back to article Microsoft leaves the Office, rebrands everything as 365

MS Office changed its name to Microsoft 365 years ago, but now appears to be doing a mastercleanse to fully scrub away the brand and embrace the entire suite as "productivity" rather than Office apps. Microsoft already renamed its Office 365 suite to Microsoft 365 in 2017, but now Office.com – the domain that hosts the web- …

1. alain williams Silver badge

Survey missing option

"I don't give a toss".

I am very happy with LibreOffice.

1. Spamfast
      FAIL

Re: Survey missing option

And LibreOffice doesn't crawl its way into every nook and cranny of the registry.

The registry, by the way, which is one of the most collosal cock-ups of computing in modern times. An undocumented, fragile, non-normal-form, quadratic access database of items many of which can crash the OS if corrupted or left in the wrong state by a crappy uninstaller.

1. aerogems Silver badge

To be fair, having individual configuration files creates a lot of clutter and wasted disk space. Not sure what the "correct" solution would be... maybe replace the registry and individual config files with a SQL database... but there are good and bad points to everything. A bad init.d config file or systemd value could cause the exact same problems of an unbootable machine. We old timers can still remember the scourge of seeing "LI" on boot and then hearing a string of expletives.

1. Kev99 Silver badge

How about going back to the original layout where every applications was free and by itself, when you could move them to other drives without a full reinstall.

1. aerogems Silver badge

Even Linux has gotten away from this of late. While macOS kind of does this, you are not so subtly guided towards having all apps "installed" in the /Applications directory.

I like the idea myself, and you can get portable versions of a lot of apps, but sometimes that means functionality is limited. It's not the 1980s anymore where every app was essentially an OS unto itself.

2. MOH

That was a while ago. I remember playing the original Doom in college where all the C: drive partitions were write protected, with a writable D: drive.

Doom had its save file location hardcoded as being on the C: drive. So you could play it, but you couldn't save.

Which meant you had to finish the whole thing in one sitting. Got pretty nerve-wracking towards the end.

3. Jakester

In the early days of Windows 3.x, there were many Windows applications that were absolutely rock-solid and were $20 or less. Part of their robustness was they had all their configurations local to their own directory and didn't rely on the registry. The manufacturers had to make sure their software was solid to keep their prices low.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Linux

And LibreOffice doesn't crawl its way into every nook and cranny of the registry.

No it doesn't, I run Arch (BTW).

Can we have a penguin in a gimp mask please?

1. J. Cook Silver badge
          Gimp

What, this one isn't good enough? /silly

3. EVP

“ which is one of the most collosal cock-ups of computing ever”

Fixed it for you.

4. Missing Semicolon Silver badge

I see your "registry" and raise you "dconf"

2. d3vy

Cared enough to comment though.

Spending time commenting about a logo for an office suite that you don't even use... Having a busy day there?1

1 Clearly I'm not.

3. Kev99 Silver badge

I prefer LibreOffice as well. It would be a lot better if mictosoft didn't have the Error 2503/2504 boobytrap so I could more easily upgrade the LO edition.

4. Bruce Ordway

>>I am very happy with LibreOffice.

And I am still happy with Office 2003...especially since the addition of all the useless "features" in subsequent versions

1. J. Cook Silver badge

I dunno; having to do full uninstalls and reinstalls of 2003 to fix OLE errors instead of just doing a repair install was a time sink and highly aggravating for both the end user and the tech who got saddled with it.

while I hate the ribbon interface as much as everyone else, office 2010 was probably the most stable of the lot in my arrogant opinion.

(and don't get me started about the Charlie Foxtrot and five dimensional gymnastics that are required to install things like Office 365 when another 'office' program like Visio is present.)

1. ProfessorLarry

I still use Office 2010, although I am resigned to someday having to move to the far inferior and quirky 365--if I live that long. When I hear my wife, an academic who shares an office with me, cursing and grumbling over some screw-up as she prepares her class notes and papers and slides, I know that 365 has struck again. Office 2010 under Win 10 just keeps on keeping on.

2. mmonroe

>> while I hate the ribbon interface as much as everyone else

Does this help? https://www.ubit.ch/software/ubitmenu-languages/ I have been using it for years.

3. DoctorPaul

Ah yes, Office 2010 which I "bought" or thought I did.

Then I had to reinstall Windows (7 of course) and found that Microsoft had turned off the activation servers!

