back to article Airbus auctions off bits from retired A380 superjumbo jet

Aviation enthusiasts without the budget to bag one of the discontinued Airbus A380s are in luck, as the jetmaker plans to auction off pieces from a retired superjumbo later this month. The three-day auction starts on October 13, and will include nearly 500 items, most of which were taken from the A380 with tail number MSN13, …

1. Wally Dug
    Alert

Subhead

I love the "Souvenirs, novelties, party tricks." subhead. What a brilliant movie that is!

Icon because... well, it's Top Secret!

1. simonlb Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Subhead

"Wait, you dropped your fake dug turd."

1. Mine's a Large One

What fake dog turd?

2. RockBurner

Young Omar at his best!

2. Snowy Silver badge
    Coat

Not

For spares then.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's not a Dreamliner...

It's not a Dreamliner so I might bid for some of the batteries. :-)

4. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

What I''m missing in life

The last thing I need is tshotshkes to remind me of trips in an airborne cattle car.

1. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge

Re: What I''m missing in life

That's why I view the demise of the 380 with a sad eye: even in economy it is one of the most spacious aircraft that made you feel less like being in a tube-shaped torture device. Also, the carriers that fly it don't quite assume all their pax are hobbit-sized.

1. SundogUK Silver badge

Yes, easy the best aircraft I have flown in.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

If there's any 1st class seats or whatever they call the "best seats" these days, I might bid up to £100 if they include P&P :-)

5. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge
    Meh

Kidney anyone?

Can I auction a kidney to be able to afford the auction for some of the items?

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Re: Kidney anyone?

After years of dealing with my yo-yo diets and occasional chocolate binges I'm not sure mine would fetch more than the price of a ballpoint pen.

6. Andrew Newstead

The party may not be over yet

Some rumblings were heard from Airbus recently that suggests that the A380 may not have had it’s day. Work is being done on the feasibility of restarting production on an updated version of the aircraft as a number of airlines are grabbing the laid up A380s quite quickly.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: The party may not be over yet

VERY unlikely. It's mainly Emirates Airlines that's grumbling it wants more jets, but at the same time it's never going to commit to maybe a hundred at most more. The 251 built was already insufficient for Airbus to keep the line running and 100 more (or even 150 if other customers buy a few) will likely not do much. They need the factory space to keep up with demand for all their smaller jets as they have such backlog that airlines are choosing to go to Boeing simply because they need planes faster than Airbus can possibly deliver them.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: The party may not be over yet

"airlines are choosing to go to Boeing simply because they need planes faster than Airbus can possibly deliver them."

That's a bit sweet'n'sour for Boeing! Boeing get to sell more planes but only because Airbus can't make enough to satisfy demand. Must be nice to be able to make out like a bandit because you're only 2nd choice :-)

7. ThatOne Silver badge

Airport Fowl

Can I have a wing? Deep-fried and dipped in hot sauce?

8. Westley

The a380 was so much nice than the 747, i was lucky that a mate used air miles so we could fly to SF on BA in the a380 and it was so nice a quite, we where in club world, so ofc it was nice.

But flying back on the 747, it was so noise and shaky and cramped.

9. Chris 15

Ahem

"A pair of crashes that killed everyone on board in 2018 and 2019 grounded the 737 MAX until last year, with flaws in its MCAS software ultimately found to have contributed to the fatal accidents."

(Emphasis mine)

Have to say that's putting it rather mildly guys.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like