back to article Want to crawl inside a nuke plant swinging a hammer? No? Toshiba's inspection bots will do it instead

On Wednesday Toshiba launched its commercialized robot inspection services for power plant turbine generators. The Japanese MNC offers two types of robots: an ultra-thin version for all sizes of generators, and a more multi-function problem-solving version for – in Toshiba's words – "a wide range of inspections for domestic …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Swinging a hammer"?

There I was, looking forward to some 1cm thick contraption with a sledgehammer sticking out but no, it merely taps.

Interesting device, mind, but my inner child couldn't help feeling slightly disappointed for some reason :)

2. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Taking over yuman jobs. Won't they be demanding yuman rights, like on Star Trek?

1. TRT Silver badge

They might start by forming...

their own social club.

3. Mike 137 Silver badge

Horses for courses

This is where automata really do pay off. It's a pity that applications like these are in the minority among the plethora of rather pointless consumer-targeted offerings ('autonomous' lawn mowers at al.). But I guess the latter are where the big money is - you can only sell so many nuclear reactor inspection robots.

1. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge

Re: Horses for courses

The automated lawn-mower is an advance, just like the automated washing machine was.

I can't wait until they're cheap enough that I can justify having a robot mow my lawn.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Considering how expensive lawn service is getting, that's not such a low bar any more.

2. M.V. Lipvig Silver badge
        Joke

I can see it now, the Tesla robo-mower, chasing Little Jimmy up a tree before atracking a police cruiser

2. SVD_NL Bronze badge

The big advantage of catering to a niche market is that you can put a price tag on it that allows you to cover the millions you put in R&D. Especially if that market is used to dealing with massive amounts of money

4. TheRealRoland
    Headmaster

But will it be able to do the 'Huh... That's funny.' thing, while buzzing around?

5. David 132 Silver badge
    Mushroom

All I can think of is this scene from Chernobyl. Let's hope this one is rated for more than 2000 Roentgen.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

that is a shame

I knew a guy who performed cooling line (from the river to the buildings) inspections at a nuclear plant, a couple of coal plants, and an LNG plant. He earned enough during those 10 days out of the year that he didn't need a 2nd job.

7. M.V. Lipvig Silver badge

Tink tink tonk

oops...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like