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: Microsoft had turned off the activation servers!

This is one of my soapbox arguments when people choose Microsoft rather than my recommendation.

IIRC this first manifested itself with Office 2000, where Microsoft not only removed all their Service Packs for the product, but it looks as if they coerced other sites to do likewise. This is almost spiteful, vindictive behaviour: but Microsoft, these are your loyal customers.

===

I don't suppose you can reinstall Office 2010 every few weeks when the grace period expires? Or does it have a hidden registry key, which then means a full OS reinstall?

2. hitmouse

You must spend a lot of time evaluating 20 years' worth of new features in a dozen applications!

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Likewise, LibreOffice works fine, shame I have to use MSOffice Online at my current place because they won’t pay for the standalone version. Don’t like the new look web Outlook ribbon either.

6. Piro Silver badge

I find the performance LibreOffice to be atrocious.

Highlighting cells in calc doesn't update the count and selected column/row count in the status bar immediately.

Saving files in OpenDocument format in Calc causes them to take a very long time to load, the fix was to use Excel's format.

I don't understand, it was a fresh, clean install on a fresh install of Windows on a machine with a 5950X.

LibreOffice has a feeling of jank that surprises me.

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I may not care personally, but my clients do, and that means so do I.

8. deadlockvictim

The survey is missing the 'Meh' option.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Coat

"we are creating an experience"

Oh they certainly have been, and for a long while.

I'm willing to bet it's not always the one they thinking of.

1. TReko
      Coat

Office 359

Yes, it should be called Office 359, it works 359 / 365 days a year.

3. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Heavens above! I haven't heard anything so exciting since someone put the "we are frying new potatoes" sign up at the chip shop ...

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Happy

To quote Steve Martin, "The new phonebook's here! The new phonebook's here!"

2. Youngone Silver badge

I used to work in the printing industry and had to stand around endlessly while marketing "people" agonised about whether PMS 184 was the right colour for that bit of the new logo, or maybe PMS 185 was more in keeping with the zeitgeist of the streets (or whatever).

It's no wonder I drink.

4. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
    Linux

"Over the last couple years, Microsoft 365 has evolved into our flagship productivity suite"

I mean, there's still bugs in there that I reported in Word 2.0c, but yay, go you.

I've always felt Micros~1 Office was a bit of a waste of money myself, but there you are.

1. Twilight

I used to be locked into Office because I used a lot of Excel sheets with (VBA) macros. I never understood why nothing else (including MS Office for Mac) supported (Windows) Excel macros.

At work, I'm now forced to use GSuite and am actually quite happy with it except some places where they decided to keep Excel behavior (where it was particularly boneheaded like merged cells) rather than actually implementing it in a useful fashion.

2. MOH

That doesn't rule out it being Microsoft's flagship of productivity. It's just that the flag is flying very, very low.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Indeed. I look forward to the day when Microsoft 365 makes me more productive than, say, WordPerfect and 123 did back in the day. Even positive productivity, rather than wasting half my time fighting bugs, would be notable.

Re: WordPerfect and 123 did back in the day

The thing is, what functionality do the latest versions of Word and Excel really have over WordPerfect and 123?

I made a lot of money back in the day by being a Certified WordPerfect trainer. I also setup the corporate identity for some pretty meaty organisations. In those days you setup style sheets and everyone used those templates for all of their work. No fudging the margins or changing the font size to make it fit.

Telephone support was easy too, once the application has focus.

What is the difference between then and now? I would hazard a guess that it is something to do with proper training. Who goes on training courses these days to learn how to use Word? It's expected that you know how to use it, and this arguably starts at school. But the overviews at school presumably concentrate on the frilly things you can do with the program, rather than the disciplined approach that should be ingrained into the corporate psyche. Trouble is that these people move up the ranks, so ad hoc becomes the norm. Then you have the situation that there are an endless stream of new versions, which means it is not viable for companies to provide training for every new iteration that is issued.

I still have clients still using WordPerfect: a non-IT savvy actor/author - the books he has written are thick cross-referenced tomes where accuracy of indexing of the content is critical. He supplied the indexes to the publisher. His wife who has awards to her name for the work she has done for the BBC is also a user.

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Trollface

there's still bugs in there that I reported in Word 2.0c

After an unspecified amount of time they become *features*

5. BenDwire Silver badge
    IT Angle

Oooh, nice album cover!

