back to article SAP's German-speaking heartlands still struggling with ERP vendor's cloud vision

SAP couldn't be clearer with its customers about the challenges they face in application upgrades and cloud migration, but for one reason or another they struggle to get the message. Or perhaps hope it will go away. A couple of years ago, Oliver Betz, SVP head of product management for SAP S/4HANA, told users moving to the …

1. teebie

" They should be prepared to say goodbye to modifications made to on-premises systems. "That's not how the cloud works,"

'Use our product, it's less good than not using our product' is a bold marketing strategy.

1. AMBxx Silver badge

Their original sales line back in the 90s was 'our products enforce best standards, don't you want best standards?'

2. Michael Strorm Silver badge

I was going to comment on that as well. They say it as if they're dictating terms for something their customers want and have been asking for in the first place.

Rather than something being pushed for *SAP's* benefit. Really, if "that's not how the cloud works" then maybe SAP's cloud offering isn't a good choice for them, huh?

Particularly since- as I understand it- SAP's benefits only really outweigh its awfulness if you can afford staff dedicated to those sorts of customisations.

Hope for their customers' sake SAP haven't locked them in to an extent they can hold them to ransom and force them onto the cloud anyway.

1. oiseau
        Coffee/keyboard

Hope for their customers' sake SAP haven't locked them in to an extent ...

You hope they haven't? 8^D !!!!

I know Friday's behind us now but that's no excuse.

O.

2. oiseau
    Facepalm

... but for one reason or another they struggle to get the message.

Hmm ...

I beg to differ.

I think they do get the message and understand it quite clearly.

As to the reason for not going along, maybe it is because they looked up the word in the dictionary.

Or delved into the etymology of the term.

"Meaning "cloud-like mass of smoke or dust" is from late 14c. Figuratively, as something that obscures, darkens, threatens, or casts a shadow, from c. 1300; hence under a cloud (c. 1500). In the clouds "removed from earthly things; obscure, fanciful, unreal" is from 1640s."

Have a good week-end.

O.

3. Potemkine! Silver badge

If I understand well the chairman, if customers disagree with seeing the customization required for their business removed, it's only because they aren't well educated. SAP knows better what they need.

I still have to see a transition to SAP which goes well. A problem of education I guess.

== Bring us Dabbsy back! ==

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

You're using it wrong

This is why the cloud almost never makes sense for a company with an IT staff except, just possibly, as a backup for on-prem kit.

SAP, and many others, expect you to conform to them when they should conform to you.

1. arthoss

Re: You're using it wrong

The custom business processes in ERP are the reflection of the company’s ethos. Moving to cloud may not mean leaving your soul behind

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like