back to article Now you can't even scale Mount Everest without a drone buzzing overhead

Drone maker DJI has claimed a world first by flying one of its Mavic 3 drones around the peak of Mount Everest, capturing some pretty great footage in the process.  The idea to fly a drone around the world's highest mountain was developed with the team from Chinese photography website and photographer organization 8KRAW, which …

1. RSW

Not enough people in those shots

Should be a lot more people in those shots trying to get to the top?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-48401491

1. Little Mouse

Re: Not enough people in those shots

The main climbing season is very short. Literally just a couple of months long. I guess they just avoided the rush hour.

But going off-season would presumably be more difficult for drones too (colder, harsher conditions, less daylight, etc)

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Not enough people in those shots

It's a good YouTube video, nice to watch but think how much better a BBC documentary video production would have been while working with video produced from the drone by the BBC - the BBC has classic film and production people resulting in wonderful documentaries!

2. Mike 137 Silver badge

"No chance of any peace, not even at 8,900 metres"

No chance of any peace almost anywhere accessible. One of my hobbies is wildlife sound recording, but with the advent of electric cars a hitch has emerged and is getting ever more significant. Distant IC traffic presents a fairly stable low frequency noise almost entirely below about 120 Hz ( a mixture of tyre noise and engine noise) with very weak harmonics that can usually be masked. Distant electric vehicles present in addition to the low frequency tyre noise a quite broad band of harmonic rich noise in the 400-1200 Hz band - right in the middle of wanted natural sounds, so they're well nigh impossible to filter out in the absence of very sophisticated (and therefore expensive) tech.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Re: "No chance of any peace, not even at 8,900 metres"

Very pleased to note last month that Machu Picchu and the Inca Trail are very strict no-drone areas.

2. Piro Silver badge

Re: "No chance of any peace, not even at 8,900 metres"

That's actually fairly alarming; the last thing we need is more noise pollution, especially in a sensitive range of our hearing.

3. Dinanziame Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Looks nice

Gave me the chills. Though maybe because I thought how cold it must be up there.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Looks nice

Were they multiplying?

1. My other car WAS an IAV Stryker
        Joke

I know I'm losing control...

(Or else I wouldn't have made this lame reply to continue the joke. Eh, Friday.)

Glad to see that the drone ops DIDN'T lose control. Nice footage indeed.

2. MiguelC Silver badge
      Pint

The first image of the 'Top of the World' is breathtaking

I'd offer them a pint, but a nice cuppa would probably feel better in those conditions

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
        Meh

Due to the altitude, it's impossible to make a good cuppa up there as the boiling point of water is too low.

1. NightFox

I think Starbucks, Costa et al seem to have this same issue even at low altitudes.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

And that's exactly why I've not bothered climbing Everest. If I can't have a decent brew at the top then I'm just not doing it.

Yeah, that's definitely the reason I've not climbed Everest. Definitely.

1. NightFox

IIRC, there's a small cave that provides a degree of shelter just before the final approach where climbers typically take time for a last brew before they attempt the summit - and they get to share that time next to the perfectly preserved dead body lying in the mouth of the cave known as 'Green Boots' who's lain there since the 1990s. Whilst I've heard that Green Boots' body has finally been recovered at some point in the last couple of years, I think that must have served as a very strong reality check for many climbers with the end so nearly in sight, particularly given how dangerous that last push is when altitude, low oxygen levels and being so close to the goal start to effect common sense.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yep I remember even around the altitude of base camp you could make a cup of tea with boiling water and drink it without adding milk or waiting for it to cool down. Guess who forgot when we descended to lower altitudes!

Sherpas also don't understand people from Yorkshire, they'd use one small tea bag for a 2 litre flask of water, it was just slightly tinted water! Needed some Yorkshire tea to show them what tea was really like.

Coffee not needing to be as hot was OK though, there was a great bakery and coffee shop in Dingboche (though only at half the altitude of Everest) and I didn't visit but was told the knock-off Starbucks in Lukla was better than the real ones!

Back to the film the images do look amazing and remind me it is time to go back to the area (mixed emotions as several areas I visited were decimated in the earthquakes).

4. SkippyBing

Drones in Nepal

Went trekking on the Annapurna trail in 2018 with a friend. We were carrying our own gear so fairly minimal, a couple of changes of clothes, washkit, and a kindle for me. He sacrificed everything to pack his drone and SLR, to capture the sights. You can imagine his delight at discovering the whole area had been made a No Drone Zone about a week before our arrival...

5. Martin Gregorie

Thats nice, but...

IMO anyway, while flying a flying a drone from the summit of Mt Everest is a cool thing to have done, it doesn't come near Klaus Ohlmann's 2014 adventure when he made a 582km out-and-return soaring flight from Pokara to Mt Everest, using the point above its summit as his turnpoint. This flight was made in a Stemme VT10 self-launching glider. That flight was bookended by flying the VT10 from Germany to Pokara for a Himalayan meteorological research project based in Pokara, 126km east of Kathmandu. After his soaring flight over Everest, he flew the Stemme back to Germany from Pokara.

The Stemme was flown to and from Nepal because that was cheaper, easier and quicker than using surface transport, to say nothing of the hassle that dealing with customs and shipping paperwork would have been. Anyway, those flights would have much been more fun than sitting on a ship or in an airliner.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like