is not merely an IT site. It's also a community.

Definitely part of the "care in the ...."

9. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

seeing how things work (or don't) over there...

OFTEN makes me wish we had an easier system over here in Yankville to remove leaders early. One bad one after another in an endless stream of bovine excrement. Only difference is the type of excrement and upon whom it falls...

Re: seeing how things work (or don't) over there...

>OFTEN makes me wish we had an easier system over here in Yankville to remove leaders early

I thought you had a very efficient system - you just need to expand it beyond Dallas

2. chivo243 Silver badge
      Coat

Maybe they could, ya know, Export it? I'm sure other countries could use it...

3. David Nash Silver badge

The problem is, the little people don't get to remove the leaders early. Only the members of parliament, on the same side as the failing leader. And then they only do it if they think it's in their personal interest, of course.

"The problem is, the little people don't get to remove the leaders early."

Under some circumstances, the constituents can remove their MP. if that MP happens to be the PM...well :-)

Thumb Up

... the constituents can remove their MP. if that MP happens to be the PM...well :-)

An under appreciated fact of the UK system. It's called a recall petition.

You can't lead the Parliementary Party (of any party) if you don't have a seat in parliament.

IIRC it takes a petition of 10% of the people on the electorial roll.

1. phils

Re: ... the constituents can remove their MP. if that MP happens to be the PM...well :-)

The petition process can only take start though if the MP in question has been one of

convicted of an offence and received a custodial sentence (including a suspended sentence) or ordered to be detained, other than solely under mental health legislation

Or

barred from the House of Commons for 10 sitting days or 14 calendar days

Or

convicted of providing false or misleading information for allowance claims under the Parliamentary Standards Act 2009.

Re: ... the constituents can remove their MP. if that MP happens to be the PM...well :-)

>You can't lead the Parliementary Party (of any party) if you don't have a seat in parliament.

Is that necessarily true? Pretty sure we have had Green Party leaders who weren't MPs

And with Alec Douglas-Home we nearly had a PM who wasn't an MP

You can be a party leader without being an MP, but in general, you can't be a PM if you are not an MP, ie the leader of the Parliamentary party, the one in power. But, under certain circumstances, the Monarch can invite someone, anyone, to try to form a government if there are issues such as a hung Parliament and little prospect of a coalition.

2. veti Silver badge

Well yes, but why do they do it? What makes it "in their personal interest"?

I'll give you a hint, it begins with "public".

4. cmdrklarg

Eh, we tried to remove the Florida Orange Man early (twice!), unfortunately his cronies in the Senate sat on their hands and blocked it.

Make it easier? Nah, that just would be another way to subvert elections.

1. jake Silver badge

The problem with removing Orange Idiot in Chief early was that his replacement, that fucking nutcase Pence, was/is so bad that not even the conservative ultra-right old guard wanted him in the oval office, not even for a couple of months ...

Why do you think Cheeto hired him for the job? Made his spot in the White House bullet-proof for four years.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

“an easier system over here in Yankville”

Well Jan 6th was the experiment and it failed miserably.

Thankfully

Wasn't that an attempt to keep an de-elected leader rather than defenestration an elected one?

Unless you think the purpose was to decapitate Pence

10. First Light
    FAIL

Face like thunder

Her face at that podium, full of suppressed rage!

These jokers want power without responsibility.

And the lettuce actually won.

1. R Soul Silver badge

Re: Face like thunder

Indeed. Being defeated by a lettuce is going to look great on cheesmonger Truss's CV.

1. cyberdemon Silver badge
        Devil

Probably most pissed off about the prospect being evicted from Chequers (by a lettuce, no less). She certainly seemed to spend more time there than in dingy No. 10 or indeed Parliament.

I'd vote that we turn Chequers into a lettuce farm managed by the national trust, open to the public and putting the land to good use growing lettuces for the nation instead of being a cushy Pile of laurels for the PM to sit on.

Ministers (and Prime Ministers) are supposed to SERVE the country, not pretend as if they own it!

1. jake Silver badge

Perhaps the Ministers (including the Prime Minister) should be made to serve salads to poor people one day per month, as a reminder that once elected they are supposed to leave their Salad Days behind them.

Might as well do something with that old lettuce ...

2. James O'Shea

John Assscroft was defeated by a dead guy... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_United_States_Senate_election_in_Missouri

Yes, he lost to a zombi...

