back to article UK hits Russia with British IT services ban

Fresh export sanctions were leveled at Russia by the UK last week, with IT consultancy among other professional services that are banned. Musk you weigh in? Tesla and SpaceX supremo Elon Musk seemingly couldn't keep away from commenting on the annexation last night, suggesting that the sham referendums, which he referred to …

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Meh

So?

That'll really scare them! yea - right!

What about all the Russian 'owned' property in central London?

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Go

Re: So?

That would actually require the Government to do some work to identify who is actually behind the shell companies purchasing those properties.

And you know this Government doesnt actually like doing anything that even remotely looks like work. So fat chance of that happening...

1. Binraider Silver badge

They have the civil service to do actual work; which, even as a hardened leftie, you would be hard pressed to find me a more inefficient and ineffective org to get to do the job.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

What, that wizened underfunded husk tasked with the day-to-day running of the country?

Then you wonder why things are... suboptimal.

1. Binraider Silver badge

Plenty consultants milking off efficiency drives in the civil service. Not so much actual management capability.

Low and behold, throwing extra funding at it won't produce results due to nature of manglement.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

They're starved of cash for themselves because that is government policy, and they have a huge amount of cash for outsourcing because again that is government policy.

Imagine what would happen if that huge amount of cash were not spent on consultancies and the budget were available to build up in-house project management. Then they could hire contractors to do development, get better results, and still save a fortune.

1. BenDwire Silver badge
                Facepalm

You could be talking about the NHS too ...

2. Graham 25

I have to assume you have never met anyone from the UK Public Sector on any kind of project as they really are utterly useless at everything.

Definitely the scrapings at the bottom of the barrel, arguably the barrel material itself.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

The idea was that in-house project management wouldn't be the usual PPE wonders.

3. SundogUK Silver badge

Nah, they're too busy doing training courses on gender diversity and suchlike.

2. Wellyboot Silver badge

The Properties aren't going anywhere, there's no incentive to sell up when you're looking at a 100% loss due to sanctions and as we're not at war* with Russia they can't be seized as enemy property.

As time drags on, I'm sure some of these buildings will go the way of Chelsea FC with sale funds being frozen until sanctions are lifted - don't hold your breath, it could take decades.

*just a cold war with a very partisan interest in aiding the self defence requirements of a third party country.

3. R Soul Silver badge

More so when those properties tend to be owned by Russian oligarchs and kleptocrats who donate large amounts of money to the Conservative Party.

1. SundogUK Silver badge

Evidence, please.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Trollface

Russia loses access to UK IT consultancies

This time next week central Moscow looks like a futuristic Jetsons city.

1. R Soul Silver badge

Re: Russia loses access to UK IT consultancies

So could any English city if our government stopped shovelling billions at Crapita, KPMG, Fujistu, IBM, Accenture, BT, Oracle, etc

1. Graham 25

You mean all those highly successful, profitable companies ?

Those companies work well when the public sector are not involved. All public sector procurement is a disaster - its not difficult to work out the problem is not the contractor, but is the client.

Contractors who fail hard, go out of business quickly. Clients in the public sector who fail, never suffer the consequences and the public pay all over again.

1. notyetanotherid

Wow! That is some rose-tinted "private sector, good; public sector, bad" view.

You are right that the companies are profitable and the public have to pay all over again, but generally only because the consultants have the contracts tied tighter than a duck's arse, so they get paid to fix their f**k-ups. But the corporate donations to party funds means that the government contracts keep flowing despite the incompetence.

I have worked as coding grunt on a couple of such projects where the highly-remunerated, dick-swinging big-name consultants couldn't find their way out of a wet paper bag, never mind design a working computer system, yet they kept getting paid time and again to paper over the glaring holes in their specs.

3. werdsmith Silver badge

UK rewards Russia by protecting it from UK IT services.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You can name them, C*apita.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's clear now that sanctions against Russia are not working

They're hurting the West more than Russia and have precipitated an energy crisis that looks set to trigger a depression.

As Elon says, it's time for both sides to come to the table and end this US vs Russia proxy war madness.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1576998577758666752

1. Potemkine! Silver badge

Re: It's clear now that sanctions against Russia are not working

I tought all the Russian trolls were sent to the front to fill the gaps as cannon fodder... it seems some are still active. Hurry up trolls, Ukrainians are coming to kick your ass.

== Bring us Dabbsy back! ==

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

All Musk has done there is confirmed on Twitter that he's a dick... again.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Hey Dan 55, how much do you want to bet that the Ukraine conflict ends in a negotiated settlement?

Seriously, what do you propose as an alternative?

5. Potemkine! Silver badge

No business should be made with Russia at all as long as this fascist regime tries to conquer its neighbours.

== Bring us Dabbsy back! ==

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Facepalm

"British IT services ban"

UK IT is banning services to Putin ?

Let me join the bandwagon : I am hereby banning all Russian companies from my services.

The fact that I have never provided my services to a Russian company is beside the fact.

I have banned Russia !

Yeehaw !

7. Sgt_Oddball

How long before...

Russian game devs are hit? Some of these have concurrent players in the hundreds of thousands if not millions so it's not a stretch to think that they're going to get sanctioned too as well.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How long before...

Dont worry, soon all the 18-55 year old males in Russia will be sent to the front line, so they wont have time to play any games anymore. And if Putin's best buddy in Chechnya gets his way, so will all the 14-18 year old boys, so you can lose most of the underage players too.

No need to worry once the player base is in the trenches...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like