The first thing that logo reminded me of was the excellent (if you like prog) concept album Dimensionaut. It feature's Phil Collin's other son on drums, and was produced by one of Genesis's sound engineers.

Time to give that another listen, then maybe rewatch Red Dwarf Ouroboros for the complete Möbius experience.

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Oooh, nice album cover!

Ah, I remember that episode. It wasn’t a bad one overall.

“Look, they wrote his name on the box! Our Rob or Ross!”

2. Youngone Silver badge

Re: Oooh, nice album cover!

Waddaya mean if you like prog? Doesn't everyone?

Thanks for the tip. I'll track that albumn down. Looks like it's right up my alley.

6. WolfFan Silver badge

Nuke it from orbit

It’s the only way to be sure.

7. d3vy

Ok. So thats clearly a purple anus.

Not the way I'd have gone with it but you know, Im sure Ill get used to it :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My thoughts exactly. Well, mine were a bit worse. I guess that's how Microsoft sees all of us, as one big purple anus waiting for... well, you can figure out the rest.

1. hitmouse

That was a penetrating observation.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

touché!

2. MOH

I was thinking more it's the big purple anus via which they regularly issue turds.

Seems quite appropriate.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Pass me the incense and put the whale song up to 11.

I've said it before (re. DropBox and someone was kind enough to quote me later), but good Logos don't use colour gradients (color transitionations for the yanks) because they don't work in grey scale or black and white or with the colour blind. This new effort depends almost entirely on colours, as such, I don't expect to last long in the its current form.

For all that's not to like about it, Microsoft Office, was very good branding. When it was launched it defined a new category of which it was, obviously, primus. Microsoft 365 on the other hand sounds like little more than a subscription service. Okay, this is what it is, but it's not very aspirational, is it? What is it people can expect to get from their subscription?

1. katrinab Silver badge
        Trollface

Re: Pass me the incense and put the whale song up to 11.

Well presumably it is 1.39% better than Norton 360?

1. Mike007 Bronze badge

Better? Or just more optimistic?

2. EVP
          Trollface

I hate to do this to you… but it’s actually 1.44% - on the average. You forgot the leap day. In marketing, every bit counts.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
            Coat

must've calculated it with a Pentium-1

2. J. Cook Silver badge
        Boffin

Charlie Clark wrote:

Okay, this is what it is, but it's not very aspirational, is it? What is it people can expect to get from their subscription?

Let's see... automatic, forced updates with no control over when they are installed (it's decoupled from windows/Microsoft update); background usage of your internet connection to download said updates with no real control over bandwidth usage*; a STRONG attempt to push you to storing your documents in OneDrive (to the point where autosaves anywhere else are forbidden!), and the usual spate of showstopper bugs, security holes, and the usual drivel that Office has been famous for. And the occasional bought of it being unable to be used (web app mode) or to contact the license server to get it's "mother may I" pass when the servers fall over (locally installed mode).

I think that covered the bulk of it?

* It might use the OS settings for bandwidth throttling if it's running on windows 10; I wouldn't rightly know, I'm using it on an enterprise managed system...

1. Cxwf

>storing your documents in OneDrive (to the point where autosaves anywhere else are forbidden!)

That’s only if you HAVE a OneDrive account! If you simply never sign up, that problem solves itself!

Re: If you simply never sign up, that problem solves itself!

It will be obligatory in Windows 12

Black Helicopters

Re: If you simply never sign up, that problem solves itself!

part of the online identity, timesharing, and cloudy storage model is the ability for 3rd parties and gummints to see where you are and what you're up to... (where exactly in the world is that server located?)

2. Kurgan

until..

Until you are FORCED to have one.

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

If you're in a corporation and they flick the switch you're getting OneDrive.

I'd worked something was wrong when it made a new OneDrive directory in my home directory and was moving documents into it, then it choked on a bunch of source code trees. It even moved the Desktop and Documents folders into the OneDrive folder. I mean, WTF is that about, can't MS sync files any other way?

So that was a couple of hours wasted putting everything back and then uninstalling OneDrive, which will probably be impossible in Windows 11.

3. Notas Badoff

Busy bees squeezed in their cells

It's a honeycomb cell in a vise. Motivation they call it. Productivity they call it. Then they kick you in the buzzer.