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

She has two claims to fame.

First UK PM to serve under two monarchs

Shortest term UK PM EVAR!!

That last, along with so many other negative firsts will be what she's remembered for. If she's remembered at all. A modern day Lady Jane Grey? Who?... asks nearly everyone?

1. John H Woods Silver badge

Ah the 9 day Queen... Who, to be fair, didn't really want it.

2. jmch Silver badge

"First UK PM to serve under two monarchs"

Maybe I'm missing something fundamental here about the nature of UK's monarchy and/or parliament, but surely (a) every PM who was PM when the previous monarch died has served under 2 monarchs and (b) both the institutions of PM and the monarchy are old enough for there to have been several dead monarchs in the interim??

Indeed, a few minutes Googling reveals not only a certain W. Churchill who served under George 6 and Liz 2, but that Baldwin served under 3 monarchs (George 5, Edward 8, George 6) due to Ed 8's abdication

Facepalm

The shortest serving UK PM, under the longest serving UK Monarch.

Liz Truss 0 Liz Windsor 1

Worth remembering that when she was a Lib Dem, she supported the abolition of the monarchy

3. Irony Deficient

First UK PM to serve under two monarchs

Not by a long shot — Churchill was PM under two monarchs (George VI. and Elizabeth II.), as was Baldwin (Edward VIII. and George VI.), Viscount Melbourne (William IV. and Victoria), the Duke of Wellington (George IV. and William IV.), the Earl of Liverpool (George III. and George IV.), and Walpole (George I. and George II.).

Re: First UK PM to serve under two monarchs

Perhaps... "First Female PM to serve under 2 monarchs"?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Pulling straws?

about that podium... how is one to think of 'stability' when the podium is a Jenga tower?

1. First Light

Re: Pulling straws?

But the lettuce looks quite good sat there

https://i2-prod.dailystar.co.uk/incoming/article28289617.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/0_Truss-Government-In-Turmoil-After-Confusion-Over-Resignations-And-Fractious-Night-In-The-Commons.jpg

4. that one in the corner Silver badge

Podoum? PODIUM??

That is a LECTERN!

Bah, youngsters, believing everything they hear on Pointless.

Now, if they elect the lettuce to Number 10 (could do worse) and it gives a speech whilst plonked on top of the lectern, *then* it would a podium. Though, like an oyster, a lettuce has very few feet (if any). Oh, I'm taking my lettuce for walkies...

Mmmm, thank you Nurse. What a day it's been.

1. Fading
        Coat

I for one welcome our new Asteraceae overlords....

11. First Light

Infosys will be happy

It's looking like the Son-In-Law will be the next PM! Good times a-coming for Infosys!

Re: Infosys will be happy

Would he want the job?

I'm not sure Indian parents would approve of their son giving up a promising career in finance to become a stand-up

2. R Soul Silver badge

Re: Infosys will be happy

And look on the bright side: no more juicy IT contracts to Crapita, Fujistu, IBM, Accenture, etc. Maybe

12. Dizzy Dwarf

Got the popcorn ready for Question Time

Already feeling sorry for tonight's sacrificial Tory

Re: Got the popcorn ready for Question Time

Wouldn't you be tempted to just go on and laugh hysterically for 30mins ?

2. David Nash Silver badge

At least she considerately resigned on a Thursday, in time for the recording of both The News Quiz and Have I got News for You which go out tomorrow.

1. Korev Silver badge

Her timing did screw up the last ever Mock the Week though...

>Her timing did screw up the last ever Mock the Week though...

Was it going to be her and Frankie as an all-stars team ?

Unhappy

on a Thursday, in time for..The News Quiz &Have I got News for You which go out tomorrow.

I believe there is also something called "Friday Night Live" hosted by a "Ben Elton" that may also have some interest in the matter.

13. Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?

I suppose the saving grace is that the length of time denoted by "A Truss" (44 days) is marginally longer than "A Kwarteng" (38 days).

Seriously, how long do you actually have to hold a job to truly say you did it?

1. EnviableOne

a day is enough to qualify for the pension apparently

And quite good it is too - a bit ironic given what she did to the pension funds.

2. NewModelArmy
      Happy

About a day.

My transit time is approximately 18 hours.

