back to article Delta Air Lines throws $60m at flying taxi startup Joby Aviation

The fledgling flying taxi industry has been given another vote of confidence with a $60 million investment from US airline Delta in Joby Aviation. The sum will give Delta a 2 percent stake in Joby, which counts Uber Technologies among its investors, with the potential to grow to $200 million if the service reaches certain …

1. wangi
    FAIL

I18N

Would love to fly on a jobby from Glasgow to Edinburgh. Once you get over the smell.

1. tiggity Silver badge

Re: I18N

I'm guessing the increasing Americanisation and humour reduction in El Reg these days meant there was no wordplay jokes in the article for those familiar with jobby (especially anyone Scottish or who has had minimal experience of Scotland or Scots - back when Billy Connoly was frequently on UK TV I doubt he rarely spoke for longer than a minute before jobby was uttered)

1. Wally Dug

If this was a Scottish service, then to honour the Big Yin, it would surely be called The Jobbie Weecha!!!?

Swimmity swimmity, anyone? Rowattie boat?

2. lnLog
      Facepalm

exactly this^ of course everyone wants to ride a flying turd

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        Coat

You already can! Just go here with your hard-earned cash.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They only really had to fight Joby Tripods for the website registration, and it was extremely cheap

But the main fight was with Mr Joby Taylor, Consultant Urologist at Circle Health Group, who seems to be in the wrong job

2. Detective Emil
    Meh

Having reduced delays in getting to the airport …

… the next job will be to reduce delays at the airport.

1. DishonestQuill

Re: Having reduced delays in getting to the airport …

Well, that's not something you'll ever manage, especially in Dublin

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Delta has $60 million to throw away ?

That's news.

I thought airlines operated at the limit of bankruptcy.

Oh well, electrical flying taxis. A nice idea - until one falls on your head.

1. jdiebdhidbsusbvwbsidnsoskebid Silver badge

Re: Delta has $60 million to throw away ?

"A nice idea - until one falls on your head"

Isn't that the same issue with combustion engine powered flying taxis, aka helicopters? Which got me thinking, is anyone developing electric helicopters? Granted, a hex or quad copter is easier for a human to control, maybe that's the reason.

5. Blergh
    Black Helicopters

Just a quite helicopter

So it's basically an electric helicopter that can be used by the rich to get to their jets without it being so noisy.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Just a quite helicopter

Yes like jet airlines are just a flying ocean liner that lets the rich get to America quicker

2. steelpillow Silver badge
      Boffin

Yes, more or less - no irony this time. However VTOL embraces far more than helicopters; gyroplanes, fan lift and tiltwings (e.g. Osprey) for starters. Electric propulsion makes multi-engine solutions viable, so throw those into the mix too. The challenge no dot-com ubergeek can resist is to make something that is actually more practical and economic than the classic and hence so bo-oring whirly thing with a tail rotor. It is easy to make wacky toys, less easy to make them viable at full scale. I personally am not waiting up.

1. Ball boy Silver badge

Small correction: gyroplanes are not VTOL aircraft in that they typically use 100m or so in ground effect to build up sufficient rotor speed to assume safe flight. True, they can (and often do) land with almost zero ground-roll but VTOL it 'aint.

*If the pre-rotate is sufficient AND there's the right speed of headwind then vertical take offs would be possible, just as they would in any winged aircraft if the wind was blowing hard enough to generate sufficient lift - but wind speeds that high are beyond the safe operating envelope of the craft for that very reason.

3. werdsmith Silver badge

It’s not a helicopter in that it doesn’t use cyclic to control flight.

6. katrinab Silver badge
    Facepalm

Someone clearly isn't familiar with what that word means in Scotland.

It makes me think of something very brown and smelly, and not very good.

1. WolfFan Silver badge

Gordon Brown?

1. katrinab Silver badge

No, Joby Airlines basically means "flying turd", but in somewhat ruder language.

7. Zolko Silver badge

$60 million investment [...] The sum will give Delta a 2 percent stake in Joby ...

Holy cow ! That would make Joby's valuation at 3 billion !!! For a firm not having ANY product or service, only pipe dreams.

... which counts Uber Technologies among its investors

Well, that explains a lot. How do these crooks raise so much money on so evidently unworkable projects ? Where does all this money come from, and where does it go ?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Theranos Mk2?

8. Winkypop Silver badge
    Unhappy

I flew JFK to NY downtown over 30 years ago

Avgas or Leccy, still not flying cars!

9. fpx
    Black Helicopters

Just like a flying ... Helicopter

Of course there are already plenty of flying taxis for the super-rich using helicopters.

And this gadget can do everything that a helicopter can. Except for range. And speed. And payload. When they talk about four passengers, they are probably thinking four times 100lb with no luggage.

Well, helicopters are difficult to fly, and expensive to run and maintain, so maybe electric quadcopters or similar designs will offer an advantage there, opening up the flying taxi market to the slightly less affluent. I.e., not just multi-millionaires but also TikTok influencers and the like.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like