4. MrReynolds2U
      Pint

that left me somewhere between lmfaorotfl and "you owe me a new keyboard", so have a beer on me :)

5. sebacoustic
      Black Helicopters

Imagine my surprise...

OK so it does look a bit arsey.

Still, it's a double-twisted Möbius tape so I had to (t's Friday after all) tear a strip off a piece of A4, fold it and staple it in the shape of the new MS365/goodle drive/arsehole logo and play with it.

Turns out if you tear the strip in half, you get... an intersecting triangle thing known as a Valknut, a Norse symbol co-opted by rightwing nutters as a symbol of white supremacy.

Plenty conspiracy theory material right there!

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If someone hasn't produced a modified version of the logo with a pair of hands on it by the end of the day, for the, umm, full goatse experience, I'll be very disappointed…

(Sadly, I guess that Orifice 365 jokes will now no longer be possible…)

8. Ball boy Silver badge

Lipstick: meet pig

The case rests

Trollface

Re: Lipstick: meet pig

by all indications, including the overall shape of the logo,. they failed to put the lipstick on the end that goes "oink"

9. Gene Cash Silver badge

Not even a hint of joking

... about joss sticks and whalesong

10. miken101

Recylce?

I thing nearer the recycling symbol/logo than Google Drive.

11. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Cue Microsoft cloud going down next leap year - with a statement about how this was a 1 in 1424 even which couldn't have been predicted

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 365

or the price quadrupling every fourth year

2. J. Cook Silver badge
      Joke

Yep; there's a very good reason I call it Office 279, or Office 307, depending on how many outages they've had in a given 12 month period...

3. adam 40 Silver badge
      FAIL

Yeah just don't expect it to work on February 29th...

Or February 28th,,, or the 27th either.... or... ot....

12. MJI Silver badge

Orifice at work Libre at home

I hate orifice, stupid ribbons, stupid save dialogs/

Does my head in.

I note they can't quite manage a year, not 365.24

1. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Re: Orifice at work Libre at home

I think you'll find that's 365.2425 days per year. Despite what Microsoft claims, 1900 wasn't a leap year.

1. MJI Silver badge

We know about 1900 hence not 365.25

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Devil

ACK on 1900 not a leap year. Occasionally I need to dredge up my old date to days algorithm and that one 'if' statement about leap years being divisible by 4 and either NOT divisible by 100 (1900), or divisible by 400 (2000), but that may not work with non-Gregorian calendars or the various times in which a calendar correction was made. Still ok for anything after the 18th century.

(last time I used it was re-writing some bloatware web page calendar javascript data entry thingy for picking a date, for which the old one was some canned BS-ware that used, of all things, JQUERY - when I got done with it, NATIVE JS ONLY - and the adaptation of 30 year old C code was pretty straightforward)

1. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge
          Trollface

bring back the 30th of February!

13. nijam Silver badge

> ...embrace the entire suite as "productivity" rather than Office apps.

I rebranded Office as an "obstructivity suite" years ago.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

I'm a little confused...

Today I downloaded "Microsoft 365 Apps for Business" formally known as Office 365 desktop. So are MS rebranding this to "Microsoft 365 Productivity for Business"?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

you are confusing it with Microsoft 365 for Suits

14. Kev99 Silver badge

But will the tasks that have been in the various office desktop software be enabled? You, like, printing, mail merge, macros, etc?

1. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge
      Joke

Printing is bad for the environment -> removed

Mail merge is a source of spam -> removed

Macros are bad for security -> removed

15. Dave K

There seems to be more and more ditching of product names lately. Office is now just Microsoft, Intel's new budget CPUs will be Processors. What's next I wonder?

Ford to rebrand as "Car"?

Windows to be rebranded as "Mess"?

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Ford to rebrand as "Car"?

They sorta tried it already.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Ka

1. Death Boffin
        Joke

Tea party

That only worked in Baaston.

2. MJI Silver badge

They set up a Focus group to work on names for cars (Ka) I wonder if it started on a Monday?

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Not it started on Mondeo

1. milliemoo83

And on Friday nights they were allowed Escorts

3. Alligator

They famously formed a focus group to name a car or two and came away with "Ford Focus" and "Ford Ka". I wonder what they thought was wrong with "Groupie"? (random spellings optional).

16. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

I bet there are a lot of people out there, shaking their heads, and muttering "Word[s] fail[s] me".