3. Dave 126 Silver badge

I believe that all former PMs retain a car and driver for life, as well as police protection. However, my source is Jeremy Paxman's book The Political Animal published (and read) yonks ago, so maybe it's changed.

4. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

E-z money

Regardless, she gets to dip into an annual 115k GBP allowance for the rest of her life. She can use the funds to expense stuff if there's a public duty angle to it – police protection, correspondence, meetings, etc.

Past PMs have all used their allowances.

C.

1. R Soul Silver badge

Re: E-z money

What are the chances Truss spends that allowance on cheese? Or maybe some lettuce.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Pork Futures.

use the funds to expense stuff

AARRRGGGHHHHH !

We are not the US - you can't just convert a noun to a verb! It is an abomination of nature, the very negation of sound speech!

Yes, yes, it might be more brief than saying 'put stuff on expenses' but it's wrong as per Adam Hill "Liz Truss as PM just sounds wrong".

I'll shut up now. My G&T is calling..

1. jake Silver badge
          Pint

As the great Bill Watterson taught us, "Verbing weirds language". Weirding is not a bad thing, especially in informal writing/speech. Unless you lack the humo(u)r gene, of course, in which case I feel very, very sorry for you.

Generic "you", not you personally, COCM. Allow me to beer you.

2. Irony Deficient

We are not the US - you can’t just convert a noun to a verb! …

… It is an abomination of nature, the very negation of sound speech!

Don’t be silly. Consider the verb “shepherd”, which came from the noun “shepherd” — the earliest use of the verb came from the pen of Percy Bysshe Shelley, an Englishman, in his poem Arethusa (1820).

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Someone will be along shortly ...

... to blame it all on Labour, Immigrants, Remain voters and the BBC.

At least we can all appreciate the massive win by lettuce. Great job by the salade!

Re: Someone will be along shortly ...

Best result for a Green ever

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

I thought current fashion was to blame the EU for everything.

It's never the Eu, they are totally powerless bureaucratic foreigners, impotent against the might of Global Britain

It's the internal threat of the 5th columnist Remainer anti-growth coalition of experts and civil-servants

15. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

At last, a benefit of Brexit

The Tory party eats itself.

Icon is a Johnson thumbs up, unfortunately or more likely fortunately missing the gurning face behind it.

1. lnLog
      Windows

Re: At last, a benefit of Brexit

What this one....?

Re: At last, a benefit of Brexit

Vote to make that the new Microsoft Teams icon

16. Franco

"Surely it couldn't be any worse? Could it?"

We've been saying that for years though. In the US they assumed it couldn't be worse than George W. Bush, then they looked like they might elect Palin briefly, and then did elect Trump.

We were complaining for years about May and how hardline she was as Home Secretary, only to appear as a moderate compared to her successors Rudd, Patel and Braverman.

We also always knew May was a lame-duck PM because the Brexiteers knew that the country wasn't ready for one of their own, but spent 3 years plotting with the media to get Boris the top job, and whilst she was useless she was at least (comparitively) honest. Boris lied constantly and was defended by his loyalists (Mad Nad is so on message that she had her tweet queued up to get him back as leader as soon as Truss quit) and then we got Truss, who was a meme who had nothing about her other than saying whatever would get her the biggest cheer from the crowd in front of her.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Canadian solution here, what about a hereditary Prime Minister?

Pick somebody far enough back that people have vaguely fond memories of.

Pick one of their kids that seems innocuous enough, looks good for the cameras and has never done a real job

1. iron Silver badge

Oh we'e already got one of those, his name is Charles.

1. Binraider Silver badge

Indeed and voicing his well known political agenda is now suppressed by parliamentary convention dating back approx 100 years.

The suppression of the Monarchs views obviously goes back further, but the heaviest suppression happens to coincide with the rise of the Tories in place of the Libs and Whigs.

Coincidence? I think not.

17. bregister
    Unhappy

across the Irish sea

it's a worry for us as this may be a preview what we will go through after the next election...

Re: across the Irish sea

I thought all Irish politicians were basically St Patric crossed with Seamus Heaney ?

According to Fintan O'Toole

18. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

"that people have vaguely fond memories of."

Dwight D. Eisenhower here. Perhaps the secret is to select a bald leader.

"Make America Great Again" by not just electing the tallest candidate with the best hair?

1. cmdrklarg

We failed the "best hair" category badly in 2016.

