back to article Former Uber CSO convicted for covering up massive 2016 data theft

Joe Sullivan, Uber's former chief security officer, has been found guilty of illegally covering up the theft of Uber drivers and customers' personal information. Sullivan, previously a cybercrime prosecutor for the US Department of Justice, was charged two years ago with obstruction of justice and misprision – concealing a …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Mushroom

Uber. Again.

The never-ending slew of scandal and misfits.

Frankly, by now, the company should be disbanded, it's management forbidden from ever managing again, and it's name buried under a ton of concrete.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Uber. Again.

Forget Uber. What about this jackasses actions while he was a DoJ prosecutor? Surely every prosecution in which he was involved is now tainted.

2. doublelayer Silver badge

In their defense, it's more the same period, again. Uber may not be a great company now, but they were a really bad one in the mid 2010s. The fallout from that period, including this action from 2016, doesn't necessarily reflect on them today. They could theoretically have improved massively and this legal decision would still be required. I have no idea if they have improved or not.

1. logicalextreme

Indeed. To me though, they've been tainted from the beginning and I see no reason to believe that they're a good thing. I'm not so prissy that I'll book my own separate taxi if I'm in a group going somewhere and somebody's insisting on getting an Uber, but I suspect I'll die never having booked an Uber or installed the app.

One thing I really dislike about them is how a certain percentage of talk at parties or nights out has been annexed by Uber. At a certain point suddenly everybody's staring at their phones and waffling on about "surges". It's like being trapped in a kitchen at a party with someone who wants to talk about mortgages.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A fine is it?

Or will he face any real punishment?

According to the original charges it's breaches of 18 U.S.C. § 4 and § 1505.

The guidelines are that whoever violates those shall be:

"fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both."

and

"fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years or, if the offense involves international or domestic terrorism (as defined in section 2331), imprisoned not more than 8 years, or both."

Respectively. So 8 years of prison and a hefty fine sounds like the maximum available?

That might make others take these things a bit more seriously, but colour me surprised if there will be any prison time involved.

1. Halfmad

Re: A fine is it?

If he's rich he'll be able to buy his freedom, this is the way in the USA.

If he's skint, he's going to prison.

2. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: A fine is it?

I don't think anyone will argue that there was terrorism involved in this hacking for money event, so I think the realistic maximum is five years. As a first offense and depending on how successful his lawyers are, he's probably not getting anything close to that.

3. lglethal Silver badge
    Facepalm

"Yes, totally your honour. It's normal for us to pay a bug bounty of €100k, without the CEO knowing any details about it. Absolutely normal business practices. Ahem..."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The prosecutors showed evidence that Sullivan shared details of the hack and payment with then-Uber CEO Travis Kalanick, as well as the company’s chief privacy lawyer. They also claimed he didn’t reveal it to Uber’s general counsel and said that later he didn’t expose the true scope of the incident to its new CEO, Dara Khosrowshahi.

Your "CEO" statement was a little vague - there being two in question. The one who WAS told is not facing charges. I fail to understand the logic behind that.

4. nichomach
    Trollface

"Kalanick has not been charged."

Well spank me silly and call me Susan, I'm SHOCKED. Well, not THAT shocked.

5. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

Missed opportunity

"A month later, after managing to identify one of them, an Uber representative met the man in Florida and had him sign a confidentiality agreement."

It's almost too bad they didn't buy the scumbag a pair of cement shoes and take him on an all-expenses-paid deep-sea fishing trip in Tampa Bay.. To show their gratitude, yeah. But no, this is what happens when the lawyers get involved - "confidentiality agreement". So the little piece of shit can continue his mischief against the rest of us. Thanks, Uber.

1. WolfFan Silver badge

Re: Missed opportunity

Tampa Bay is polluted enough as it is, adding more is not a good idea.

1. stiine Silver badge

Not after this last hurricane, it isn't. Its got all new water.

1. Someone Else Silver badge

Too soon?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like