There will be others who are saying "Excellent". Is that what they are saying? Or are they saying "Excel Lent"?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

There will be others who are saying "Excellent"....in Monty Burns voice?

2. A.A.Hamilton

No, they are saying "Excrement".

17. Blackjack Silver badge

However at Microsoft who is in charge of deciding names should be fired. Even today "Microsoft Office" is more know that a mere number.

Re: However at Microsoft who is in charge of deciding names should be fired.

Maybe they are not keen on being confused with the Dunder Mifflin Paper Company

1. MrReynolds2U

even with Michael at the helm, I think they were more productive

2. Blackjack Silver badge

Say that again when people start asking where is Microsoft Office in their job computers.

18. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Möbius strip

Not sure if they are aware of this, but it takes twice as long to navigate a Möbius strip as it does a normal strip.

===

Rumours that this was inspired by a Microsoft exec putting the belt on his trousers the wrong way round one day are purely fake. Sadly the diet he was on at the time is not THAT effective.

1. Dev_Fit
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: Möbius strip

Not sure if they are aware of this, but it takes twice as long to navigate a Möbius strip as it does a normal strip. – BWHAHAHAHAHAHA - that's awesome.

1. graeme leggett Silver badge
        Headmaster

Re: Möbius strip

But you only traverse half the normal strip.

Re: But you only traverse half the normal strip.

I knew someone would point that out.

Microsoft don't currently use the reverse side of a ribbon though. Don't give them ideas!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVC7bU2bL2U

Of course, if the strip is cut length-ways it turns into a normal strip of double the length, albeit half the width. MS seem to have a preference for making these things wider though, so that the ribbon occupies the whole screen at the expense of being able to edit a document.

1. Fifth Horseman

Re: But you only traverse half the normal strip.

"Of course, if the strip is cut length-ways it turns into a normal strip of double the length, albeit half the width."

It's actually a little bit more subtle than that... Try it, then cut the resulting strip in half lengthwise again. The end is result is probably not what you would expect.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Mi$serable Bastards are out again today I see.

Re: The Mi$serable Bastards are out again today I see.

Hey Satya, why complain with your monthly paycheck.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

aka the Moebius Nazis. Late joiner, but count me in!

20. YetAnotherXyzzy

Microsoft 365, Office 365, just plain Office, Outlook 365, Outlook on the Web, OWA, Outlook.com, just plain Outlook. It's the antihero with a thousand faces.

21. Kobus Botes
    Gimp

That is no Möbius strip!!

It looks more like a mangled and tortured piece of plastic.

Perhaps inspired by a vaguely remembered Escher drawing of an impossible object, badly executed in MS Paint, by the coloured pencil department HOD's nephew.

Unfortunately the resemblance to Escher is as close as Vogon poetry is to real poetry (pick your own poet).

(Or as closely as he resembles the sorely missed Paris icon) ------------------------------------------------->>

22. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge

Wake me up

when they admit office 365 &3/4 is a huge pile of poo and the only reason it sells is because

1. nobody gets fired for buying it

2. everyone and their dog has files that only office can read (unless the file is over four years old , then you'll need libra office)

oh... and dont even get me started on the huge amount of e.waste coming when win 11 trashes 1/2 the world's PCs for next to no gain.

Unhappy

Re: Wake me up

I actually got scolded and even ridiculed once back in 1997 when I was doing remote work and I was e-mailed a document "in the new format". I asked very nicely if I could get documents in RTF format, got the scolding and ridicule, and ended up paying $$$ for the NEWER Office 97, which had CLIPPY in it. WORST. PURCHASE. EVAR!

23. stratcat

I generally don't mind it...

... at least to use...

But the administration systems for 0365 are an ever-evolving patchwork of stuff that is just hell on earth to deal with.

1. Pirate Dave Silver badge
      Pirate

Re: I generally don't mind it...

Amen. I just noticed this morning that MS has re-designed the GUI for editing mail flow rules, because "better"...

And really, what in Hell's name was wrong with the previous (classic) Exchange Admin panel? Oh, right, it had all the Exchange-related settings available from a single screen instead of strewn across 3 or 4 different admin areas. Yeah, we can't have efficiencies like that, gotta make the admins work for their money.

So many stupid ideas in the past 5 years. O365/M365 could be a somewhat decent product if MS would stop fucking with it constantly.

24. that one in the corner Silver badge

Create content like a pro

(as the MS website puts it)

Whenever I see "content" used like that I always read it as "pablum". Just an observation about their target audience.