>We failed the "best hair" category badly in 2016.

Really? The shop said it was the bestest hair

1. that one in the corner Silver badge

Bestest hair

I could only wish that my hair was so colour-fast.

Re: Bestest hair

I could only wish that my hair was so colour-fast

Or as resistant to shedding. Do you think they use a special extra-strength glue?

1. WolfFan Silver badge

Re: Bestest hair

Orangutan glue must be better than Gorilla glue.

2. Malcolm Weir Silver badge

Ah, Eisenhower is popular not because of his follicle styling, because of his policies vis-a-vis Europe. He massively increased imports into first France, then the rest of western Europe, and encouraged the free movement of UK and US workers.

So he was a communist ?

1. veti Silver badge

By current Republican standards, he certainly wouldn't be allowed to hold any important position in the party.

For one thing, he believed in elections. For another, read his views on the military-industrial complex (aka, Republican welfare). He really thought the money would be better spent on feeding the hungry and clothing the homeless.

With those beliefs, it's a pity he didn't have more hair, a beard and a cigar = he would have made a great student T-shirt

2. Irony Deficient

For one thing, he believed in elections.

Not for Árbenz in Guatemala and Mosaddegh in Iran, he didn’t.

For another, read his views on the military-industrial complex (aka, Republican welfare).

Don’t forget the other warning in his 1961 farewell address:

Akin to, and largely responsible for the sweeping changes in our industrial-military posture, has been the technological revolution during recent decades.

In this revolution, research has become central; it also becomes more formalized, complex, and costly. A steadily increasing share is conducted for, by, or at the direction of, the Federal government.

Today, the solitary inventor, tinkering in his shop, has been overshadowed by task forces of scientists in laboratories and testing fields. In the same fashion, the free university, historically the fountainhead of free ideas and scientific discovery, has experienced a revolution in the conduct of research. Partly because of the huge costs involved, a government contract becomes virtually a substitute for intellectual curiosity. For every old blackboard there are now hundreds of new electronic computers.

The prospect of domination of the nation’s scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present—and is gravely to be regarded. Yet, in holding scientific research and discovery in respect, as we should, we must also be alert to the equal and opposite danger that public policy could itself become the captive of a scientific-technological elite.

Facepalm

Re: For one thing, he believed in elections.

>>>captive of a scientific-technological elite<<<

Well we've certainly dodged that bullet.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Coat

"Dwight D. Eisenhower here. Perhaps the secret is to select a bald leader."

William Hague?

>William Hague?

Is it just recent history bias but does Hague suddenly look like a towering intellect and a bastion of moral probity?

Thumb Up

Based on recent UK political history, Hague will probably be remembered as "The best Prime Minister we never had" :-)

4. R Soul Silver badge

Bald leaders

"Dwight D. Eisenhower here. Perhaps the secret is to select a bald leader."

America tried that with Trump. It didn't end well.

Facepalm

Re: Bald leaders

His baldness was FAKE!!!!!

Baldy icon --------------->

5. Benegesserict Cumbersomberbatch Silver badge

My warning to you from down south: Peter Dutton

19. Snowy Silver badge
    Joke

The 1922 committee

A forward looking committee, looking 100 hundred years into the future. Seeing that they still think the years is 1922, but some of them think that is too modern and the yearn for a simpler think back in 1622. They want to bring back King Boris!!

Re: The 1922 committee

I think we all yearn for the king dissolving parliament, putting in place half a century of civil war and leading to parliamentary lord protector (offer not valid in Ireland)

1. Snowy Silver badge
        Black Helicopters

Will it be another King Charles doing it or will it be King Boris?

The first Charles dissolved Parliament, the second restored the Monarchy what will the third do?

We can only hope for beheading, just the other way around

1. Irony Deficient

We can only hope for beheading, just the other way around

Do you mean that one can only hope for an enheading from His Majesty? Doubling the potential brain power of some hoopy frood of a future PM?

Re: We can only hope for beheading, just the other way around

I was thinking Charles III beheading the parliamentarian leader this time.

1. jake Silver badge

Put that on Pay Per View and solve all of the UK's financial problems in one swell foop.

2. veti Silver badge

You're saying David Icke was right?

1. jake Silver badge

You know what they say about stopped clocks.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Serious point amongst all this humour !!!

This is a very serious juncture for the UK.

