back to article Artist formerly known as Kanye reveals Parler trick: Buying the far-right haven

After public spats with Twitter and Instagram, Rapper Ye – formerly known as Kanye West – is buying social network Parler, an alternative micro-blogging site often associated with far-right extremists, conspiracy theorists, and others booted from mainstream platforms. Ye, who was briefly banned from Twitter and Instagram …

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Perceived ant-semitic posts?

"tweeting he would go "death con three on Jewish people"

Looks pretty set in stone to me.

Still the new platform is about relevant as he is these days.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Perceived ant-semitic posts?

Wait a sec ... Did he really write "death con three"?

::hits DDG::

Why yes, yes he did. I guess he's even more ignorant than I thought. That's difficult.

1. P. Lee

Two questions:

1. Why did he make that comment?

2. What was the result?

If I understand it correctly, he was annoyed because he thinks Jews have far too much control over his life.

And the result?

Legacy media runs headlines saying he's mentally ill, social media bans him and his bank cuts him off.

Do you think this has mitigated or entrenched Kanye's belief, both in his own mind and in the minds of other people looking on?

Regardless of how correct Kanye is, this is how you build credibility for his position.

It seems the banks, legacy, and social media have become so used to wielding ultimate power for banning and censorship that they are unable to effectively respond to those who disagree with them. The tighter they squeeze, the more slips through their fingers.

Kanye is wrong of course. Any social media application which relies on a phone app store can be cancelled. If you don't want to be cancelled, get on Gab.

Gab has been through the cancellation mill for aligning itself with the US Constitution's view on free speech to the point of looking at creating its own bank. I find it amazing how much of America's establishment hate the US' founding values to the point of trying to destroy it, rather than pressing the "mute" button for people they don't want to listen to.

If you didn't want to hear Kanye's thoughts, you could simply not follow him. Instead, his social media platform decided it would make that decision on your behalf.

"Left-wing" or "Right-wing" are less relevant than the difference between those who think you should make your own decisions, vs those who want government and corporations (apparently often at the behest of government) to make those decisions for you. This appears to actually be at the core of what is described by El Reg and the rest of the legacy media as "far right." Will I decide to defend myself from criminals, or will I wait for the police and be defenseless in the meantime? Will I decide to listen to whomever I want, or will some corporation decide that. Will I let the government educate my child, or will I do it? Should I be able to say what I believe to be true, or will I accept censorship by a corporation or the government?

We need to allow people to be wrong, because everyone is wrong before being proved right. Being wrong is our way to improve. Only allowing what is right means everything is already known and there is no more progress to be made. Those currently at the top of the tree would love this to be the case.

People calling free speech a far-right value, makes them look good and making themselves look stupid. Stop being stupid.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It is hilarious when people claim that MAGA is anti-constitution. Nothing could be more wrong. The liberals of old would be horrified by todays 'liberals'. Big gov, big corp, nanny state etc. The free love herbal hippies of the 70s are now the pro big govt, pro big pharma, do as we tell you types.

We're not allowed to tell kids they failed, we're not allowed to mark them down, everyone gets a trophy. It is a self fulfilling spiral.

Kanye, Trump, MAGA, Canadian truckers have all shown that if you challenge the status quo even the slightest you get dumped on and it just proves their belief that ruling elites hate them.

Unvaxxed deplorable and proud of it!

1. jake Silver badge

"Unvaxxed, fucking stupid, and proud of it!"

FTFY

2. IGotOut Silver badge

"just proves their belief that ruling elites hate them."

Err you mean like the former President of the USA, a white, high flying city boy with wealthy parents?

Or doesnt that count?

3. The Velveteen Hangnail

Apparently you aren't aware of this, but when you lie about and try to overthrowing democratically held elections, commit terrorist attacks against your nations capital, AND try to murder your very own exiting Vice President, (plus a laundry list of other things,) you WILL be tagged as "anti-constitution".

I know this comes as a shock to you, but there it is.

2. DS999 Silver badge
    Trollface

40K daily active users?

Measuring by orders of magnitude, that's much closer in scale to The Reg's comments section than it is to Twitter.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 40K daily active users?

analytics firm Apptopia suggested Parler had around 40,000 daily active users versus Twitter's 237 million.

I was wondering how those numbers stack up against Truth Social, which I kind of assumed was the platform of choice for the right-winger about town.

1. DS999 Silver badge

Well I've read Trump has 4 million followers there, so assuming they are all actual users that puts a limit on the number of TOTAL users of the platform. Because there is no reason anyone would join his platform if not to follow him. How many of them log in daily who knows, but safe to assume it is probably fewer than a million thus easily closer to Parler than Twitter.

1. Aladdin Sane

513k daily active

1. DS999 Silver badge

Three orders of magnitude to Twitter in one direction, three orders of magnitude to The Register's comments section in the other direction!

3. jake Silver badge

::yawns::

Yet another luser with more money than brains spends far too much on a "look at me, I'm IMPORTANT!!!!!" moment.

Truly legends in their own minds, this lot.

