back to article BlackCat malware lashes out at US defense IT contractor

The BlackCat ransomware gang, also known as ALPHV, has allegedly broken into IT firm NJVC, a provider of services to civilian US government agencies and the Department of Defense. DarkFeed, which monitors the dark web for ransomware intelligence, tweeted this week that BlackCat had added NJVC to its victims' list, along with …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Facepalm

Secrets Managers

That transmit passwords in cleartext.

Okay, it's been corrected, but why did it start that way in the first place ?

1. b0llchit Silver badge
      Black Helicopters

Re: Secrets Managers

Usually, competence is called into question before malice is assumed.

In this particular case... the suspicion of external force to "do the right thing for your country" seems to be an eligible pick in the malice camp. All the intelligence communities of the world would be aligned on this particular topic if they can have a spell-check check-stream too! If that is not a good enough reason for malice then I don't know what is.

Question: who pwns google, microsoft, apple and amazon? Must be the NSAFSBGCHQETC kind of sharestakeholders.

1. druck Silver badge

Question: who pwns google, microsoft, apple and amazon?

If the spelling data is being transmitted in plain text, anyone providing a public WiFi hotspot could pwn them.

2. VTAMguy

Good question, but it hasn't really been corrected at all, has it? Instead, as is the usual practice, every website in the world now has to take defensive measures to protect against the depradations of a few big monopolistic companies who just really don't care at all about anything except their ad money. Everyone now has to put spellcheck=no on their web forms to prevent user passwords from being sucked up into Google-borg? Fuck you.

1. veti Silver badge
        Facepalm

Not the form, but on the specific fields containing "sensitive data".

I'm sure everyone in the world who maintains any kind of Web form is even now stuck in a furious cycle of meetings and legal advice to determine which fields are "sensitive".

Yup. 'Cuz they've none of them got anything better to do.

2. stiine Silver badge
    Facepalm

LAUSD

"... but did say that there had been no new security breaches since the incident, ..."

So, all of the existing hackers, except the one who asked for ransom are still there?

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

the list is exhaustive

Doesn't that usually mean "complete"? We usually use "non-exhuastive" to mean incomplete.

So is this an error on the part of the author or are they saying we know everything about the every type of bug ever deployed in the cold war?

1. Irony Deficient

Re: the list is exhaustive

Doesn’t that usually mean “complete”? […] So is this an error on the part of the author […]?

Usually, yes. It would most likely be an error if his intention was to describe the list as “all-encompassing”, in which case describing the list as “extensive” would have been more accurate. It might not have been an error, though, if he’d meant “exhaustive” in its less common “exhausting” meaning.

PS: It appears that El Reg’s CSS has been changed recently to reduce the size of text, from 19px to 16px in comment headers and from 16px to 14px in comment text. Having imperfect eyesight, I prefer the larger size, so I guess that it’s time to make use of the Stylus add-on to revert these changes in my browser.

1. ThatOne Silver badge
        Flame

> It appears that El Reg’s CSS has been changed recently

...to generally reduce usability. Like removing the "visited link" color difference, so one can't spot on a glance where he had stopped reading last time. Great idea! What's usability compared to style! After all it only has to satisfy the marketing goons, screw the visitors.

1. veti Silver badge

Huh? Visited links still clearly different over here.

1. ThatOne Silver badge
            Unhappy

> Huh? Visited links still clearly different over here.

Could you please elaborate? Which browser?

I'm using Firefox latest, and since the makeover the already visited articles on the homepage remain black (were some kind of blueish before). Very annoying, and apparently I'm not the only one.

2. Irony Deficient

Like removing the “visited link” color difference,

Between El Reg’s scaffolding.css and design.css files, there are a couple of dozen places where :visited colors are specified (there are still several colors being used in different places). This is exactly the type of thing for which Stylus can be used, to specify your preferred color(s) [or text decorations such as underlining] in the relevant document parts, if you use a browser that supports Stylus.

I took a look at older versions of their CSS files thanks to archive.org, and they’ve been specifying 14px body text for some time now. I don’t know why it was rendered as 16px in my browser until this past weekend — perhaps a recent change to a CSS media query that happened to match my setup? At any rate, it’s back to 16px here, thanks to the add-on.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like