back to article Foldable smartphones crawl to one percent of global market share

Cross “optimise site and/or app for folding smartphones” off your to-do list: analyst firm IDC says they’re not going to be mainstream devices by the year 2026. “The biggest question today is whether foldables will become mainstream anytime soon? Unfortunately, the answer is no," said Nabila Popal, research director with IDC's …

1. Pete 2 Silver badge

The modern flip-phone

> whether foldables will become mainstream anytime soon? Unfortunately, the answer is no,

Why unfortunately? They are not a particularly good idea. I wouldn't buy one until someone can prove to me that the screen will be in the same state after ten thousand folds (in cold weather, with bits of grit wedged in the fold - as you'd get in your pocket) as it is when new.

Even then, what really is the point? It takes longer to access whatever you want to do and a screen that is twice the size is still pretty dam' small, yet with a greater area uses more power. And since it isn't as if the battery would fold, that will be constrained in size.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The modern flip-phone

I have a dual-screen, foldable phone with dual sim, dual battery, dual everything.

I've just taped two ordinary smartphones together along one edge :-)

1. KittenHuffer Silver badge

I noticed that you duct any shame by going AC!

2. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

I don't get the foldable thing, it's a solution looking for a problem. I like my devices toughned too, rubber armour, screen protector, oh and not a high price point in case the aforementioned don't save the device when once of my dogs sees a squirrel while I am holding it.

1. Steve K
        Coat

when once of my dogs sees a squirrel while I am holding it.

Easy - don't pick up a squirrel when your dog is looking

2. jdiebdhidbsusbvwbsidnsoskebid Silver badge

"I don't get the foldable thing, it's a solution looking for a problem"

For me it wouldn't be about making the screen bigger, but making the phone smaller when folded up, so it fits in a pocket better.

3. shah27

I've had the Galaxy Z Fold 3 for over a year now and it's one of the best phone I have used.

I haven't had any issues with the phone other than the battery not being as long lasting as I'd like. I would describe the phone more of a mini tablet that becomes a phone.

The funny thing is the phone looks and feels bulky at first but after a while you get use to it.

Also having the larger screen space to browse web and read is amazing. On that it is extremely comfortable for me to hold while in bed.

I do have one complaint, there are not a lot of decent accessory for the phone. Which is offset by Samsung actually giving you a free case, stylus and one of their fast chargers if you show proof of purchase.

But I think people should go with what is comfortable for them, I don't keep my phone in my pocket (had my favourite Note10 pick pocketed).

1. botfap

Im with you here, I dont understand the hate. I was gifted a Samsung Z Fold 4 in August by our Samsung rep. While its not for me as a daily driver I was reasonably impressed after using one for a week. If you view it as a small tablet that doubles as a phone it works remarkably well and the extra screen real estate makes a big difference when browsing and using office apps. And it came with a decent case and stylus. Not sure what they cost and while I personally wouldnt shell out for one, I know plenty of people that would

Its just a bit chunky compared to my iPhone 13 mini, I actually want smaller not bigger when it comes to phones, Id love to be able to get away with a dumb phone. My daughter however loves it and she was so thankful for passing it on to her she actually took me out for lunch and I didnt have to pay! Its a natural upgrade to her Samsung Galaxy Note 20

2. Rob

I just upgraded to the Fold 4 and I wasn't sure if it was the right move. After a few months of use now I totally love it. Far less of a proble to fit it in my pocket and sit down than the S22 Ultra I had before.

I thought the foldable screen would just be a gimmick but has outstripped my expectations by a huge amount.

I think this will be my future upgrade route, a sterling improvement over the Note models I used to purchase.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

People are going to say snarkey things about what others purchase because they think the world is all about them and what they like.

4. Timochka

My original Samsung Flip accumulated *far* more than 10,000 folds in the 2 years I had it (before upgrading to the latest model) - by at least one order of magnitude, if not two. I've never counted how many times I fold it per day, but it must be many dozens. And the screen and hinge remain as good as new.

Absolutely no way I'd go back to a slab phone. The foldable form is just *so* much more convenient to pocket.

1. LybsterRoy Silver badge

Quick calculation. Taking your figures at face value - 2 years, 100,000 folds is 137 (and a bit)/day. So for an average 16 hour day that's you checking your phone EVERY 7 minues.

Suggestion: get a life.

1. Steve K

It was 10,000 folds, not 100,000 I think?

5. Triggerfish

Content consumption.

Certainly in South East Asia phones for content consumption are way more common than laptops and TV, most places provide power to charge and free WiFi, lots of homes are small and people live outside them as much as possible, esp teens and young adults.

Not sure what it is like on the European side of the world, or Americas, but wouldn't surprise me if the reasons are similar.