One wonders what's going to happen when they discover they could have created a vanity domain instead, and saved many, many millions of dollars to the same effect ...

1. Pirate Dave Silver badge
      Pirate

Re: ::yawns::

Well, look at the bright side. If/when he buys the site, we no longer have to see him in the news complaining that Twitter/Facebook/etc has kicked him off again.

It truly is getting weird over here on the Right. Used to be Bushes and Reaganites and the like, now it's all over the place.

1. jake Silver badge

Both the "left" and "right" (such as they are here in the US) have been co-opted by extremists who use the most ignorant of the GreatUnwashed to do their dirty work. It's time the vast majority of us in the Center re-take politics.

And no, the Greens aren't the answer, they hate actual people doing people stuff and are even more radical than the established extremists. The Independents are a joke. The rest are ignorable single-issue also-rans, and always will be.

What we need is a modern equivalent of the Bull Moose Party. Perhaps we could start by agitating to split up the EPA and the FCC, just to get normal people used to working together again? Here in the Western US, splitting up the BLM[0] would help ...

[0] That's the Bureau of Land Management, put away your rope, lefty.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>It's time the vast majority of us in the Center re-take politics.

If Biden is the extreme left, what is the center = Mussolini ?

1. jake Silver badge

Did you not see "such as it is"?

It should be obvious to the meanest of intelligence that "left" and "right" are just labels that make it a trifle easier to discuss politics here in the US. If this confuses you, may I suggest you sit quietly and observe until you understand what is going on?

Wingnuts. I'm surrounded by wingnuts ...

1. Denarius

left and right ? Relic terms from ancient frog parliaments. meaningless really. Both "left" and "right" extremes are indistinguishable IMHO. Both hate Israel or Jews, individuality, plurality of views. The choice is between variously labelled totalitarians and a few attempts at participatory politics. Given the polarisation and dumbing down of the remains of old and newer medias, motto of "Believe nothing until officially denied" seems workable. As for any user of the antisocial platforms outside of very local buy/sell/swap and information pages, has to be of dubious quality. Even ElReg is showing this disease. Bring back Tim, Dabsy and some new iconoclasts.

1. Graham Cobb Silver badge

Left and right still have useful meaning, although not in the US where there is only Right and More Right.

I also think that most people, including most Americans, hate the Israeli government (for its policies and actions) but do not hate Jews. Most people can distinguish governments from people - just like with Putin.

And, of course, all politicians hate individuality (after all, they all entered politics in order to tell other people what to do) and plurality of views (it is makes it much harder to get elected if the people like some things you do and not others, and the same for your opponents).

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Hitler was fairly middle-ground too, he really did check on those with more extreme views. It's not like he was some kind of nazi, you know...

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>and the FCC, just to get normal people used to working together again

So your feeble little altimeter can't cope with the might of my backyard country music channel? Tough you little crybaby.

In fact we should get rid the FAA as well. Who needs ATC - the plane with the loudest engine gets to land first !

1. jake Silver badge

I suggest you dig a little deeper into the FCC. It's about more than your silly little backyard station, country or otherwise.

3. The Velveteen Hangnail

The fact that you think the "left" has been taken over by extremists, shows just how badly US politics is skewed.

For example, the right literally think basic health care is "alt-left". Something that literally every single developed country in the _world_ enjoys.

The "left" of the US is considered "center-right" in any country that isn't run by a totalitarian despot.

Making ridiculous false equivalent statements, as if the US left is even remotely similar to the US right is a flat out lie. The right literally ticks all the checkboxes for outright fascism.

Don't even pretend that you're "Center" with statements like that. You are parroting the alt-rights talking points WAY too closely.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Truly legends in their own minds, this lot.

Kanye West is a legend in his own mind and a bellend in everybody else's.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If the voice of a generation ever wanted to put fish sticks in their mouth, they should go see Kanye.

Sorry, my sum total "knowledge" of Kanye is what little I gleaned and inferred from South Park.

4. The commentard formerly known as Mister_C Silver badge
    Trollface

They claim 40k users

how many bots?

1. AlanSh
      Happy

Re: They claim 40k users

Maximum 5%, of course

2. Blank Reg

Re: They claim 40k users

How many law enforcement agents watching for idiots plotting their next crime?

5. The Dogs Meevonks Silver badge

Will he split the users?

Given how much racism and bigotry there is on the platform already...I wonder how the white supremacists will react to their fave platform being 'owned' by a black man.

1. veti Silver badge

Re: Will he split the users?

They'll love it. It's conclusive proof that they're not racist or otherwise unreasonable at all.

6. Irony Deficient

Rapper Ye – formerly known as Kanye West –

Is his new name a homophone of “yay”? (Before reading this article, I was unaware that he’d changed his name.)

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Rapper Ye – formerly known as Kanye West –

Probably a mispleling of the redneck "yee".

Would make about as much sense as any of the rest of this nonsense ...