We have shredded our hard earned reputation for Political & Financial integrity, all because the Conservative Party has a monomaniacal focus on the 'Party' before country.

Their MP's lie, cheat and backstab for the glory of gaining the senior posts and the Pensions to go with them.

The Torys have demonstrated that 'Party' comes before country so many times at any costs to us all that is has stopped being a joke.

Our political system is broken almost to the point of being beyond repair.

The voters are all fed up with the focus being on the 'game' and not on actually running the country.

The country has been on auto-pilot for so long while the political game is being played.

We really do need a GE, just to give the voters a chance to make their views known.

All parties need to be given a wake-up call that Politics is more than a game that you play for a while before you take your job in the city !!!

Real people and their jobs, pensions etc are the ones who are paying the price of these useless talentless hack politicians !!!

God help us all !!!

Re: Serious point amongst all this humour !!!

Have you considered the Brussels solution ?

No government for 2 years - but you still have beer, chocolate, waffles and chips (with mayonnaise)

1. Lars Silver badge
        Happy

"No government for 2 years - but you still have beer, chocolate, waffles and chips (with mayonnaise)"

And a higher GDP per capita, both nominal and ppp, than the British.

Perhaps there is indeed a lot to that. How surprising.

2. mark l 2 Silver badge

With the Tories repealing the fixed term parliament act and putting the power to call a GE back with the PM, even though all the opposition parties and probably a good amount of the electorate are wanting an GE there is no much that can be done about it. No incoming new Tory PM in their right mind would call an election now with their rating in the polls being the worst in 40 years.

And I doubt even if Truss thinks her career in the cabinet is done for, she could call one as a last thing she did before leaving in a weeks time?

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

With the Tories repealing the fixed term parliament act

Now, be fair, it was also Labour policy to repeal it. The Tories just got there first.

3. Snowy Silver badge

The party does not come first, it is more me first maybe the party second followed a distance third everyone else.

4. veti Silver badge

Meh. Voters get to make their views known from time to time, it doesn't actually seem to clarify very much. Remember the last last few elections, to say nothing of referendums?

No, a GE at this point would get rid of the current bunch, but it wouldn't actually tell us anything about what the voters really want. To get that sort of information, you need an election in which there is more than one major issue being discussed.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Lars Silver badge
      Pint

It won't help unless you mend the politial system of a two party country with a one party government held in place much by fptp.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Growth? Please take a look elsewhere......

Since 1960 some countries have managed substantial "growth":

- Link: https://knoema.com/mhrzolg/historical-gdp-by-country-statistics-from-the-world-bank-1960-2019

How about choosing policies adopted by the USA or China?

But no........2% per annum looks like a Tory "high growth" goal!!! Really??

22. MJB7
    Headmaster

Point of order Madam Author

She is still Prime Minister, and will continue to be so until the Conservative Party have elected another victim leader

Re: Point of order Madam Author

>She is still Prime Minister

what's latin for "last among equals" ?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Lizzium Trussicus

2. Irony Deficient

what’s latin for “last among equals” ?

Ultimus inter pares. (To specifically refer to a female, ultima inter pares ; to specifically refer to a non-binary person, ultimum inter pares.)

3. Mooseman Silver badge

"what's latin for "last among equals" ?"

ultima inter pares ?

Or possibley Caput lactucae....

23. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Thumb Up

This article

Is suited to el-reg

Ask yourself... why do you read it?

Inform yourself of tech news

Cringe at the who me?

Facepalm at the on-call

Bow down and worship the BOFH*

An on-line compertion between a mouldy lettuce and the prime minister is exactly what this site needs

plus we have 2 new units of time to measure with : 44 days will now be know as a 'truss' and 45 days will be known as a 'lettuce'

*Remember where 2 or 3 are gathered in his name , they shall chant "All hail his bastardness"

1. First Light

Re: This article

Well, Boris, are you back in the running or not?

1. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge

I can neither confirm or deny whether I am considering running for PM again

But if persuaded by ones colleagues that one could best serve the country....

1. Twanky

I'm sure he has absolutely no ambitions in that direction.

Are you going to "Support your local Gun Fighter[MP]" ?

PM 4 PM...?

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

That's reportedly what the lettuce said too..

24. martinusher Silver badge

John Cleese? Cancelled?

