back to article China upgrades Great Firewall to defeat censor-beating TLS tools

China appears to have upgraded its Great Firewall, the instrument of pervasive real-time censorship it uses to ensure that ideas its government doesn’t like don’t reach China’s citizens. Great Firewall Report (GFW), an organization that monitors and reports on China’s censorship efforts, has this week posted a pair of …

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

DreamWeavers’R’Us Future Builders Unlimited

While dissent has been limited to occasional online rumblings, China will not want its internet to carry anything other than good – no, brilliant! – news of the Congress to its people.

A heavenly gift which is quite different and diametrically opposed and predisposed to be fundamentally at odds with all of the news that the West offers to its peoples and expects them to accept as gospel and render support to ‽?.!

2. dhawkshaw

Spam

If only they would block the deluge of spam coming *out* of China ..

3. AntonOfTheWoods

Not blocked everywhere

I am reading (and posting) this from Yunnan, over v2ray on my phone. My home-built wireguard system (to an outside VPS) has also not missed a beat either. Yunnan is typically much harder to get out from too (ie, connections that work fine from Shenzhen are completely blocked here), so not every is blocked using these tools, at least not yet anyway!

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Not blocked everywhere

Welcome to El Reg, AntonOfTheWoods.

Nice to see you, to see you, nice.:-)

4. razorfishsl

The google.com, is not blocked in china.....

it is blocked by google, we ran some tests outside of china looking the the DNS resolution and how it was blocked

we found we could get a computer outside of china blocked by google, if we triggered a DNS lookup inside of china.

The addresses returned resolved to addresses inside google over in calafornia data center , but access to google was blocked.

Even for a non China based computer....

So er let's not be blaming China on this one.....

1. BOFH in Training

This is interesting, I wonder if they resolve to the standard addresses Google uses for it's google.com domain or it resolves to something else which is hosted in Google Cloud, and so controlled by someone other then Google (China maybe, to figure out who is trying to access google using their DNS servers?)

2. doublelayer Silver badge

So, if I'm understanding your claim, you sent out a DNS packet (which doesn't identify your machine) inside China, then moved the computer outside of China, and it was blocked? There doesn't appear to be any mechanism for them to identify that computer if they wanted to block it, as the DNS packet only contains the IP address of the requester, which would have changed if you left China. Unless I'm misunderstanding your testing, I think you may have misinterpreted the results.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's not "The Google.com" It's now google.com. That was the old name China used.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like