back to article The only Windows 10 updates for the year are coming. Spoiler alert: It's just security

Microsoft is rolling out the only feature updates this year for Windows 10, with the IT giant describing it as a "scoped and streamlined" effort with a strong focus on security. The Windows 10 version 22H2 updates – the 13th feature update of the venerable operating system – came the same day Microsoft announced the …

1. Snowy Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Given the "features" they have added

Bug fixes and security patches is all I want.

1. chivo243 Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Given the "features" they have added

^^^^ This pretty much sums it up... ^^^^

I guess we have to wait until the end of the support cycle for proper updates.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Given the "features" they have added

Having installed the Windows 10 22H2 Update, it seems Windows 10 22H2 isn't even getting the new tabbed file explorer.

Unless this is coming as a new monthly 'moment' update (hate the name). That just doesn't make sense in terms of supporting users across the Windows ecosystem, going forward. I suppose it would mean removing the delete option from the menu, to match Windows 11 22H2.

(It's difficult to tell because all the references I can find for the new tabbed file explorer, are articles regarding Windows 11 22H2).

2. that one in the corner Silver badge

"don't expect a ton of effort into splashy bells and whistles."

Finally, our prayers are being answered.

1. David 132 Silver badge

Re: "don't expect a ton of effort into splashy bells and whistles."

It could be argued that the most pleasant time to use a Microsoft OS is at this phase of its lifecycle, when the focus of their toddlers-on-amphetamines designers has shifted to the next new shiny thing, and the OS is just getting security updates as it coasts towards enforced EOL.

3. Jamesit

"The Windows 10 version 22H2 updates – the 13th feature update of the venerable operating system – came the same day Microsoft announced the availability of new features for Windows 11 that were outlined when version 22H2 of the OS was unveiled last month."

I read that as vulnerable operating system.

1. HeIsNoOne
      Headmaster

"I read that as vulnerable operating system"

That would have been more appropriate; "venerable"=="worthy of veneration" - don't think many would agree with that.

"Venerable" seems to have been used here to simply mean "old" - not always the same thing.

4. NeilPost Silver badge

LTSC

Listing Start Date Mainstream End Date

Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 Nov 16, 2021 Jan 12, 2027

Missed one !!!

1. Danny 14

Re: LTSC

if you missed that. look at the end date for 2019 ltsc and facepalm.....

5. David Lawton

Given the amount of changes they made to Windows 10 since its initial inception i'm not surprised, if they fiddle with it much more it will be Windows 11.

1. NeilPost Silver badge

That was the previous stated plan.

“Windows 10 will be the last version of Window’s you will ever need.”

Support Lifecycle EOL’d now like everything else.

2. PeterM42
      Facepalm

, if they fiddle with it much more it will be Windows 11.

Go to the cmd prompt and type VER.

Windows 11 IS Windows 10.

6. sreynolds

Hololenses....

There might be quite a load of them up for sale, at the local army disposals.

7. Locomotion69

It's just security

Great! Most stuff is expected to be still useable after the update! Yeah!

1. Jakester

Re: It's just security

Except for e-mail with Godaddy emails now switched to Microsoft's Office365 mail servers. This last patch Tuesday broke e-mails for my company unless you use a newer copy of Outlook. I prefer Thunderbird e-mail client, but it won't talk to the new Office365 servers after patch Tuesday.

8. Kev99 Silver badge

You'd think after 7 plus years of production updates would no longer be needed. I guess that just goes to show how crappy mictosoft code is.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like