>Since Monty Python star John Cleese seems determined to demonstrate exactly how cancelled he is by appearing all over the media,

One of the perks of old age (he's 82) is that you can say what the hell you like and you don't care about being cancelled. (Of course he's politically incorrect and needs to be re-educated.)

From my humble perspective I think the notion is just a reflection on the appalling job we've done with education over the last 40 years or so. Back then the emphasis was on making "education more relevant to business" but what it really came down to was more rote learning, more emphasis on correctness and conformity and a lack of breadth --- teaching ceased to be education and became more about passing the test. (Adding in student fees and stuff just helped the process along.)

The result is a rather humorless bunch who can't "think outside the box" and are generally incapable of putting ideas and concepts into context. They're not too hot on history. I'd say that Margaret Thatcher and Keith Joseph (among others) did a great job. (For those who know Ms Thatcher only as PM, then as education secretary what she was famous for was removing free milk for schoolchildren.....)

Truss, BTW, is and was and always will be a nonentity. Her biggest mistake is not realizing who really runs the country.

1. Snowy Silver badge
      Joke

Re: John Cleese? Cancelled?

Who really runs the country, would that be the civil service? I've seem the documentary Yes Minister and the follow up Yes, Prime Minister.

>Who really runs the country, would that be the civil service?

I always assumed it was the cast of "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue"

2. Lars Silver badge
      Coat

Her biggest mistake was not realizing she is unfit for the task.

25. StrangerHereMyself Silver badge

Hahahaha

I'm not sad to see her go. Her ignorance was simply astounding.

Trickle-down economics doesn't work, as we've seen here in Europe until the late 19th century and in Africa still. The notion that if you give all the money to the rich things will work out OK is a logical fallacy.

Re: Hahahaha

> The notion that if you give all the money to the rich things will work out OK is a logical fallacy.

I think that rather depends on one's personal circumstances rich-wise

2. bregister

I kep reading that as tickle down economics and wondered did I miss something. Time for new glasses

3. Mooseman Silver badge

And yet, depressingly (and perhaps given some of the comments not surprisingly) you get downvotes for that. Do they actually believe that trickle down works? As far as I cant see the only way it works is that the rich are peeing on those below them.

4. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Trickle-down economics doesn't work

It's telling when the leader of the world's biggest capitalist country is firmly of the opinion that it doesn't work and never has..

26. Winkypop Silver badge

VOTE 1

Mr Gumby

(His brain hurts)

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is really great to see that holding the EU Referendum finally ended the chaos and division in the Conservative party.

1. SundogUK Silver badge
      FAIL

Because the global COVID pandemic, Russian invasion of Ukraine and consequent global energy crisis has nothing to do with this at all, obviously.

1. Mooseman Silver badge

"Because the global COVID pandemic, Russian invasion of Ukraine and consequent global energy crisis has nothing to do with this at all, obviously."

No, not really - how did any of that affect the insanity of the Truss minibudget? And you're ignoring the effect of brexit on the UK economy (worse than covid at its peak and far far longer)

Still, I expect you believe in trickle down and the tooth fairy too.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The only link to COVID is that it showed that Boris thought the rules (that he passed!) didn't apply to him. Apart from that, the infighting and dysfunction is nothing to do with anything you quoted. The various factions in the party simply hate each other. The referendum was supposed to fix all this and obviously failed.

As for the disaster of picking Truss as PM. There can only be two possible explanations. The party members either:

* Truly believed that her mental "cut tax and borrow a fuck ton of money to pay for it" policy would actually work

* Didn't want to pick "the brown one"

So financially illiterate or racist. Which is it?

28. Phil Kingston
    Facepalm

I mean, had IT even finished setting up all her accounts?

Of particular concern is the sheer number of ex- Prime Ministers who must now have nuclear launch codes too.

1. jake Silver badge

"Of particular concern is the sheer number of ex- Prime Ministers who must now have nuclear launch codes too."

I'm absolutely certain that's not an issue.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

29. Lordrobot

She walks away with a beautiful Pension for life...

Fully vested in 44 day... Forget the Lettuce... that's a lot of cabbage...

1. Snowy Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: She walks away with a beautiful Pension for life...

Seat in the house of lords too?