1. lglethal Silver badge
        Joke

Does that mean when in future he tries to sell Parler to the next gullible Idiot, we will be able to write "Yee Haw(ks) Pardner, ahem Parler..."

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Only if he sells it to one of them Duke boys.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Owned by Candace Owen's Husband

Surely, there is no co-incidence here. Nope.

8. 桜沢墨

It's going to be as bad as twitter

Meaning, it's going to be as bad as the platform owners want it to be. As far as I can see, Parler isn't open sourced, preferably under agpl, so we can't actually see if the network is censoring anything more or less than twitter. While I won't discard Kanye's claim that twitter is a place of censorship, it doesn't stand very well when they choose to use a closed source platform over something like mastodon, which I believe Trump's truthsocial uses. Of course you can still manually moderate posts to only allow those with opinions you want, but it helps, and there might be a way to show who gets banned and for what reason, or for what reason a post gets taken down which could easily let users know if the network is really fair or not.

If you want a REAL solution however, I would recommend going outside. Touching grass. Everyone has much better things to do than browsing twitter or something like it. Go for a walk with your friends, or go read something at the library. Start a business or something, but don't waste your time on twitter.

9. Howard Sway Silver badge

Twitter Ye Not!

"Ye is making a groundbreaking move into the free speech media space and will never have to fear being removed from social media again"

It really is amazing how these famous gobshites think that it's necessary to spend fortunes on buying social media companies in order to make their opinions available on the web after they've been "cancelled", when a simple web server with a content publishing system back end, the software for which can all be obtained for free, would be more than sufficient for that purpose.

But no, they need their own soshul meeja company, despite the fact that the big companies with critical mass already occupy that space, and will carry on doing so because their users are too lazy to switch just to read the ravings of one particular moron.

10. src

Start awarded

Libtard talking points faithfully reproduced. Congratulations - you get a little star on the wall chart.

11. chivo243 Silver badge
    Coat

Troy McClure Joke

There's a Troy McClure Joke in that headline somewhere... Artist formerly known as Kanye? "Oh no folks, I'm sorry He never had any talent, he wasn't an artist..."

1. Roj Blake Silver badge

Re: Troy McClure Joke

"Hi, I'm Kanye West. You may remember me from antisemitic tweets such as..."

12. Ashentaine

Ah, time for the latest bout of "Musician rapidly fading into irrelevancy does increasingly erratic things in a desperate attempt to remind the world they exist", I see. I guess buying a mostly dead social media platform to turn into his own personal echo chamber is better than some of the more questionable things others have done in the past, even if it is still a huge waste of resources.

13. Potemkine! Silver badge

The brown plague is coming back.

"In a world where conservative opinions are considered to be controversial we have to make sure we have the right to freely express ourselves"

I hope conservatives feel offended to by sided with fucking nazis.

== Bring us Dabbsy back! ==

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The brown plague is coming back.

We would be very offended siding with the left!!

2. veti Silver badge

Re: The brown plague is coming back.

Indeed, the hijacking of the "conservative" label by the fucking evil radicals, who wouldn't know "conservatism" if it shat on their lawn, who are currently identified with it is indeed one of the worst things about this political moment.

Mind you, the identification of "liberalism" with big-government social engineering projects is just as bad.

I can't help but wonder what the real liberals and conservatives are doing these days.

14. ukgnome

Super Secure though

I mean quite a few reports on twitter showing that Parler group mailed some of its users but didn't BCC.

Not a great starting point, but then again free speech init

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge

Re: Super Secure though

Yes, they CCed their VIP members: https://twitter.com/Johnny_Joey/status/1582048637067984897

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Twitter censorship is terrible but ...

... it seems to be a problem of scale. I'm banned for a week for a typo: I claimed "Jacob Rees-Mogg's whole personality is a confection" but l/r confusion (I use Dvorak, they're adjacent) turned that into 'whore personality' and I was pulled up for "hateful conduct" before I had even realized the mistake.

You can click appeal, and you'll just be locked out for ever, because there can't possibly be enough people to process these. Or you can click 'delete' which counts as an admission of wrongdoing and take the punishment.

There's just no real way of sensibly moderating a sizeable social media network: there's no real I in AI --- and if there were, it would be cruel and unusual punishment to make them read Twitter etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Twitter censorship is terrible but ...

Seems a bit unfair - after all Radio 4 Today presenter John Humphrys did a Spooner and called our current Chancellor "Jeremy *unt the Hulture Secretary" on live radio, and he got a Daily Mail column after he left the BBC.

2. Pirate Dave Silver badge

Re: Twitter censorship is terrible but ...

I think Amazon does the same with their "moderation" of user reviews, although their only known action is to perma-ban you from posting further reviews. Oh, and they also remove all of your previous reviews. And promptly ignore any and all inquiries as to what you did that triggered the perma-ban. You'll never, ever know what you did that broke their "law", even if every review you ever wrote was completely and totally milquetoast.

Great customer service, there. That's why I no longer have an Amazon account, Fuck'em.

16. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

Mental illness is no joking matter

But being a member of Parler has no excuse.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like