6. DS999 Silver badge

Foldables have a market problem

Younger people don't need a bigger screen, they have no problem reading lots of content at small font sizes so they aren't going to be interested.

A bigger screen would help older people, but they are mostly not "early adopters" and are less likely to want to carry around a heavier foldable, and can afford having a separate tablet for when they want something with a bigger screen.

Foldables will have their small niche, but it will be forever a small niche.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

What do analysts know?

Fuck all apparently

Popal thinks foldables could do better if they fall to around $400 – the sweet spot for mainstream affordability. But he doesn’t want it to happen.

So, just like more memory, faster chips and high resolution screens: the technology goes mainstream once the relevant economies of scale drive prices down.

There are compelling reasons for and against foldable screens and problems still to resolve but at some point they may will probably become "normal".

As for why Apple doesn't have them yet, that's as much to do with constrained supply as anything else, because a foldable I-Pad mini sounds like a slam dunk to me. Think of how slow Apple was to adopt NFC or wireless charging…

1. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

Re: What do analysts know?

Why do you think a foldable ipad is desirable? I have a Lenovo tablet, and at no point using it, have I ever thought 'I wish I could fold this in half', so what benefit do you see?

1. Halfmad

Very good point.

iPads, iPad minis etc are not often used portably outside of the home or business and with the way remote working has gone in-person meetings are fewer and fewer so the demand by sales people etc for portability has largely vanished too.

Schools certainly don't want foldable kit, its just one more point of failure.

I think it's a hugely niche market and will remain so until the technology has proven it's worth over a number of years.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

I guess we'll have to wait and see but I can see a foldable tablet useful for a lot of field "engineers" who already have tablet based software. For them, in the right kind of case, a foldable could be very useful, because the folded would be protected and I can imagine the spin Apple would put on things when they "invent" it.

But, as has often been the case, I could be wrong! :-D

2. DS999 Silver badge

As for why Apple doesn't have them

I think the tiny market share is the main reason. Apple dropped the iPhone Mini because of "low sales" - which were estimated to be in the range of 6 to 8 million units per year!

If they introduced a folding iPhone it would be a smaller market than that, but unlike the Mini which was pretty similar to the other phones this would require a lot of engineering and parts unique to that product. You can charge more for it sure, but that's a lot of extra cost to divide across a small number of units.

I just don't see it happening anytime soon unless the market for folding phones grows a lot faster than IDC's already probably too-rosy projections.

3. Big_Boomer Silver badge

Phonebling

Foldables are about as useful as a phone covered in Swarovski crystals. Shiny and sparkly, but they just add bling and cost a small fortune. If that's your thing, then good for you, but don't expect it to become mainstream at any price. I will never want a shiny, sparkly phone, not will I ever want a foldable, but then I am an olde codger who couldn't give a flying **** about what my phone (Poco X4) says about me. It does it's various jobs adequately.

Re: Phonebling

So you don't think a larger display is useful then?

Or even more relevant, you don't believe that it is useful to anyone else because you can't see a use for it?

1. Big_Boomer Silver badge

I have a Samsung tablet with a 12" screen but I don't need that when I am out and about. A regular 6" phone screen is more than adequate and the combined price of my phone and tablet are under HALF of the cost of either of the Samsung flip-phones. As I said, if it makes you happy, then I am happy for you. All of my statements are my opinion.

2. LybsterRoy Silver badge

I've been using a foldable for ages - its a Doro 620 feature phone - great battery life, great for my life since I can't access the internet whilst out walking the dog.

Currently using my 17" laptop for typing.

4. AndrueC Silver badge
    Meh

I just don't see the point. The original flip phones made some sense because when open they were still easy to hold in one hand. But foldables seem to be just going from 'a bit combersome' to 'unpleasantly large'. I could see the value of a tablet that can fold small enough to fit in my pocket but a phone that unfolds enough to be awkward to hold but yet still has a small screen that makes me squint has no value.

5. shah27

Fan of foldable phone

There are two foldable phones form Samsung atm.

The Fold and Flip. The fold has a screen on the front you can use to access all of the functionalities of the phone without unfolding. It is a weird aspect ratio and other than websites displaying a bit weird majority of the apps I have tried work. You can also easily switch from using the front screen to tablet mode without any issues.

As for the flip however, there is a small touch screen on the front but to use the phone you need to open the phone up. My sister has the flip and really likes it.

Re: Fan of foldable phone

My mother has the flip and really likes it, I've tried it out and I can see why - it is a very effective way of having more screen in a more portable device.

Just a shame it's Android or I might have gone for one.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Fan of foldable phone

So true.

Come on Jolla, port Sailfish to the Z-flip

6. AMBxx Silver badge
    Coat

Message from the future

Apple created foldables in 2024. This article is just plain wrong.

