back to article US Dept of Energy injects more particles of cash into tokamak fusion reactors

The US Department of Energy is handing out more fusion power funding, this time doling out $47 million to 38 projects that are exploring the feasibility of tokamak reactors.  Tokamaks use powerful magnetic fields to force plasma into either a torus or a more spherical shape, depending on the type of design used. The ultimate …

1. FIA Silver badge

Smashing!!

2. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

I submitted my plans for a cash particle black hole but my application fee vanished at the speed of light. Damn, they might already have this technology.

3. MonsieurTM

Eh? What is going on? Has anyone ever heard of JET (UKAEA) or ITER (not yet built)? JET has been around for decades... And JET is a .... tokomak!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_European_Torus

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Shrug

Sure, we can mention it. I see no working, useful fusion reactors so clearly it's also still in development like all the rest.

C.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Shrug

It seems a bit odd to be putting chicken feed into the "feasibility" of tokamaks when you are already investing $Bn into a large scale tokamak at ITER

anyway Stellarators are way cooler

4. brainwrong
    Facepalm

"Tokamaks use powerful magnetic fields to force plasma into either a taurus"

What a load of bull.....

1. navidier
      Unhappy

Sign o' the times

#brainwronf

> "Tokamaks use powerful magnetic fields to force plasma into either a taurus"

> What a load of bull.....

Dang, beat me to it!

2. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Sperling messteak

Yeah yeah yeah. It's fixed. We clearly hadn't had enough coffee by that point to spot it - the spellchecker certainly didn't.

Don't forget to email corrections@theregister.com if you spot anything wrong.

C.

1. Vometia has insomnia. Again. Silver badge

Re: Sperling messteak

tbf I know how it is, what with being a sort of accomplished Mistress of the Stealth Typo myself. Not enough coffee and over-reliance on real-time spell-check has produced a lot of quite bizarre results over the years. Particularly on media with insufficiently accommodating editing...

2. brainwrong

"Don't forget to email corrections@theregister.com if you spot anything wrong."

I tried that a few months ago and the article wasn't corrected. This one was funny, that is all.

It looks to me like you're using speech recognition to write? I can't see how that's a keyboard typing error.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Using the wrong homophone appears to be a common error among people who touch-type in English. (I don't have any rigorous research to cite offhand, but anecdotal confirmation is easy to find.) When your typing speed is fast enough, your conscious process is running word-by-word rather than letter-by-letter, so it's not hard for the cerebrum to trigger the cerebellum to whack out the wrong approximate match.

Re: claims

1. What was the error - we jump on correction emails within minutes if someone's working. We strive really hard to fix issues ASAP.

2. We're not using speech recognition. If you see typos or brain blips like that, it's because we've got something else on our minds, such as technical accuracy -- I'd rather a story is a fair representation of reality with typos than perfectly written but total BS.

C.

3. Spherical Cow Silver badge

The difference between a torus and a taurus is that one is doughnut-shape and the other is spherical (at least, I assume it is).

1. LybsterRoy Silver badge

I thought Ford made the taurus

2. navidier

Topology

#Spherical Cow

> The difference between a torus and a taurus is that one is doughnut-shape and the other is spherical (at least, I assume it is).

I'm by no means an expert in topology, but given the alimentary canal, I would think a taurus _is_ a torus.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Topology

Hell, for that matter, so are all known experts in topology.

4. that one in the corner Silver badge

The physicists

have only produced results for a frictionless spherical bull in a vacuum.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

"Taurus"

ElReg's AI story writer has all the knowledge of the Department of Energy's cash flingers.

Re: "Taurus"

It follows on from research at the LHC (Large Heifer Collider) which was designed to collide Swiss and French cows to produce a new shape of dairy lea triangles

Re: "Taurus"

Yeah, yeah, it's fixed.

C.

6. Like Magic

another dead end. How much deuterium and tritium is there in the world, not a lot

1. Vometia has insomnia. Again. Silver badge

They can always make more. IIRC it used to be done by shoving a capsule of lithium(? er, I think) into a running Magnox though I imagine they have other means nowadays.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>How much ... tritium is there in the world, not a lot

And less every 12 years

3. Graham Dawson Silver badge

The dead end is the design, not the concept. Tokamaks have been the primary focus of fusion research for so long because the Soviets claimed some success with them in the 60s. As it turns out, the claimed performance doesn't scale even remotely, which became obvious within just a few years, but the initial performance gains caused everyone to concentrate on tokamaks, to the exclusion of everything else, far longer than was warranted. We've subsequently had 50 years of research on tokamaks with very little to show for it, with other promising technologies getting short shrift, or being ignored entirely.

1. that one in the corner Silver badge

Suspenseful silence

You going to tell us what your preferred technology is?

Re: Suspenseful silence

Stellerators. Tokamaks are good research tools because they are easy to design with 1960s technology.

But they are a bit crap for power station use, for example they can't produce power continually.

The problem is that because they are simple to make work that are what most large projects settle on because you can't take a risk on a multi $Bn project.

So ITER is like what happens if, in the 1930s, you create an international project to invent the transatlantic aircraft for the next 50 years - and you agree to build a giant airship because that's what everyone agrees is a trusted design.

1. Zolko Silver badge

Stell–a–rators

didn't know about those, thank-you

2. Graham Dawson Silver badge

What the other guy said, though I was also interested in polywell, or electrostatic confinement fusion for a time. It held promise, but there was never enough funding to develop beyond demonstrators.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like