Thumb Down

In addition to the ongoing funding of that, the country has to pick up the bill for her misadventure - of around £1 Billion of each of those 44 days. The real figure is almost certainly higher

3. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Looks like Blair is the last PM who has benefited from the special PM's pension.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/21/liz-truss-entitlement-ex-prime-ministers-yearly-grant-sparks-fury

Truss’s pension will not receive any extra boost from her time in Downing Street. Since 2013, prime ministers have been part of the regular ministerial pension scheme, paying in a certain proportion of their salary while the government contributes too.

Blair is understood to have been the last prime minister to avail of a special prime minister’s pension. Brown and Cameron decided to forgo the scheme and choose to join the general one, before doing so became law in 2013.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Author approved

For mention of J. L. Borges,

31. batt-geek

Conservatives need a Francis Urquart to bring the party together and get 'em back on track

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Urquhart

32. Trigun

Bah

What a complete fiasco. During covid I had a feeling that the Conservatives would be done afterwards, as any party or leader linked with a major societally negative event gets ousted eventually - people just want to remove unpleasant reminders. The only thng keeping them in longer was a silent majority feeling that the other parties weren't viable/a choice. However, Conservatives own infighting has defeated them. Perhaps I shouldn't be too surprised what with all of the contentions in 2014 *still* rumbling on.

"Since Monty Python star John Cleese seems determined to demonstrate exactly how cancelled he is by appearing all over the media"

Personally, I admire the fact that he is standing up for his beliefs in the face of a bunch of censorious people who think that only their opinions should be heard.

1. Mooseman Silver badge

Re: Bah

""Since Monty Python star John Cleese seems determined to demonstrate exactly how cancelled he is by appearing all over the media"

Personally, I admire the fact that he is standing up for his beliefs in the face of a bunch of censorious people who think that only their opinions should be heard."

Except he isnt - he is sitting in multiple studios whining how the company/corporation that runs those studios is cancelling him. He's all over the media ike a rash. And frankly all he is saying (whe not whining about how unfair it all is) is that there are too many foreign types in Britain now. No wonder he's scampered off to Gbeebies.

33. Schultz
    Stop

1 Merkel equal to approximately 140 Trusses

But what is that in lettuces? I hope they didn't stop the experiment simply because one of the contestants dropped out!

34. jgarbo
    Devil

The Yanks had the right idea after WW2

Buy Britain, for what, couple of million, turn it into a history museum and charge $100 entry, and park their nukes free. Oh...they did.

35. prandeamus

Independent Scrutiny

It may not be an IT legacy exactly, but as was pointed out on Radio 4's Today programme this morning, the online vote of Tory members lacks strong third-party scrutiny. You can be 16 years old, in fact you could be a member of the party with no voting rights in a general election, and still be able to cast a vote. While I would defend such people's right to be a member of a private organisation in the general case, the lack of independent scrutiny for the leadership vote is a concern. If the member's vote should be close (let's say, 52/48?) such concerns would undermine the legitimacy of the result.

There's a technicality in that the PM is technically chosen by the crown, but I don't see the King intervening, or for that matter intervening in any way that would be constructive.

In an additional irony overload, I don't think any of these Tory chaps have to show a photo ID card to vote.

36. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The problem with the "Merkel"...

... is that it looked stable, but eventually it decays into a Putin emitting a Schroeder. And both of them are far more radioactive and have a far longer half life.

But let's see what a "Truss" decays into - very unstable, it should have been the "Kwarteng" field - even if was the outcome of a "Johnson" meltdown already.

1. Mooseman Silver badge

Re: The problem with the "Merkel"...

"eventually it decays into a Putin emitting a Schroeder."

Surely the Schroeder particle decays into a Merkel?

37. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anthony Scaramucci had a measurement too.

He was reported to have measured her time in Scaramuccis. Given his tenure, Truss' time in office worked out to be 4.1 Scaramuccis.

He also observed that she at least outlasted the milk in teh refrigerator, something he didn't manage.

Say what you want, at least he has a sense of humo(u)r. No wonder he didn't last long.

38. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As someone who was, perhaps unfortunately, at school with her, I can confirm that she has always been a complete idiot.

39. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Liz Truss ousted

Boris Johnson insted...

40. Lars Silver badge
    Happy

Now that she is gone

We can afford a few kind words I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIh7XJVxCAY

41. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Upper Class Twit of the Year

Voting is very tight this year.

42. Jonathon Green
    Trollface

Lettuce Prey

Content? We don’ need no steering content…

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like