7. hoola Silver badge

Motorola V3 series

The V3 series was one of the best flip-phones out there. Now I realise that things have moved on with touch screens and all that crap but at the end of the day it robust, usable and lasted forever. My wife had a pink one that was about 5 years old when she finally destroyed it (broke the hinge on one side).

With all the touch screen stuff foldable more of less works to make a smaller form factor with a big screen. A flip with two screens of heaven forbid a keyboard and a screen.,

All this is driven by this obsession that the only thing that matters is the size of the screen. With each increase in size & resolution the text gets ever smaller so old farts like me need to change glasses to use them.

8. trevorde Silver badge

Meanwhile at Apple...

[Tim Cook] How can we reinvent the foldable phone?

[Jony Ive] Make it with rounded corners

[TC] Good...

[JI] ..and white

[TC] ..brilliant!

[TC+JI together] AND SELL IT FOR TWICE THE PRICE!

9. that one in the corner Silver badge

Multiple parallel folds

in an A4 screen, so that it can collapse into a 30cm "stick" (with the screen completely inside) would be great. Should be strong enough to push into and pulled out of a bag without worrying about protecting a large flat panel, could even be popped into a water bottle pouch on the side of the bag. Need not pull it out completely flat to use, just unfold one or two slices.

Basically, an electronic newspaper/magazine/briefing paper that is actually as mechanically convenient as paper with the benefits of the 'tronics. That is something I'd love to have - in today's real life, the large Boox e-reader is good to use but isn't usable in the way a paper magazine is (ignoring the use of e-paper in the Boox).

We are nowhere near a foldable screen that size, but smaller phone screens are a step on that path. So I'm happy to see these phones appearing, even if I can't see these models being something I'd ever buy.

1. DS999 Silver badge

Re: Multiple parallel folds

It would work better in the form of a 'rollable'. You'd have something about the size of today's phones, but has some extra OLED display rolled up inside along one edge. So you grab it on one side and pull, and the display unrolls to become 4x wider than it was for a nice 16:9 ratio.

Using my 14 Pro Max as an example, it has a screen that is 6.08" tall and 2.8" wide. If would unroll to become 10.8" wide, for a roughly 12.4" 16:9 display. That's almost as big as the larger model of the iPad Pro (12.9") though that's still a much larger area since it is 3:2 not 16:9.

You probably would need to start with something at least as big as current phones to have room for that much display to be rolled up inside - and your battery life is going to be pretty crappy between having less internal room for a battery and much more display to power when it is unrolled.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Around 2007 I saw this exact thing at the SID show made with e-paper.

It rolled the display around with a radiused bi-fold in portrait (i.e. like you would fold a letter in 3). Rolled up it was more like a narrow (10's) cigarette pack..

It was very nicely made and opened very smoothly and naturally. It was before the thin obsession had taken off.

It was of course based on a subscription newspaper cellular blah blah business model that no one would ever have bought into. A very sweet bit of hardware however

3. Rob

I'm fairly sure I read an article way back about this is where Samsung's R&D was with screen tech before the fold and flip came out. They had developed a paper thin screen that could be rolled up. They are looking at the future where screens are paper thin and can be easily applied to things like walls etc.

That R&D tech is what brought about the fold and flip phones, although the first fold phone from Samsung wasn't really technically released due to hinge problems. I'll see if I can find the article.

10. Ball boy Silver badge

Mostly a product looking for a solution

Commercial radio has an advert pushing how the user of a flappy phone can colour in a picture while on a Zoom call. If that's their most compelling reason to upgrade then I think they're struggling to find a viable market.

Granted, will be a few genuine cases where there's a benefit but I suspect the vast majority of buyers will be the 'I need to be seen with one' users - and if that's your target market then you don't need to worry too much about lowering the price point.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If they could only revive the original flip phone

Frankly, the best flip phone format that ever was for just making calls was the Motorola v3i, but with a matte keyboard (making that shiny was a mistake).

Small, changeable battery and - classic Motorola - stupidly good voice quality and reception. It was small enough to fit pretty much anywhere, the flip format ensured the mic and speaker were where the sound actually needed to travel and it opened with a frankly amazing solidity.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Nokia 'click to shoot open' banana phone as well, and long before it appeared in the Matrix, but that had a problem in that the mic signal had to travel through contact sliders in the section that shot down, and that fouled up in a few months time, whereas the Motorola v3i's problem was never with the phone (OK, the battery needed replacing after a while) but its connection software (it was not a phone to prgram numbers into - best done on a desktop).

The phone itself and the call quality were amazing.

1. trevorde Silver badge

Re: If they could only revive the original flip phone

WTF? Nobody uses a phone to make calls anymore. It's all about apps. And messaging. And TikTok. And cat videos.

12. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

I’ve seen in movies that a screen can be projected onto thin air. So I’m going to wait for that.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like