25. Mark Simon

That logo is really annoying.

If you go through the effort of following the edge that disappears underneath, it seems to get lost. If it’s supposed to be a Möbius, it is badly done. It’s more like a poorly implemented illusion.

Pretty well summarises my experiences with Microsoft Office. +1 for LibreOffice.

26. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Clippy

There is very little demand for actual Paper Clips these days, compared to say, 25 years ago, around the same time as when Clippy started popping up uninvited.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Clippy

The only bit of real actual advice that I can remember from a Government business start-up course in the 1990's, was make sure you don't use paper clips in any office, as they get into printers and jam them, and today, it's almost come full circle, Microsoft's 'virtual paper-clips', aka. Windows Update, and the endless crappy non-functioning updates, that are preventing printing.

2. MJI Silver badge

Re: Clippy

I still remember typing del clippit.act

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Careful, don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

The new logo looks like dirty water heading down the plug hole, and precious files on iffy OneDrive are the baby.

On a device smaller than 10.1'' (so no need for subscription YET, though adding 365 is a giveaway) I have to now log in using a Microsoft account, when all I want to do is save the file locally to my device, offline. I don't always have a mobile signal.

An Office feature that I expected to remain, because it came on software installed at the time of purchase, not something I've added, but with updates, Microsoft have added more and more restrictions on use, to the point of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. It now no longer provides its core function any more.

More BS from Microsoft, telling us what we can and cannot do, while slurping our data.

Where's the UK's CMA competition watchdog on this? Fcuking nowhere, that's where.

28. localzuk Silver badge

The Microsoft Department of Renaming Things

Seems to be the most productive part of their company now.

1. Tim 11

Re: The Microsoft Department of Renaming Things

It's not just frippery either - it's a significant frustration in working with MS products. searching for information is really difficult when products are being renamed all the time, especially when multiple unrelated products moved under the same brand e.g. skype (business vs home), PowerApps (canvas vs model-driven)

1. 43300 Silver badge

The worst currently is 'Teams' which refers to the business program which most of us have to use (and its cloudy back-end), and also to the consumer chat thing in W11 which pins itself to the taskbar but which nobody actually uses.

I watched some of that Ignite thing. It was painful - loads of airy rhetoric from people who were Soooo Exciddeddd about everything but very little of any substance. Changing logos was about the level of it!

And Outlook which is both a mail client and a consumer email service.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Damn, and I read it as a Department of Reaming Things! What's wrong with me?!

Coat

I read it as a Department of Reaming Things! What's wrong with me?!

"Freudian Slip" Dylsexia. Happens to me a lot.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

but... it's only Thursday, for (...) sake! What is REALLY wrong with me?!

29. thondwe

Marketing Pain(t)

Seems Marketing at out messing things up again - users will continue to refer to it as "Office" for many years I expect! Though not as bad as the Viva Engage/Yammer tangle

Marketing and Licencing - the evil twins getting in the way!!

30. Tubz Silver badge
    Facepalm

Office 365 is now officially dead and say hello to Microsoft 365, don't worry, all your favourite bugs and flaws remain but hey, look at our cool new logo we found time to do. Just keep paying the subscription plans, move along nothing to see.

31. arachnoid2

"cha-ching" Micro$oft

We are changing the "cha-ching" name of our product to make it more relevant to our "cha-ching" customer base.

Im suprised they dont incorporate the $ sign in the name

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

the nail in the coffin

Lie back and don't think of the subscription costs.

33. FirstTangoInParis Bronze badge

So …. THAT other ribbon

Given retro and u-turns are in vogue (at least for right-pondians), when is the toolbar ribbon going? There was nothing wrong with Office 97, there was no need to fix it. Movable toolbars work well on large screen rotatable monitors.

34. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Obligatory post about 365 using Octal radix.

===

I really don't understand why they didn't brand it 366, meaning they go the extra mile. Oh? Yes, I see your point.

35. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
    Facepalm

I'm blue, badabi badaba...

Why are all icons blue? Everywhere you see, is this hideous blue / purple conmbination.

For someone colorblind, like myself, telling apart the icons for Onenote, Outlook, Teams, Word or Visio at a glance is impossible.

I'm sure there is some w*nker artistic explanation why not to use a more extended color palette, but not sure if I want to hear it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like