back to article India's Mars Orbiter Mission loses contact, burns all fuel, deemed 'non-recoverable'

India's Mangalyaan Mars Orbiter Mission has ended. The nation's Space Research Organisation (ISRO) yesterday published an outline of the proceedings of a September 27th meeting at which the state of the mission was discussed. The news was not good: communication with the orbiter was lost in April 2022, and ISRO staff believe …

1. Sampler

Still no ground penetrating radar?

How're we to know if we're being watched across the timeless gulf of space with envious eyes or not if they could be hiding underground?

1. Kane
      Alien

Re: Still no ground penetrating radar?

"How're we to know if we're being watched across the timeless gulf of space with envious eyes or not if they could be hiding underground?"

No-one would have believed...

1. Ken G Silver badge

The chances are a million to one.

1. John Robson Silver badge

So only nine times out of ten

2. breakfast Silver badge

Huge if true

So you're saying that it is far more likely that intellects vast, cool and unsympathetic are forming their plans against us, than it is I'll win the lottery?

Really makes you think.

2. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

A great achievement

Up with this kind of thing!

1. hoola Silver badge

Re: A great achievement

And for the expenditure it is probably one of the best returns for the science we got back.

1. Mike 137 Silver badge

Yes indeed. If nothing else, eight years of successful operation is pretty good going.

2. Roj Blake Silver badge

Careful now.

3. MyffyW Silver badge

Indeed it is...

Maybe the propellant is just resting in the tank?

3. Potemkine! Silver badge

Now that it's deemed 'non-recoverable', what will this probe become?

== Bring us Dabbsy back! ==

1. Little Mouse
      Headmaster

"Unrecoverable" would be my guess.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Eventually, a martian crater...

3. the spectacularly refined chap

Now that it's deemed 'non-recoverable', what will this probe become?

Target practice for an enthusiastic but junior Klingon captain. I saw a documentary about it once.

4. Jedit Silver badge
      Trollface

"Now that it's deemed 'non-recoverable', what will this probe become?"

Oh, so that's what happened to Dabbsy.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Thumb Up

"a subject of great national pride"

And with good reason.

Total success on first try.

Lasted 16 times longer than planned.

Brought back priceless science data.

Kudos to everyone involved.

1. bazza Silver badge

Re: "a subject of great national pride"

Seconded. And priceless at pretty low cost...

5. DrBobK
    Angel

From the image it captured it appears to have missed Mars altogether and instead is heading towards a giant space Yorkshire pudding.

1. Adrian 4

Better send another one to look out for the gravy.

NASA's asteroid-bashing won't work on that. You need a mutant star goat or a great white handkerchief.

1. Toni the terrible Bronze badge

Why not send a fuel tanker, I am sure there are many such bits of kit that could be revived?

1. Spherical Cow Silver badge

If you can send a fuel tanker all that way you may as well send a new probe with better instruments.

2. Horridbloke

@yorkshire pudding

I see no problem with this.

6. Captain Scarlet
    Alien

Get out of here Stalker!

Get out of here Stalker!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Get out of here Stalker!

Ah noo cheeki breeki i v damké

7. gamingninja

India have a lot of potential to do greater things. The only thing that stops India right now is politics.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes, but they are still happy to accept foreign aid from the UK.

1. Toni the terrible Bronze badge
        Holmes

Yes, why does India get Foreign Aid from the UK, Bangaladesh I understand with all that flooding, but India isn't any longer 'underdevloped' (excecpt like the USA in parts).

I understand India's point of view, I wouldnt be upset any receiving foreign aid myself

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Well here in lies the great debate about foreign aid. Most countries conflate the aid part with foreign policy. Many also with trade support to their own exporters. Hence you have aid being used to fund everything from worthy things like water purification, mosquito nets and education to air defense systems bought, mysteriously enough, from companies in the donor country.

Doesn't mean aid per se is a bad thing, nor that India doesn't deserve some (though there are possibly more deserving cases), but as a wise man once almost said:

International Development - you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

2. Swarthy

Foreign Aid, Reparations, what's the difference?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A bad manager pits employees against each other. Now scale that up to one of the two most populous nations on earth.

3. AndrueC Silver badge
      Happy

India have a lot of potential to do greater things. The only thing that stops India right now is politics.

Isn't that true for most countries?

8. Zolko Silver badge

we're loosers

Russia, USA, China can already launch people into space, India will do it in 2 years ... and what do we Europeans do ? When will WE be sending men into space ? (or women, or trans or whatever, I don't care) We are belittling and moralizing everyone about how to do and what not to do, and yet we're not even able to send someone into orbit ?

And in the mean time we sanction ourselves into oblivion so that the corrupt nutters can play dick-measuring contests (who can propose more sanctions on more countries : is there even something we didn't sanction yet ?). History will laugh at us, and our kids will ask : "What were you doing while the rest of the world conquered space ? ". And we will answer: "Ha ! WE had toilets for 5 genders ! AND we have taught Putin a lesson in how far we can go for shooting ourselves ! "

1. Timbo

Re: we're loosers

But ESA has been sending European astronauts to the ISS for years (but in American and Russian spacecraft)...and ESA have been involved in manufacturing many space satellites for years...and they have also been building rockets to launch these satellites as well.

So, you think they are falling behind because ESA has not sent their own astronauts into space in their own spacecraft using their own rockets. Such nit picking is unworthy !!

1. Zolko Silver badge

ESA has been sending European astronauts to the ISS for years (but in American and Russian spacecraft)

then Americans and Russians have been sending European astronauts into space. Nice try to spin it though : ESA = Europe

2. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge
      Facepalm

There is something "loose" in you alright.

Useless Europe sent the JWST up on such a precise path that it may well have doubled the telescope's lifetime. Bunch of failures!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not to mention ESA has been sending freighters to the ISS for years and provides the service module for Orion (if/when it ever actually launches!)

2. Zolko Silver badge

Bunch of failures

if you say so. I didn't.

3. CrackedNoggin Bronze badge

I think sending humans into space is not the pinnacle of science - it's more like soft publicity, so it was a good idea to go with the ISS for that. Over 80 engineering and science missions have been lauched by ESA - https://www.esa.int/ESA/Our_Missions

4. MyffyW Silver badge

Now I have to admit I might be biased (being a native here and all that) but there is nowhere on God's good earth that it is better to be a woman, an ethnic or religious minority, gay or indeed (relatively speaking) poor. As for the 5 gendered toilets, jog on troll.

Much of western and central Europe (including the semi-detached UK) are just about the nicest place to live. And I for one am rather proud of that.

[retreats playing ode to joy on her ukulele]

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If one ignores Poland, Hungary as being "East" - then the UK and Italy are both currently on a trajectory to negate various equality rights. I say this as a very disappointed UK person - the government is not out-of-tune with a worrying number of my neighbours and even friends.

2. Zolko Silver badge

there is nowhere on God's good earth ...

reading helps: the article is about Mars, or to a larger extent space, not Earth. Please come back when you have something useful to say about the subject at hand

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like